Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete here on 10/12. In state applicant. When should I hear back about a interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I interview tomorrow! (11/7) Hope to see some of you there! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Interviewed on 10/31. Just got the call from Dr. Reynolds about 30 min ago. The is my 2nd acceptance this week so I'm on cloud 9 and I loved ACOM!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Interviewed on 10/31. Just got the call from Dr. Reynolds about 30 min ago. The is my 2nd acceptance this week so I'm on cloud 9 and I loved ACOM!

Congrats. It's a great school; anyone should be honored and excited to attend.

P.S. War Eagle

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete here on 10/12. In state applicant. When should I hear back about a interview?

I am also an in-state applicant and my complete date was 10/28. I thought I would receive an automated II, but it turns out that the committee still manually reviews our applications before sending an invite. I called earlier today, and learned that Mrs. Goodson (wonderful woman, BTW) has been on the road for much of the past 6 weeks. They are going to review files next week; I am going to call on Friday afternoon if I don't hear anything between now and then.

We're in the same boat. :)

Anybody else interviewing november 21??

To those who have received interviews, about how long after receiving the "your app is complete" email did you receive your invite?

To those who have received interviews, about how long after receiving the "your app is complete" email did you receive your invite?

I was complete October 10 and invited to interview on October 31.

I received ACOM portal information by e-mail after submitting my secondary, but it was all garbled (e-mail server error it seems) and my username and password don't work. I contacted the admissions department about it and I haven't heard anything back in a week or so. Just submitted my LORs today so I should be complete soon. Anyone else have a similar issue?

I received ACOM portal information by e-mail after submitting my secondary, but it was all garbled (e-mail server error it seems) and my username and password don't work. I contacted the admissions department about it and I haven't heard anything back in a week or so. Just submitted my LORs today so I should be complete soon. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Yeah, same thing happened to me. I contacted them and they were very helpful. VCOM and ACOM have had the nicest/most helpful admission staff that I've encountered so far. They will send a complete e-mail in a week or two. Looks like we are applying to a lot of the same schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I never received a portal invite; I called Student Services, who put me in touch with IT...and 5 minutes later I had a portal login. Now just waiting for an II. :)

I think they are making calls tomorrow and Wednesday.

Anyone got off the waitlist or have tips for getting off the waitlist?

Where are you guys getting this information from? As far as when they're reviewing applications and sending out interview invites? The admissions office?

Where are you guys getting this information from? As far as when they're reviewing applications and sending out interview invites? The admissions office?

Yes. I was told on Friday that they are reviewing applications today. I cannot comment authoritatively on the IIs, I was only given insight to my own (in-state) application status.

Edit: It looks like that file review didn't happen this week after all. Hopefully next week. I would give them a call if you're interested in specifics re: your own file.

Last edited:
In the application portal, if you go under checklist, click on completed, and go to your essays and it says completed by someone's name...does that mean that your application has already been reviewed?

In the application portal, if you go under checklist, click on completed, and go to your essays and it says completed by someone's name...does that mean that your application has already been reviewed?

Im not 100% on this but I think it just means that that person made sure your file was complete, and marked it for review.

Anybody heard anything lately?

When I look at the portal after logging in it just says paperwork complete 10/9. Does anyone else's say something similar?

Still haven't heard anything about new portal credentials... Guess I'll call tomorrow.

My secondary was complete 10/17, have not been issued login credentials. Was told friday it would be 2 weeks before my file was reviewed. In state applicant

I have login credentials, but I don't see anything re: paperwork, file complete, file under review, etc. Note that I had to manually ask for my login credentials, and IT created them on the spot. Perhaps account provisioning wasn't correct, or my credentials are not linked to my AACOMAS ID. Who knows.

Hopefully we all hear something later this week.

I have login credentials, but I don't see anything re: paperwork, file complete, file under review, etc. Note that I had to manually ask for my login credentials, and IT created them on the spot. Perhaps account provisioning wasn't correct, or my credentials are not linked to my AACOMAS ID. Who knows.

Hopefully we all hear something later this week.

Seems like the same thing happened to a lot of people, including me. I think it was a problem on their end, not yours.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats. It's a great school; anyone should be honored and excited to attend.

