Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Why isn't anyone posting here anyway? People seemed to be eager about this school last year.

1. It is REALLY early in the cycle
2. Last years thread is still active and people are still waiting to hear if they got off the wait list.

Well, this is my top choice, so I suppose I'll post. But I agree. I haven't posted on here yet because I'm still following the other thread.

3.68c/3.64s/25

Illinois resident

above average ECs

Haven't posted anything too offensive on SDN

Chances?

Those states seem average in terms of what they were accepting last cycle. My GPAs were higher. You should be okay with those numbers. However, one of the things that I remember my interviewers said to me was that my writing was very good. They definitely do read your essays so spend some time writing those. In general, DO schools place some emphasis on your life experiences in addition to the hard numbers versus MD schools.

Alabama is one of my top choices.

I am applying to DO schools from North Carolina to Georgia.

My Overall GPA is 3.56, Science 3.31, MCAT 23.
I'm waiting on my new MCAT scores.
Georgia Resident.

I have a graduate degree (cum laude) and a Biology Degree (Summa Cum Laude).
100 hours shadowing a DO.
Currently a college science professor and practicing healthcare professional.
I have letter of recs from MD and DO.

My low MCAT worries me.
Any class of 2017 have a similar MCAT?

I know of a couple of students who made it with similar/slightly lower MCAT's. They had performed extremely well in a master's program, and that compensated for their MCAT scores. I know they don't want any section lower than 6. I'd think about retaking if I were you though because your science gpa is not high enough to compensate.

Georgia Resident.

My low MCAT worries me.

I had very similar stats to you. My GPA was a little higher (3.6 sGPA; 3.5 cGPA) but had the exact same MCAT. I was also a non-traditional applicant (3 years removed from undergrad, current healthcare job, etc). I was accepted to several schools (including ACOM).I'll echo what the above poster said about your essays -- most of my interviewees commented on the quality of my essays and personal statement. I am an Alabama resident which probably helped a little bit. Apply early and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had very similar stats to you. My GPA was a little higher (3.6 sGPA; 3.5 cGPA) but had the exact same MCAT. I was also a non-traditional applicant (3 years removed from undergrad, current healthcare job, etc). I was accepted to several schools (including ACOM).I'll echo what the above poster said about your essays -- most of my interviewees commented on the quality of my essays and personal statement. I am an Alabama resident which probably helped a little bit. Apply early and good luck!

That's great! Congratulations to you!

Thanks for the information.

In my statement, I wrote about my experiences growing up in an underserved region.

I think it's well written, but what do I know?!

The whole admissions process is so strenous and stressful.

Well, this is my top choice, so I suppose I'll post. But I agree. I haven't posted on here yet because I'm still following the other thread.

BamaGirl14, are you applying this cycle? If so, good luck!!!! I am sure your husband will give you plenty of pointers, but if you need anything, please don't hesitate to msg me. :)

Georgia Resident.

My low MCAT worries me.

Hi SmartiePants, I will echo the others in regards to your MCAT and low sci GPA. Are you planning on retaking the MCAT anytime soon? Does your sci GPA show upward trends? I think there were a couple from the previous cycle with similar stats. You can scroll through the pages of the last cycle's to search or you can just study for the test again. Also, work on their essays because they really do read it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SmartiePants, I will echo the others in regards to your MCAT and low sci GPA. Are you planning on retaking the MCAT anytime soon? Does your sci GPA show upward trends? I think there were a couple from the previous cycle with similar stats. You can scroll through the pages of the last cycle's to search or you can just study for the test again. Also, work on their essays because they really do read it.

Thanks for the reply.

I have retaken the MCAT and am awaiting my new score. My previous breakdown was 6PS/ 9V/ 8BS. My science gpa does show an upward trend. My graduate science gpa is closer to 3.5. I have read through last years posts and did see acceptances with similar stats. I applied broadly but my preferences VCOM-CC, ACOM, WVSOM, and PCOM-GA. I'm really hoping for some DO love! Thanks again.

Really excited to hear from the entering class this year and see how it all pans out- anyone toured/ been to the teaching hospital? I've been to Dothan but thankfully never needed to see the inside of their hospital lol- btw GA resident, stats 3.5 sGPA 3.4 cGPA taking MCAT this week will prbly end up mid 20s -good luck everyone!

