Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all,
Has anyone heard of any movement off the wait list yet? Currently on the waitlist and hoping for some good news in the coming weeks. I recently sent some updated grades so I'm hoping that will help as well :)

Not yet. From what I have understood, movement is sure to come between April 30th and May 15th.

April 30th is an M.D. application related deadline where from then on students are no longer allowed to hold multiple acceptances at schools and must decide on one school, and May 15th is when D.O. applicants no longer have the 2 week time period after being offered admission to decide if they'd like to put down a deposit.

Members don't see this ad.

There have been rumors of such numbers. It's certainly possible.​
The average MCAT for the 2018 class is 26, and the average accepted MCAT for the incoming 2019 class is reportedly 28+.

Breaks down to roughly a 9+ in each section. Best of luck

Thank you. Do you know why there is more than 2 points increasing in MCAT? Is the school emphasizing MCAT scores this year or just because D.O. schools are much more competitive than before?

So according to the trend, the MCAT score of applying for the entering class in 2016 will be 30+?

Thank you. Do you know why there is more than 2 points increasing in MCAT? Is the school emphasizing MCAT scores this year or just because D.O. schools are much more competitive than before?

So according to the trend, the MCAT score of applying for the entering class in 2016 will be 30+?
The standards are getting more difficult as the school gets more established. While it is logical that the averages will increase I do not expect it to get to a 30 average. MCAT is just one factor they consider and I have seen ACOM truly look at the whole individual as a basis for admittance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted here today.

Reactions: 9 users
congrats to both of you!! Did you all recently interview or get the call up to the majors from the Waitlist?

1) the competition is getting stiffer. ACOM is getting a solid reputation and the numbers will go up.
2) the 28 is the average accepted MCAT - the average for those who attend hasn't been determined. However, it is am indication of where your stats should be.

I was accepted with a 26: 9, 9, 8

It wasn't brought up in my interview, so I'm assuming it was perfectly fine. They brought up a C and a withdrawl on my transcript, so I'm sure they would have said something if my score wasn't alright. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if this has been brought p before but i'm really torn between ACOM and WCUCOM. Does anyone have an input. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

I chose ACOM because I heard negative things about rotation sites at WCUCOM. Also, ACOM really struck a chord with me saying, "we definitely have a preference for family practice, but will do everything in our power to help you get into ANY specialty you want." This was important to me because I'm not sure what specialty I want to go into, and don't want to close any doors for myself. At WCUCOM, I felt like they want a class full of family doctors. I may end up a family doc, but I still want to leave all my options open. Also, the testing format at ACOM sounded awesome to me. Basically, you're prepping for boards from day one there. And diagnostic practice starting 1st semester? I'm sold :)
Additionally, I didn't like the college atmosphere at WCUCOM. Sitting in the parking lot about to go into my interview, there were people running around everywhere eating honeysuckle and playing hackeysack (sp?) and crap. I'm done with the university culture, and felt like it would be annoying to study around all that stuff.
But I obviously chose ACOM, so I'm partial! Just my feelings on my acceptances to both.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I have an interview May 14. Wondering if I actually have a chance of getting accepted with that late of an interview. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I have an interview May 14. Wondering if I actually have a chance of getting accepted with that late of an interview. Thanks all!

I am not sure about how many seats are open but they did say there was major wait list movement last year. ~40 people so if you don't have an acceptance anywhere else I would for sure attend and if you are holding an acceptance elsewhere and you're curious about the school I would go anyway.

There have been rumors of such numbers. It's certainly possible.​
The average MCAT for the 2018 class is 26, and the average accepted MCAT for the incoming 2019 class is reportedly 28+.

Breaks down to roughly a 9+ in each section. Best of luck

Where has this information come from that the avg is a 28+, if you don't mind me asking?

Also I think the presence of VCOM Auburn will have an effect on waitlist movement for in state applicants this cycle. Both schools founded to meet the primary care need of AL, so that makes 2 schools grabbing instate applicants.

Where has this information come from that the avg is a 28+, if you don't mind me asking?

Also I think the presence of VCOM Auburn will have an effect on waitlist movement for in state applicants this cycle. Both schools founded to meet the primary care need of AL, so that makes 2 schools grabbing instate applicants.

Have you called yet or seen waitlist movement?

Hearsay on campus. Someone heard from a faulty or something like that, it gets passed on.

There was (concrete, told to us) word that there were 40+ applicants taken from the WL last time around, and I agree with you on your assessment of VCOM and that impact.

Last edited:
Have you called yet or seen waitlist movement?

I called in late march and had been told they had taken just a handful off of the waitlist. They reiterated to me that the waitlist will really move in early May.

Hang in there bud. We've waited this long, we can wait a little more :thumbup:

I called in late march and had been told they had taken just a handful off of the waitlist. They reiterated to me that the waitlist will really move in early May.

