Airway reconstructive surgery in adults

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason Voorhees

ENT freak
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Can someone please tell me how often do ENT's get to do surgeries like laryngotracheal reconstruction, cricoid splits and tracheal resection + reconstruction?? I guess you guys should do it mostly in conditions such as sublottic stenosis Wegener's and post intubation/tracheostomy stenosis...

Are this cases very rare or do you get your fair amount of them as an ENT in practice?

Are they limited to big academic centers with fellows or are they somewhat common in private practice too???

Thanks in advance for your time and dedication! I also would like to thank everyone who replied in my previous posts, your answers were very helpful :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Fellowship trained laryngologists, peds and H&N would be handling these types of cases. They are rare and the vast majority are done in academic environments.

The initial surgery for these in adults, laser/dilation of mild-moderate SGS, can be done in PP by a general ENT - if this fails, patients are often referred on. I have seen some thoracic surgeons do adult tracheal resections with varying results.

Complex peds airway issues are nearly ubiquitously done in major centers.