Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an invite yesterday as well. Luckily I found one for February 20th.
Will see you there got 20th as well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of stats/ circumstances are landing people on the waitlist or rejected?

What kind of stats/ circumstances are landing people on the waitlist or rejected?
Post-interveiw, right? I am on the waitlist. I don't know that it is any sort of anything stats or circumstance wise, other than a school trying to see your fit.

So I just reread the last 7 pages of last years thread for the waitlist info.

1. Per the posts: No one got off the wait list till May. It is my understanding based on the posts that they go through the whole cycle accept a full class and then pull as people abandon their deposits in May.

2. The email sent to me said it was a "living list" this is apparently not how it works in reality tho. Or at least, not how I think a living list works (i.e. they look at it every time they look at a new batch of interviewees). Based on what I see, you are basically set aside in a pile till May (or April 30th this year probably).

3. Waitlist is not ranked. They just go over everyone's file again in may and start picking based on how many spots they have.

4. In 2012 something like 40/82 got off the waitlist (that was the first year, no idea what happened last year).

So there you have it. Waitlist = nothing till May. That sucks for me, cause I am on it. But at least I have an idea what to expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your heads up people! I'm a 2017er and am loving it here. I was the last interview group and got waitlisted, received my offer on July 8. Good luck to you all!

Have any of you guys who set up an interview date received a confirmation or anything? I have scheduled my interview for 2/20/15, but I haven't received any sort of confirmation. Should I give admissions a call to verify?

Post-interveiw, right? I am on the waitlist. I don't know that it is any sort of anything stats or circumstance wise, other than a school trying to see your fit.

1. Per the posts: No one got off the wait list till May. It is my understanding based on the posts that they go through the whole cycle accept a full class and then pull as people abandon their deposits in May.

2. The email sent to me said it was a "living list" this is apparently not how it works in reality tho. Or at least, not how I think a living list works (i.e. they look at it every time they look at a new batch of interviewees). Based on what I see, you are basically set aside in a pile till May (or April 30th this year probably).

3. Waitlist is not ranked. They just go over everyone's file again in may and start picking based on how many spots they have.

4. In 2012 something like 40/82 got off the waitlist (that was the first year, no idea what happened last year).

So there you have it. Waitlist = nothing till May. That sucks for me, cause I am on it. But at least I have an idea what to expect.

preach it man.

I had average stats for this school and was wait listed.

The thing that really bothered me about my wait list decision was that a lot of people who were accepted from my interview group, were hinting at this being a safety school for them throughout the interview day. :eyebrow:

Reactions: 3 users
I had average stats for this school and was wait listed.

The thing that really bothered me about my wait list decision was that a lot of people who were accepted from my interview group, were hinting at this being a safety school for them throughout the interview day. :eyebrow:
Lots of schools like the same folks, but I agree its no fun being put in the "B" tier. But similar to the phrase "old fart is better than no fart" wait list is better than rejected.

I just logged into my portal two months after scheduling my interview. I had to reset my password because my old one wasn't working and when I logged in and clicked on "My Schedule", my interview date doesn't show up. I've checked many times before and it's always been there, but not anymore. I don't think it's normal... I emailed Linda about it but I don't know if she's on holiday break so I don't know how fast she'll get back to me. I think I might have a screenshot of it on my laptop, but in the meantime, any ideas on what happened?

I received an email saying that my application was complete on 11/3 and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what I should do or if I should just assume I'm denied. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

I received an email saying that my application was complete on 11/3 and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what I should do or if I should just assume I'm denied. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

There's still some time left in the cycle; they interview up until April 27. For any school, I would start assuming you're not going to be extended an interview around late February or March.

No. Your case might be like mine where they put you on interview hold (11/3 was also my complete date). I will be most likely hearing from them in January. So hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they specifically tell you that you'll be hearing from them this month, or was that a guess?

They said this when I called them. It doesn't mean it is true for everyone, this is why you should call them and ask.

Did anybody else receive an email inviting them to fill out their secondary...again? I finished and paid for that secondary already. Should I call them?

Edit: I called. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is anything else to do after paying for the deposit? I have emailed them and been waiting for a reply for a few days now, but thought I would ask incase someone here knows. Planning a trip out of the country and want to book tickets soon.

Did anybody else receive an email inviting them to fill out their secondary...again? I finished and paid for that secondary already. Should I call them?

Edit: I called. Nothing to worry about.

Which number did you call on the menu? I've been trying to call student services because of my interview date problem and no one's been picking up :( I've also emailed them last week and again today but no replies yet.

Which number did you call on the menu? I've been trying to call student services because of my interview date problem and no one's been picking up :( I've also emailed them last week and again today but no replies yet.
(334)-699-2266

Hi Elleiram,

Another applicant informed us of this thread concerning the "My Schedule" not displaying a previous scheduled date. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. There is only a small percentage of applicants who are experiencing this issue . It's only affecting those who were scheduled from January to March. If you want to confirm your interview date, you can email me at [email protected] and I can send you a screenshot confirming your interview date.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Elleiram,

Another applicant informed us of this thread concerning the "My Schedule" not displaying a previous scheduled date. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. There is only a small percentage of applicants who are experiencing this issue . It's only affecting those who were scheduled from January to March. If you want to confirm your interview date, you can email me at [email protected] and I can send you a screenshot confirming your interview date.

Thanks,
Jon

Fortunately, I was able to confirm my interview date last night after a few phone calls, but thanks a lot for the reply! This will definitely help the other applicants who are having the same problems. Pretty cool to get a response from someone at ACOM :D

From what I remember, this is mostly true, but with one caveat. I seem to remember it being pretty rare for anyone interviewing past Feb. to get admitted w/o being placed on the wait-list. My understanding was that late in the cycle you not only had to definitively be a better candidate than anyone in the wait-list, but also have a pretty high likelihood of attending if you are accepted.

