AKT 24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asmith1121

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice for this exam? Outline says it's subspecialty material, but does anyone know if it also covers the basic stuff? I appreciate any helpful input. If you feel compelled to respond- study for your cases, read every day, read to learn, or it doesn't matter...please save your energy! Tx!

Members don't see this ad.

Why does this test matter? It's post acceptance to fellowship as ca-2. We already have ite's. Not sure the purpose of it. We took it last week. 100% sub specialty (pedis, pain, ob , and neuro were highly represented). Most of our ca-2s just read daily for cases since the basic exam and the ite last year. Nobody seemed to have any complaints about difficulty of material. Always some bogus outlier questions, but that's like all written exams.

Why does this test matter? It's post acceptance to fellowship as ca-2. We already have ite's. Not sure the purpose of it.
Me neither. It used to be the AKT-18, which put it in the middle of the CA2 year. Now it's so close to the ITE that I think it's less useful.

My guess is that they moved it to the end of the CA2 year because previously, CA2s were taking the AKT-18 subspecialty exam before they actually did all of their CA2 subspecialty rotations. I remember not doing as well on the pain section because my CA2 pain rotation was at the end of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It's so annoying, we take so many exams...

Would love to do well on this exam as my ITE performance was not great. Any tips or advice regarding the best resource and way to study for this exam?

Will not have time to read all of Faust prior. Was planning on doing the subspecialty questions in Hall. Is this primarily a subspecialty exam?

Last edited:
I did Hall questions twice and did 70+ percentile on AKT 24. A lot of similar concepts/questions as hall. Anesthesia and coexisting disease is good to read for subspecialties too. Yes it is primarily subspecialties

Reactions: 1 user
Bumping this thread, as we Canadian anesthesia residents write this in a few months...

Anyone use TrueLearn q-bank for the AKT-24? If so, how well did it prepare you? Was also debating using M5, if anyone has any experience there.

Haha, thanks for the sympathy. Our program places a lot of weight on it too as a marker for how we do on the Royal College exam.

Any tips or suggestions? TrueLearn, Hall or other??

Bumping. For people who have actually taken this, can you elaborate on what worked for you? M5 Qbank? From reading previous posts, sounds it's mostly sub-specialty topics?

Is AKT still a thing? I thought the sponsoring US institutions pulled it a couple years ago when so many residency programs dropped out.

Haha, thanks for the sympathy. Our program places a lot of weight on it too as a marker for how we do on the Royal College exam.

Any tips or suggestions? TrueLearn, Hall or other??
I did Hall questions twice and did 70+ percentile on AKT 24. A lot of similar concepts/questions as hall. Anesthesia and coexisting disease is good to read for subspecialties too. Yes it is primarily subspecialties
Old thread bump again. The guys are taking this now. What's a decent percentile considered? 50 is low is guess. 60 better and 65 to 70 is good?