Air Force MSW HSPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cassis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I joined here to see if anyone else in the MSW program applied for the Air Force HSPS. If you did, what was your GPA?
and what are the stories you heard? My recruiter told me there are only 10 spots this year, and the board will given an answer February 15th.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I did not apply for the Air Force HSPS this year, and actually am not in a MSW program either. I got my MA in MFT and am working as a therapist. Plan on going back to school for Social Work, since they do not have an MOS for MFTs and my goal is to join the military. I would love to hear about your experience applying for the scholarship. Would you mind telling me what program you are attending and at what point you apply for the scholarship? If they let you know around feb, then I'm assuming you would have to apply during ur first year in the program as most acceptance letters to programs aren't out by that time during the application year...

Sorry, you came here for information and I just bombard you with questions!

Hello! I did not apply for the Air Force HSPS this year, and actually am not in a MSW program either. I got my MA in MFT and am working as a therapist. Plan on going back to school for Social Work, since they do not have an MOS for MFTs and my goal is to join the military. I would love to hear about your experience applying for the scholarship. Would you mind telling me what program you are attending and at what point you apply for the scholarship? If they let you know around feb, then I'm assuming you would have to apply during ur first year in the program as most acceptance letters to programs aren't out by that time during the application year...

Sorry, you came here for information and I just bombard you with questions!

Not a problem.
I am in my second year in the MSW program , and I applied back in May 2012 ( during ym first year) for the HSPS scholarship. I wanted to apply for the guaranteed job in the military after graduation. The scholarship pays for your 2 year MSW program ( must be clinical) and a $2088 stipend every month to help pay for living. You will hear that the scholarship is competitive; however, no information on how competitive the social work scholarship is. Majority of the of those stories come from the doctor and dentist HSPS, which they have their own number of applicants per year. Also, awards are given out in February and August.
The recruiter was straight forward. You have to submit applications, go through MEPS, and a phone interview with a Social Worker in the Air Force.

1. Application process
This is not too bad. You just fill out the question of you history. You have to give your educational history, criminal history ( if you have one), drug usage history ( if you ever done any), and submit a questionnaire essay. All your transcripts must be sent to the recruiter.
2.MEPS
It is the medical facility that check if you are medically qualified to serve in the military. If you have or had a history of Asthma, you are more likely to be disqualified. That is the first thing the doctors tell you. Other than that, it is easy. Just do what you're told. You will have to submit a blood test for HIV and a urine test for drugs. Also, a full body physical. I had to get back xray, because of a small curvature of my spine. However, the doctor told me it is minimal and I qualified. All I have to do is have proper posture to fix it.
3.Phone Interview
This is what threw me off. I had no Social Work experience before the phone interview. The AF social worker will ask the same questions from the application. Also, it was educational, because they give you more information on your duties. Yes, you will be required to carry a gun if you are deployed. Deployment is up to 6 months. You will have to be physically fit throughout your military career. You can actually be honorably discharged if you continuously fail to keep up to your physical standards.
Also, every MSW graduate or unlicensed social worker will be admitted into the intern program where you will rotate in 3 area: family advocacy, substance abuse, and mental health. It is similar to what a Doctor residency is, but this is just for social work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this info. If you apply during your first year, then you wouldn't have two years left in the program by the time you are awarded the two year scholarship, would you? How does it work if you only have one year left?

Thank you for this info. If you apply during your first year, then you wouldn't have two years left in the program by the time you are awarded the two year scholarship, would you? How does it work if you only have one year left?

They offer an "immediate start program" for the scholarship at your current level; however, the downfall is that they won't pay for the tuition of months before signing that form. You are required to sign that form if you are already in the program.

I continued my coursework while under the process. That is why I am finally getting my results in February. Only thing to hope is crossing my fingers. It seems smarter to choose me, because I only have two semesters left, but the immediate start program doesn't give you priority.

Hopefully, other people who applied to the scholarship will give us their feedback.

Hi! I am trying to find out more information on the Clinical Social Worker program for the Air Force. I have looked online but as mention on here, it is not a lot of information. I also tried contacting recruiters, but no one seems to know. I plan on applying to the MSW program for next Fall (2017). I am just looking ahead on what I need to do. I would like to submit everything I need before me starting the MSW program. I am prior service. I read that it is competitive but how competitive is this program. Are they accepting applications now and if so when do I apply. What is the required GPA? Any more information about this program will greatly appreciate.

Hi! I am trying to find out more information on the Clinical Social Worker program for the Air Force. I have looked online but as mention on here, it is not a lot of information. I also tried contacting recruiters, but no one seems to know. I plan on applying to the MSW program for next Fall (2017). I am just looking ahead on what I need to do. I would like to submit everything I need before me starting the MSW program. I am prior service. I read that it is competitive but how competitive is this program. Are they accepting applications now and if so when do I apply. What is the required GPA? Any more information about this program will greatly appreciate.

Hi! I know you were asking questions about the HPSP and I was wondering if you ever got the answers. I am applying to an MSW program now (Fall 2017) and I am getting in touch with a recruiter when I get my acceptance letter. Where do you get the list of application materials needed? I'm getting in shape now to pass the exam during MEPS, how long is it in between submitting your application and doing your physical? I just want to make sure I pass. Any info about your experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi! I know you were asking questions about the HPSP and I was wondering if you ever got the answers. I am applying to an MSW program now (Fall 2017) and I am getting in touch with a recruiter when I get my acceptance letter. Where do you get the list of application materials needed? I'm getting in shape now to pass the exam during MEPS, how long is it in between submitting your application and doing your physical? I just want to make sure I pass. Any info about your experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

As PSYDR Mentioned, this is a forum for Ph.D. and Psy.D. folks. As MSWs tend to have different requirements, different boards, different accessions standards, etc. etc., you most likely won't get any accurate or useful information about how HPSP works for MSWs here. I'd try the MSW forum.

As far as General HPSP questions go you most likely will contact a MEDICAL recruiter, as regular recruiting generally does not complete packets for accession in the HPSP. MEPS is just like a regular physical from your primary care physician. Nothing you need to prep extensivly for, unless you don't meet height and weight standards. These can be found via Google. If you have general questions about MEPS or how to get started, you can PM me.