P.S. War Eagle

Hi Non sibi sed omnibus! Thanks for the congrats :) Hang in there...I was in your same boat. I was complete on 9/24 and was told that I was in the Tier 1 group to be called for an interview within one week. Well, long story short, I waited for about one month and I finally received the II email on 10/24. At the time, the earliest interview date was the 2nd week of January so I jumped on it. For the next few days, I literally checked the schedule for cancellations and I was lucky enough get a 10/31 interview and the rest is history :)

I will be the first to admit that my stats aren't stellar, but I feel that I bring a lot to the table. Also, my current work strongly demonstrates my commitment to ACOM's mission. When ACOM says they look at applicants holistically, it is 1000000% the truth. I don't know your background or stats, but if you have halfway decent stats and have shown that you are committed to ACOM's mission, they will reach out to you.

Hi Non sibi sed omnibus! Thanks for the congrats :) Hang in there...I was in your same boat. I was complete on 9/24 and was told that I was in the Tier 1 group to be called for an interview within one week. Well, long story short, I waited for about one month and I finally received the II email on 10/24. At the time, the earliest interview date was the 2nd week of January so I jumped on it. For the next few days, I literally checked the schedule for cancellations and I was lucky enough get a 10/31 interview and the rest is history :)

I will be the first to admit that my stats aren't stellar, but I feel that I bring a lot to the table. Also, my current work strongly demonstrates my commitment to ACOM's mission. When ACOM says they look at applicants holistically, it is 1000000% the truth. I don't know your background or stats, but if you have halfway decent stats and have shown that you are committed to ACOM's mission, they will reach out to you.

Thank you for the encouragement; I'm starting to get concerned. As for stats, not that impressive, but hopefully they look at me holistically:

In state applicant, pursuing primary care medicine in an underserved community.
29 MCAT
3.38 combined postbacc GPA from University of Southern California and Auburn
3.73 Auburn GPA, 3.6sGPA last 2 years, 3.2ish cGPA and sGPA suppressed by 1990's undergrad
1000+ hours of clinical volunteer experience; 3 hospital distinguished service awards
500 hours leading my hospital's 400-member clinical volunteer force
Received one of five year-long paid undergraduate research fellowships; presenting two posters at January SICB national conference
220 hours physician shadowing, 110 with a DO
4-week medical mission to Haiti
Anatomy & Physiology Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
Head Chemistry tutor in athletic department
Various ECs at church & in my community
15 years of upper-level IT management in the Fortune 200 space.

We will see.

Congrats again. :)

Thank you for the encouragement; I'm starting to get concerned. As for stats, not that impressive, but hopefully they look at me holistically:

In state applicant, pursuing primary care medicine in an underserved community.
29 MCAT
3.38 combined postbacc GPA from University of Southern California and Auburn
3.73 Auburn GPA, 3.6sGPA last 2 years, 3.2ish cGPA and sGPA suppressed by 1990's undergrad
1000+ hours of clinical volunteer experience; 3 hospital distinguished service awards
500 hours leading my hospital's 400-member clinical volunteer force
Received one of five year-long paid undergraduate research fellowships; presenting two posters at January SICB national conference
220 hours physician shadowing, 110 with a DO
4-week medical mission to Haiti
Anatomy & Physiology Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
Head Chemistry tutor in athletic department
Various ECs at church & in my community
15 years of upper-level IT management in the Fortune 200 space.

We will see.

Congrats again. :)

Wow! Umm...not impressive? Are you kidding me? You make my app look like child's play. I'm super impressed and I know ACOM will be, too. I have a strong feeling that they will be reaching out to your very, very soon. Looking back, it seems like you didn't submit your secondary until mid October, correct? If your timeline is anything like mine, you should give them at least a month after getting your "complete" email before receiving your interview invite email.

Once you get your ii and go to the actual interview, you will immediately notice that they are there to get to know you as a person. I felt amazing the entire time I was there! Seriously, my interviewers made me feel like I was the best thing since sliced bread. I know that sounds silly, but they truly appreciated and embraced my life experiences and my non-trad status. They truly view applicants holistically. Your goals and your current experience already show that you are committed to ACOM's mission. Just go to the interview, be yourself, and let your personality shine!

