Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Grabbed one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To those that have interviewed. Is there a meet and greet any reason to get to dothan earlier in the evening the night before?

To those that have interviewed. Is there a meet and greet any reason to get to dothan earlier in the evening the night before?
There isn't any official meet & greet organized by the school. However, I would recommend, especially if you're not from the area, to take an afternoon either before or after your interview to explore Dothan and get a feel for the different parts of town, check out housing, etc. Might save you a future trip if you decide to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
The address on the CIB kicks back on my navigation. Anyone have a better one to use?

What's the tornado situation like near this school? I have a 20+ year old tornado phobia and is pretty much the only drawback for me besides the dropped rotation sites in Florida.

What do you mean dropped rotation sites in Florida?

What's the tornado situation like near this school? I have a 20+ year old tornado phobia and is pretty much the only drawback for me besides the dropped rotation sites in Florida.
I'm not sure what you mean about dropped sites in Florida either and I am a current student.

Tornados- Yes we have them especially during the spring but there is a great warning system in place here. The storms of a few years ago were anomalies as far as the lives lost. Most of the time you have adequate warning to get to safety and once you are in a safe place the threat is over. Tornados are small (usually) so the problems they cause are in small specific locations at one time.
Feel free to PM me with specific concerns and I will happily address them. Ive lived in Alabama all my life.

So excited for this interview tomorrow! Anyone have any last minute advice? Apart from getting enough sleep haha

Hey congrats to everyone who's already been accepted! I was attending ACOM until December 2014. I now have a new job in Auburn Alabama and am trying to move out of Dothan.

I know it's early but if anyone is already trying to move down to Dothan I am looking to sublease my apartment. I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment with a ACOM student at magnolia preserve. The rent is only 501 a month and it's a brand new apartment. The place is really nice with great facilities and a friendly staff. Let me know if you're interested and I can share some more details.

ALSO

I am selling the required medical equipment you'll need for class. No damage at all it was only lightly used, I just don't have any use for it anymore. I don't remember the exact price so correct me if i'm wrong but I think the pacakage was around 800-900 dollars. If you want to buy it from me I'll knock off 400 bucks off the price.

If you're interested in either the apartment or the medical equipment package send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks and good luck next year!

is anyone having issues logging onto their portal to check status? Apparently my login doesn't work and forgot password doesn't either....

Members don't see this ad :)
You think that means they pulled the plug and won't offer interview? I'll shoot them a call tomorrow and see what happened.

You know, I thought the same thing, but I was hoping that I was just being the typical neurotic premed. I thought they would just have "Rejected" as the status instead of completely deleting the account. I don't know o_O Please let me know if you do get an answer!

Reactions: 1 user
How long ago did you log in last? I had to contact IT (who got back to me very quickly), who gave me a new password to log in with.

How long ago did you log in last? I had to contact IT (who got back to me very quickly), who gave me a new password to log in with.
Well...it was the first time I checked my account in about a month. It may have been deactivated between that time not really sure. I'll call IT tomorrow to see if there was an issue.

I don't think I have ever logged in... Am I missing the boat?
They should have sent you your creditials to log into your portal where it shows your status and what documents they received. Seems like most people's 3 credential email that were sent went straight to spam. Happened to me as well. Others might have issues and had to call IT to get that information.

Everyone who is having portal issues - it's ok, you haven't been rejected...This has been an ongoing issue with the system. It was finicky last year too. Just call IT and they'll set you up.
If anyone had specific questions about ACOM feel free top message me

Everyone who is having portal issues - it's ok, you haven't been rejected...This has been an ongoing issue with the system. It was finicky last year too. Just call IT and they'll set you up.
If anyone had specific questions about ACOM feel free top message me
You know, I thought the same thing, but I was hoping that I was just being the typical neurotic premed. I thought they would just have "Rejected" as the status instead of completely deleting the account. I don't know o_O Please let me know if you do get an answer!