I believe that they wait until May to re-evaluate the wait-list because of the deposit deadline. There is a lot of jostling for spots and seats trickle their way down and open up. I remember one of the admissions people saying they must have filled the last few seat 10+ times, but people are less likely to walk away from a seat once they have made the deposit.

Accepted from the 12/12 interview group! Does anyone know the rent at the student housing complex? Their office is closed for the break, and I was just curious...I've got a daughter so I'll need a 2BR for sure, trying to get some numbers for when I'm assaulted with questions from family over Christmas.:)

If you need 2 BR its not really worth it to live in student housing, you can rent a 3BR-2BA house close to the school for around $800 a month, utilities & cable will run you ~$150-$200. You will save some money and gain some space to spread out a little bit.

If you need 2 BR its not really worth it to live in student housing, you can rent a 3BR-2BA house close to the school for around $800 a month, utilities & cable will run you ~$150-$200. You will save some money and gain some space to spread out a little bit.

I second this. I'm in a 3BR/2BA at Sweetwater for $790 and internet and power/water run around $200.
Check on here or the Facebook page before you rent at any of the apartments because there is probably someone from school living there and many times they pay referral fees. Last year one of the students used all his referral fees to host a party for the new folks.

Does anyone know how many people acom interviews vs accepts?

Georgia resident here planning a trip to the area 2 weeks from now. Interview Feb 13th. Any current students that would love to throw some ideas for the itinerary at me will be greatly appreciated.

As of right now the list is 1) get there (5 hour drive = not too bad) 2) visit the campus 3) go around the big circle 4) find sustenance and libations.

Hello! I have a few quick questions. Were ii sent through email? Also, how long does it take between completion and ii for most people? I submitted pretty late, but am very eager to hear!

yes ii through email. I was complete 11/17 and received my ii 12/22. Whether this is relatively standard when looking at all applicants to ACOM, I am unsure as SDN is a small sample of applicants. You could go through all 22 pages and document users who divulged that information and find an average.... but once again this is only a small sample. I wish the best for you as I have had to battle the same feelings. Good luck!

I was able to reschedule my interview yesterday from March 6th to Jan. 23rd (thanks to whomever vacated their spot). This is one of my top schools so I'm excited to interview. I'll be driving from Atlanta, GA area on Thursday, Jan. 22nd if anyone else is going down for the Jan. 23rd interview date and wants to car pool, PM me or email me [email protected]. I plan on driving back Friday after the interview. My schedule is fairly flexible. Good luck to all of the other applicants.

tl; dr - carpool for Jan. 23rd interview date leaving from Atlanta, GA on Jan. 22nd. Email or PM me.

I will be withdrawing my interview spot for 2/20. Pm me if anyone wants the spot. :D

I'm not sure how you schedule an interview they send you that information in the online system or only after your letter writers have sent in their letters of rec. My app was released from aacom on 1/13 they sent my 2nd on 1/15

If you are extended an invitation to interview you will receive an email post-secondary.

I will be withdrawing my interview spot for 2/20. Pm me if anyone wants the spot. :D
Hey! I'm trying to message you, but it won't let me. Did someone already take your 2/20 spot?

Hey! I'm trying to message you, but it won't let me. Did someone already take your 2/20 spot?
Yes. Someone had asked me to wait until Tuesday to make sure s/he gets the day off on 2/20. If it doesnt work out for that person I will msg you :)

Yes. Someone had asked me to wait until Tuesday to make sure s/he gets the day off on 2/20. If it doesnt work out for that person I will msg you :)
Okay thanks! Just let me know!

Flights into DHN are ridiculously overpriced. Are Pensacola and Panama City the best deal (1.5-2 hour drive)? I suppose there is ATL (to which I can fly direct), but that is over 3 hours without traffic, and Atlanta traffic might be a gamble, especially with the threat of winter weather in February.

Edit: I'd be flying in from PVD (Providence, RI) or BOS (Boston)...BDL (Hartford) if really necessary.

Flights into DHN are ridiculously overpriced. Are Pensacola and Panama City the best deal (1.5-2 hour drive)? I suppose there is ATL (to which I can fly direct), but that is over 3 hours without traffic, and Atlanta traffic might be a gamble, especially with the threat of winter weather in February.

Edit: I'd be flying in from PVD (Providence, RI) or BOS (Boston)...BDL (Hartford) if really necessary.
Atlanta is going to be the cheapest by far. you could also look into flying into Montgomery and drive down (1 1/2 hours)

Weather here in Alabama does not usually get bad even in the dead of winter. We may have a freak snow storm here or there but that is rare.

Canceling my interview here! Hope it goes to someone super excited for the invite :D

Anyone else have trouble accessing the website from their iPhone? Trying to check the interview dates.
Is there a workaround for this?

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone wanted to switch interview dates!!! Looking for earlier than 3/6 :)

So I was able to move my interview to Friday, January 23rd! Exciting! Anyone have any advice? Also, how soon do they decide on your admission decision? Sorry y'all I'm new to this thread.

Last edited:

The drive from ATL is not bad. There is little traffic to deal with because the airport is on the west side of the city and you get right on the highway to take you out of there. I have made the drive several times now at different times of the day and pretty much make it in 3.5 hours everytime. The only other recommendation I would make is Panama City airport. Its about a 1.5 hour drive and sometimes you find decently priced flights but it would still be more expensive then ATL.

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are currently 2 1/23/15 spots available! Grab em if interested! :)