Looking back, it seems like you didn't submit your secondary until mid October, correct? If your timeline is anything like mine, you should give them at least a month after getting your "complete" email before receiving your interview invite email.

I submitted my secondary a while back, but I was not complete until mid-October due to a delay in my Auburn committee LOR. I just wish that they had a mechanism that pre-authorized in-state applicants to schedule an interview...since we're guaranteed interviews. I am going to follow up AGAIN on Friday if I have not heard back sooner LOL. I'll update this thread like everyone else when I get my II, etc.

I agree with your sentiments re: the general feeling about the faculty/staff. I met a few at the ACOM open house back in August, and I've met Linda Goodson a few times (wonderful lady) over the last 2 years. I have nothing but great things to say about the school, staff, rotations, etc. The program is SOLID and I'm stoked for you and the rest of your cohort. Several of my fellow DO-seeking Auburn pre-meds are really big on ACOM as well. They cite the established rotations, curriculum, and sim lab.

Thank you again; also, it's so refreshing to hear someone else gush about what a great program ACOM is.

:)

I submitted my secondary a while back, but I was not complete until mid-October due to a delay in my Auburn committee LOR. I just wish that they had a mechanism that pre-authorized in-state applicants to schedule an interview...since we're guaranteed interviews. I am going to follow up AGAIN on Friday if I have not heard back sooner LOL. I'll update this thread like everyone else when I get my II, etc.

I agree with your sentiments re: the general feeling about the faculty/staff. I met a few at the ACOM open house back in August, and I've met Linda Goodson a few times (wonderful lady) over the last 2 years. I have nothing but great things to say about the school, staff, rotations, etc. The program is SOLID and I'm stoked for you and the rest of your cohort. Several of my fellow DO-seeking Auburn pre-meds are really big on ACOM as well. They cite the established rotations, curriculum, and sim lab.

Thank you again; also, it's so refreshing to hear someone else gush about what a great program ACOM is.

:)
I would definitely follow up. I called Mr. Willis a couple of times during the month I was waiting for my ii. Mr. Willis is super nice and was very informative about my application status.

Ms. Goodson wasn't there when I interviewed, but I would have loved to meet her since she's also an RN :) You are absolutely right about the program being rock solid, especially with the established AMED rotations. It's a win-win for a brand new school! Also, when they go over what they offer during the interview day, you will find that ACOM comes with a lot of value-added perks. There are things that most schools charge above and beyond tuition for, but ACOM includes those things (board prep, laptops, tablets, certain board exam fees, etc...)in their tuition. It is an excellent financial selling point!

Hi all,

Where did people stay during their interview? and how close was it from the campus?

Hi all,

Where did people stay during their interview? and how close was it from the campus?

Anything in the big circle is close to the school. I stayed on the north side of the circle at the La Quinta and it only took me 10 minutes to get there in the morning. A lot of ppl in my group stayed at the hotel a mile from the school (forget the name) and there is a complementary shuttle provided by ACOM before and after interview.

Anything in the big circle is close to the school. I stayed on the north side of the circle at the La Quinta and it only took me 10 minutes to get there in the morning. A lot of ppl in my group stayed at the hotel a mile from the school (forget the name) and there is a complementary shuttle provided by ACOM before and after interview.

Oh i see. Did you contact ACOM for the shuttle service? Or is there certain times that they go around picking up people from their respective locations

Oh i see. Did you contact ACOM for the shuttle service? Or is there certain times that they go around picking up people from their respective locations
Once you get an interview, ACOM sends you a PDF with all the information about lodging and the shuttle.

Sorry I should have further clarified. The shuttle service wasn't provided where I stayed.

The interview invite email has a PDF with directions and places to stay with the ACOM discount prices listed. Only one hotel has the shuttle service. Shuttle shows up at a specific time, doesn't need to be arranged and returns after interview day wraps up.

Once you get an interview, ACOM sends you a PDF with all the information about lodging and the shuttle.

Sorry I should have further clarified. The shuttle service wasn't provided where I stayed.

The interview invite email has a PDF with directions and places to stay with the ACOM discount prices listed. Only one hotel has the shuttle service. Shuttle shows up at a specific time, doesn't need to be arranged and returns after interview day wraps up.

