Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Currently dying of anticipation if anyone couldn't tell. I wish I didn't even know that ACOM has such a fast turn-around rate of letting people know where they stand after interviews.... Would be cool to just expect to hear within the next few weeks and then be pleasantly surprised to get an earlier response. Dying. Dyyyyyyyyyyying. Come on ACOM!! :arghh::D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Currently dying of anticipation if anyone couldn't tell. I wish I didn't even know that ACOM has such a fast turn-around rate of letting people know where they stand after interviews.... Would be cool to just expect to hear within the next few weeks and then be pleasantly surprised to get an earlier response. Dying. Dyyyyyyyyyyying. Come on ACOM!! :arghh::D
Feel your pain! I loved the school and am anxiously awaiting their decision:) hopefully good for both of us!

Reactions: 1 user
Just a random waitlist thought, can DO schools see where else you've been accepted to? i know this is how it works with MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

What they told us was that the admissions committee meets on the Monday after the interview which is fast, but the choices then have to be approved by the dean which is what can cause delays. I guess he is out doing campus tours etc this time of year so they said it could be a week or two if he's not in to confirm the selections. Luckily it only took a week for us... crossing my fingers for you guys, and girls, that are still waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 1 users
Just a random waitlist thought, can DO schools see where else you've been accepted to? i know this is how it works with MD schools.
I don't think so. I've had interviews where they've asked me whether I've been accepted to any other COMs. They might, but I doubt it.

ACOM is closed today for Good Friday. So we won't be getting any calls until at least Monday :(

Deposit in. Hello ACOM '19! :happy:

If this week is spring break for ACOM students does that mean the front offices and committees will be on break as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Safe to assume the 3/30 interview group is included in these decisions?

I got an e-mail that I am on the wait-list. I am hoping for the best, as ACOM is my top choice!

Does someone already in the FB group have to invite you to join?

Woah, Congrats to all!! I didn't think this week would have much movement...I guess today wasn't my time for a call... maybe tomorrow? or the next...or the day after that...or after that...or after that....:boom:

Hang in there Roscoe11 !

I called the school, and this is the information I received about the wait list. Much of this may be repeated information, but I will go ahead and post it in case someone else is freshly placed on the wait list and finds it helpful.
- There is no ranking.
- Toward the end of April/beginning of May is when they normally see students begin to drop their deposits. As spots become available, they review the applications of those on the wait list. This goes on through July.
- I was told they randomly review wait list applicants. However, they do take into consideration how applicants fulfill their mission statement. If you are from Alabama or the tri-state area, then your application will be reviewed towards the beginning.
- There are *roughly* 100 people on the wait list. I was told to keep in mind that many people on the wait list get accepted to other schools and do not formally withdraw their application. This list has been forming since September. Based on past application cycles, they typically accept ~40 people off of the wait list.
- If offered an acceptance between May and the beginning of June, then you will still have 14 days to pay the deposit. However, if offered an acceptance between the end of June and July, you will have around 3 days to pay the deposit.
And most importantly...
- Stay positive! :)

Congratulations to all who have been accepted so far, and I hope I will join you all soon in the ACOM class of 2019!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I called the school, and this is the information I received about the wait list. Much of this may be repeated information, but I will go ahead and post it in case someone else is freshly placed on the wait list and finds it helpful.
- There is no ranking.
- Toward the end of April/beginning of May is when they normally see students begin to drop their deposits. As spots become available, they review the applications of those on the wait list. This goes on through July.
- I was told they randomly review wait list applicants. However, they do take into consideration how applicants fulfill their mission statement. If you are from Alabama or the tri-state area, then your application will be reviewed towards the beginning.
- There are *roughly* 100 people on the wait list. I was told to keep in mind that many people on the wait list get accepted to other schools and do not formally withdraw their application. This list has been forming since September. Based on past application cycles, they typically accept ~40 people off of the wait list.
- If offered an acceptance between May and the beginning of June, then you will still have 14 days to pay the deposit. However, if offered an acceptance between the end of June and July, you will have around 3 days to pay the deposit.
And most importantly...

Congratulations to all who have been accepted so far, and I hope I will join you all soon in the ACOM class of 2019!
Thanks for making this list. As a fellow waitlister, it is very helpful! See ya at ACOM :xf:

Does anyone know the method of withdrawing acceptance? Email? I am choosing to go elsewhere and I hope that one of you waiting will get my spot. Also, I hope they throw a big pizza party with that 2k deposit ;)

Reactions: 4 users
- There is no ranking.
And most importantly...

This gives me hope :nod:

Hi everyone,

I just gave up my interview spot scheduled for this coming Monday, April 13th if anyone wants it. Good luck to you all!

Congrats to everyone who got in! Hope the rest of you get in too! I was just wondering if they send out interview invites as they review applications, or just send them out on one day each week or something. I was complete 3 days ago but haven't heard anything yet. How long was the wait for you guys once your application was complete?