Count me in for ACOM... URM with 3.15/3.35 c/sGPAs and expecting 25+ MCAT score based on my AAMC practice tests so far... Will I have a shot?

applied here. Louisiana resident. 3.72s/3.56c/ mcat pending. I have never even heard of Dothan lol

anyone have first year stats?

The wait listers are still waiting for the final say. No stats released as of yet, that I know of at least.

The wait listers are still waiting for the final say. No stats released as of yet, that I know of at least.

Give us a ballpark of competitiveness in term of stats. For instance I have a 3.15cGPA, 3.35sGPA; will a 26+ MCAT mitigate my low cGPA?

Give us a ballpark of competitiveness in term of stats. For instance I have a 3.15cGPA, 3.35sGPA; will a 26+ MCAT mitigate my low cGPA?

I think it can. They asked my husband about his C in physics and his 11 on the physical science section of the MCAT, so I would think they would ask you about the incongruity. The MCAT can definitely prove that you know your stuff. And hopefully, you will have an explanation for the low GPA. I think your science GPA is actually okay.

My application is going to be delayed because of difficulties obtaining transcripts. :( I really wanted to be in the first batch they would receive. Oh well. I guess since I'm practically living on campus, I can really interview at any time (if they invite me). But I really wanted to be one of the first!

My application is going to be delayed because of difficulties obtaining transcripts. :( I really wanted to be in the first batch they would receive. Oh well. I guess since I'm practically living on campus, I can really interview at any time (if they invite me). But I really wanted to be one of the first!

Does your school have "in progress" transcripts? That's what I do when I order mine midsemester

anyone have first year stats?

According to last years thread kinda all over the place- I've seen ppl with 27 get in and even someone with a 22 - that's just self reports but still? Also have read they try to keep 50% AL residents as you may have seen their mission in geared towards ppl staying in AL to practice- ill be submitting next week so hopefully all goes well!

I have a 3.2 sGPA 3.59 cGPA and a 21 with a lot of EC; Do I have a shot here?

I have a 3.2 sGPA 3.59 cGPA and a 21 with a lot of EC; Do I have a shot here?

That MCAT is most likely too low. Are your URM and or from AL? If so you might squeak through. I would contact admissions and ask them. The staff is amazing and will get you the info you need.

My stats were: c3.2 s3.5 MCAT 27 10,9,8

That MCAT is most likely too low. Are your URM and or from AL? If so you might squeak through. I would contact admissions and ask them. The staff is amazing and will get you the info you need.

I am not an URM or from AL; that was my second time taking the exam; I'm debating whether or not to take it for the third

Honestly, I would suggest revamping your study habits and possibly purchase the Kaplan course and prepare to study like crazy. My personel opinion is you would need no less than a 25 to be succesful and should shoot for a 26 or better.

Last edited:

I'm assuming you were accepted? Did you have to have a LOR from a DO for this school?

I'm assuming you were accepted? Did you have to have a LOR from a DO for this school?

I was accepted. I had a letter from a DO and MD. My DO letter was from a DO that had never used OMM in her ED. I would suggest shadowing a DO that uses OMM so you have that experience to speak to.

I was accepted. I had a letter from a DO and MD. My DO letter was from a DO that had never used OMM in her ED. I would suggest shadowing a DO that uses OMM so you have that experience to speak to.

Ok good to know thanks for the heads up

I was accepted too, didn't have a DO letter. Didn't shadow one either.

I was accepted too, didn't have a DO letter. Didn't shadow one either.

For those that were accepted last cycle- anyone know if you can receive secondary materials prior to MCAT scores release- my AACOMAS app is submitted and awaiting verification but my MCAT scores won't post until July 23

For those that were accepted last cycle- anyone know if you can receive secondary materials prior to MCAT scores release- my AACOMAS app is submitted and awaiting verification but my MCAT scores won't post until July 23

TBH, I don't remember. But this question can be easily answered by calling the school directly. Last year, I had a pending MCAT score (though not my first one) and still received secondary app prior to my MCAT release date. But I don't know if you will receive secondary app before having at least 1 MCAT score.

does anyone know if we can send more than 3 LOR's? My school does a letter packet with 6 letters and sends it out to the schools. Is there any chance this would have a neg effect on my app?

does anyone know if we can send more than 3 LOR's? My school does a letter packet with 6 letters and sends it out to the schools. Is there any chance this would have a neg effect on my app?

Usually it won't. Adcoms will most likely just pick the first 3 and stop reading.

