Air Force COT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahlindner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously PT is important, and not meeting standards can cause problems down the line in your AF career, but not when you first get to COT. I was just at COT last year and I don't think it has changed much since then (from talking to others). The way it worked for us is that the first week we took a PT test and got a score. If you failed that first one, either in any single component or overall, there were consequences at COT - if I remember, you were ineligible to hold leadership positions at COT, ineligible for distinguished graduate, and maybe you stayed one phase below everyone else for privileges until you remediated (I may be wrong about that last one). But that was just at COT, the PT test score itself didn't carry over to your AF file.

Then I think people got chances to remediate during COT, so you can phase up with everyone else. Then, near the end, you take another PT test. It's to see how you've improved, and if you score above a certain level then you get a bullet on your training report. Even then, if you fail any component, you still graduate from COT. I know this because I know a few people who failed both PT tests and still graduated from COT. Basically, the PT tests at COT don't really count. Even people who passed or got excellent scores still had to go to their first duty stations and take a "real" PT test. Now, if you go to your first duty station and keep failing then eventually your career could be in jeopardy but don't worry about it for COT. Just try to get in as best shape as you can before you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I will say that there is absolutely zero excuse why a first time PT test taker would fail the exam. You knew from the very beginning that you had to be in shape to join the military; now do it. That being said, PT tests, at least for physicians, have zero bearing on our careers. There are doctors at my current duty station who have not passed a physical fitness exam in years and continue to be promoted. If you are in one of the other Air Force career fields that is currently oversaturated (such as nursing) then you might run into a problem.

You will also learn throughout your time in the Air Force that there are many mandatory activities which serve no other role then to check a box that you completed them. You could be a god-awful physician who half-assess his way through life and so long as you complete mandatory training requirements and file all of the paperwork on time, you will still get promoted. It's one of the sad facts of the military that is constantly bemoaned on this website: your value to the Department of Defense is based entirely on paperwork, checkboxes, and navigating the bureaucracy. It has nothing to do with your competence in your career field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So do I think the PT test is a stupid waste of time? Absolutely. Do I think the four metrics -- pushups, situps, waist circumference and a 1.5 mile run are idiotic and do damage to people? Absolutely. Do I think that it has motivated me to stay in better shape? Without question.

Use it as motivation to get in better shape... think of your stress curve. Use it as "good stress" to motivate you to get your ass to the gym. Do some P90 or P90X or insanity even. It's hard work, but you should get accustomed to that now if you're a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Great answers. Also, what happens at COT if you are over your required weight according to your height? Even 5 or 10 pounds?

I've been accepted into USUHS for the Air Force and will be attending COT this summer. I'm a little worried about the physical fitness test, because I'm absolutely horrible at pushups/situps. I'm trying to train myself to get in shape in the next month, but I dunno if that will be enough...

Is there a real chance of failing the physical fitness test? Will I be kicked out? Blah I hope I'm not being overly anxious...
I have no experience with COT (HPOIC grad c1993) but you should get in some minimal shape or you will be miserable for the next 14 years (4+ at least 3+7). Army residents who don't pass their PT test by the end of the academic year are taken out of training until they pass, it might happen to the Air Force someday. You also have to go to mandatory 0500/0530 daily fitness sessions led by some really fit 23 year old so that can really be a pain (or a perk as your very own free personal trainer), especially cramps your ability to function as a resident or staff and parent as applicable.