Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello there,

I applied to this school back in Jan 16 and I got an ii for March 21st. I have to say this school has, from my own experience, one of the most efficiently-run admission offices of any DO schools. If all of the departments work as good as this office, I can't imagine how great the entire operation must be.
Really excited to be offered a ii this late in the game. This school is closer to home so it is an added bonus. I received a confirmation email for the interview the very next day after I received the ii from Dr. Reynolds.
I have a question regarding the proof of citizenship. My was stolen last year and since I'm not a native I have to pay for it before I get my passport (350 for citizenship certificate +120 for passport). Were any of these two documents asked for at the time of the interview? I have proof from INS of the documents that were stolen but I only have my DL from Florida. Before I shoot Linda a message, does anyone care to comment on this? Thank you so much for any comments made on this issue in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,

I applied to this school back in Jan 16 and I got an ii for March 21st. I have to say this school has, from my own experience, one of the most efficiently-run admission offices of any DO schools. If all of the departments work as good as this office, I can't imagine how great the entire operation must be.
Really excited to be offered a ii this late in the game. This school is closer to home so it is an added bonus. I received a confirmation email for the interview the very next day after I received the ii from Dr. Reynolds.
I have a question regarding the proof of citizenship. My was stolen last year and since I'm not a native I have to pay for it before I get my passport (350 for citizenship certificate +120 for passport). Were any of these two documents asked for at the time of the interview? I have proof from INS of the documents that were stolen but I only have my DL from Florida. Before I shoot Linda a message, does anyone care to comment on this? Thank you so much for any comments made on this issue in advance.

What was stolen? Not sure what you have to work with..

Your Birth cert. and a photo ID (i.e. Drivers license) should be sufficient to prove your citizenship anywhere.

What was stolen? Not sure what you have to work with..

Your Birth cert. and a photo ID (i.e. Drivers license) should be sufficient to prove your citizenship anywhere.

My proof of citizenship (certificate awarded once you become a citizen). I used it for FAFSA purposes and they broke into my car that morning. My laptop, wallet and my bookbag were all stolen that crappy morning. They even took my coffee mug!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been asked before but are there opportunities to do research at ACOM?

They have an associate dean of Molecular medicine and Research, so I'm assuming there are probably some opportunities for research. I'm sure they do clinical research at SAMC, so ACOM staff would probably try to get students involved with that, if at all possible. Otherwise, they'll probably help you if you pursue anything on your own, the administration seemed like they were very supportive of their students.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything since 2/14 in regards to admissions? I know in the 14th interview they said to give them two weeks but I'm just curious.

Has anyone heard anything since 2/14 in regards to admissions? I know in the 14th interview they said to give them two weeks but I'm just curious.

Calls usually go out on Friday :xf:

I interviewed on 2/14, and got the acceptance call yesterday! Due to accreditation board members visiting the school, they had been backed up on their admissions process. I'm assuming they will be making quite a few calls this week. Good luck to all who are still eagerly waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there is an Accepted Students Day or something similar?

Well they just started their 2nd semester. It's not very easy to gauge that on a sample of 1 completed semester.

http://www.acomedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ACOM-Academic-Catalog-2013-2014.pdf

Page 29. The board has 3 options; repeat the class, repeat the academic year, or dismissal from ACOM. If none of those options satisfy the board they also offer a remediation exam to be taken during the summer (have until 1 week before Fall semester begins) to fulfill the requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any M1 tell us how much money you have left over after your tuition and fees are paid?

Well this is from the interview but from what I can remember the FAFSA loan will cover tution (no fees listed unless you need to pay for health insurance through the school) and the gradplus max COA would be around 25k per year so roughtly 65k to cover cost of living and the 40k in tuition. Of course you can take out less for COA if you like, any M1's can correct me if I'm wrong.

I got the call! Or rather the voicemail, which is good because I probably would have screamed in his ear for joy and made a bad impression. I will definitely be attending!

I got the call! Or rather the voicemail, which is good because I probably would have screamed in his ear for joy and made a bad impression. I will definitely be attending!

