Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, everyone!
I interviewed on the 9/26.
I do not think their getting back to us today. I was informed that it would take two weeks, so perhaps next weeks we'll get notified. Praying for the best! The school was beautiful and has a bright future

and if you got accepted from the 26 interview date, please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 9/19, acceptance 9/30.

9/26 people expect the call next Monday/Tuesday in the afternoon. When some of the staff went out of town it kind of threw off their normal 7-10 day turn around time. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
No, but if you haven't heard anything don't fret, it'll be early next week like it was for our group. When I was waitlisted last cycle in April it took them longer than expected.

They're just sending out the matriculation deposit emails now, so they're still dealing with the 9/19 group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today.... This school is very impressive.
Campus and town: This place is brand new so everything is awesome. Top of the line simulation labs, cadavers for anatomy and the best technology around.
The town of Dothan is also very nice with just enough so you don't die of boredom but not so much to distract you. If you are into exercise there is lots to do. Rents are also cheap. The campus is ok on study spaces but all of the spots are comfortable and with a beautiful view of the outdoors.
People: Great staff and good student body.

The interview: 2 on 1 with faculty non admissions committee members. Simple questions why DO Why ACOM? I really had to keep pushing them to continue the conversation. Good interview.

Points of note: Don't let the newness of this school scare you, it has tons of money, great educators and a strong hospital network. It beats hands down much older schools and in a few years could very likely be as strong as Nova and PCOM. Many of the bug have been worked out and the faculty are open to change things with student input. Rotations are all set up and ready to go.

I doubt anybody would be disappointed with this school.

Campus and town: This place is brand new so everything is awesome. Top of the line simulation labs, cadavers for anatomy and the best technology around.
The town of Dothan is also very nice with just enough so you don't die of boredom but not so much to distract you. If you are into exercise there is lots to do. Rents are also cheap. The campus is ok on study spaces but all of the spots are comfortable and with a beautiful view of the outdoors.

The interview: 2 on 1 with faculty non admissions committee members. Simple questions why DO Why ACOM? I really had to keep pushing them to continue the conversation. Good interview.

Points of note: Don't let the newness of this school scare you, it has tons of money, great educators and a strong hospital network. It beats hands down much older schools and in a few years could very likely be as strong as Nova and PCOM. Many of the bug have been worked out and the faculty are open to change things with student input. Rotations are all set up and ready to go.

Can you think of any cons?

Members don't see this ad :)

I interviewed yesterday also! I already know who you are since you're from Orleans... ;) But I also really loved the school and would be happy to go here! Waiting is going to kill me...glad I can keep busy with school and work. :nailbiting:

Can you think of any cons?
A few. Students there seem more competitive than collaborative. The school being new bugs are gonna happen even though they got most worked out. They super front load anatomy, physio and biochem in one semester. That is about it if any one has any other questions feel free to ask. It is a really strong school.

A few. Students there seem more competitive than collaborative. The school being new bugs are gonna happen even though they got most worked out. They super front load anatomy, physio and biochem in one semester. That is about it if any one has any other questions feel free to ask. It is a really strong school.

ACOM must be a World Changer. Get it? hahaha...
...sorry

Got the waitlist email this morning. A little bummed out because I was really excited about this school. I'm hoping that I will get lucky since I interviewed early and maybe get off the wait list.

Really? On a Saturday? When did you interview?

I interviewed the 19th. I was kind of expecting a waitlist email since I didn't find out when the other two got in, but I wasn't expecting it on a Saturday either.

I'm surprised, unless they are just tying to catch up. You mind me asking your stats? You can PM me if you'd like. Very sorry to hear that.

My undergrad GPA wasn't the best but I had a pretty competitive MCAT. I'm currently in a special Master's program at TCOM but haven't had any grades to report yet. I'm hoping that once my grades come out, it'll help my chances of getting off the wait list.

I can promise you the student body is very collaborative. We post study guides on our facebook page and through the email systems. We are definitely a motivated group but at no point have I felt we have had an issue with "gunners" or any other issue like that. Also, Every medical school front loads anatomy, physiology and biochem. That is the core curriculum during the first semester for both systems and traditional curriculums in medical school. The only med schools that might not do this are PBL based (but that changes from program to program).

I can promise you the student body is very collaborative. We post study guides on our facebook page and through the email systems. We are definitely a motivated group but at no point have I felt we have had an issue with "gunners" or any other issue like that. Also, Every medical school front loads anatomy, physiology and biochem. That is the core curriculum during the first semester for both systems and traditional curriculums in medical school. The only med schools that might not do this are PBL based (but that changes from program to program).
I will second madnemo. we share most everything. these folks will be my colleagues one day so why would i not want them to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
... Thanks but I think you misunderstand. I wasn't talking about gunners but that on the spectrum of every man for him self vs if you go down I go down the needle leans closer to every man for himself. Also no every medical school does not front load anatomy, physio and biochem like your school does many spread this out over a year or some front load a course or two and spread out the others over a year. I am guessing you misunderstood my use of terms. If it is your goal to help us make better decisions about our future medical school don't be so defensive, ask what makes me think or ask what I saw that made be believe that. It is really frustrating when it becomes an insider vs outsider perspective so lets do this, could you tell me what makes your student body collaborative outside of study guides?

Arms always curve in.
(Not intended to offend any insider. I'd love to go to Acom.)