Hey so I called and yeah they were having issues DocWinter. But he said my password just probably expired. He resetted it and it all looks good. No rejection. So definitely call them!

How does ACOM let you know of acceptances? What's they typical time frame? Was it on the portal first?

How does ACOM let you know of acceptances? What's they typical time frame? Was it on the portal first?

Usually if there are no delays, you will receive a phone call with your acceptance approximately 2 weeks after your interview. (It could be longer in certain cases). Then you will receive an email and a letter with your decision after the fact. I am unsure when that decision gets posted to the portal though.

Usually if there are no delays, you will receive a phone call with your acceptance approximately 2 weeks after your interview. (It could be longer in certain cases). Then you will receive an email and a letter with your decision after the fact. I am unsure when that decision gets posted to the portal though.

Thanks!

The admissions committee was postponed a bit so if it is longer than 2 weeks don't freak out. They haven't forgotten about you.

I got mine the Friday following my interview. but the time frame might vary. Also I only received an email, no call.

Hey congrats to everyone who's already been accepted! I was attending ACOM until December 2014. I now have a new job in Auburn Alabama and am trying to move out of Dothan.

I know it's early but if anyone is already trying to move down to Dothan I am looking to sublease my apartment. I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment with a ACOM student at magnolia preserve. The rent is only 501 a month and it's a brand new apartment. The place is really nice with great facilities and a friendly staff. Let me know if you're interested and I can share some more details.

ALSO

I am selling the required medical equipment you'll need for class. No damage at all it was only lightly used, I just don't have any use for it anymore. I don't remember the exact price so correct me if i'm wrong but I think the pacakage was around 800-900 dollars. If you want to buy it from me I'll knock off 400 bucks off the price.

If you're interested in either the apartment or the medical equipment package send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks and good luck next year!
Why did you leave ACOM if you don't mind me asking?

Why did you leave ACOM if you don't mind me asking?
After I failed Renal I decided it was a sign and it wasn't for me so I didn't fight to appeal the decision. I really enjoyed my time at the school as a whole it was the career that wasn't a good decision.

Can a 1st or 2nd year contact me to discuss this school? I may have to decide between ACOM and another school in the near future and would like to hear opinions and knowledge of current students. Thanks!

Hey yall! I have my interview here this Friday. I was looking for the link with the information on the agenda and stuff to bring but the link won't work for me. Can you guys reply with the info?

Thanks!

Hey yall! I have my interview here this Friday. I was looking for the link with the information on the agenda and stuff to bring but the link won't work for me. Can you guys reply with the info?

Thanks!

Dress: Business Professional

ID: You need your state issued ID and either a Birth Certificate or valid Passport

The day starts at 8:30 but I'd get there just after 8 in order to fill out papers and settle in.

Schedule: You'll start in the morning with general information sessions. Hear from some administration, faculty, perhaps the dean. After that you will have interviews then a tour of the facilities. Lunch will be served and during that time you get to talk to current students with no admin or faculty present so that you can ask any questions you have. After lunch you will go back in for some more information sessions like financial aid. The day ends around 3 or so and you can head back home.

Know why you want be an osteopathic physician. Be able to address any weaknesses in your application. Breathe. The interview is very informal here and comes across more like a conversation than a grilling (at least that was my experience.)

Good Luck

Rejected today via email. interviewed 1/23/2015. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. Although I was extremely impressed with the school and just loved everything about ACOM.

Waitlisted! interview was 1-23-2015. Looking forward to a potential later acceptance. Great school, location, faculty, and facilities.

Keep your head up. I've had rejections, decisions deferred, and not even heard back from some schools that I was complete with in September. Secure your plan B and C if this is your only cycle and enjoy life.

Reactions: 2 users
Canceling my interview. Good luck to you all!