Congrats on getting in!! On what day did you interview by the way? I am still hoping I get the call as well.

I interviewed on 2/14, and got the acceptance call yesterday! Due to accreditation board members visiting the school, they had been backed up on their admissions process. I'm assuming they will be making quite a few calls this week. Good luck to all who are still eagerly waiting!

I was accepted from the 2/14 interview as well! I found out today as I was out of the country. Definitely a great feeling coming home to an acceptance!!

I was accepted from the 2/14 interview as well! I found out today as I was out of the country. Definitely a great feeling coming home to an acceptance!!

Congratulation on the acceptance!! I'm glad to see another fellow 2/14 interviewee get in ;-) Have you made a final decision yet?

Congratulation on the acceptance!! I'm glad to see another fellow 2/14 interviewee get in ;-) Have you made a final decision yet?

I'm still waiting on one more school who should have a committee meeting this week. What about you?

I am a newby to the premed world. I want a realistic idea about my application process since I'm not the typical applicant. My undergrad background is in geography and GIS but both my parents went to Osteopathic schools (dad-Oklahoma mom-Nova Southeastern). I'm in the process of getting all the required sciences and studying for the MCAT. I'm a little worried about my chances. Can anyone offer any advice to help make my application stand out?

I am a newby to the premed world. I want a realistic idea about my application process since I'm not the typical applicant. My undergrad background is in geography and GIS but both my parents went to Osteopathic schools (dad-Oklahoma mom-Nova Southeastern). I'm in the process of getting all the required sciences and studying for the MCAT. I'm a little worried about my chances. Can anyone offer any advice to help make my application stand out?
You may actually have a better chance than you think. A lot of us pre meds major in something science related. Like me I'll be getting my biology degree this May. Medical schools like to see students with different backgrounds so your degree would stand out. You just have to make sure you take the pre reqs required by the medical schools you are going to apply to. Also, you will want to shadow a doctor (MD if you want to go allopathic or DO preferably if you want to go osteopathic). I personally did both just so I could see the difference between the two. Also, volunteer, get some leadership, and research isn't a bad idea either.

Also, this is not a pre req, but biochemistry is highly recommended before medical school, best of luck to you.

Also, this is not a pre req, but biochemistry is highly recommended before medical school, best of luck to you.

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought of shadowing an MD, as well. I'm curious if there is a specific type of volunteering that is favored more? Also, I have to take organic chem over the summer so I was considering taking biochem the following semester. I definitely want all the edge I can give myself. What about studying for the MCAT? I know Kaplan has prep courses you can take but last I knew they were rather expensive. Again, thank you so much for the info!

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought of shadowing an MD, as well. I'm curious if there is a specific type of volunteering that is favored more? Also, I have to take organic chem over the summer so I was considering taking biochem the following semester. I definitely want all the edge I can give myself. What about studying for the MCAT? I know Kaplan has prep courses you can take but last I knew they were rather expensive. Again, thank you so much for the info!
I'm not sure if they prefer a certain type of volunteering. I think they like any form of giving back to the community. I personally did hospital based volunteering where I was in the medical field, but I know they wouldn't mind if you volunteered at a center for mental disabilities either. So really, it's whatever your preference is. As for the mcat I found it pretty difficult to study for it while in the middle of taking classes. I remember there would be times where I would not get to study for a couple of weeks. I was also in a Princeton review course during the semester and it was pretty much a nightmare to try to keep up with everything. So, I would say your best bet is to study during the summer, however, since you are taking biochem during the summer that may make it difficult since that is a pretty involved class. Also, personally, I think if you have good study habits you should just buy the exam krakers books and the aamc practice test and you wouldn't even need a review course, especially if you are good at being able to understand the material from reading it from a book. If you aren't though, I know a buddy of mine that took the course when they were allowing students to take the class at a cheaper rate, I think they do that around October.

Another class I just thought about that I haven't heard as being highly recommended by anybody else, but I highly recommend endocrinology. I found it to be the class that helped me the most in understanding the complete picture of the body and how a lot of the different hormones work, etc. Not to mention the MCAT loves to ask about endocrinology processes. Also, taking that class helped me the most in understanding the science behind patients that myself and the doctors I shadowed saw with diabetes, hyper/hypo thyroidism, and all sorts of other metabolic problems.

