Air National Guard for Medical Students/Docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, So I was wondering if anyone has any information or experience with Air national guard while in medical school/residency/practice. The air guard in my state will cover 100% tuition so I'm naturally interested. Do they have same commitment requirements and benefits as army national guard? Any info would be most helpful! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The air guard in my state will cover 100% tuition so I'm naturally interested. Do they have same commitment requirements and benefits as army national guard? Any info would be most helpful! Thanks.
Do you mean you live in a state where tuition is waived for military folks? I would make sure this is the case. Many that say that actually only cover the amount of tuition set at in-state undergrad, and med students still need loans covering the distance.

I haven't heard about the Air NG paying tuition like that and id be suspect. The big gripe with the ANG is that they are quite stingy with special pays and loan repayment. They also didn't have either MDSSP or StRAP, can't remember which.

So short answer is no, the Army NG has very different (and better) incentives than the Air NG. This isnt kindness on the Army's part, they have a tough time attracting docs, and the AF has always had to put less money into recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I have checked with the army NG recruiter in NJ and they have the same benefit and he says that all of my tuition will be waived.
That's awesome, but it's not a National Guard benefit, its a state benefit. Contact Cooper Medical School's financial aid department to verify that you will get free tuition while a Guardsman there. And get it in writing before you join.

If you look at the medical school's financial aid homepage, it mentions HPSP but not that Guardsman attend for free.

Just verify with the school directly. The recruiter has no influence over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure to look at the semester hour limit, and realize you have to complete entry training before you are eligible, so any where from 6+weeks for Air and 12+ weeks for Army.
And again, this link indicates you need to contact the school you're expecting this to attend to verify.