Age starting medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
26 here. If all goes according to plan, I'll be 27 when I start MS1.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my second year of medical school and now am preparing for Level 1 COMLEX, after age 50. There are many students who have entered med school in their 50's. In fact, "The DO Magazine" just did an article which is to be released this month on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just realized I never posted here.

I was 27 the day I matriculated. Almost done with MS1; can't decide whether I feel 24 or 32 now.

If you feel younger, tell me your secret!! :D

I got way more distinguished by the time I finished basic sciences. distinguished being that euphemism for getting white hair on my temples lol

I don't dye it so my classmates remember I'm 35, cuz I'm graced w/ the Asian genetics to be asked, "What is your major?" when I tell other people I'm in school.

I'll be MS4 @ 36 soon.

I started med school last month. I'm currently 39. No, I'm not the oldest in my class. :)

Gotta love that this post is roughly 7 years old and 7 years later you're a resident.

I'll be 32 starting as an OMS-1 in 1.5 months!!
Gotta say I'm krazy excited and perhaps I'll look back at this in 4-7 years and see where I'm at.

I love all of you starting med school at 30+. I love you all. like i really do. I am your friend forever *hugs

I know my post is corny.

But i really love you all :love: blows kisses

I love all of you starting med school at 30+. I love you all. like i really do. I am your friend forever *hugs

I know my post is corny.

But i really love you all :love: blows kisses

That's what we're here for, Malaika. To give hope and share our old age wisdom. We love you too :)

I'm 33 as of today. So, I'll be starting med school when I'm 34.

I didn't finish my first bachelor's until I was 26; finished the second at 30; got the master's at 32.

I didn't finish my first bachelor's until I was 26; finished the second at 30; got the master's at 32.

Happy Birthday young man.
congrats on getting in medical school.

Don't forget the non-trad students who are now looking to you as inspiration.
Let us know how your first year of medical school goes.

You are my hero :love:

So attended a resident graduation tonight for work. Top ER doctor was 55ish (still super hot, waddap) and a father of four. I wanted to hug him and thank him for the inspiration. I got emotional... so woohoo to the nontrads out there, were rooting for you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 30 next month and ready to apply next summer, so this is around about my time frame. The doctors I work with always tell me, "You can be 40 and a doctor, or you can just be 40." Glad to see someone else out there has done it before me. Thanks!

Yes, you just have to DO IT!!! BE NIKE!!!!

Old enough to remember when music didn't suck...

27 here, if all goes as planned I'll start MS-1 at 28. Glad to see I'm with good company.

I'm 27 but I'll be 29 after I'm done with Post Bac work and accepted (if I get in first round). I can't imagine entering school any earlier, although some people may have the maturity earlier but I think most don't. All of the doctors I work with agree. I think some people need to wait even longer. I think entering medical school in your thirties or close to it is the right way to go. Finding out who you are is what your twenties are for. Buckling down and pursuing your career is for your thirties. I have acquaintances who became doctors at age 26 and are incredibly, painfully awkward with patients and are having a hard time with life. That's what happens when you isolate yourself and study like mad when your brain is still developing. I'd rather isolate myself with at least a fully developed brain. And more power to you if you add additional life experience to that and enter school in your forties. Good luck to you all.

I'm 27 but I'll be 29 after I'm done with Post Bac work and accepted (if I get in first round). I can't imagine entering school any earlier, although some people may have the maturity earlier but I think most don't. All of the doctors I work with agree. I think some people need to wait even longer. I think entering medical school in your thirties or close to it is the right way to go. Finding out who you are is what your twenties are for. Buckling down and pursuing your career is for your thirties. I have acquaintances who became doctors at age 26 and are incredibly, painfully awkward with patients and are having a hard time with life. That's what happens when you isolate yourself and study like mad when your brain is still developing. I'd rather isolate myself with at least a fully developed brain. And more power to you if you add additional life experience to that and enter school in your forties. Good luck to you all.

Amen, this is how I feel about 85% of the residents and med students. But a resident at the hospital I work at just won outstanding resident and he's 26 so it varies.

