Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news on any wait list movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news on any wait list movement?
upload_2015-5-26_20-21-48.png

Reactions: 1 users
This wait.... I wish I could just walk in their admissions meeting right now and just ask them, "where do we stand! relationship wise?!"

+pity+:unsure:

This wait.... I wish I could just walk in their admissions meeting right now and just ask them, "where do we stand! relationship wise?!"

+pity+:unsure:

Do that and I can guarantee you what their answer will be...

Is anyone else peeved about the fact that you may spend tons of money on reapplication fees, and then find out you made it off the waitlist?

Of course I'd be ecstatic, but oh so very angry at all of the free money you just sent to universities.

Has anyone who interviewed on the 15 heard anything yet? Anxiously waiting so I can decide what I need to do next!

Has anyone who interviewed on the 15 heard anything yet? Anxiously waiting so I can decide what I need to do next!

Out of curiosity, how large was your interview group and did they mention how many more dates/when they were going to be done doing interviews? Did you happen to notice when the last date available to sign up for an interview date was when you were scheduling your interview?

So I just created an account because I have been obsessively checking student doctor all day everyday for any news. I thought I owed it to everyone because I know that I would want to know if there had been any movement I just received a call from the dean offering me a spot in their class. So everyone should just keep patient and hopefully it will happen for everyone here as well! I interviewed May 8th. I hope this helps give some hope.

Reactions: 5 users
So I just created an account because I have been obsessively checking student doctor all day everyday for any news. I thought I owed it to everyone because I know that I would want to know if there had been any movement I just received a call from the dean offering me a spot in their class. So everyone should just keep patient and hopefully it will happen for everyone here as well! I interviewed May 8th. I hope this helps give some hope.
Congrats!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!! Definitely gives some hope that they are just about done with evaluating new interviewees and can work on sorting through who has and has not paid their deposits, and bring us the big WL movement we have all been anticipating!!

Out of curiosity, how large was your interview group and did they mention how many more dates/when they were going to be done doing interviews? Did you happen to notice when the last date available to sign up for an interview date was when you were scheduling your interview?

I actually interviewed on the last day... May 15. My group was probably 15 or so. I hadn't had a chance to get back on since I posted but I got a call yesterday that I was offered a spot! During the interview they didn't specify how many spots they had open, but there where some seats available. Good luck to everyone! Don't give up, I promise if you have determination to stick with it then it will workout!

Reactions: 4 users
I actually interviewed on the last day... May 15. My group was probably 15 or so. I hadn't had a chance to get back on since I posted but I got a call yesterday that I was offered a spot! During the interview they didn't specify how many spots they had open, but there where some seats available. Good luck to everyone! Don't give up, I promise if you have determination to stick with it then it will workout!

Congrats!!! I'm definitely not giving up too easily, I have plenty left in the tank. Hopefully there are enough spots for all of us here waiting to get the much anticipated phone call!!

Reactions: 1 user
I was interviewed on May 15th and received an offer on Friday the 29th. I remember them saying during the previous two cycles 30-35 were accepted from the wait list. The deadline to pay my deposit is June the 5th. I assume that is the last day for everyone currently holding an offer per AACOMAS guidelines so the wait list should move from then all the way through orientation, if not already.

Reactions: 3 users
I was interviewed on May 15th and received an offer on Friday the 29th. I remember them saying during the previous two cycles 30-35 were accepted from the wait list. The deadline to pay my deposit is June the 5th. I assume that is the last day for everyone currently holding an offer per AACOMAS guidelines so the wait list should move from then all the way through orientation, if not already.

Congrats!! I feel like it's a never ending story about when we should begin to see movement haha nonetheless congratulations! Do you see yourself taking the full week to decide or is ACOM the place for you?

Thank You, I will be attending ACOM. I did not intend to sound ambiguous. Like DOBound19 said I have checked these boards compulsively and I wanted to share what I know now that I actually know something.

Thank You, I will be attending ACOM. I did not intend to sound ambiguous. Like DOBound19 said I have checked these boards compulsively and I wanted to share what I know now that I actually know something.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing ur stats (PM if you would like)

I called today to see if I could get any official updates about the waitlist, but no answer once I got to the correct extension. :( I will try again tomorrow!

I called today to see if I could get any official updates about the waitlist, but no answer once I got to the correct extension. :( I will try again tomorrow!

Maybe everyone was in a meeting?

Maybe everyone was in a meeting?
A meeting about the waitlist?! :love: I'm trying not to be too hopeful, but I just can't help myself. It's much better than feeling discouraged :)

A meeting about the waitlist?! :love: I'm trying not to be too hopeful, but I just can't help myself. It's much better than feeling discouraged :)

Hope is the only thing we have left...

ive called up there several times in the afternoon, never seem to get an answer. I think mornings are our best bet

Classes finished last week so maybe they are taking a small break?

