Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do current students think about the mandatory attendance/dress code policy here?

Here is my opinion about those two issues.

The dress code is business casual or scrubs. It makes things look better in my opinion. This is not undergrad so you don't really need to be coming in to class not dressed appropriately. Plus scrubs are just grown up pajamas.

As far as attendance, 100% for labs, 80% for lectures. That isn't bad at all and there are many days that you'll only have 1 or 2 lectures then DSA's (lectures to watch/read on your own time,) and then you're free the rest of the day.
Remember that you will be required to dress in a certain way and will be required to attend everything once you are in clinicals and residency so it is good to get into the habit early.

Reactions: 3 users
What do current students think about the mandatory attendance/dress code policy here?

I second everything hiijakd just said. The dress code really is not a big issue, you have plenty of options with business casual with the only exception to the rule being no jeans. As what you are wearing is tasteful, not offensive and looks presentable you will be fine. As a male, I am usually in a pair of slacks and a polo/button-down depending on how I feel that day. Plus having the option to wear scrubs (adult pajamas) to class is perfect, especially on those days where we only have one or two things to do on campus.

As for the attendance policy, I have not had any issue with it. As mentioned before, mandatory attendance for the labs (which makes sense because how else are you going to learn the practical information) and 80% for lecture. Our busiest days are usually 4 lectures and 1 lab, with the average day looking more like 2-3 lectures with a possible lab depending on which group you are in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here today and loved it! Dr. Hayes was PHENOMENAL. Fingers crossed for this school!

Reactions: 2 users
^Second that. Fell in love with the school! Very impressed by the facilities and presentations by faculty members.

Waiting on the acceptance before sharing more details. :) :xf:

Last edited:
I agree with my fellow interviewees. Immensely impressed by this school. The interview experience is very pleasant and low-stress. Our interview time had to be moved up to first thing in the morning due to a scheduling conflict for the faculty, but that freed all of us to enjoy the rest of the day even more.

You've got two choices. You can look good or feel comfortable. I'm happy with either and wear scrubs some days and business casual other days.

I have no comment about the attendance policy because I would never not attend a class I just spent a ridiculous amount of money-I-don't-have on. I did miss one lecture this semester because my Dr's appointment ran way too late.

I second everything hiijakd just said. The dress code really is not a big issue, you have plenty of options with business casual with the only exception to the rule being no jeans. As what you are wearing is tasteful, not offensive and looks presentable you will be fine. As a male, I am usually in a pair of slacks and a polo/button-down depending on how I feel that day. Plus having the option to wear scrubs (adult pajamas) to class is perfect, especially on those days where we only have one or two things to do on campus.

As for the attendance policy, I have not had any issue with it. As mentioned before, mandatory attendance for the labs (which makes sense because how else are you going to learn the practical information) and 80% for lecture. Our busiest days are usually 4 lectures and 1 lab, with the average day looking more like 2-3 lectures with a possible lab depending on which group you are in.

Agree with my (mystery) college chemical bull, the dress code is not oppressive. It's basically "don't wear shorts/jeans/T-shirt" and you're fine. And if you like scrubs, wear those monochromatic duds all you like.
No one has complained about the attendance policy here, and the DSA read: (do at home assignments) make up maybe 15-20% of the lectures we get. I probably am in class 4 days a week, if I want/need I can stay home and take no flak for it.
You have to be present for labs, but then again, you really can't afford to miss it for the teaching that you get. You have OPP lab and anatomy lab each week.

Interviewed here today and loved it! Dr. Hayes was PHENOMENAL. Fingers crossed for this school!

Hayes is one of the best profs at this school and he cares about the students here 100%/ Lucky to have this guy for OPP class. Best of luck

Who else is interviewing Friday?? Need someone to share the nerves with!

Should I send LORs via interfolio while I wait for my secondary? Or do they prefer we wait till the invite?

I would send the LORs the day you receive the Secondary, but you could call the school to ask. The people in the admissions department are very nice. :)

Who else is interviewing Friday?? Need someone to share the nerves with!
Don't worry, it'll be great. As others have stated in the thread..they really just want to get to know you. Unlike our interview where we did not get a chance to learn about the school before interviewing (due to scheduling conflicts), you will gain enough knowledge from their presentation that you'll sail smoothly. I was EXTREMELY impressed by how well they explained everything about medicine, osteopathic medicine, and their school/mission.

Has anyone who has been complete since November 17 or later heard back about a ii ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been complete since November 17 or later heard back about a ii ?

I was complete in the beginning of November (like, maybe the second week) and I still have not heard a peep. The admissions staff is extremely sweet though, and when I called, they just mentioned that they were a little behind so we should hear something soon hopefully! Good luck!

Been complete since the first working day of november and the wait has made me a little antsy.

Been complete since the first working day of november and the wait has made me a little antsy.

Same here. Complete since 11/3 and haven't heard anything yet. It definitely makes me nervous.

I was complete in the beginning of November (like, maybe the second week) and I still have not heard a peep. The admissions staff is extremely sweet though, and when I called, they just mentioned that they were a little behind so we should hear something soon hopefully! Good luck!
What number did you call? I can't seem to get a hold of them, it goes to voicemail. Tried for a while.

What number did you call? I can't seem to get a hold of them, it goes to voicemail. Tried for a while.