Last edited:
I am 44 and will 45 at time of start, if accepted. The age thing doesn't scare me at all. My mom worked in her profession till she was 78. People in my current profession try to talk me out of it due to the "incredible debt" I will create....I respond by saying, my hubbie and I created $100,000 in debt in 3 years and just paid it off in 18 months working 60 hour work weeks, so tuition of $120,000 doesn't scare me at all. Its funny to visit and share significant life experiences (birth, death, near bankruptcy, owning businesses, completing Ironmans, winning 10 state couples golf championships in a row, etc), with my fellow classmates (I am knocking off my only missing pre-reqs, Physics and Org Chem), all pre-dental and pre-med, ages 20-22, with extremely limited life experiences thus far....

I vibe w/ this. And I'm amazed at the man I become because of the adversities and tribulations I faced. My dad dying when I was 19, my best friend dying when I was 22 just to name a couple significant deaths out of a dozen or so, and I mean aunts uncles cousins grandparents, not random acquaintances. Like I just wrote significant.

The grieving process already ******ed my "development", but my friends who went traditionally thru med school were also ******ed in their development. And I wonder if now that some of them are practicing physicians, if they ever sit down and think, "HOLY S*** this is who I am as a person.

And I internally comment so many times when I go out on dates w/ girls (yes, I'm going to say girls :p ) who are 10 years younger than me. And the disparity of what I THINK adults in society should know thru experience, and what they actually do, we might all think is a lot. These girls are my female classmates.

I am getting to the 4th out of 4 years of medical school and I fully understand how a person could be developmentally STUNTED during these years. What happens is traditional students end up being grown up versions of their college selves. I've commented in other threads about this part, and believe I was a douchey arrogant self-centered a-holio when I was in college. Well, until my dad died. However, let's say I somehow managed to follow my college friends to med school the Fall we graduated...if I basically grew into a 35 year old version of college me, I'd be the wrong kind of doctor. *shudders*

As an aside, how long do you think it takes the boys in my class to drop "med student" to a girl at a bar?? :rolleyes:

I vibe w/ this. And I'm amazed at the man I become because of the adversities and tribulations I faced. My dad dying when I was 19, my best friend dying when I was 22 just to name a couple significant deaths out of a dozen or so, and I mean aunts uncles cousins grandparents, not random acquaintances. Like I just wrote significant.

The grieving process already ******ed my "development", but my friends who went traditionally thru med school were also ******ed in their development. And I wonder if now that some of them are practicing physicians, if they ever sit down and think, "HOLY S*** this is who I am as a person.

And I internally comment so many times when I go out on dates w/ girls (yes, I'm going to say girls :p ) who are 10 years younger than me. And the disparity of what I THINK adults in society should know thru experience, and what they actually do, we might all think is a lot. These girls are my female classmates.

I am getting to the 4th out of 4 years of medical school and I fully understand how a person could be developmentally STUNTED during these years. What happens is traditional students end up being grown up versions of their college selves. I've commented in other threads about this part, and believe I was a douchey arrogant self-centered a-holio when I was in college. Well, until my dad died. However, let's say I somehow managed to follow my college friends to med school the Fall we graduated...if I basically grew into a 35 year old version of college me, I'd be the wrong kind of doctor. *shudders*

As an aside, how long do you think it takes the boys in my class to drop "med student" to a girl at a bar?? :rolleyes:

My ex husband started med school at 19 and graduated at 25. I basically was married to a 19 year old that didnt know how to think of others or make any decisions for himself without parental intervention. Wouldn't ask his wife for her input and your comment really drove that home.

I with what your saying.

Let me guess, they shout it as they walk in?

I think the "right" time to go to medical school varies from person to person. I started undergrad as a cookie-cutter "perfect student" because that was what was always expected of me. If I would have continued down that path, my stats etc. would probably have been amazing on paper as a traditional applicant. However, I had absolutely no self-awareness, compassion for people different than myself, or understanding of life. After a fine arts degree, travel to 12+ countries, and a lot of soul-searching, I finally feel comfortable in my own skin and able to give back to my community and world as a physician. I'm 28 and I was just given a deferred acceptance for 2014, so I shall be 29 when I begin med school. (woohoo! :D)

I think the "right" time to go to medical school varies from person to person. I started undergrad as a cookie-cutter "perfect student" because that was what was always expected of me. If I would have continued down that path, my stats etc. would probably have been amazing on paper as a traditional applicant. However, I had absolutely no self-awareness, compassion for people different than myself, or understanding of life. After a fine arts degree, travel to 12+ countries, and a lot of soul-searching, I finally feel comfortable in my own skin and able to give back to my community and world as a physician. I'm 28 and I was just given a deferred acceptance for 2014, so I shall be 29 when I begin med school. (woohoo! :D)

Hey, i am curious - why a deferred admittance? Didn't even know that was possible

My ex husband started med school at 19 and graduated at 25. I basically was married to a 19 year old that didnt know how to think of others or make any decisions for himself without parental intervention. Wouldn't ask his wife for her input and your comment really drove that home.

