Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People are still interviewing?

Best of luck, I'm very surprised tho

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be attending ACOM in the fall!!! Is anyone looking for a roommate???
I'm looking for a roommate if you still are. I've recently made my final decision to attend ACOM. Do you know where you're interested in living?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for my upcoming interview?

I will be in Dothan around noon on the 24th. My interview is not until the next day, so I will have a little extra time on my hands. Any suggestions? Any other interviewees want to hang out?

Does ACOM offer deferrals for accepted students? Was curious how this worked - some schools offer them.

Hi all,

I am a medical banker, and my bank is located on ACOM's campus. Would love to help you guys get plugged in. I know the area, faculty, and staff.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance on the ground in Dothan.

Best of Luck!

I'm looking for a roommate if you still are. I've recently made my final decision to attend ACOM. Do you know where you're interested in living?
I am possibly looking for a roommate as well. Did you find one yet?

Does ACOM offer deferrals for accepted students? Was curious how this worked - some schools offer them.

Yes, with stipulations. First, you have to get permission by providing a reason why you need the deferral. Then you have to sign some documents saying you will not be applying elsewhere and demonstrating your commitment to going to ACOM.

Officially withdrew from the waitlist today! Good luck to all the rest!

Hey guys,

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to everyone looking to get off the waitlist! I haven't posted here in awhile, probably because I'm in the DO/MBA dual degree program haha. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to message me or post questions on here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to everyone looking to get off the waitlist! I haven't posted here in awhile, probably because I'm in the DO/MBA dual degree program haha. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to message me or post questions on here!

What were your stats?

What were your stats?
Solid MCAT (>30) and GPA (>3.6) -- although that may be low for SDN (doesn't everyone on here have a 45T, 4.0?). The DO/MBA program is phenomenal for anyone interested and totally worth it. The classes are designed with healthcare and medicine in mind and will certainly give you an advantage financially going into the field. Although it's been quite stressful, I will complete both degrees within the 4 years here. Very doable!

Anyone know for sure what the deal is for filling out the Step-1 of the matriculation documentation? Since the matriculation website is non-functional right now, do we just full out the paperwork and send it via snail mail?

Anyone know for sure what the deal is for filling out the Step-1 of the matriculation documentation? Since the matriculation website is non-functional right now, do we just full out the paperwork and send it via snail mail?

You can print, sign, scan, and email them back to the registrar.

I called earlier this week while updating my file,

I was told that the waitlist has been seeing some movement.

Hang in there my fellow waitlisters!

I know it's late in the cycle, but I'm curious what kind of stats are landing people on the waitlist? Also, when were you placed on the waitlist?

I know it's late in the cycle, but I'm curious what kind of stats are landing people on the waitlist? Also, when were you placed on the waitlist?

Wait listed 3/14. GPA 3.7, science GPA 3.9, MCAT 24 (10v, 8 bio, 6 phy), 3 publications (one first author, two second author) in peer reviewed medical journals. Currently employed as research assistant in pediatric psychiatry. 100+ hours shadowing. Masters degree in clinical psychology with GPA of 3.95.

Wait listed 3/14. GPA 3.7, science GPA 3.9, MCAT 24 (10v, 8 bio, 6 phy), 3 publications (one first author, two second author) in peer reviewed medical journals. Currently employed as research assistant in pediatric psychiatry. 100+ hours shadowing. Masters degree in clinical psychology with GPA of 3.95.

Wow, really good stats. Except the MCAT could use some work. Everything else is killer, but I think a 28+ MCAT would seal the deal. Your GPA is amazing, but you do have to understand that MCAT is really the only truly objective measurement they have to go on. Though I think if you just apply right when the next cycle opens up, that you'd probably get accepted as is; good idea to apply broadly though, like every single school possible (application fees are a drop in the bucket compared to traveling for interviews). If you want to retake the MCAT, I suggest using ExamKrackers (look at the addendum for errata though), it might not be in depth enough to get you a perfect score, but it's not like you'd need one with your GPA.

Right about now there should be some heavy waitlist movement, so good luck to you. It only takes one.

Perhaps studying for the MCAT right now in preparation for a retake might not be a complete waste if you end up getting accepted this cycle, because the info is not completely irrelevant and good test taking skills will be vital for Steps.

Reactions: 1 users

With how many schools you applied to, you should have def gotten accepted somewhere. I have lower stats than you, and I did. Did you apply late?

With how many schools you applied to, you should have def gotten accepted somewhere. I have lower stats than you, and I did. Did you apply late?

I was complete in September (took MCAT in August). I am wait listed at 2 schools ( out of 2 interviews).

I was complete in September (took MCAT in August). I am wait listed at 2 schools ( out of 2 interviews).

Admissions is so unpredictable. I hope you get in somewhere!!

For what it's worth, I was complete in November; my GPA, etc. was significantly lower than yours, around 3.3, but my MCAT was 30. I mostly got offered and took interviews in Feb and March.

Giving up my spot for my instate DO school. Will miss the BBQ Shack....they have the best barbecue...good luck to all!

Just found out I got accepted off of the wait list today! Don't give up hope guys. Is anyone looking for a roommate or have any information on what housing is like in Dothan? Please message me :)

I withdrew my seat on the waiting list today. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back!

Just found out I got accepted off of the wait list today! Don't give up hope guys. Is anyone looking for a roommate or have any information on what housing is like in Dothan? Please message me :)
Congrats! I'm hoping I'll be joining you! *fingers crossed*

Hello all! Congrats to those of you starting at ACOM this fall! I'll be interviewing September 26th and would like to check out some housing options while I'm in town. Anyone have any suggestions for affordable 1-2 bedroom places? Thanks!!

Students are scattered about town but are centrally located in 3 main locations. Summerfield Square (on-campus), Highland Hills, and Magnolia Apartments. These are three of the main apartment complexes for students at ACOM. Mind you there are plenty of other options around town as well as homes depending on the size you need.

Hi

2018 class here.

As chemical said, those three are the main ones. Summerfiend should have some openings this year as a lot of the 2017 class is leaving at the end of their spring semester. You should try and hit that first, as it is right next door. From the other places, it take my fellow students about 25-30 minutes to get to class, as they are on the far side of the circle and rush hour bogs it up a bit. Still not a bad drive.

I am married and went with a small house outside of town. It works very well for me; cost of renting a home is pretty good down here

I applied here and received a secondary. I was complete by Nov 3. Still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know the turn around time?

I am a 1st year right now and after I submitted my secondary (around this time last year) it took them about a month to send my ii. Hope this gives you a bit of an idea!

Hey y'all- I am interviewing here tomorrow, 12/19. I'm trying to log in right now so that I can look at the interview day details, but for some reason my login credentials are no longer working. I have emailed tech support to try and reset it, but they haven't responded. So this is my last option. Is there any way someone can tell me what time we are supposed to be there and if I only need my drivers license as a form of ID or if I need another form as well. (I vaguely remember reading something about passport, birth certificate, etc. but can't remember if we need more than one form of ID). Thanks in advance!! :)

When I interviewed last year they required photo ID and birth certificate.

You need to be there around 8 am I think! But just call in the morning to make sure

Hey guys i interview on Monday, but after going through all the emails, i discovered there was not mention of where the interview will take place.. What building or room do i look for when i arrive on campus.

hey are they still giving out interviews? havent recieved any work yet

Can someone please post the Facebook group link for accepted students. Thanks