Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know where we check in for the interview and/or where we can park?

Park anywhere in the lot, then just go in the main entrance (only entrance lol). You will be greeted and shown how to get to the check-in room where you will do some paperwork before I-day begins.

Park anywhere in the lot, then just go in the main entrance (only entrance lol). You will be greeted and shown how to get to the check-in room where you will do some paperwork before I-day begins.
Icarus FTW once again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. I'll be in your shoes two weeks from now.

Just got my first II!
For anyone interested, my stats were 3.45/3.3/27 (but 7/12/8), which is abnormal.

No dates open until 12/5 if I remember correctly, but that's okay. Someone may drop one soon. I'm excited! Actually visited the school on a road trip last weekend and had lunch in Dothan...not a bad little town at all!

II! complete 9/15.

OOS.

I could only get the December 12th date due to my biochem test conflicting with the other date that was open
does anyone know if it is detrimental to be interviewing mid december?

I interviewed in March of last year and I'm sitting in lecture right now. The guy that sits next to me also interviewed in the spring so it doesn't really matter if you interview in December. Good luck.

Complete at the end of August. Haven't heard anything :/

I just want closure from last weeks interview. *going nuts:nailbiting:"

I just want closure from last weeks interview. *going nuts:nailbiting:"

I'm stalking SDN and keeping my phone by me, I hope we get word today and not Monday. Decision purgatory is awful. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah this is worse than the MCAT wait.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm literally refreshing SDN every few minutes on my phone. I am so freaking nervous. And if we don't find out today we have to wait over the weekend.

I interviewed today. Those whose interviewed last week; Dr. Lenz is away on business and the committee is meeting Tuesday for a decision for both groups on Thursday or Friday.

I interviewed today. Those whose interviewed last week; Dr. Lenz is away on business and the committee is meeting Tuesday for a decision for both groups on Thursday or Friday.
I enjoyed the interview today. I was super impressed with Dr. Miller and Dr. Hayes. Even during the interview I just wanted to sit and talk to Dr. Hayes for a while - super interesting guy, very intense about OPP but I appreciate that. Overall a long day but very good. Now to board this flight and pass out for a couple hours.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize how many SDN folks were at the interview yesterday. I'm Val!

I just canceled my interview here, so a spot on 10/24 should be open if anyone wants it.

Interview scheduled for 1-9. Looking for an earlier date if anyone wants to switch!
cGPA: 3.60 sGPA: 3.64 MCAT: 32

My aacomas was sent to this school last week. Any idea how long it will be before I get a secondary? Im an instate applicant if that helps

My primary was released 7/31 and I got the secondary from ACOM on 8/2.

Val
Married
Mom of 6
Applying for Class of 2019

My aacomas was sent to this school last week. Any idea how long it will be before I get a secondary? Im an instate applicant if that helps
Primary acknowledged 7/11, secondary received 7/14

My primary was released 7/31 and I got the secondary from ACOM on 8/2.

Val
Married
Mom of 6
Applying for Class of 2019
I am seriously in awe of you. 6 kids and going to medical school. When I say you are an incredibly courageous person, I couldn't be more sincere. Good for you, Val!! You're going to rock it!!

There is a October 3rd interview spot currently. I'd take it but it's too soon for me and I'm waiting on a LECOM decision so whoever can go should take it.

I am seriously in awe of you. 6 kids and going to medical school. When I say you are an incredibly courageous person, I couldn't be more sincere. Good for you, Val!! You're going to rock it!!

What a nice thing to say, really. I shrink from posting a whole lot on SDN because of its gunner rep, and it's really nice to hear someone be human on here. ;) My oldest three kids are grown and married, so I only have three at home currently. I have an awesome support system that comes with a great cheering section. I was seriously sitting at my interview day wondering how the heck anyone without my team ever gets the courage to apply. Good luck with your applications! (You were at interview day last Friday, right? I feel like one of us should have said, hey who's from SDN? I was too nervous!)

