Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First II today and scheduled for 10/3! WI resident

If it helps anyone in the future, my log in credentials were in my spam folder under the sender "postmaster".
What? How did you schedule for 10/03 since you received II today? I remember all spots in september and october are filled, and the earliest date at the time I scheduled was 11/07. Maybe someone changed his/her date and you just got lucky to schedule an earlier interview. Anws, congrats and good luck !

Members don't see this ad.

Wow the interview spots are filling up quickly! I signed up for 11/21! Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Yay! I've got an interview on November 21!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II and want to schedule, I found my password in my spam but not my user name, can someone tell me if the user name is something like first name, aacomas id, ssn or something like that?

Mine was last name then first letter of my first and middle name.

What's the cheapest way to get there? direct flight to Dothan is >$700 plus the cost of hotels...it will be one expensive trip...any advices are appreciated

Look into flying into Atlanta (ATL), Montgomery (MGM), or Pensacola (PNS). You'll have to rent a car and drive to Dothan but it should save you some $.

Just got into Dothan and the rain has followed me from FL! Excited for tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Gonna be at the Bar BQ Shack at 7 since they close at 8 if anyone else wants to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grats to all accepted. Best way (cheapest) to get here is to fly into Montgomery, ( 2 hrs away) Tallahassee, (2) Atlanta (3) or Mobile.(3)
I went though Mobile last year, Atlanta probably has the most options, but Dothan airport is usually too expensive from most places.

Anywhere around the ring of the circle is good to stay, you'll be no more than 30 mins from the college on the far (West) side and 15ish coming from the South side.
Sorry, no good food options. :/ Best bet is BBQ places or Mexican restaurants, those have been decent.

I'm interviewing on the 12th. Is anyone else interviewing that day interested in grabbing some food and/or hanging out Thursday? We could use it as distraction therapy or something.

I'm interviewing on September 12 and definitely could use the distraction on Thursday :) Let me know if you're still interested in getting food because I really want to visit that BBQ Shack in Dothan that people were referring to earlier.

You could go down to Panama City Beach (90 mins) or Pensacola (about 2 hours). Or head up to Montgomery to catch a Biscuits game. When is your interview? There is a car show on Saturday, 4 OCT if you are in Dothan.
Thanks for the ideas. Its 10/3

full moon BBQ is better than BBQ shack.

Hi!

I'm a fellow first year here at ACOM and just saw some interviewees today.

Just thought I'd come in here and offer any help for those who have questions. I might be better reached through PM since I get an email notification as I don't check this thread a lot due to upcoming exams but will try to check in as much as I can.

Good luck to all! :)

Just canceled my interview for 9/19, hopefully someone can go scoop up that spot if they are interested in interviewing earlier!!

Just canceled my interview for 9/19, hopefully someone can go scoop up that spot if they are interested in interviewing earlier!!
Thanks for letting us know! Just picked up the spot!

Reactions: 1 users
That also means my 11/14 spot is up for grabs, as well.

Interested to hear how today's interviews went...

Interviewed here today! The whole interview day was very enjoyable overall. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, tour of the facilities was impressive. My interview was very relaxed and I felt it was very easy to be myself and speak conversationally. I mainly got asked about my clinical experiences, few ethical questions, hobbies, etc. normal interview stuff. The students are also very friendly and seem happy overall about the school. The ones I talked to had nothing bad to say at all (they only have 1st and 2nd year students so far). PM for more

Reactions: 4 users
Currently signed up for a 11/21 interview, if anyone is planning on canceling something sooner than that shoot me a pm ;)

Interviewed here today! The whole interview day was very enjoyable overall. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, tour of the facilities was impressive. My interview was very relaxed and I felt it was very easy to be myself and speak conversationally. I mainly got asked about my clinical experiences, few ethical questions, hobbies, etc. normal interview stuff. The students are also very friendly and seem happy overall about the school. The ones I talked to had nothing bad to say at all (they only have 1st and 2nd year students so far). PM for more

Interviewed as well yesterday and I agree! My interview was pretty similar, I had a couple basic questions like "Why medicine? Why DO? Tell us a little about yourself. What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?" They asked about every work experience and extracurricular on my application, as well as a couple classes I got a C in. You get to ask them questions at the end as well. I also got an ethical question. It was very relaxed and my nerves were calmed within the first minute or so, they really do let you be yourself. Most of us interviewed with a DO and a PhD, some of us got a PhD and Linda Goodson herself. The faculty was amazing, the school looks like an awesome place. They're really committed to making sure their students succeed. Also, I thought we had a great interview group!

Are the interviews coming in via email?
Anyone know how to access the portal? Chrome and safari keep saying it is not safe and I cannot proceed to the login.

Are the interviews coming in via email?
Anyone know how to access the portal? Chrome and safari keep saying it is not safe and I cannot proceed to the login.
Email, but then you have to log in to portal to sign up. Take down your firewall on Safari and it'll let you log in. I had to turn off all security for a few while I logged in.

Received my first II a few days ago. Scheduled mine for 12/5 for now, until there's an open slot in November.

Interviewed here on Friday, finally arrived back home not long ago. Excellent interview, which was shockingly laid back and quite enjoyable. There were some questions that were formatted differently, but it was essentially tell me about yourself, why DO, and why ACOM. Most of the questioning after was very conversational about my extracurriculars and research. Absolute no mention of my academic background, which I really liked. The facilities are top notch and it is in a fairly beautiful part of the country, which to my understanding is growing and has grown quite a lot recently. ACOM has definitely left a lasting impression on me, along with all the faculty. Their mission essentially is to be the best medical school in the nation and although they are still a young school, they most definitely have the leadership to get to the top.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a 1st year here at ACOM as well, hopefully I can answer any questions you may have. So feel free to PM me, or maybe I'll even remember to check this thread once in a while. :)

Interviewed here Friday Sept 5. Fell in love with the school. Let me know if anybody has any questions :)

For those who received interview, would you guys mind sharing your stats? What are their secondary questions ? any character limits ? I am still waiting for their II to come. Thanks

Last edited:
For those interviewing with me this Friday, how are you feeling and what things are you doing to prepare for the interview?