Congrats to everyone who got in! Hope the rest of you get in too! I was just wondering if they send out interview invites as they review applications, or just send them out on one day each week or something. I was complete 3 days ago but haven't heard anything yet. How long was the wait for you guys once your application was complete?
from what I remember they review it and send out invites by the end of the day. So clusters of interviews. You're just complete right before the deadline? Haha that's a bit late

Hello all, I was accepted back in December, but haven't really followed the message boards much...hoping to correct that now, so congrats to all who've made it so far...I was just curious what the impressions are of those living off campus in apartments, (i.e., where are you at, and do you like it?)...the on campus apartments seem nice, but are too expensive and somewhat counter-intuitive for myself, since I'll be having to leave each day anyways to drop off/pick up my little girl from her school and daycare (makes more sense to do that while commuting to/from ACOM than making a needless round-trip each day).

Speaking of children, I'm also curious what the experience of current students with children has been, I wrote extensively about my daughter and being a single parent in the application essays and discussed her at length during the interview and I was still offered admission, so they must have confidence that it can be done...just curious if any current students are in the same boat and what their experience has been.

Congrats all!! Looking forward to a great year!

Hello all, I was accepted back in December, but haven't really followed the message boards much...hoping to correct that now, so congrats to all who've made it so far...I was just curious what the impressions are of those living off campus in apartments, (i.e., where are you at, and do you like it?)...the on campus apartments seem nice, but are too expensive and somewhat counter-intuitive for myself, since I'll be having to leave each day anyways to drop off/pick up my little girl from her school and daycare (makes more sense to do that while commuting to/from ACOM than making a needless round-trip each day).

Speaking of children, I'm also curious what the experience of current students with children has been, I wrote extensively about my daughter and being a single parent in the application essays and discussed her at length during the interview and I was still offered admission, so they must have confidence that it can be done...just curious if any current students are in the same boat and what their experience has been.

Some really good advice on off campus apartments has been mentioned on the facebook page for our class by some current students. They also could probably help you with questions about kids etc, I know one post was about being married and attending. heres the link again https://www.facebook.com/groups/ACOM2019/

We live off campus in Sweetwater and love it. We have a 3br/2ba and pay $790/month The staff here has been great to work with. My child is a newborn so I've only been doing this for 5 weeks with him but so far it has been good. all of med school is really about learning to balance life no matter what circumstances you have. Feel free to message me any specifics you want to know that you don't find on the Facebook page or on here. Congrats and welcome to the family.
Byron

I have 24 MCAT. do you think I will get an ii ???

Let's put it this way, if you are selected for an interview you have just as good of a chance as any. Better chance in fact. The interview is easy breezy. Be yourself, follow up with thank you emails, be social and chat with everyone.

We live off campus in Sweetwater and love it. We have a 3br/2ba and pay $790/month The staff here has been great to work with. My child is a newborn so I've only been doing this for 5 weeks with him but so far it has been good. all of med school is really about learning to balance life no matter what circumstances you have. Feel free to message me any specifics you want to know that you don't find on the Facebook page or on here. Congrats and welcome to the family.
Byron

Thank you! Sweetwater is at the top of my list, I'm hoping to come out there and secure a place within the next two or three weeks, looking forward to meeting everyone! Doug

Thank you! Sweetwater is at the top of my list, I'm hoping to come out there and secure a place within the next two or three weeks, looking forward to meeting everyone! Doug
tell them i sent you and they'll do a referral. if it's cash i'll split it with you.

For those of you in the on-campus housing, what's your opinion? I'm trying to decide if I should live on or off campus--driving is not a concern for me, I have a little girl so I'll be leaving to take her to school/daycare anyways, so aside from the simple convenience of being there, what do you on-campus folks think of the apartments? Thanks! Doug

Also, one other question, for folks with children, which daycare do you use, and what's the cost? Thanks! Doug

As far as on-campus housing, it's extremely convenient, and I've personally enjoyed living here. I'm Class of 2017, and I actually came here to mention the on-campus housing because they're also doing a referral program, and I'd happily split the referral bonus with any 2019er who put me down. I will say there have been some complaints this year about noise from construction since they're adding new buildings for you guys, but that shouldn't affect you.

That aside, feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have (or for my actual info if you are planning to try for on-campus housing).

Also, one other question, for folks with children, which daycare do you use, and what's the cost? Thanks! Doug
Hi Doug,
I'm also a first year and I have a 3 and 4 year old. I don't live on campus or in an apartment, so I can't comment on those, but feel free to message me here or find me on Facebook as well and I can answer any questions you might have about daycare, housing, fun stuff to do for your little lady, and how to manage school and being a parent (the secret is you can do it!). Congratulations and welcome!

Thanks for the housing feedback everyone! Glad to hear there's other parents there, can't wait to see my little one make some new friends. :)

Just wonder has any one gotten in ACOM with a verbal reasoning 6? Thanks for your info!

There have been rumors of such numbers. It's certainly possible.​
The average MCAT for the 2018 class is 26, and the average accepted MCAT for the incoming 2019 class is reportedly 28+.

Breaks down to roughly a 9+ in each section. Best of luck

Hey y'all,
Has anyone heard of any movement off the wait list yet? Currently on the waitlist and hoping for some good news in the coming weeks. I recently sent some updated grades so I'm hoping that will help as well :)