Your numbers (GPA and MCAT) will be important for ACOM to see how you compare to other applicants. If your GPA is lacking (science or cumulative) you'll likely need an mcat in the high 20s/low 30s to get an interview. Apply early (June if possible) and things should work out. Good luck!

I interviewed 2/28 and I got the acceptance email today!!!!! I am super excited. If you still haven't heard anything just keep your hopes up and I am sure it will turn out fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed 2/28 and I got the acceptance email today!!!!! I am super excited. If you still haven't heard anything just keep your hopes up and I am sure it will turn out fine.

I'm interviewing tomorrow! Any suggestions on interview prep? I know it is open file so I will be prepared for that. But what, if any, are the main questions to answer?

Btw, I searched through about 15 pages on the forum and couldn't find any questions but I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

I'm interviewing tomorrow! Any suggestions on interview prep? I know it is open file so I will be prepared for that. But what, if any, are the main questions to answer?

Btw, I searched through about 15 pages on the forum and couldn't find any questions but I'll keep looking.

Thanks!
Be yourself. This school is down to earth and friendly.

Expect ethical Q's, a "tell me about yourself/why medicine", perhaps a question on what have been any difficulties in your journey to medicine, and a general pleasant conversation.

You'll probably have lunch with a few class of 2017 students. Make the most of that time to ask questions and get the "inside scoop".

Best of luck. Hope to have you as a classmate.

I would say just be yourself and know your application! The interviewers definitely read everything you write on your application so I would definitely know all of your app. Also read up on Obama care and I also read the current bbc health stuff just I case they ask you about current health topics. But good luck!! You will kill it

Be yourself. This school is down to earth and friendly.

Expect ethical Q's, a "tell me about yourself/why medicine", perhaps a question on what have been any difficulties in your journey to medicine, and a general pleasant conversation.

You'll probably have lunch with a few class of 2017 students. Make the most of that time to ask questions and get the "inside scoop".

Best of luck. Hope to have you as a classmate.

Perfect! I love the conversational interviews! I like to talk anyway and I have a lot of stories about my journey to medicine that I am passionate about!

Thanks for the reply!

Any others interviewing tomorrow?

Perfect! I love the conversational interviews! I like to talk anyway and I have a lot of stories about my journey to medicine that I am passionate about!

Thanks for the reply!

Any others interviewing tomorrow?

Another thing man, show your interest in the school. I've seen stuff on this thread by you and it's obvious you really want to go to ACOM. Show the genuine passion.

ACOM really seems to stick to their mission statement. I'd become familiar with it and find ways in your conversations to show the match in your interest and their mission.

Hey guys, I just got my acceptance email today! I am so excited to be joining the ACOM team! I am trying to pay my deposit and it says I should have a portal login and password. Where is that located exactly? I've tried calling ACOM, but I have got voicemail both times today.

Hey guys, I just got my acceptance email today! I am so excited to be joining the ACOM team! I am trying to pay my deposit and it says I should have a portal login and password. Where is that located exactly? I've tried calling ACOM, but I have got voicemail both times today.
You should receive your portal password in a email separate from the acceptance.
Check your span folder perhaps. That's where I found mine.

You should receive your portal password in a email separate from the acceptance.
Check your span folder perhaps. That's where I found mine.
Ok, thank you! I checked but it's not there so it probably just hasn't been sent yet.

I'm interviewing on 3/28. Does anyone know if the class is full yet, or how many seats are left?

I'm interviewing on 3/28. Does anyone know if the class is full yet, or how many seats are left?

I interviewed yesterday and the class is not full yet; however, they are getting close to the 162 limit on deposits made. After this, they will only give acceptances as people decline their acceptances at ACOM.

I interviewed yesterday and the class is not full yet; however, they are getting close to the 162 limit on deposits made. After this, they will only give acceptances as people decline their acceptances at ACOM.
Thanks for the info. It is good to know upfront what to realistically expect.