Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While Atlanta would be the furthest drive in comparison to Tallahassee and Montgomery. Students typically saved more money by flying to Atlanta and driving the extra hour to get to Dothan. Plus you have more options of airlines and flight times flying into Atlanta in comparison to Montgomery or Tallahassee. Also, do not forget about Birmingham, they have a large airport but they are about 4 hours away.

I used google.com/flights and with that website you can compare prices of flights into Atlanta, Dothan, Tallahassee, Montgomery all at the same time to get the best deal.

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone interviewing 9/26, I'll be flying into ATL arriving around 6 and renting a car. Anybody else headed Atlanta that day as well?

Interview October 24th. See whoever else is scheduled that day then! In state app. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, remember Dothan is in the Central Time Zone. This should actually benefit you coming to the interview but might leave you crunched for time if you are trying to catch a flight out of Atlanta. If you are traveling for multiple interviews, highly recommend the TSA PreCheck program.
Really glad I saw this. I left more than enough time to get from Dothan to Atlanta flight (9pm-ish), but I think I assumed they were both Eastern.
Thanks for the heads up!
Also, you mentioned you're in Fort Rucker. Care to give your impression of Dothan?

My opinion might be biased coming from the Army side. My best duty station was at Fort Sam Houston, TX, since you are right there in San Antonio. However, compared to Fort Drum or Fort Irwin, I actually enjoy Fort Rucker and the cities of Enterprise and Dothan. We are usually in Dothan on the weekends, particularly for our shopping excursions (e.g., Sams Club!). I can't comment on the nightlife but there are usually some pretty good activities to be found. Perhaps the best part is being about 90 mins from the beach. If we aren't in Dothan on the weekends, we are down in Panama City or Destin.
Gotcha. I'm actually in Austin, and we would have loved to be in San Antonio too. C'est la medical school application process.
I have zero interest in the night life, not sure my wife and 3 yr old would approve. The beach is very appealing, and looks like lots of easy day trips to some neat looking cities for the weekends. I'm also considering applying HPSP (Army), and having Fort Rucker near may be really convenient, though not sure if that site would be where I would do summer trainings.
Thanks for the feedback and hope your cycle is going well!

If you did pick up HPSP, you can do one of your ADT here at Fort Rucker. I have medical students come through the Flight Surgeon Course (6 weeks) all the time and that counts as their ADT. My wife is also active duty so it makes it simpler to already have a home that's an easy commute to school. If you need anything while you're in town, feel free to PM me.
That's good to know. We're really hoping that my wife will be able to find similar employment to what she's in now (district/regional/state education admin), and would be good to be able to remain in the area through the year(s).
I'll be coming through for my interview on 10/9, and heading out right after interview/orientation back for Atlanta on afternoon of 10/10. I'll touch base as time line gets closer. Thanks!

I meant more like how am I supposed to get here from where I am. Everything 10/3 is legit 700-900 bucks.

I think I found the best option: Fly into Montgomery and rent a car for a day.
That is exactly what I did

Hey everybody, OMS I here. Congratulations to those of you that have received II's. If you are still finalizing travel plans I would highly recommend flying into Atlanta. Its almost (if not more than) half the price of flying into Dothan and still much cheaper than most other nearby airports. Also if you do fly into one of the nearby airports you will probably have a layover in Atlanta anyways. Its about 3 1/2 hours drive time. Atlanta's airport is on the edge of the city and the highway that you take to get out of there goes right by the airport so traffic getting out shouldn't be bad if you fly in before rush hour. If you looking for a place to stay they just opened a Comfort Inn that is right down the road from ACOM. It literally opened like a week ago so the rooms should be really clean. Its on the 84 and Ross Clark Circle. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everybody, OMS I here. Congratulations to those of you that have received II's. If you are still finalizing travel plans I would highly recommend flying into Atlanta. Its almost (if not more than) half the price of flying into Dothan and still much cheaper than most other nearby airports. Also if you do fly into one of the nearby airports you will probably have a layover in Atlanta anyways. Its about 3 1/2 hours drive time. Atlanta's airport is on the edge of the city and the highway that you take to get out of there goes right by the airport so traffic getting out shouldn't be bad if you fly in before rush hour. If you looking for a place to stay they just opened a Comfort Inn that is right down the road from ACOM. It literally opened like a week ago so the rooms should be really clean. Its on the 84 and Ross Clark Circle. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck everybody!