I just called the number that pops up on Google when you type in ACOM. However, I did try calling them today and it went to voicemail. I wonder what's up...but since there's so many of us who haven't heard anything, I'm assuming they really are just busy and trying to get caught up. I've been seeing your responses in pretty much all of the schools that I've applied to, so we're in the same boat so just hang in there. I'll be praying that we both hear some good news soon! :)

I just called the number that pops up on Google when you type in ACOM. However, I did try calling them today and it went to voicemail. I wonder what's up...but since there's so many of us who haven't heard anything, I'm assuming they really are just busy and trying to get caught up. I've been seeing your responses in pretty much all of the schools that I've applied to, so we're in the same boat so just hang in there. I'll be praying that we both hear some good news soon! :)
Haha thanks. Yeah me too. Your probably seeing me on a lot of post cause I sort of just shotgunned to as many schools as I can since my stats aren't the greatest. Trying to be patient but I guess getting towards the end of the year makes me a little nervous. The big deposit day is coming up so hoping to hear soon.

Tuesdays the adcom meets about previous friday interviews so that could be the cause of their busy signal?

those who interviewed:
Finals and grading is going on at a high right now for both class and the faculty are very busy. I didn't hear back for nearly 2 weeks last year. Keep cool and remain hopful

I'm curious what ACOM thinks about letters of Intent/Interest? I hear that different schools have different opinions on them. Or people who are calling in on a weekly basis, are you just asking for general update on status? Do you ever feel like there is any pushback? I'm trying to figure out the line between showing interest and being over-zealous. Thanks in advance!

those who interviewed:
Finals and grading is going on at a high right now for both class and the faculty are very busy. I didn't hear back for nearly 2 weeks last year. Keep cool and remain hopful

Okay, phew! I need to stop checking this thread so much, haha. :)

Submitted all my secondary requirements and have been complete since mid October, but have not been emailed a interview/rejection. Anyone else in a similar experience as I am?

How long after submitting the secondary do we wait for confirmation? After I uploaded my pdf and clicked finish, it just took me to a login page.

How long after submitting the secondary do we wait for confirmation? After I uploaded my pdf and clicked finish, it just took me to a login page.

I submitted my secondary on 10/27, and received confirmation that afternoon. I did not get a complete e-mail until 11/3/14, and am currently waiting to hear back about an interview.

I received my complete and in review email, but do not have portal login credentials. Is that normal?

Haha thanks. Yeah me too. Your probably seeing me on a lot of post cause I sort of just shotgunned to as many schools as I can since my stats aren't the greatest. Trying to be patient but I guess getting towards the end of the year makes me a little nervous. The big deposit day is coming up so hoping to hear soon.

Haha, I'm in the same exact situation. We Are now officially in mid-cycle/early late territory so it's making me extremely nervous. I am genuinely hoping we all hear something soon especially once people start withdrawing after dec 14th! I'll post back on here when/if I hear about an ii.

I received my complete and in review email, but do not have portal login credentials. Is that normal?

It is most likely going to be in your spam folder, especially if you have gmail. I had three emails with my credentials for portal login in my spam foder.

Did anyone from the 12/5 interview hear anything back today? I was under the impression we were getting our decision back today. I just dread waiting another week.

Did anyone from the 12/5 interview hear anything back today? I was under the impression we were getting our decision back today. I just dread waiting another week.

Does anyone have an idea how many people get interviewed every week and the number over the course of the interview season?

Does anyone have an idea how many people get interviewed every week and the number over the course of the interview season?

My group had around 11-12 people, and I think that's the avg interview group. As far as how many get interviewed, one number I saw in the Dothan Magazine was 450 students interviewed last season.

I haven't heard anything back yet either but I remember Dr Reynolds telling us 1 to 2 weeks depending on when the Dean is in town plus some one mentioned earlier how students are taking finals and the faculty will be very busy especially the weeks we are waiting. So idk if that affects us but just what's in my head. Good luck to you I hope to see you in class next fall!!

Anyone have trouble using their iPhone to access the portal?

Is there a portal. I just want to check my starus

Just got the call. In! Woohoo

Congrats to all the new acceptees! ACOM is awesome and I highly recommend it

Anyone know how to navigate the portal? Where do I look for information on my status?

I have status: paperwork complete
Sounds so... Non committal. Lol

I have status: paperwork complete
Sounds so... Non committal. Lol
haha yeah, that how mine looks. You should definitely give them a call. They are actually one of the nicest admission com I have ever talked to and gave me better insight on my status.

Last edited:
Got the call earlier today! There was much yelling and hopping around. :soexcited:Congrats to everyone else who got accepted!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call earlier today! There was much yelling and hopping around. :soexcited:Congrats to everyone else who got accepted!

Congrats FutureSunnyDoc!! I definitely had the same reaction! Hope to see you next fall, class of 2019, woo!

From reading previous posts, am I right to assume that interview decisions are given no later than 2 weeks after the interview? I'm trying to decide whether to take an interview slot 2 weeks elsewhere after my Jan. 23 ACOM interview, but that would mean if I get rejected from ACOM, I'd have to scramble for flights and hotels (which would be more expensive).

Or should I just book everything in advance and cancel if I decide to attend ACOM? How much are cancellation fees anyway... I think I'm overthinking this... =/