I've seen you in the board and just hope you get in! we shall see you in July =)

Reactions: 2 users

upload_2015-4-23_21-55-32.png
i hope you all have seen the movie 'Idiocracy'....if not you will probably think this is just really weird...

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I've been researching elementary schools for my little girl, for those of you with young children, I was just curious to get your impressions of the schools they attend, would appreciate your thoughts, and if you could mention where you live that'd be helpful too. Congrats to all those recently accepted! Thanks, Doug

Hello, I interviewed here on 4/20 and I am really excited about this school. They said we would know whether we were waitlisted, accepted or rejected within about 1.5-2 weeks. I'm just wondering if anyone with an interview around that date has heard anything back. To the people who were asking if there were still seats in the case, we were told that there were still around 10-15 seats left. Thanks!

Gave up my spot on Friday. Hope one of you waiting for good news gets it. Good luck! :)

patiently waiting to get called off the waitlist trying to stay positive

Reactions: 5 users
Still waiting for that "heavy waitlist movement" that was supposed to happen at the end of April? Me too. :scared:
they're still interviewing right now. be patient. there are some deadlines coming up soon for MD commitments and the new cycle will be starting so it will be moving soon.

Last edited:
Still waiting for that "heavy waitlist movement" that was supposed to happen at the end of April? Me too. :scared:

the movement they told us about during the interview starts around the beginning of may but really hits may 15th, since that is the deadline to make a choice of schools. The 15th is when people have to pay their seat deposits in full if they were accepted early, or give up their seats.

Good luck to those who are still waiting for seats! If you get in I will see you in July!

How is everyone else on the wait list coping with the stress? It's driving me a bit mad to be honest.

Also, any news of new acceptances or movement? It's been a while since this thread has seen action.

How is everyone else on the wait list coping with the stress? It's driving me a bit mad to be honest.

Also, any news of new acceptances or movement? It's been a while since this thread has seen action.

I'd like to think I'm at a happy medium somewhere between Pierce Brosnan as James Bond leaning on
a Z8 in an oil field and....

Pierce-Brosnan-and-the-BMW-Z8-The-World-is-Not-Enough-Promo-james-bond-32669337-2099-1548.jpg

Mugatu...
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I found out earlier this week from admissions that the wait list hasn't seen much movement as compared with previous years. I'm just hoping this isn't true after the May 15th deadline. So now the chances of being accepted are seeming to be lower...The wait is getting to me! Lol ugh

Question for those of you living on campus...I'm sure you're all extra-busy with the end of the semester approaching, but if anyone in a Sanders floor plan has a few minutes to measure a couple of wall spaces, I'd greatly appreciate it...preparing to move next month and I'm trying to figure out what furniture to take with me. :) Feel free to PM me if you're available. Thanks, Doug

Gave up my spot a few weeks ago but it took awhile for that to be confirmed. I really wish everyone on the waitlist good luck!

I have just been informed that there are supposed to be official updates about waitlist movement some time this week. Stay positive, fellow waitlisters!

Reactions: 5 users
I have just been informed that there are supposed to be official updates about waitlist movement some time this week. Stay positive, fellow waitlisters!

Any mention of how full the class is?

Saw this on another thread, but I figured it was relevant. The link is for 2016 guidelines, but I have a copy of the 2015 guidelines and it is exactly the same.

You all know about the May 15 drop deadline?

"After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.
Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions.

An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate.

Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn."

- http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=2

So hopefully starting this past Friday, those with multiple acceptances started dropping and we'll see more movement this week. Maybe not though. The stubborn ones have another couple weeks.

The other part of this to be aware of is that if you're offered a seat now that we're past May 15, you may be required to give an immediate response and deposit.

Eh. Reading that, it seems like by May 30th there will be motion for the wait list folks. Good luck to all those of you who are not yet accepted.

Any mention of how full the class is?
Sorry, I didn't get that information! I just got that response when I sent an update e-mail about my application. If anyone else knows something, please share :)

Hello all, I was just placing my order for the required equipment/instrument package and was wondering if I should purchase a bag for everything (the same website has some nice ones for ~$40); before I get one I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if a bag is included with that order and/or provided by ACOM...I don't think ACOM does, but another school I interviewed at mentioned they gave one as part of their welcome package, so thought I'd double-check here before dropping $40. Good luck to all on the waitlist! Doug

Hello all, I was just placing my order for the required equipment/instrument package and was wondering if I should purchase a bag for everything (the same website has some nice ones for ~$40); before I get one I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if a bag is included with that order and/or provided by ACOM...I don't think ACOM does, but another school I interviewed at mentioned they gave one as part of their welcome package, so thought I'd double-check here before dropping $40. Good luck to all on the waitlist! Doug
You are not given a bag and you don't necessarily need one.

Linda Goodson is Director of Admissions, and also an RN, so I bet she could answer anything shot-related. I've also found Robert (Bob) Willis and Travis Cobb to be extremely helpful with my general questions about the process. Hope this helps.