I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

All those savvy out there, my application was released to this school on 7/4. Do I wait for an invitation to fill out my secondary? if so, about how long does it take to hear something from them?

I've heard nothing back at all, my bet is they haven't started replying yet or someone would have posted here

Last year secondaries were sent out early August. This year, I would expect it would be no later than that. Good luck you all. The ACOM FB page has many great pictures and updates released from the schools. Check it out if you are interested.

Below are some of the major reasons why I am attending ACOM this Fall:

-The very established and mature rotation sites. This also includes Southeast Alabama Medical Center. The majority of rotation sites will be throughout Alabama, with some in north Florida, and with GA under negotiation (last I heard). The AMEC Alabama rotation sites have been around since 2005. This is SUPER awesome! I can not say enough how important this information was in my decision to attend ACOM. I have heard of horror stories from students at other DO colleges where the school would call students the morning of starting a new rotation to tell students that said rotation site is no longer under contract with said DO school and that the student will need to go drive 45 mins out of the way to go to a different rotation site. This resulted in the student showing up late on the first day of starting a new rotation!!!!! With the established rotation sites at ACOM, students will move to the city of their designated site and rotate there for 3rd and 4th year. Students will not have to worry about moving after each rotation unless they want to do interview rotations.
- ACOM is the only DO school that shares a campus with a major regional hospital.
- The system based curriculum resulting in a more well-rounded and integrated education. Everything will be interwoven.
- Clinical exposure beginning year 1 - like first week school starts!
- Nutrition will be interwoven into the curriculum. With obesity in America increasing and thus increase in other severe health issues, I can not believe that only a handful of medical schools in the US have nutrition in their curriculum
- All exam questions will be written board style. Dean Lenz consults other DO schools on how to help their students pass boards. Dean Lenz WRITES or has written board questions all DO students take!!! Also, all professors were and will be required to pass qualifications to ensure that they can write questions board style!!! Can you not see the benefit in this for future ACOM students?
- The new state-of-the-art building. The lecture auditoriums are designed to provide increased visibility for students. The Anatomy and OMM labs are spacious and also provide increased visibility for students. The clinical exam rooms were designed and built to look EXACTLY like the NBOME National Center in PA where we take the COMLEX 2 PE section. The many study rooms available 24/7 for students. All of the above shows the level of attention-to-detail the school and its leadership are putting into the college and its students. They didn't just build (or buy) a boring building, plop a sign on it, and call it a So and So College of Osteopathic Medicine. It was built with consideration and thoughtfulness for the success of its students and comfort of its staff.
- Eight weeks to study for boards (4 weeks of light clinical and OMM classes, 4 weeks completely free).
- Textbooks and tablet included with tuition. Yes, tuition is a little over $40K per year, but it will not be latent with fees, fees, and more fees. For the nonbusiness minded student, you need to understand now that everything will add up to a lot of money.
- Cheap living in Dothan means less loans. A two-four hundred dollar difference per month for two or four years + interest will add up to tens of thousands of dollars after you pay off your loans!!!!
- Dothan is not a large city but it is not rural either. This means, as a student, I will have access to essential businesses (grocery stores, shops for cloths and furniture, bars and movies (when I take a breather from studying), good variety of restaurants and eateries, hotels and inns for when family visits, etc). But most importantly, I won't have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic either (Dallas and LA during traffic hour anyone?)!!!! I have lived in many big cities and traffic is not fun and is a major stress inducer. And I am ready to leave the stress of living in a big city behind.

Reactions: 2 users
Below are some of the major reasons why I am attending ACOM this Fall:

