Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1410293207.577406.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1410293229.581221.jpg

First photo is a reference point, looking down the 1st floor lecture hall hallway.

Second photo is looking out back. When I interviewed they said there were plans for an identical second building mirror image to the existing one. They plan on having other schools in biomedical sciences, nursing, vet, pharm etc. (not all, but one or some).

In the front of the school we were told that Dr. Lenz wants a $50 million dollar research facility. They have like ~$50 million tied up in funds in the event they fail final accreditation, they have legal obligations to existing students. Once they pass that money is available to upgrade the school. That's alot of money for construction, especially in Bama.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 185332View attachment 185333

First photo is a reference point, looking down the 1st floor lecture hall hallway.

Second photo is looking out back. When I interviewed they said there were plans for an identical second building mirror image to the existing one. They plan on having other schools in biomedical sciences, nursing, vet, pharm etc. (not all, but one or some).

In the front of the school we were told that Dr. Lenz wants a $50 million dollar research facility. They have like ~$50 million tied up in funds in the event they fail final accreditation, they have legal obligations to existing students. Once they pass that money is available to upgrade the school. That's alot of money for construction, especially in Bama.
That first one is impressive. I'm interviewing here on 10/10, and getting really excited.

That first one is impressive. I'm interviewing here on 10/10, and getting really excited.

I interviewed/wait listed in April so I'm sure they've continued to upgrade the place. Tons of phenomenal local art throughout the building, which I really enjoy. I interview again 11/14, Goodluck to you at your interview! If you have any questions about interview day just shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask how you know that the school will have an answer ready by a week and a half? Did the school give you an estimated date at the interview?

Dr. Reynolds (Dean of Students) told us that we would know in about 1-2 weeks. The Admissions Committee meets once a week, then their decision goes to Dr. Lenz to sign off on, then they let the students know.

Dr. Reynolds (Dean of Students) told us that we would know in about 1-2 weeks. The Admissions Committee meets once a week, then their decision goes to Dr. Lenz to sign off on, then they let the students know.

Thank you very much. I recall the school's website stating 7-10 days and the first rounds of students who interviewed last year on the forums got an answer after 7 days. I'm just curious what it looks like for this year. Thanks again! :)

Thank you very much. I recall the school's website stating 7-10 days and the first rounds of students who interviewed last year on the forums got an answer after 7 days. I'm just curious what it looks like for this year. Thanks again! :)

Yes, we were told they shoot for 7 days, but sometimes if Dr. Lenz or Dr. Reynolds are traveling it could take longer but shouldn't be more than 2 weeks.

Yes, we were told they shoot for 7 days, but sometimes if Dr. Lenz or Dr. Reynolds are traveling it could take longer but shouldn't be more than 2 weeks.
I am starting to get anxious to hear back. It shouldn't be much longer.

I can't wait to get to Dothan. I don't generally get anxious for interviews, but I want to absolutely kill this one.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed/wait listed in April so I'm sure they've continued to upgrade the place. Tons of phenomenal local art throughout the building, which I really enjoy. I interview again 11/14, Goodluck to you at your interview! If you have any questions about interview day just shoot me a PM.
As it gets closer, I'll probably take you up on this. From the first rounders, it sounds like a pretty comfortable, engaging day.

I am also a Texas resident. Was waitlisted last cycle and have my interview next Friday. I would say still go for it, if you don't get an interview in 2014, and early interview in 2015 still is worth it.
You said in a previous post that you applied late. How late, if you don't mind?

You said in a previous post that you applied late. How late, if you don't mind?
Last season, my primary wasn't even in until mid September and I didn't complete the ACOM secondary until January 2nd.

I feel so excited for those who are waiting for post-interview decisions. It will be my time soon, but until then I wish all of you the best ! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So excited, moved my interview from 11/21 to 10/9! Now time to book a flight...

So excited, moved my interview from 11/21 to 10/9! Now time to book a flight...
Save yourself some time and money and fly to one of the neighboring airports and drive to Dothan. I missed my connecting flight in Dothan going home, because the air conditioning wouldn't turn on in the plane. I ended up spending all day in airports making new connecting flights to get halfway across the country.

Good luck to all who are interviewing this Friday and in the future! And also to those that may get a response soon and maybe joining us next year!

