Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ditto. Wow, this feels good. I wonder how many acceptances they gave out. I interviewed last week with a bunch of people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Me too!! have you tried following the directions they gave you? I only see "2015/Fall" not "2016/Fall" on the drop down menu
It should work now!

Reactions: 1 user
II just now. OOS LizzyM ~67. complete 9/11

What's the best flight method here? I'm in NC. Is it best to just fly into ATL and drive the rest?

Members don't see this ad :)

What's the best flight method here? I'm in NC. Is it best to just fly into ATL and drive the rest?
Probably best to do that. If you fly into Dothan it is ridiculously expensive. Might want to check flying into Panama City FL too...I hear they are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember the hour time difference between ATL and Dothan

Probably best to do that. If you fly into Dothan it is ridiculously expensive. Might want to check flying into Panama City FL too...I hear they are cheaper.

Ha just checked. Nope. Into ATL is like $240, into Panama City is ~750, into Dothan is ~800.

Guess I'm flying into that hotlanta

Ha just checked. Nope. Into ATL is like $240, into Panama City is ~750, into Dothan is ~800.

Guess I'm flying into that hotlanta
Well dang...I tried ...just remember it's like a three hour drive from atl to Dothan...maybe a little more depending on traffic and how fast you drive lol. Best of luck to you!

Nope Tallahassee is still like 500. It probably doesn't help that I'm trying to get a flight for the interview Oct 9.

I just got an interview invite form this school, complete about 11 days ago. I do not know my log in information though, nor do i remember ever creating one! ugh!!

I just got an interview invite form this school, complete about 11 days ago. I do not know my log in information though, nor do i remember ever creating one! ugh!!

In the email they send you it should have an email address for tech that you can email and they will tell you what your login information is. I didn't remember making any login information either so I emailed them and they responded in literally less than 10 minutes. Good luck on the II! If you are interviewing 10/9 I'll see you there!

In the email they send you it should have an email address for tech that you can email and they will tell you what your login information is. I didn't remember making any login information either so I emailed them and they responded in literally less than 10 minutes. Good luck on the II! If you are interviewing 10/9 I'll see you there!

Thank you so much!! I just scheduled my interview for October 9th! See you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Love the school. Had a very positive experience. Dothan is small. If you grew up in a big city, it'll be an adjustment. It's friendly, has southern hospitality. Just gotta get used to it.

What was your most favorite thing about the school?

Can anyone comment, on when the interview is over and when you can leave? it says 3:00, but i am getting a flight out of Atlanta at 9:00, will that be enough time to to drive back to from the school to ATL!

Can anyone comment, on when the interview is over and when you can leave? it says 3:00, but i am getting a flight out of Atlanta at 9:00, will that be enough time to to drive back to from the school to ATL!
It's about a 3 hour drive but they are an hour ahead of us in Dothan so it would be cutting it close

It's about a 3 hour drive but they are an hour ahead of us in Dothan so it would be cutting it close

I have work the next morning (Saturday) that I cannot miss this flight. Is there anyway I can leave at 3 rather than 3:30? or perhaps even 2:30? I can get to Atlanta at around 7:30, and make my flight at 9:00!

Got the interview invite today!! Couldn't be more excited!! Deciding between Oct 9 and 23 but super pumped to finally get an invite!

Reactions: 1 users
I have work the next morning (Saturday) that I cannot miss this flight. Is there anyway I can leave at 3 rather than 3:30? or perhaps even 2:30? I can get to Atlanta at around 7:30, and make my flight at 9:00!
Not likely that you can leave early. You should be done in Dothan at 3:30 (4:30 Atlanta time) + 3 1/2 hour drive puts you there at 8ish. you should be able to get through security in time for the flight but you will be pushing it.

Nope Tallahassee is still like 500. It probably doesn't help that I'm trying to get a flight for the interview Oct 9.

It may be better to just drive. You'll spend just as much time driving to the airport, and driving will be cheaper. I drove from Central-Eastern NC, but if you aren't used to long drives I guess this may not be possible. The whole airport thing from Atlanta just seems like such a hassle, and, just like another girl said, if you miss your flight, you're SOL.

Not likely that you can leave early. You should be done in Dothan at 3:30 (4:30 Atlanta time) + 3 1/2 hour drive puts you there at 8ish. you should be able to get through security in time for the flight but you will be pushing it.

Why does it say that the interview is over at 2:30 on the pdf? Did you already interview and it was 3:30??

Why does it say that the interview is over at 2:30 on the pdf? Did you already interview and it was 3:30??
I'm a current student. I would say around 3 it ends depending on how long lunch takes etc. I'll ask some of the ambassadors when they've been finishing but I left campus 10 mins ago and they are still meeting. It's 2:37 now.

Just got an interview invite yesterday and scheduled for Oct. 2nd. So excited!