I with what your saying.

lol :laugh:
I think their med status seem to make them think they have a first class ticket to everything in life and they don't need to work for anything else including their relationship/marriage. They believe others should worship and tolerate them just because they are an "almighty doctor" :sleep:
Female doctors don't seem to have this problem however.

I with what your saying.

You certainly had a "front-row seat" to the stunting the time-intensive soul sapping process of medical school. Until someone actually knows the time commitment and how much studying is involved in medical school, it's probably really tough to grasp how little time there is for "personal development". Getting stuck at whatever social/developmental phase you are when you begin day 1 is status quo. There is little time to grow as an individual.

Your social interactions become so limited to other students and doctors/faculty, your social excursions towards further development is VERY limited.

This does not mean that every non-trad is adept at social development or personality discoveries either. I know quite a few cohorts not in medical school who behave exactly like 22 year old me...at 35.

In response to my question, since my classmates are MY social interaction (as I said), all the traditional students generally do this same "approach".

Male med student: "Hi. I'm so ready to have a few drinks and let loose. I've had quite a week." (relevant response or pregnant pause)

"I've been studying so much, since that's all we do. I'm in med school" (another pause, apparently for female target to wet panties :rolleyes: )

Although now that I'm MS3, it has been changed to.
"I've been so busy at the hospital, treating patients. I'm 3rd year medical student."

Male residents ALSO do this, FYI lol

Effectiveness = 5%

Thank you, women for having reasonable judgment. :thumbup:

Hey, i am curious - why a deferred admittance? Didn't even know that was possible

I didn't either! As far as I know it hasn't happened before...somehow MSU CHM ended up overcapacity this year and couldn't take anyone from the alternate list, so they made an exception for a few people and gave them deferred admission. It was my favorite school, so I'm extremely happy about it! :)

Last edited:
Do you think that 35-40 is too late to start medical school? I was just curious about the ages of the non-trads that are starting medical school. Thanks :)
I just completed my second year, and I'm 50. A classmate is 45.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?"

I didn't either! As far as I know it hasn't happened before...somehow MSU CHM ended up overcapacity this year and couldn't take anyone from the alternate list, so they made an exception for a few people and gave them deferred admission. It was my favorite school, so I'm extremely happy about it! :)
That's nice! Congrats :D

And KUDOS: mcomeau and crawdad :thumbup:

Wow .. congrats to all of you to keep your dreams alive even at an older age. Good luck.

I actually am a traditional student and I have some age realted questions.

I just graduated college in May and I am 21. I planned to take a 1 yr gap year and am applying for the 2014-15 cycle ....

... however I think I actually may have to have a 2 yr gap year and thus apply for the 2015-16 yr (because of mcats)

That would make me 24 yrs old for the 2015-16 cycle ...
I know this is not old compared to many of you, but i am really worried about age. How does this age look when entering med school? Is there anything wrong with this? Also how old are the common entering med student?

This probelm makes it even hard to explain to my parents. They definitely dont want me to be pushed bak that much becuase honestly they (especially my dad) is pretty old.

Being traditional, Indian parents they would want me to get married soon but i want to get 2 yrs in med school before thinking about any of that.

So please help for any support and advice.
THANKS!

Wow .. congrats to all of you to keep your dreams alive even at an older age. Good luck.

I just graduated college in May and I am 21. I planned to take a 1 yr gap year and am applying for the 2014-15 cycle ....

... however I think I actually may have to have a 2 yr gap year and thus apply for the 2015-16 yr (because of mcats)

I know this is not old compared to many of you, but i am really worried about age. How does this age look when entering med school? Is there anything wrong with this? Also how old are the common entering med student?

This probelm makes it even hard to explain to my parents. They definitely dont want me to be pushed bak that much becuase honestly they (especially my dad) is pretty old.

Being traditional, Indian parents they would want me to get married soon but i want to get 2 yrs in med school before thinking about any of that.

THANKS!

24 is definitely not a problem at all. It may even be the mean age for matriculants if I remember properly. Just be sure to stay busy during your gap years and you will be fine.