Sorry if some of us First years seem a bit out of it or tired Friday, don't let that be a bad impression!....we had an OPP exam and practical today and will have 2 more early next week, so we are all pretty drained....

I was not going to apply this year and further develop my app, but a friend of mine told me I should with my stats. 3.96c, 3.96s, 27 MCAT. I called the admissions office, and they said to apply. But I see that they are giving out November interviews. Should I wait until next year? Or should I go ahead and apply?

What are you trying to improve on your app? I mean I get wanting to improve it, but do you really think it's so bad you've got no shot at it this year? Because aside from application/travel costs, there's not a whole lot to lose.

View attachment 185332View attachment 185333

What was said in my interview was that they were seriously thinking about beginning construction on a research facility as early as 2015. I'm not sure if that is the case, but a fully functioning research center would be excellent if it was ready by the summer after OMS I school year. It would also attract more money and more research oriented individuals to ACOM in future years.

What are you trying to improve on your app? I mean I get wanting to improve it, but do you really think it's so bad you've got no shot at it this year? Because aside from application/travel costs, there's not a whole lot to lose.
Just more experience and volunteering. And the only thing I thought I had to lose besides application and travel costs was the possibility of my app having a reapplicant status next year.

Just more experience and volunteering. And the only thing I thought I had to lose besides application and travel costs was the possibility of my app having a reapplicant status next year.
Being a reapplicant isn't necessarily a big red flag on your app- especially if you've made improvements in your app.

ACCEPTED!! Just got the call from Dr. Reynolds and I couldn't be more excited.

Reactions: 8 users
Xxz1UboiTDOOriRXawZE_Michael%20Bay%20Cat.gif

Accepted!

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats y'all! How did you guys feel about the interview coming out?

Pretty good I thought. Like I said before, it was very conversational and it got very personal as far as goals go and what I wanted in a medical school and also from the location of where I want to go to medical school. It was a little hard to read sometimes, but overall I felt very good after the interview. I really like this school, it is right at the top of my list.

Awesome! Well congrats! I interview on Friday and I'm getting progressively more nervous the closer I get! I'm glad the interviews are still relaxed, though.

Just what NiAnWa said, the interview was very comfortable, there weren't really any curveballs, but the interviewers were difficult to read. Know your application, know yourself, and know a little bit about ACOM / AMEC.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance phone call :) Interviewed Sept. 5

Reactions: 5 users
:) Accepted today as well!! Congrats to the rest of you as well!

Reactions: 4 users
I plan on applying here next year. I just want to say congrats to all of you!

I know this isn't the exact forum to post this, but does anyone know how this school will compare to VCOM-auburn? I'm very interested in both.

I know this isn't the exact forum to post this, but does anyone know how this school will compare to VCOM-auburn? I'm very interested in both.
I would be interested to know too, especially if anything has changed.

Last year, the faculty/dean at the interview didn't seem pleased that VCOM was opening an Alabama campus. They said that ACOM would still get preferential selection of AMEC rotation sites, even if they were in the auburn area.

Not sure how that will play out though, or if anything has changed since I interviewed.

I would be interested to know too, especially if anything has changed.

Last year, the faculty/dean at the interview didn't seem pleased that VCOM was opening an Alabama campus. They said that ACOM would still get preferential selection of AMEC rotation sites, even if they were in the auburn area.

Not sure how that will play out though, or if anything has changed since I interviewed.
ACOM is a direct extension of AMEC so it makes sense that they would still have pick of sites.

Hi all... I know it is a long shot with flights being booked but I was wondering if someone scheduled for the October 10th interview slot would be interested in switching interview days with me. I am currently scheduled for October 24th. I recently accepted a job offer that begins October 13th so if possible it would be great to visit ACOM prior to beginning work and immediately asking for two days off.

Feel free to DM if you're interested.

Getting so excited for this interview! Just scheduled another one for the week before, maybe I will have an acceptance in hand by the end of October. This is getting REAL!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview friday morning... the nerves are setting in. *hurls everywhere*

First wave of acceptances came out a week ago, hopefully we'll be seeing more good news today or tomorrow!

Anybody care to post about the interview day and all that jazz. The more people post the better we feel.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah Im sitting in the hotel for the interview tomorrow as we speak... Any input from people would be lovely. <3