Ah, organic chemistry will be the death of me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebeatgoeson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's Friday night and I'm sitting here studying organic chemistry, listening to Pink Floyd, and thinking of all those pretty blondes dancing the night away without me.

And I wonder why do I take this dreary class? Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating stuff, but at this moment seems very very very useless.
If I could take 'The Organic Chemistry of Psychopharmacology' I think I would be the happiest student in the world.

But no. I sit here and think, "Man would a 'C' really be that bad in orgo?"

So hit me with motivational things! Did you bite the 'C-bullet' in a pre-req? (then fail to get admittance). Or did ya suck it up and rock your GPA cause we all know blondes love successful doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

thebeatgoeson said:
So it's Friday night and I'm sitting here studying organic chemistry, listening to Pink Floyd, and thinking of all those pretty blondes dancing the night away without me.

And I wonder why do I take this dreary class? Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating stuff, but at this moment seems very very very useless.
If I could take 'The Organic Chemistry of Psychopharmacology' I think I would be the happiest student in the world.

So hit me with motivational things! Did you bite the 'C-bullet' in a pre-req? (then fail to get admittance). Or did ya suck it up and rock your GPA cause we all know blondes love successful doctors.

Joke for you:

There was this organic chesmistry class you see. And this teacher was an old professor with a hunchback and thick glasses.

The professor was drawing some cyclohexanes and anti-Markovnikov water reactions on the blackboard. Then he asked, "When the hydrogen atom is pointed upwards from the plane of the carbon chain, what do we call that class?"

And a really arrogant and preppy girl who was majoring in biology raised her hand and said, "What does this have to do with medical school?"

The professor replied, "To keep idiot like you out of medical school!" :laugh:

Sadly this is a true story :(

Members don't see this ad :)
SQUIX06 said:
pink floyd rocks!

Haha, preppy girl gets pwned!!
Oh wait, it's an indirect reference to me. lol. I've become "that pre-med guy".
;)

I agree... we should all chill out and think about doing things that we enjoy, find fascinating, and love the JOURNEY of it all!

“For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.”

Hmm... there are better ones.

"A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Look on the bright side. At least you aren't having your @ss handed to you in biochem. It makes the O chem experience seem like a slice of heaven.

thebeatgoeson said:

Hi there,
Those pretty blondes will be there dancing when you are spending your Friday nights slugging away at Biochemistry, Physiology, Gross Anatomy and all those other medical school classes.

When you are driving your Ferarri as a big, rich doc, they will be flocking to you. Just imagine the sound of that engine and the smell of Italian leather. :thumbup:

Hang in there and get the job done. Sure it might seem painful now but NOT getting into medical school is more painful. Study hard and keep the faith. Remember: Italian leather...!!

njbmd :cool:

at my school there were no attractive girls to distract me. maybe that's what i got such good grades.

Dude,

if you think your going to get a ferrari from being a dr, i think you need to look alittle deeper than that. With medicare the way it is, you'll be lucky to get a new porsche 911 every year.

seriously... my study tips:

study orgo every day, go over your notes in the afternoon after your class. use flash cards to learn all of the rxs by heart. don't wait until just 1-2 days before the test, because you won't be able to learn it all.

Also, try to get practice tests or practice questions. I think taking a C in orgo is the last thing you'd ever want to do.

The same went for biochem, but I thought it was easier that orgo.

CatsandCradles said:
Joke for you:

There was this organic chesmistry class you see. And this teacher was an old professor with a hunchback and thick glasses.

The professor was drawing some cyclohexanes and anti-Markovnikov water reactions on the blackboard. Then he asked, "When the hydrogen atom is pointed upwards from the plane of the carbon chain, what do we call that class?"

And a really arrogant and preppy girl who was majoring in biology raised her hand and said, "What does this have to do with medical school?"

The professor replied, "To keep idiot like you out of medical school!" :laugh:

Sadly this is a true story :(

thats hilarious!!! But yeah...this girl wrote on her orgo final paper ...
Excuse me professor, I am diene...... (dying)
Oh and by the way, I actually "love" organic chemistry. If you have to take physical chemistry, then you will know what i mean. Physical chem has nothing to do with med school. Why do i need to know what temperature hydrogen requires for oscillations is?? thats about as abstract a class as i have ever had. At least orgo, u can feel smart about those medications....when you see their generic names....

thebeatgoeson said:

Hey I totally feel you on this one, I too suffered thru O-Chem at Tulane and though it all seems so pointless, remember that O-chem is a huge chunk of your bio score on the MCAT so it is important to get a good grasp on it. My best advice is to stop trying to simply memorize the whole crazy list of reactions and try to see the big picture, understanding why the electrons move where they move . . . so eventually you can BS with electrons . ..if you understand what motivates electrons to move, you can look at two molecules and figure out where they will go, and then what the result of that movement will be and so on and so forth until you have a final stable product. This may sound a bit abstract but focusing on the big picture really helped me alot. BTW who's your proff? Good luck!