Sorry to hear about the rejections and wait listings (hopefully you still get in!). This is my second cycle so my advice to anyone that doesn't get in this year is to bolster your application and apply EARLY next cycle.
I also interviewed on 1/23 and got my acceptance email yesterday! I was the short, white kid with a grey suit. I was very impressed with ACOM and could very well end up going here in the fall.
My stats are MCAT:28 cGPA:3.77 sGPA:3.7

Edit: I applied as a TN (where I grew up) resident, but I currently live in Atlanta, GA.

HELP! Do any current students have Dr. Lyons email address? I interviewed with him yesterday and he gave me his card, but it must have fallen out of my folder at some point between the tour and the airport. I e-mailed admissions but I know they won't be in until Monday. Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

HELP! Do any current students have Dr. Lyons email address? I interviewed with him yesterday and he gave me his card, but it must have fallen out of my folder at some point between the tour and the airport. I e-mailed admissions but I know they won't be in until Monday. Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hey all.
I have an interview coming up on the 20th, and I'd like to get some input on transportation to this school. I'm flying in from NY and I'm looking at these prices to the Dothan airport and they are ridiculously expensive. I read an earlier post about flying into Atlanta, with a ~3 hour drive. Are there any other suggestions?

I flew in to Tallahassee, the drive was ~1.5 hours. It's a small airport, but basically a straight shot from the airport to Dothan on I-10. My flight was significantly cheaper than flying in to Dothan.

I flew in to Tallahassee, the drive was ~1.5 hours. It's a small airport, but basically a straight shot from the airport to Dothan on I-10. My flight was significantly cheaper than flying in to Dothan.

Also try mobile and Montgomery.
Don't bother with Dothan airport, it's just waaay too pricy. Expect to drive 2-3 hours.

Thank you guys for reaching out. I was doing some searching around and I found the most cost effective and time effective travel would be for me to fly into Atlanta. Not looking forward to that 3 hour drive at all...Do you guys know anything about traffic in that region?

Thank you guys for reaching out. I was doing some searching around and I found the most cost effective and time effective travel would be for me to fly into Atlanta. Not looking forward to that 3 hour drive at all...Do you guys know anything about traffic in that region?
You'll be fine. Atlanta airport is south of the city, so easy getting out, and you're in rural jawja and Alabama the test of the trip. Traffic does not really exist.

Question for other accepted students. According to certified profile, ACOM is requiring "2 varicella vaccinations AND titers showing IgG." It is a bit weird to require vaccinations for chicken pox if you have had it as a child and titers would prove immunity (regardless of if we even had chicken pox or not). I called certified profile, they said titers prove immunity, and I said exactly so why would I get 2 vaccinations ($300 at Walgreen's) if I already had chicken pox.... even the representative was pretty shocked that we would need vaccinations even if titers would prove immunity. She recommended asking the school directly, I've tried calling Friday and again today and no answer.... anyone have any insight?

Also, we are required to get a physical exam, but I haven't seen an exam form anywhere, and my doctor's office doesn't have a standard "exam form" to give patients. Any ideas?

Question for other accepted students. According to certified profile, ACOM is requiring "2 varicella vaccinations AND titers showing IgG." It is a bit weird to require vaccinations for chicken pox if you have had it as a child and titers would prove immunity (regardless of if we even had chicken pox or not). I called certified profile, they said titers prove immunity, and I said exactly so why would I get 2 vaccinations ($300 at Walgreen's) if I already had chicken pox.... even the representative was pretty shocked that we would need vaccinations even if titers would prove immunity. She recommended asking the school directly, I've tried calling Friday and again today and no answer.... anyone have any insight?

Also, we are required to get a physical exam, but I haven't seen an exam form anywhere, and my doctor's office doesn't have a standard "exam form" to give patients. Any ideas?

I am quite confused by this also. I send Robert Willis an email and I am waiting to hear back.

You need either one, not both. You don't need both titers and vaccs. I am sure that is a misprint; it's unlikely they would have changed it since last year and that's unnecessary anyway.
There is a form for you, it's somewhere on certifiedprofile or in one if the emails they send you. Look through all the folders in the emails welcoming you, somewhere in there you'll find it.