Nice, that's the hotel I'm staying at! Any recommendations for a good place to eat dinner?

Nice, that's the hotel I'm staying at! Any recommendations for a good place to eat dinner?
Unfortunately there is not much on that side of the circle to eat other than fast food. If you dont mind driving to the other side there is the BBQ Shack which is a fairly popular place to eat for people interviewing here.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend calling the school to find out, but if you can not get a hold of them always go with the earlier time slot. Just think its better to wait thirty minutes than to be thirty minutes late!

I'll be there by 8:00 A.M. It's better to be early than late.

Interview scheduled for 10/10

So-Cal resident :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody found info on how many are interviewed and subsequently accepted?

That's good to know. We're really hoping that my wife will be able to find similar employment to what she's in now (district/regional/state education admin), and would be good to be able to remain in the area through the year(s).
I'll be coming through for my interview on 10/9, and heading out right after interview/orientation back for Atlanta on afternoon of 10/10. I'll touch base as time line gets closer. Thanks!
I'll let ya know how the Atlanta commute works out. Gonna cross that bridge on the 26th.

Has anybody found info on how many are interviewed and subsequently accepted?
I'll be able to get accurate numbers next Friday, but from what has been said on SDN, it seems that around 400-450 are interviewed and they accept somewhere between 50-60% of those interviewees. It is probably safe to assume that they accept around 220-250 people to fill their 165 person class. I heard on a previous thread that they accepted 2.5X their class size for 2013, but I feel that 412 people accepted is preposterous for their class size.

I'll be able to get accurate numbers next Friday, but from what has been said on SDN, it seems that around 400-450 are interviewed and they accept somewhere between 50-60% of those interviewees. It is probably safe to assume that they accept around 220-250 people to fill their 165 person class. I heard on a previous thread that they accepted 2.5X their class size for 2013, but I feel that 412 people accepted is preposterous for their class size.

They did accept about 2.5x from what I was told when I interviewed there. They accepted that many for 2013 because being a new school, they were warned by other 'newer' schools that roughly half of their students would drop in the summer... and that's exactly what happened. They took like ~80 kids from the wait list, and even took a person off of the wait list a day or so before orientation.

They did accept about 2.5x from what I was told when I interviewed there. They accepted that many for 2013 because being a new school, they were warned by other 'newer' schools that roughly half of their students would drop in the summer... and that's exactly what happened. They took like ~80 kids from the wait list, and even took a person off of the wait list a day or so before orientation.
Wow that's crazy. Are they still doing that or is it a lot less than 2013?

Wow that's crazy. Are they still doing that or is it a lot less than 2013?

As far as I can tell from last year, less students dropped. After this year the number of people dropping will decline dramatically because they will have their first set board scores. So I would venture to guess that this year there will still be an above average number of acceptances and drops, but less than the previous two years.

I'll let ya know how the Atlanta commute works out. Gonna cross that bridge on the 26th.
Great! I'm looking forward to the drive actually. Never been to Georgia (except layover at ATL), and don't think I've ever been through Alabama either. Enjoy!

Greyhounding it from Tally 40 bucks round trip. lol Ballin' on a budget...

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else have trouble with the portal? First it says it's not safe but when I proceed it takes me to a page saying the site might be moved. This is the website I am using https://portal.acomedu.org

To anyone interviewing on 9/5, NiAnWa and I are going to meet up for dinner at the BBQ Shack in Dothan on the night before, the 4th, at 7:30 pm. Anyone else interviewing the next day is more than welcome to join. Hope to see some of you there!

Most expensive flight!

10/3 interview :soexcited:

Anyone have suggestions on what my friend and I could do Friday after the interview and all day Saturday? My flight isn't until Sunday morning because I wanted to explore Alabama while I'm out there. Flying out of Birmingham but I've rented a car.

Just an FYI I'm from California and have never been to this area of the US.

Thanks in advanced

You could go down to Panama City Beach (90 mins) or Pensacola (about 2 hours). Or head up to Montgomery to catch a Biscuits game. When is your interview? There is a car show on Saturday, 4 OCT if you are in Dothan.

Anyone have suggestions on what my friend and I could do Friday after the interview and all day Saturday? My flight isn't until Sunday morning because I wanted to explore Alabama while I'm out there. Flying out of Birmingham but I've rented a car.

Just an FYI I'm from California and have never been to this area of the US.

Thanks in advanced
If you're interested in civil rights history, Montgomery and Birmingham are full of places to visit. I'm happy to give you some tips if you're interested.