About the marriage, my suggestion is to not close the door to it just simply because you want to get halfway through med school. You may meet that special person between now and then, and if you start to think that marriage feels right, do it. There are lots of advantages to being happily married in school (some disadvantages too). A little waiting won't hurt, but if it is what your partner wants and you truly love them, you don't want to take the chance on alienating them too much.

THANKS!

Dude.

When I was 21, I was in the Army. I never went to high school, because my family was... dysfunctional, and I ended up on the street when I was 15.

I had 6 years of learning how to fake it to survive in an adult world, and I still didn't know my ******* from my elbow by then. At 21, you're still basically a kid. Why do you want to be a doc? Is it because your parents expect you to be one? What are you passionate about? What have you done in your life that hasn't involved preparing you to get married and be a doctor?

If you wait until you're 24 to go to medical school, you have 2-3 precious years where you can do some self-exploration and dig into your passions. If you really have an intrinsic, heart-and-soul boner for medicine, take that time to prove it to yourself. Do you have ties to India? If so, go there and volunteer at a clinic, or with an organization who administers vaccinations to the swelling population of poor kids. Or you could join the fire department and become an EMT. Your first call as a charge EMT is a pretty real "come-to-Jesus" moment (as my grandmother would say).

Being around sick people with tangible medical complaints puts a face and a purpose behind what it means to become a doctor. You could come out at the top of your med school class, and be the smartest motherfuker in the world, but if you can't connect with people because you grew up with your nose in a book, you are probably going to suck at being a doctor.

(By the way, I'm writing all of this because I get the sense that you have a yearning to explore life and grow a little before committing the next 8 years of your life to med school and residency.)

I realize that your traditional Indian parents are putting a lot of pressure on you. They probably slaved and sacrificed to get you every advantage to succeed in life. That's awesome, and they are probably great parents-- but that doesn't give them license to dictate the course your life will take. Ultimately, your happiness and satisfaction with your life will factor into how successful you are.

Taking a couple of years to mature and experience life will only help you become a better doctor.

(P.S. I'm 33, a paramedic, and just now finishing my undergrad. I'm taking the MCAT in April 2014. I am we'll behind the curve, but my life experience makes me a better provider.)

(P.P.S. I'm 4 beers deep and my social filter is off. I won't be offended if you take this with a grain of salt.)

Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate this thread, thanks everyone.

I'm a 25 year old, who has struggled since my mom died when I was 19. I feel as if I haven't accomplished anything because I see my peers graduating from dental school, pharm school, etc (even though sometimes I feel like finishing my BS and MS in Bio having dealt with all the problems I've had aside from my mom dying was a tremendous accomplishment itself). I've wanted to go into medicine for the longest time but I feel like its taking me so long to get there. I still have some classes to retake and if I don't get in during my second attempt, I will try to do a linkage masters program. That means I probably won't start med school until I'm 28-29. Not sure, why I'm in such a rush. I guess I'm just comparing myself to my peers.

Anyway, that's my long rant and I really do appreciate everyone discussing their experiences here!

I really appreciate this thread, thanks everyone.

I'm a 25 year old, who has struggled since my mom died when I was 19. I feel as if I haven't accomplished anything because I see my peers graduating from dental school, pharm school, etc (even though sometimes I feel like finishing my BS and MS in Bio having dealt with all the problems I've had aside from my mom dying was a tremendous accomplishment itself). I've wanted to go into medicine for the longest time but I feel like its taking me so long to get there. I still have some classes to retake and if I don't get in during my second attempt, I will try to do a linkage masters program. That means I probably won't start med school until I'm 28-29. Not sure, why I'm in such a rush. I guess I'm just comparing myself to my peers.

Anyway, that's my long rant and I really do appreciate everyone discussing their experiences here!

Do not get down on yourself. It is much harder without parents there to support you. My world ended when my mom died when I was 25. It takes time to recover, move forward, and have the stability it takes to go to medical/dental school. I went to med school at 32. You can make it, just give yourself the time to do it right because being on your own is that much harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Eww. More members of the dead parent club.

ilustrisimo08, wow. Your post really hits home. My dad died when I was 19. I was home for Thanksgiving break. I went back to school, against advice of my counselor, and basically wrecked my GPA for a couple semesters. Thinking (and probably wrongly) that my dad would want me to be a man, be tough, finish school in 4 years. Not mourn his death. Go forward.