-The very established and mature rotation sites. This also includes Southeast Alabama Medical Center. The majority of rotation sites will be throughout Alabama, with some in north Florida, and with GA under negotiation (last I heard). The AMEC Alabama rotation sites have been around since 2005. This is SUPER awesome! I can not say enough how important this information was in my decision to attend ACOM. I have heard of horror stories from students at other DO colleges where the school would call students the morning of starting a new rotation to tell students that said rotation site is no longer under contract with said DO school and that the student will need to go drive 45 mins out of the way to go to a different rotation site. This resulted in the student showing up late on the first day of starting a new rotation!!!!! With the established rotation sites at ACOM, students will move to the city of their designated site and rotate there for 3rd and 4th year. Students will not have to worry about moving after each rotation unless they want to do interview rotations.
- ACOM is the only DO school that shares a campus with a major regional hospital.
- The system based curriculum resulting in a more well-rounded and integrated education. Everything will be interwoven.
- Clinical exposure beginning year 1 - like first week school starts!
- Nutrition will be interwoven into the curriculum. With obesity in America increasing and thus increase in other severe health issues, I can not believe that only a handful of medical schools in the US have nutrition in their curriculum
- All exam questions will be written board style. Dean Lenz consults other DO schools on how to help their students pass boards. Dean Lenz WRITES or has written board questions all DO students take!!! Also, all professors were and will be required to pass qualifications to ensure that they can write questions board style!!! Can you not see the benefit in this for future ACOM students?
- The new state-of-the-art building. The lecture auditoriums are designed to provide increased visibility for students. The Anatomy and OMM labs are spacious and also provide increased visibility for students. The clinical exam rooms were designed and built to look EXACTLY like the NBOME National Center in PA where we take the COMLEX 2 PE section. The many study rooms available 24/7 for students. All of the above shows the level of attention-to-detail the school and its leadership are putting into the college and its students. They didn't just build (or buy) a boring building, plop a sign on it, and call it a So and So College of Osteopathic Medicine. It was built with consideration and thoughtfulness for the success of its students and comfort of its staff.
- Eight weeks to study for boards (4 weeks of light clinical and OMM classes, 4 weeks completely free).
- Textbooks and tablet included with tuition. Yes, tuition is a little over $40K per year, but it will not be latent with fees, fees, and more fees. For the nonbusiness minded student, you need to understand now that everything will add up to a lot of money.
- Cheap living in Dothan means less loans. A two-four hundred dollar difference per month for two or four years + interest will add up to tens of thousands of dollars after you pay off your loans!!!!
- Dothan is not a large city but it is not rural either. This means, as a student, I will have access to essential businesses (grocery stores, shops for cloths and furniture, bars and movies (when I take a breather from studying), good variety of restaurants and eateries, hotels and inns for when family visits, etc). But most importantly, I won’t have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic either (Dallas and LA during traffic hour anyone?)!!!! I have lived in many big cities and traffic is not fun and is a major stress inducer. And I am ready to leave the stress of living in a big city behind.

Those are some major pluses. How can you be sure that students will stay at one site for their clinicals? Do you know what percentage of OOS are there?

Those are some major pluses. How can you be sure that students will stay at one site for their clinicals?
There is never a 100% and perfect certainty in medical training and in medicine in general. Things are always changing and if we go into medical school with an inflexible mindset then I think we will be disappointed more often than not. However, I obtained this information from the AMEC website and from my interview at ACOM last Oct. In the Pipeline page, it states that each core site has the ability of providing all required rotations. http://www.amecdo.com/pipeline.php
However, many of us are looking into doing rotation interviews outside of AMEC (Alabama Medical Education Consortium) and SAMC (Southeast Alabama Medical Center) and thus we would relocate to a different location temporarily should we desire during 4th year.

Do you know what percentage of OOS are there?
I do not know the percentage of OOS accepted for the current entering class. But I can tell you that I am an OOS student and was accepted very early in the cycle (early November). In the ACOM Class of 2017 fb group, there are many of us from OOS. Since ACOM is a private college, it does not have a state mandated in-state student body requirement. Personally, I believe ACOM is more interested in selecting students that are more likely to be successful medical students and later compassionate physicians than they are at fulfilling some arbitrary in-state percentage.

I hope this helps and hopefully some of my future classmates can chime in with more information. We all are very excited about starting OMS-1 in less than one month! :D Good luck in your quest to become a physician!:luck:

I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

longhorn41592, I think there were students accepted last year with your MCAT score and your GPA range. My thought is that your app will definitely be given serious consideration bc of your gpa and the fact that your low mcat score is due to the ps section. Of course, ACOM place emphasis on volunteer experiences, research, personal essays, and LOR too. So I would make sure your essays are stellar, your LORs are from prof that really know you as a person, and you have good VL experiences. And if you have the time and money, maybe restudy for the MCAT just to put your application in a more favorable light for interviews. The more interviews, the better your chances of getting into an American medical school. Plus, I personally think the PS section is the easiest section to improve upon.

Good luck!!!!

ACOM's website states that they screen for secondary invites, is this the actual case? Do they really prescreen candidates?

ACOM's website states that they screen for secondary invites, is this the actual case? Do they really prescreen candidates?

Yes, I believe so. From what I can remember of last year's thread, there were a few people that never received secondary invites.