I just got an acceptance call from Dr. Reynolds! I think waitlist movement has officially begun! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got an acceptance call from Dr. Reynolds! I think waitlist movement has officially begun! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!!!! Finally some movement!!! on SDN at least... likelihood of attending if I may ask?

I woke up to a broken refrigerator and dead car battery today so some good news would really turn this day around!!

Congrats!!!! Finally some movement!!! on SDN at least... likelihood of attending if I may ask?

I woke up to a broken refrigerator and dead car battery today so some good news would really turn this day around!!
That's terrible! I am not sure. I just got an acceptance call 2 days ago from another school. I need to take a couple days to decide where I want to go. At this point you only have a week to decide for ACOM, so the good part of this is it should be a quick turnaround in terms of waitlist movement.

That's terrible! I am not sure. I just got an acceptance call 2 days ago from another school. I need to take a couple days to decide where I want to go. At this point you only have a week to decide for ACOM, so the good part of this is it should be a quick turnaround in terms of waitlist movement.

Woah, thats awesome! What a way to start the weekend!! Hopefully the turn around will be quick!

Did your portal status happen to change as well or just a call/e-mail notification?

Woah, thats awesome! What a way to start the weekend!! Hopefully the turn around will be quick!

Did your portal status happen to change as well or just a call/e-mail notification?
I haven't checked my portal status yet. Already got an email confirmation after the phone call.

I haven't checked my portal status yet. Already got an email confirmation after the phone call.
same. I haven't even checked my portal since being wait listed. I already have received the email though. If anyone is looking for roommates though, let me know!

I should probably start a new thread for this but hoping someone here can help me.
So I was recently accepted to ACOM, dream come true and very excited. However I have some extenuating circumstances and need some advice. I have three boys under 6 and my husband had an accident and almost lost his hand. He was out of work until recently and I have been the sole provider, which made it difficult to save money. I was accepted May 29 and would have to move our family from Texas to Alabama by the end of July. This puts such a financial burden on my family and so much extra stress to add to starting class. I am afraid I won't be starting medical in the right state of mind to be as successful as I could be if I had another year. I want to ask to defer but it was past the 60 day requirement when I was accepted, but I’ve always been the "it never hurts to ask" type and if they say no then the plan is the same, but if they say yes I have an entire year to prepare and save and will be in a better place financially and emotionally. Anyway... if there are any ACOM students who can speak to this or give me some advice it would be so appreciate it! Also wondering if anyone thinks asking would cause them to be like "never mind! JK!" and take away my acceptance? I doubt this because I believe the school really cares for their students and would appreciate my honest concerns, but still a slight concern.Also... since I may have to move quickly, if anyone can advise on places to live, elementary schools, or anything I need to know I would appreciate this information as well!!! Thank you!

I am not a current student I also start in the fall. But there is no way they pull your acceptance just because you call in order to help them get an understanding of your situation. I have several friends who deferred their acceptances to other in state schools like USA and UAB. One of them for example deferred south Alabama for 2 years to do teach for America and it was no problem. Anyway the point is it definitely doesn't hurt to ask. They want you to do well after all.

I should probably start a new thread for this but hoping someone here can help me.
So I was recently accepted to ACOM, dream come true and very excited. However I have some extenuating circumstances and need some advice. I have three boys under 6 and my husband had an accident and almost lost his hand. He was out of work until recently and I have been the sole provider, which made it difficult to save money. I was accepted May 29 and would have to move our family from Texas to Alabama by the end of July. This puts such a financial burden on my family and so much extra stress to add to starting class. I am afraid I won't be starting medical in the right state of mind to be as successful as I could be if I had another year. I want to ask to defer but it was past the 60 day requirement when I was accepted, but I’ve always been the "it never hurts to ask" type and if they say no then the plan is the same, but if they say yes I have an entire year to prepare and save and will be in a better place financially and emotionally. Anyway... if there are any ACOM students who can speak to this or give me some advice it would be so appreciate it! Also wondering if anyone thinks asking would cause them to be like "never mind! JK!" and take away my acceptance? I doubt this because I believe the school really cares for their students and would appreciate my honest concerns, but still a slight concern.Also... since I may have to move quickly, if anyone can advise on places to live, elementary schools, or anything I need to know I would appreciate this information as well!!! Thank you!
I'm starting in the fall as well. I have heard of someone deferring at WCU, so it does happen. I agree you should ask. I feel like you have a good shot at deferral. Your circumstances are extenuating, so I would call. Good luck!

I cannot speak for what the school will do specifically but I can comment on the character and wisdom of the Dean of Students. Your situation is not something you planned out and the school will recognize that. Just call them and explain what is going on. If nothing else you show great wisdom in recognizing you would not be able to fully commit yourself to your education with that hanging over your head. You don't want to get $40,000 more in the hole because you weren't able to focus. As for information if you decide to go ahead and move, there is a class of 2019 FB group that you can join. Many of the class of '18 are on there to answer questions, allay fears, and give guidance.
Good luck.