Anyways, to not get to elaborate (if you want more elaborate, PM me), my best piece of advice is to go to therapy! It was the wisest thing I did. I don't find it a coincidence that by the time my therapist told me I was properly dealing w/ my problems emotionally/mentally/spiritually I was accepted to med school. I honestly believe it was the byproduct of me finally confronting my "demons". In the end, my problems started before he died. It was compounded by it sure, but as I waded thru life trying to "fix" myself, I actually did a good job accepting his death, but I was unable to see I had tangential issues/obstacles.

Your story sounds similar to mine. I started med school @ 32 :) Good luck. If you need anything, PM me!

Starting DO Linkage MS program at 26 (almost 27)
Hopefully enter the DO school I'm doing the post bacc at at 27 (almost 28)

I am an OLD dog by age...but thank God I look young for my age :D

Do you think that 35-40 is too late to start medical school? I was just curious about the ages of the non-trads that are starting medical school. Thanks :)

No. I believe in equality and the lengths at which people achieve it. I wish you nothing but the best.

I will be a second year MD student and was the oldest student in my school the past year.
Until the first year students just arrived. Two of them are in their 50s!

Keep on trucking folks. Forget the age thing. It makes us shine

I will be a second year MD student and was the oldest student in my school the past year.
Until the first year students just arrived. Two of them are in their 50s!

Keep on trucking folks. Forget the age thing. It makes us shine

I appreciate how positive your posts are. They are a great reminder to just keep moving toward the goal and let the rest of the bs fall by the wayside.

Not sure if I responded to this yet, but best case scenario is 35/36 when I matriculate. Sometimes it freaks me out, but most of the time I think it will be a benefit. I just wasn't ready for this at 22.

I appreciate how positive your posts are. They are a great reminder to just keep moving toward the goal and let the rest of the bs fall by the wayside.

Not sure if I responded to this yet, but best case scenario is 35/36 when I matriculate. Sometimes it freaks me out, but most of the time I think it will be a benefit. I just wasn't ready for this at 22.

Thank you. You are welcome. This is the first time I'm posting to SDN in weeks since my family joined me in medical school. Sorry but they are much more important and I know most will understand. I write here on SDN and on my blog for two reasons: help others and practice my craft. I'm a writer so the more I write the better the odds are of being a published MD author.

Let me be clear: your age will only be an [asset and nothing less. If you can prove to an MD or DO school that you have what it takes to get accepted, YOU WILL SHINE AND BE THE STRONGEST LINK. Chances are those admins will pull you aside your first few months of your first year in medical school and tell you they want you to lead and influence the young students. I politely declined.

I saw this large chasm during my first year: in clinics, during patient interactions, approaching the cadavers, the questions I asked professors in classes, my interactions with admin and faculty after lectures or must walking on campus. My faculty routinely told me they really appreciated my presence in school. I routinely told them I was thankful for being accepted.

Some young classmates resented me because they felt I got preferential treatment. Other classmates pulled me aside and told me they resented their classmates for being so childish. Either way I kept my feet firmly on the ground because eventually all of these people soon will be in my past and I wont see them again. I'm old enough to know better.

The only people who throw spiteful comments about your older age in medical school are few medical students who feel threatened. Read the posts on SDN in response to my posts and you can see for yourself.

Don't lower yourself to their level.
You know more about life than they
Remember who loves and supports you as they are the ones that matter.
You have experienced alot of pain, hardship, and have the scars to show for your maturity that the kids can't grasp. They'll come around eventually - maybe. But don't get sidetracked by them.

Faculty and admins have nothing less than total respect for older MD students. Know it. Claim it. Live it. They are a great asset to you as an older medical student. Reach out to them. They'll be thankful you did.

Hurry up and get accepted already. You are sorely needed.

Salut!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello and congrats on that,
I will be taking my mcat for a second time at age 49. I have a BS Biology / premedicine.

thank you I needed that.

taking my mcat for the second time.

Thank you so much for that! Sometimes I forget I am only 28 probably 29/30 by the time I start medschool and that I still have a lifetime ahead to fluorish as a physician. I get caught up on the family/getting married/having kids/ having a life and I forget that all of that can happen while I still pursue my passion.

Thank you so much for that! Sometimes I forget I am only 28 probably 29/30 by the time I start medschool and that I still have a lifetime ahead to fluorish as a physician. I get caught up on the family/getting married/having kids/ having a life and I forget that all of that can happen while I still pursue my passion.

Hey, I have a clone here. :)