For those who are current students, do any of you live at Summerfield? How do you like it? The convenience factor is really appealing. Also, what's the scoop with the Phase II apartments? There's nothing on the website about those. Are they any different from Phase I (such as 3-bedrooms, etc)?

For those who are current students, do any of you live at Summerfield? How do you like it? The convenience factor is really appealing. Also, what's the scoop with the Phase II apartments? There's nothing on the website about those. Are they any different from Phase I (such as 3-bedrooms, etc)?

Some people do better off campus just because they need to feel like they are getting away from school to relax and unwind after a long day, which I can understand. Some like me prefer to be closer, so what I list below might be more helpful to those who already like the idea of being closer.

I was put in the older buildings (still only 2 years old so like new) so I can't comment to much on the newer ones. But as far of Summerfield itself I am very happy with it.

The only negative I have had so far, is because it is considered on campus housing they have the move in dates set pretty close to the start of school. If you have a bunch of stuff to move its pretty stressful doing it all at the last minute, and you do not get that 2 or 4 week window before classes to meet some of your fellow students and start networking/socializing before the hectic studying begins. At the start of the semester the internet at the apartments was an issue. It had lots of dropped connections, but that's because they switched the entire internet for the whole complex to a new system rights as we moved in so that everyone here now has free high speed wireless internet. That has had most of the kinks already worked out over the last month and is working a lot better now so it shouldn't be an issue for your class.

I also thought the price was a negative at first since its 200 higher here than in town, but it really is about the same cost when you factor in the stuff they include here that's not included at other apartments.
-Free Wi-Fi. and when they say high speed its not a joke, online speed tests show most of us getting around 100 Mbps download speed and 60 upload (compared to my old Comcast at 30 down 6 up that cost $50 a month)
-Free cable
-First $70 of electric/gas bill included. I ran the air at 74 non stop in august here and didn't pay anything out of pocket.
-decent gym for an apartment. saves gym membership for most people
-plus you don't spend money on gas for vehicle etc as much.

The positives about being here at Summerfield:
-they are super fast to deal with issues and very friendly. You can email or even Facebook message the property manger any time and she gets back to you super fast.
-You are close to school which limits the excuses you can make when you are tired and don't want to drive all the way back to campus to study. Really helps me study more
-less travel time = more sleep or study time. and both are great and needed in med school
-well maintained and well lit. not only is there bright lights covering the parking lot and hallways of apartment buildings themselves, the school has linked the blue light security type posts along the path to the school itself so for the women who walk late at night you can be safer. The campus security will even walk you home if requested if your at Summerfield (or to your car if not) late at night
-washer and dryers in each apartment (makes a huge difference since you can do around sleep and study time and not wait at a laundry mat)
-close to a bunch of other students. helps you meet new people since you often walk to class at same time, and if you need help with something there's always someone from class nearby

sorry if this was a bit long or worded poorly, but those were just the things I thought of real quick. back to studying :)

Reactions: 10 users
I appreciate the phenomenal post, @dca ! Do you by any chance know when we can sign up on the waiting list for next fall? I looked on the website and the only option is Fall 2015.

Some people do better off campus just because they need to feel like they are getting away from school to relax and unwind after a long day, which I can understand. Some like me prefer to be closer, so what I list below might be more helpful to those who already like the idea of being closer.

I was put in the older buildings (still only 2 years old so like new) so I can't comment to much on the newer ones. But as far of Summerfield itself I am very happy with it.

The only negative I have had so far, is because it is considered on campus housing they have the move in dates set pretty close to the start of school. If you have a bunch of stuff to move its pretty stressful doing it all at the last minute, and you do not get that 2 or 4 week window before classes to meet some of your fellow students and start networking/socializing before the hectic studying begins. At the start of the semester the internet at the apartments was an issue. It had lots of dropped connections, but that's because they switched the entire internet for the whole complex to a new system rights as we moved in so that everyone here now has free high speed wireless internet. That has had most of the kinks already worked out over the last month and is working a lot better now so it shouldn't be an issue for your class.

I also thought the price was a negative at first since its 200 higher here than in town, but it really is about the same cost when you factor in the stuff they include here that's not included at other apartments.
-Free Wi-Fi. and when they say high speed its not a joke, online speed tests show most of us getting around 100 Mbps download speed and 60 upload (compared to my old Comcast at 30 down 6 up that cost $50 a month)
-Free cable
-First $70 of electric/gas bill included. I ran the air at 74 non stop in august here and didn't pay anything out of pocket.