Hmm, must have overlooked that PDF. thanks for the information! :)

I actually just found the interview PDF poking around the myACOM portal. I haven't received an interview invite yet. Lol. On a more serious note, how do we view our application status on it? I can't find anything pertaining to an application... it is more like I'm already a student (which is great, but it doesn't help at this point in time).

Hi all,

I stayed at the Hilton Gardens because I have some points saved up from business trips. Took around 15-20 minutes to drive to campus.

If I could do it over, I would probably stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites, which is approximately 1 mile from ACOM. 2 of the people from my group stayed here. The complimentary ACOM shuttle leaves at 8 AM from that hotel.

@kalat you have to go to SelfService and put in the same login info as myACOM. SelfService is under the Resources tab I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
@kalat you have to go to SelfService and put in the same login info as myACOM. SelfService is under the Resources tab I believe.

Oh okay great. I figured it was through the myACOM portal. Thanks.

Anyone struggling to decide between ACOM and other schools? I love ACOM and it was my first acceptance, but I am struggling with the fact there is not a real gym, mandatory class attendance....

Any input about what current students wished they had considered before choosing ACOM?

I'm not sure what you mean about "real gym" since only one out of five schools I interviewed at had a gym in it? Dothan isn't the most fit community, per se, but there are about six gyms or so in the area. There's everything from the hospital gym to Planet Fitness to much nicer gyms that cost $400/year. There's also a small gym in the school to use after class hours.

Mandatory attendance is frustrating, for sure. However, many students have figured out ways to deal with it, and at the end of day, it helps more students than hurts.

For me, there's nothing that I wish I knew exactly... it's just that they are a new school and have a few kinks to work out. With that being said, the faculty has done a great job listening to our comments and dealing with our frustrations. Things have smoothed out A LOT since the beginning of the year, and I do not regret at all going to a "new school" over some of the "more established, older schools" I also got accepted to.

Good luck with your decision! I'm not sure if that helps, but feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

I'm not sure what you mean about "real gym" since only one out of five schools I interviewed at had a gym in it? Dothan isn't the most fit community, per se, but there are about six gyms or so in the area. There's everything from the hospital gym to Planet Fitness to much nicer gyms that cost $400/year. There's also a small gym in the school to use after class hours.

Mandatory attendance is frustrating, for sure. However, many students have figured out ways to deal with it, and at the end of day, it helps more students than hurts.

For me, there's nothing that I wish I knew exactly... it's just that they are a new school and have a few kinks to work out. With that being said, the faculty has done a great job listening to our comments and dealing with our frustrations. Things have smoothed out A LOT since the beginning of the year, and I do not regret at all going to a "new school" over some of the "more established, older schools" I also got accepted to.

Good luck with your decision! I'm not sure if that helps, but feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
Thanks!!!!

The two schools I can't quite choose between are LMU-DCOM. Because this is an undergraduate campus, there are several gyms on campus and one is being built for the med students now. I am someone who recently started trying to change my lifestyle and having a gym would be great. I really do appreciate hearing about the local options, though!!!!

I also am grateful t o have you respond to how students feel about the attendance policy.

I definitely understand that! Our school is pretty active with soccer games, ultimate frisbee, basketball, flag football, etc. We also have a Health and Wellness club that does various things throughout the year.

I know that LMU is very, very, rural with not much around and focuses a bit more on rural medicine. I like getting my Moe's and shopping at Target ;) That helped me decide between the two haha

I definitely understand that! Our school is pretty active with soccer games, ultimate frisbee, basketball, flag football, etc. We also have a Health and Wellness club that does various things throughout the year.

I know that LMU is very, very, rural with not much around and focuses a bit more on rural medicine. I like getting my Moe's and shopping at Target ;) That helped me decide between the two haha

Weird question: do you know how many/if the gyms in Dothan have lap pools? I swim every other day. Big consideration for me, lol.

Weird question: do you know how many/if the gyms in Dothan have lap pools? I swim every other day. Big consideration for me, lol.
I know there are a few students that swim laps in the pool at Summerfield (the apartments on campus) as far as other gyms I have no idea.