[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
"WorldChanger36[/COLOR], post: 15755436, member: 285771"]... Thanks but I think you misunderstand. I wasn't talking about gunners but that on the spectrum of every man for him self vs if you go down I go down the needle leans closer to every man for himself. Also no every medical school does not front load anatomy, physio and biochem like your school does many spread this out over a year or some front load a course or two and spread out the others over a year. I am guessing you misunderstood my use of terms. If it is your goal to help us make better decisions about our future medical school don't be so defensive, ask what makes me think or ask what I saw that made be believe that. It is really frustrating when it becomes an insider vs outsider perspective so lets do this, could you tell me what makes your student body collaborative outside of study guides?

hh_60_gunner_by_militaryphotos-d36h2e4.jpg

WorldChanger36

... Thanks but I think you misunderstand. I wasn't talking about gunners but that on the spectrum of every man for him self vs if you go down I go down the needle leans closer to every man for himself. Also no every medical school does not front load anatomy, physio and biochem like your school does many spread this out over a year or some front load a course or two and spread out the others over a year. I am guessing you misunderstood my use of terms. If it is your goal to help us make better decisions about our future medical school don't be so defensive, ask what makes me think or ask what I saw that made be believe that. It is really frustrating when it becomes an insider vs outsider perspective so lets do this, could you tell me what makes your student body collaborative outside of study guides?

Sorry if I came across as defensive, that was definitely not my intent. It is difficult to express tone in forums. I promise it was only meant to be informative. Yes I agree that some schools stretch anatomy past a semester. My main point was a vast majority of the people I know in other medical schools cover the same material in the first semester as we do, it might just be broken into blocks instead of blended into bulk courses like it is here. Speaking about the collaborative point it is hard to explain how a group of people is collaborative without having you sit through our classes and hang out with the students. One example is when our first OPP practical rolled around a large amount of students went to OPP lab to help each other learn all the techniques even second years showed up to help us without being prompted by faculty. Similar things happen in anatomy lab, we show up in large groups (Usually 20-30 people at a time) to help each other out. And do not underestimate how nice it is to have classmates that are willing to share study guides. A lot of work goes into making them and other students will add to them and repost them. This is a powerful tool and at its core demonstrates the willingness of our class to help each other succeed because the bottom line is that if some of us fail or do poorly it reflects on all of us come residency applications so it is imperative that we help each other succeed. Again this post is purely informative not defensive. Good luck to you. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry if I came across as defensive, that was definitely not my intent. It is difficult to express tone in forums. I promise it was only meant to be informative. Yes I agree that some schools stretch anatomy past a semester. My main point was a vast majority of the people I know in other medical schools cover the same material in the first semester as we do, it might just be broken into blocks instead of blended into bulk courses like it is here. Speaking about the collaborative point it is hard to explain how a group of people is collaborative without having you sit through our classes and hang out with the students. One example is when our first OPP practical rolled around a large amount of students went to OPP lab to help each other learn all the techniques even second years showed up to help us without being prompted by faculty. Similar things happen in anatomy lab, we show up in large groups (Usually 20-30 people at a time) to help each other out. And do not underestimate how nice it is to have classmates that are willing to share study guides. A lot of work goes into making them and other students will add to them and repost them. This is a powerful tool and at its core demonstrates the willingness of our class to help each other succeed because the bottom line is that if some of us fail or do poorly it reflects on all of us come residency applications so it is imperative that we help each other succeed. Again this post is purely informative not defensive. Good luck to you. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Its all good. I think we have cleared this up. Thanks for reaching out.

Hello all,

I submitted via AAMCOS to some schools and have received secondaries and two II. I know want to submit to ACOM, really like that area, but could not really afford the fee before (poor graduate student, what elese is new?).

Anyway - is it too late to submit an AAMCOS application of ACOM at this point?

Hello all,

I submitted via AAMCOS to some schools and have received secondaries and two II. I know want to submit to ACOM, really like that area, but could not really afford the fee before (poor graduate student, what elese is new?).

Anyway - is it too late to submit an AAMCOS application of ACOM at this point?

nope. submit it now!

looks like this school is inviting everyone for interviews BUT me lol
anyone else who never heard anything back after submitting their secondaries? its been 2 months

Sure would be nice to hear something soon...

Accepted! Interviewed 09/26.

Reactions: 8 users
Stop taking our seats!!! Congrats...!

Accepted!!! :soexcited: (Interviewed 9/26)

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone! Hopefully I'll be joining y'all if I make it off the waitlist!

how long did it take for you to get an interview after submitting your secondary/recs/payment
I got my ii two days after my secondary application was complete.

Positive thoughts!
Thank you! I really like ACOM a lot! I called the admissions office on Monday and they said that they will e-mail me within the next few days on what part of my application resulted in me getting waitlisted and suggestions they have for increasing my chances of getting off the waitlist, so I'm hoping for the best!

Congratulations everyone! I know y'all are super excited!

Just got my waitlist letter. Going to drown in a pint of Ben&Jerry's.

Congrats to all - does anyone know how many seats are left?

Got a waitlist email, probably for the best I have 3 other acceptances 4 would have made it very hard to decide between each. Great school and all praises from my end.

Congrats to all - does anyone know how many seats are left?

There are Plenty left, I'm guesstimating but from experience and what we were told: 162 person class and there have been 5 interview groups to date. Something like 2/3 from the first groups got accepted, less after that maybe. They're gonna give out at minimum 2x their class size worth of acceptances which is the de facto amount for many schools.