AI for 4th year, psych or medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JanusKinase

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for 4th year, we're given the option of doing an AI in any of the core rotations. I know a strong medicine foundation is great for intern year and neurology in general, but there is also a lot of overlap with psychiatry. In addition, I would also do an ICU rotation.

Would you recommend doing a Medicine AI or a Psych AI?
What are the pros and cons of either?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So for 4th year, we're given the option of doing an AI in any of the core rotations. I know a strong medicine foundation is great for intern year and neurology in general, but there is also a lot of overlap with psychiatry. In addition, I would also do an ICU rotation.

Thanks!

In my opinion, a strong showing at your medicine sub-I may get you a great recommendation letter in the end that you may use for prelim programs when applying. I don't think a psych letter will carry the same weight with the neuro programs.

Depends on what you want from the rotation. If you're looking to get the strongest preparation for your residency and something that will look stronger on your application, I would do the Medicine AI. If you're just looking to gain some experience and take it easier on yourself, I would do the Psych AI. Personally, I did both AIs in my 4th year because I was going into Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our school has everyone do a medicine SubI/AI and I think it helped a lot with step 2 CK. The psych one will also be helpful b/c there's only one month mandated in residency and if it's interesting to you there's never enough time for it. If you can do both, do both, but if you have to choose only one do medicine.

Thanks!
Personally, I think doing another medicine floor month is pointless. You will have plenty of training in general medicine during internship.

Choose a rotation where you feel you'd have more fun, which imo would be psych. It's a lot less taxing for you as a 4th year (you'll need the rest before internship, believe me).

While ICU rotation is labor intensive, you will easily learn a TON more than in either psych or floor medicine. Of all the rotations you can take as a medical student, ICU is one where you will gain the most hard-core medicine knowledge. Thoroughly recommend icu.

choose rotations with good hours. You can still impress with 1st shift hours at 5 days a week