I cannot speak for what the school will do specifically but I can comment on the character and wisdom of the Dean of Students. Your situation is not something you planned out and the school will recognize that. Just call them and explain what is going on. If nothing else you show great wisdom in recognizing you would not be able to fully commit yourself to your education with that hanging over your head. You don't want to get $40,000 more in the hole because you weren't able to focus. As for information if you decide to go ahead and move, there is a class of 2019 FB group that you can join. Many of the class of '18 are on there to answer questions, allay fears, and give guidance.
Good luck.
I actually found on the website yesterday it states it is possible to defer.
For the fb group--do you have to be invited? I just paid my deposit yesterday, so idk how that goes. Thanks!

Just request it and someone will accept you.

I have a little girl who will be starting kindergarten and I have researched all the Dothan schools, there's a lot of smaller private schools in the area, most have pretty bad ratings on various tracking websites, but the two outstanding schools that received high marks are Highland Elementary and Hidden Lakes, both offer the same after school daycare program (till 5:30pm, $25/week), which is run by certified teachers, though Highland says theirs fills up quickly (Hidden lakes says they always have room). Each of those schools is having an open house in July at which time you can sign up for the after-care program, but the last time I called (a couple weeks ago maybe) neither had yet set a date for that. Hidden Lakes also has valuable bonus points for being practically next door to ACOM (that's where I'm putting my little offspring). You should know that Dothan public schools have a dress code, I forget the specifics, but it's essentially neutral colors, polo-type collared shirts and khaki pants/skirts (essentially no tee-shirts with images, if memory serves). Also, you'll need to go to the local health department and show proof of immunizations to receive what's called a "blue card", the state-issued card used for verifying vaccines received, which is the only proof they'll accept for enrollment purposes.

On a different note, I'm so sorry about your recent hardships, since my only experience with ACOM's administration has been with the interviews and financial aid, etc., I can't be sure, but everyone I've met and interacted with had a real and genuine concern for the success and well-being of the students, they saw you as worthy enough to admit you, which means they have high hopes and expectations, I can't imagine they'd suddenly hinder your efforts towards success by being so unreasonable as to not accommodate a true hardship...that's just my impression though, there may be rules in place that dictate what's allowed in fairness to all students and applicants--call the Dean's office to find out. Before you do though, I'd definitely talk to Travis Cobb in Financial Aid, the graduate student loans available offer a living stipend that was far more generous than I expected, I'm a single parent, there's no way I could start medical school and raise her without that extra support, which was about $2100/month, and he was immensely helpful and friendly, so talk to him and know your numbers before you talk to the Dean's Office. Incidentally, I wrote in my application essays about my struggles as a single dad, and discussed it at length during the interview, and everyone seemed really supportive for those of us with families and children, I don't think medical schools are as heartless about the realities of managing a family as they used to be, and ACOM is definitely the most supportive environment of all the schools I interviewed at, so I'd ask for whatever help you need, be it financial or deferment, and would be really shocked if they didn't accommodate your situation somehow.

Hope this helps and best of luck, Douglas

For those who are recently accepted and have some questions.

Here is the link to the ACOM 2019 fb page, there has been good discussions from both accepted students and 2017 & 2018ers!

There's also a fb link to the spouses fb group for help in schools, pediatricians, etc

Link is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ACOM2019

Again Congrats and can't wait to see you guys in July!

Another round of WL phone calls tomorrow? or would that be too hopeful of a thought?

Anyone think its a waste to bring old textbooks? Debating on if my undergrad books are a joke...

You get all the textbooks you need. I doubt we will need undergrad books to reference

Orientation/the first week of class
Thank you.
I am assuming that right before the school starts or even during the orientation they will accept people who live closer so that they could move faster?

Orientation/the first week of class

Thank you.
I am assuming that right before the school starts or even during the orientation they will accept people who live closer so that they could move faster?

As per WL movement, that is the case with many other COMs. I don't know about ACOM, but they probably do the same thing. Good luck!

Does anyone know when is the last day to be taken off the wait list?

I can think of ~5 people in the 2017 class that were accepted in the last 2 weeks before schools started, 1 during orientation week. I believe one of the people accepted late lived pretty close, but the others were out of state.

Anyone think its a waste to bring old textbooks? Debating on if my undergrad books are a joke...

I wouldn't bring any textbooks. We covered 2 semester's of undergrad biochem in ~6 weeks, there is no way you will have time to learn that much detail. I think it might be smart to sell them right before school starts (when they are worth the most) so that you can buy a copy of FirstAid & BRS books. Medical school is a never ending money pit, try to find ways to feed the monster any way that you can.

Just thinking...

If we get a phone call about being accepted from the wait list at the last minute, e.g. during orientation, how are we going to be able to find housing so quickly? If we are relying on financial aid for said housing, how does that work? How does ACOM work with students who are accepted so close to the first day of class?

If anyone can answer my questions/concerns on here, great! If not, I will find some answers another way and share them with my fellow waitlisters.