For those who received interview, would you guys mind sharing your stats? What are their secondary questions ? any character limits ? I am still waiting for their II to come. Thanks
Pretty sure I posted my stats here, but I applied with cGPA 3.14, sGPA 3.39, 32 MCAT. My secondaries were both around 500-550 words (1500 +/-characters). I submitted my secondary 8/21, got a complete email the morning of 8/22, followed up by an interview invite that afternoon. I mostly attribute the quick turnaround to being pretty early in the cycle.

I was not going to apply this year and further develop my app, but a friend of mine told me I should with my stats. 3.96c, 3.96s, 27 MCAT. I called the admissions office, and they said to apply. But I see that they are giving out November interviews. Should I wait until next year? Or should I go ahead and apply?

I was not going to apply this year and further develop my app, but a friend of mine told me I should with my stats. 3.96c, 3.96s, 27 MCAT. I called the admissions office, and they said to apply. But I see that they are giving out November interviews. Should I wait until next year? Or should I go ahead and apply?
Guess it depends, but by numbers alone, you've got a really good chance at many schools. Are you specifically interested in osteopathic schools? Are you specifically interested in ACOM? What does the rest of your application look like?

As in AH-64? Or an armored vehicle? I got out just under 2 years ago, so I am getting behind the times.
Both actually. I'm a TX resident but love Alabama. I am currently an ER scribe. I have leadership through being a fraternity president. 300 shadowing hours, not DO but work with DOs in ER scribing. Some volunteering, not much though. Desire to do rural primary care.

Guess it depends, but by numbers alone, you've got a really good chance at many schools. Are you specifically interested in osteopathic schools? Are you specifically interested in ACOM? What does the rest of your application look like?
Both actually. I'm a TX resident but love Alabama. I am currently an ER scribe. I have leadership through being a fraternity president. 300 shadowing hours, not DO but work with DOs in ER scribing. Some volunteering, not much though. Desire to do rural primary care.

I'm a TX resident, with stats listed above. I got an interview with ACOM very quickly after submitting. I would guess that you'd have a really good shot. Don't wait too long in deciding, though.
If you need some motivation/excitement before answering their essays, just look through info on the SAMC, where it looks like a lot of the rotations will be. Would be a tough place to beat if you're interested in practicing rural primary care in one of the gulf states. Would probably help if you have some experiences that show your dedication to working with underserved communities.

I am also a Texas resident. Was waitlisted last cycle and have my interview next Friday. I would say still go for it, if you don't get an interview in 2014, and early interview in 2015 still is worth it.

I submitted my app yesterday (around midnight). I haven't got any confirmation email from ACOM yet. Should I be worried?

--

Last edited:
Here's my timeline and stats-

Primary AACOMAS Application completed 6/12/14
Primary AACOMAS Application verified 7/3/14
Application received by ACOM on 7/11/14
Secondary app received on 7/14/14
Secondary app submitted on 7/23/14 (my essay prompts were 225-275 words)
"All secondary materials received" e-mail on 8/2/14
II on 8/15/14
Interviewed on 9/5/15. Had a great experience!
Waiting to hear back with an Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected decision, should be within a week and a half from now.

My stats - Non-Traditional (Mass Media Communications major), 3.44 cGPA / 3.60 sGPA, 28 MCAT (10PS/10VR/8BS), been working in an ER the past 4+ years, shadowing MD's and DO's along the way.

Hoping to hear some good news soon!

What did you like about the campus/schools? Ive been fortunate to be invited for an interview and I scheduled it here for December but I'm a bit iffy because it's still a relatively new school, so rotation sites and residency placement are not so concrete.

Here's my timeline and stats-

Primary AACOMAS Application completed 6/12/14
Primary AACOMAS Application verified 7/3/14
Application received by ACOM on 7/11/14
Secondary app received on 7/14/14
Secondary app submitted on 7/23/14 (my essay prompts were 225-275 words)
"All secondary materials received" e-mail on 8/2/14
II on 8/15/14
Interviewed on 9/5/15. Had a great experience!
Waiting to hear back with an Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected decision, should be within a week and a half from now.

My stats - Non-Traditional (Mass Media Communications major), 3.44 cGPA / 3.60 sGPA, 28 MCAT (10PS/10VR/8BS), been working in an ER the past 4+ years, shadowing MD's and DO's along the way.

Hoping to hear some good news soon!

May I ask how you know that the school will have an answer ready by a week and a half? Did the school give you an estimated date at the interview?

What did you like about the campus/schools? Ive been fortunate to be invited for an interview and I scheduled it here for December but I'm a bit iffy because it's still a relatively new school, so rotation sites and residency placement are not so concrete.

ACOM is a direct extension of AMEC. Go look up the AMEC sites. ACOM is going to have something like 50-80 residency spots for it's students in primary care, and ACOM students get dibs on AMEC rotation sites. With their curriculum, COMSAE administration the first 4 semesters, early clinical experiences etc, they will arguably be one of the top DO schools in the country in like 5 years.

May I ask how you know that the school will have an answer ready by a week and a half? Did the school give you an estimated date at the interview?
I'm pretty sure on their website, they indicate a response within 2 weeks of the interview date.