-they are super fast to deal with issues and very friendly. You can email or even Facebook message the property manger any time and she gets back to you super fast.
-You are close to school which limits the excuses you can make when you are tired and don't want to drive all the way back to campus to study. Really helps me study more
-less travel time = more sleep or study time. and both are great and needed in med school
-well maintained and well lit. not only is there bright lights covering the parking lot and hallways of apartment buildings themselves, the school has linked the blue light security type posts along the path to the school itself so for the women who walk late at night you can be safer. The campus security will even walk you home if requested if your at Summerfield (or to your car if not) late at night
-washer and dryers in each apartment (makes a huge difference since you can do around sleep and study time and not wait at a laundry mat)
-close to a bunch of other students. helps you meet new people since you often walk to class at same time, and if you need help with something there's always someone from class nearby

sorry if this was a bit long or worded poorly, but those were just the things I thought of real quick. back to studying :)

Thank you for the excellent reply! That was extremely helpful. I think that we have pretty much made up our minds that if I am lucky enough to be admitted to ACOM, we would like to live there. However, hearing from someone who currently lives there is reassuring. Thanks for taking the time out to reply!

-Free cable

Same here, I looked as well. I think that if we really wanted to get an application in this early, we'd probably have to call and ask. Have you looked at the apartments in person? I was thinking about trying to schedule a tour for whenever I (hopefully) interview or visit my bestie next, whichever comes first.

I appreciate the phenomenal post, @dca ! Do you by any chance know when we can sign up on the waiting list for next fall? I looked on the website and the only option is Fall 2015.

Ay current students, what is there to do on a Friday night if I'm alone in Dothan?

I'm staying another night after my Oct 9 interview would rather not spend it writing my thesis in a hotel room.

Hey Oct 2nd interviewees! I am flying in from Montgomery on Oct 1st, and spending both Thursday and Friday night in Dothan before flying out Saturday in Montgomery (cheapest way for me). Is anyone interested in getting together before or after the interview?

Hey Oct 2nd interviewees! I am flying in from Montgomery on Oct 1st, and spending both Thursday and Friday night in Dothan before flying out Saturday in Montgomery (cheapest way for me). Is anyone interested in getting together before or after the interview?
I have the exact same schedule, staying 2 nights and flying in and out of Montgomery. Would be glad to meet up

Interviewed here yesterday and just made it back home. Loved the school and the people, as I expected to. 2 weeks is going to be a long time to wait to find out if I'm in!! Ppl who have already been accepted, is it usually actually 2 weeks or more, or are they getting back to you more quickly?

Interviewed here yesterday and just made it back home. Loved the school and the people, as I expected to. 2 weeks is going to be a long time to wait to find out if I'm in!! Ppl who have already been accepted, is it usually actually 2 weeks or more, or are they getting back to you more quickly?
From what i've seen in this thread, they usually respond within a week.

I have applied and interviewed here twice and it's usually a week unless its around spring break or some sort of break. I got waitlisted about 10-12 days after interviewing (around spring break) and denied exactly 7 days after my interview (no break).

I will be there Oct. 9! Anyone else? I'm from Dothan so it will be a good chance to go back and visit. Growing up if you told me Dothan would have a medical school I would laugh in your face. The city has come a long way and I think it will continue to grow. FYI good Mexican is at La Parilla on the northside of town on 231 and the new big shopping area.

I got called the Thursday after my interview with an acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
I have applied and interviewed here twice and it's usually a week unless its around spring break or some sort of break. I got waitlisted about 10-12 days after interviewing (around spring break) and denied exactly 7 days after my interview (no break).

I will be there Oct. 9! Anyone else? I'm from Dothan so it will be a good chance to go back and visit. Growing up if you told me Dothan would have a medical school I would laugh in your face. The city has come a long way and I think it will continue to grow. FYI good Mexican is at La Parilla on the northside of town on 231 and the new big shopping area.

Dang man, good luck, i thought they favor in state students!

Dang man, good luck, i thought they favor in state students!

Well I had a 23 on the MCAT and improved that to a 502 this last summer so hopefully that will help. I also did some D.O. rural shadowing!!

Question to anyone? Did you get an interview confirmation? I tried logging back in using my credentials and checking my email and I don't see anything confirming it. I got a message saying my spot was booked on the page but no email conf?

Well I had a 23 on the MCAT and improved that to a 502 this last summer so hopefully that will help. I also did some D.O. rural shadowing!!

Question to anyone? Did you get an interview confirmation? I tried logging back in using my credentials and checking my email and I don't see anything confirming it. I got a message saying my spot was booked on the page but no email conf?
if you can see the date on your myacom interview scheduler, you should be fine. They remind you a day before via email. Good Luck, God willing you will get in this time

if you can see the date on your myacom interview scheduler, you should be fine. They remind you a day before via email. Good Luck, God willing you will get in this time

Thanks! sending you a pm.

The lady told me the wrong username and password for a guy with a similar name with mine, i booked october 9th, booked flights and everything and realized 2 days after that, i emailed her and she said they look at the name you enter, not ur credentials, i entered my name for the slot, but i am still worried!

I interviewed this past Friday, my stats are 3.45 GPA and 27 MCAT, anyone have an idea if I'll have a good shot? I thought the interview went really well, I was pretty nervous at first but after a minute or two I was extremely calm and basically having a conversation with the interviewers.

For those interviewing later on, they seem to have very laid back interviews so don't stress out. Everyone is super friendly and helpful too.