Interviewing this Friday. Would anyone mind sharing some of the questions that were asked in your interviews? Thanks!

Accepted! Literally crying!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to both of you! Really hoping that I hear something soon!

What a nice thing to say, really. I shrink from posting a whole lot on SDN because of its gunner rep, and it's really nice to hear someone be human on here. ;) My oldest three kids are grown and married, so I only have three at home currently. I have an awesome support system that comes with a great cheering section. I was seriously sitting at my interview day wondering how the heck anyone without my team ever gets the courage to apply. Good luck with your applications! (You were at interview day last Friday, right? I feel like one of us should have said, hey who's from SDN? I was too nervous!)
Yes! I was at the interview Friday. I'm the guy that HADN'T solved a rubix cube. Haha

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something now as I'm sure everyone else is as well!

You were at last Friday's interview, correct? I think you were sitting just down the table from me. I have two young kids myself and they are sometimes a handful. Kudos to you for getting to this point in the cycle, and so early as well! Hope you hear something good from ACOM this Friday! (I was the weatherman).

I hope we both hear something soon too!

Last edited:
Yes! I was at the interview Friday. I'm the guy that HADN'T solved a rubix cube. Haha

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something now as I'm sure everyone else is as well!

Haha, so I know which one you AREN'T!

Interviewing this Friday. Would anyone mind sharing some of the questions that were asked in your interviews? Thanks!
I interviewed last Friday, and they didn't ask me anything specific about my transcripts or anything. I think that since I signed up literally the day before to interview, they had not spent a long time looking at my application, so I may have gotten more generic questions than some. They asked me mostly ethics type questions.

My interview is in three weeks and I am driving in from Louisiana. Do you guys recommend reserving a hotel now or the night before? Or no need for reservations?

For those accepted, how long after getting a phone call did you receive the acceptance e-mail?

On the portal thing, January is the last available interview dates. Is that the end? Or will there be more but just not showing yet?

My interview is in three weeks and I am driving in from Louisiana. Do you guys recommend reserving a hotel now or the night before? Or no need for reservations?

Reserve now. Would definitely not be good to end up without a place to bunk down. Rates might be a bit cheaper now.

From what I was told, there will be more (through April). I would just call the office and ask!
Oh no, I was just wondering. I thought if that was it, they must have accepted a lot of people so far.

~2/3 from every group has been accepted, from my understanding. With a lot of the other third being wait listed. Every week that goes by I'm sure they'll accept less, with more being rejected or wait listed. That being said there were still spots open in late April last year, so plenty of time left in the cycle.

Last edited:
Got an email reply to the thank you I sent to Dr. Hayes today... Not ashamed to say it, I have a man crush on his OPP skills. #NoRagrets

Reactions: 7 users
So how is the interview like here?? did someone post it before?

And,

will there be any seats left in December for OOS students.....?

Got an email reply to the thank you I sent to Dr. Hayes today... Not ashamed to say it, I have a man crush on his OPP skills. #NoRagrets
Okay what is OPP- because I don't think the definitions online are what you mean.

Definitely don't worry about having late interviews. I interviewed late February last year and was accepted a week later and there are definitely people in my class right now who interviewed and accepted even later towards April and even May. So there's still definite hope and I know for sure there are interview slots to February because we were asked to volunteer for the interviewee lunches and our schedule is till February. .

And yes, Dr. Hayes is awesome and really passionate about OMM!! We are definitely lucky to have faculty like him here at ACOM!

Okay what is OPP- because I don't think the definitions online are what you mean.

OPP = Osteopathic Principles and Practice, a class you take every semester of years 1 and 2. This class teaches OMM, Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine.

I think perhaps HandsomeRob might be referring to Naughty By Nature's OPP. (look up the youtube video, I didn't want to embed it, so I edited it out)

"No regrets? not even one letter?"

And yes, Hayes is an OPP stud and so is Dr. Thompson. We've got a good crew here.