If you're interested in civil rights history, Montgomery and Birmingham are full of places to visit. I'm happy to give you some tips if you're interested.
This is actually one of the more appealing aspects of attending school in the deep south. For me, anyway.

To anyone interviewing on 9/5, NiAnWa and I are going to meet up for dinner at the BBQ Shack in Dothan on the night before, the 4th, at 7:30 pm. Anyone else interviewing the next day is more than welcome to join. Hope to see some of you there!

I'll be driving down tomorrow after work from Atlanta. If I can get there in time I'd love to meet some of you fellow applicants before Friday!

Driving up tomorrow, so excited!

II just now, for real this time! Woohoohoo. Now to contact IT. Fingers crossed for round 2.

II just now, for real this time! Woohoohoo. Now to contact IT. Fingers crossed for round 2.

Same here II recently. No login credentials yet. Just contacted the IT support and now waiting for my credentials. Thanks ACOM !

Same here II recently. No login credentials yet. Just contacted the IT support and now waiting for my credentials. Thanks ACOM !
Lol never mind, just received my login credentials immediately ... Very fast response !

Registered for 11/14, 11/7 was first date available but I have four exams that week. Goodluck everyone

Registered for 11/14, 11/7 was first date available but I have four exams that week. Goodluck everyone
I scheduled for 11/07. Does anyone know about renting car or motel prices? any information is very much appreciated !

I scheduled for 11/07. Does anyone know about renting car or motel prices? any information is very much appreciated !
I'm interviewing on 10/10. I got a flight into Atlanta, and car rental from there for about a day and a half wasn't too bad, right at $100. I just went through Priceline.
I'm going to book hotel this week, but someone earlier in the post mentioned a new Quality Inn (double check that name), and their prices are closer to $60, than the others are to $80-90. Dothan doesn't seem that big, so a hotel 'on the other side of town' doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.
Can anyone local to the area confirm this?

I'm interviewing on 10/10. I got a flight into Atlanta, and car rental from there for about a day and a half wasn't too bad, right at $100. I just went through Priceline.
I'm going to book hotel this week, but someone earlier in the post mentioned a new Quality Inn (double check that name), and their prices are closer to $60, than the others are to $80-90. Dothan doesn't seem that big, so a hotel 'on the other side of town' doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.
Can anyone local to the area confirm
this?
I called the La Quinta and made a reservation and mentioned an ACOM interview. Rate was $68 a night. Also got a car rental out of ATL for 2 days for $70 with a USAA discount code (account is free to join, highly reccomend!)

I called the La Quinta and made a reservation and mentioned an ACOM interview. Rate was $68 a night. Also got a car rental out of ATL for 2 days for $70 with a USAA discount code (account is free to join, highly reccomend!)
Thanks for the heads up on La Quinta, I'll have to look there. Too late for this trip to do the USAA. May need to do that if I get an interview at LMU-DCOM though. My other potentials are in pretty big cities.
When is your interview?

Thanks for the heads up on La Quinta, I'll have to look there. Too late for this trip to do the USAA. May need to do that if I get an interview at LMU-DCOM though. My other potentials are in pretty big cities.
When is your interview?
I'll be there on the 26th

Question: I cannot remember my credentials. They said they issued it to us. I don't have it in any of my emails. Anybody know where I can find it??

Question: I cannot remember my credentials. They said they issued it to us. I don't have it in any of my emails. Anybody know where I can find it??
Email support. They didn't issue mine either.

You and me will be there the same day then. My wife couldn't get my original 10/10 off, so I postponed a month.

Can anyone local to the area confirm this?

It is a comfort suites. Brand new maybe a minute and a half from the campus. Not sure of the rates but I am sure if you mention ACOM they will probably give a discount. You are also correct about the town, even if you get a hotel on the west side you will have about a 10-15 minute drive to get to campus. Honestly just go for whoever gives you the best rate.

Secondary completed on Friday and got the ii today!

Scheduled for 11/14!

First II today and scheduled for 10/3! WI resident

If it helps anyone in the future, my log in credentials were in my spam folder under the sender "postmaster".

for those coming into town and looking for a hotel, Dothan is small. from one side to the other is only about 15 minutes so you can pretty much stay anywhere. i stayed at the motel 6 when i came down because the room rate was only $39. it wasn't the nicest hotel but it was a cheap bed to stay the night in. hopefully we'll get to meet some of you this friday.