Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed this past Friday, my stats are 3.45 GPA and 27 MCAT, anyone have an idea if I'll have a good shot? I thought the interview went really well, I was pretty nervous at first but after a minute or two I was extremely calm and basically having a conversation with the interviewers.

For those interviewing later on, they seem to have very laid back interviews so don't stress out. Everyone is super friendly and helpful too.
Once you got an interview, you have a pretty good shot ^^

Members don't see this ad.

Once you got an interview, you have a pretty good shot ^^
is there a specific ratio, because I know there is 24 students and I read earlier that they accept 2/3 on this thread, thanks.

I interviewed this past Friday, my stats are 3.45 GPA and 27 MCAT, anyone have an idea if I'll have a good shot? I thought the interview went really well, I was pretty nervous at first but after a minute or two I was extremely calm and basically having a conversation with the interviewers.

For those interviewing later on, they seem to have very laid back interviews so don't stress out. Everyone is super friendly and helpful too.
I have similar stats and I got accepted. I think you should have a pretty good chance! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar stats and I got accepted. I think you should have a pretty good chance! Best of luck!

Thank you!! Do you think you're going to go here? Or are you going to wait it out and see where you get accepted

Anyone want chance me, i have an interview next week.. 3.72sciGPA, 3.82cGPA, and 26 MCAT (8/8/10)!

From my understanding, it's your stats and your story that get you in the door for an interview. An interview is them saying they think you can handle medical school. After that, the deciding factors are usually ECs, LORs, and interview performance. Basically they use those to determine if you "fit" with their other students and mission.

TL;DR: stats are probably less important once you get an interview

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Oct 2nd interviewees! I am flying in from Montgomery on Oct 1st, and spending both Thursday and Friday night in Dothan before flying out Saturday in Montgomery (cheapest way for me). Is anyone interested in getting together before or after the interview?
I live near Dothan. I would definitely like to meet sometime before the interview. Why time are you expected to arrive Thursday?

is there a specific ratio, because I know there is 24 students and I read earlier that they accept 2/3 on this thread, thanks.

Well my luck must be terrible because I've interviewed there twice.

Well my luck must be terrible because I've interviewed there twice.

Rough. I'm guessing you called back after rejection/waitlist to ask what you could improve on right?

Rough. I'm guessing you called back after rejection/waitlist to ask what you could improve on right?

Both times. My MCAT probably was no longer competitive at a 23 for last year's cycle. Ms. Goodson told me that it had jumped drastically. I neglected to retake it so it is on me. I got comfortable because I got waitlisted the first time and then re-applied but with some post-bacc classes and a higher GPA but got denied out right.

And I assumed since I was getting an interview I was golden. The lesson is always do as much as you can to improve your app between cycles.

Both times. My MCAT probably was no longer competitive at a 23 for last year's cycle. Ms. Goodson told me that it had jumped drastically. I neglected to retake it so it is on me. I got comfortable because I got waitlisted the first time and then re-applied but with some post-bacc classes and a higher GPA but got denied out right.

And I assumed since I was getting an interview I was golden. The lesson is always do as much as you can to improve your app between cycles.
Ahh... How does this cycle turn out for you?

Anyone know what we may need to bring with us to the interview besides identification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you. So a copy will be sufficient? Not the original?
Yeah man.

ayyyy.PNG

Why would they interview you just to deny you because of your mcat? that's so stupid. it's not like your mcat magically appeared on your application after you interviewed. They could have saved you a lot of money by showing some basic consideration.
I'm wondering about that, too. Once we've got an interview, I assume our NUMBERS look good....

I'm wondering about that, too. Once we've got an interview, I assume our NUMBERS look good....

Same thing happened to me at DMU. Got an interview, waitlist solely because of concerns about the MCAT. Said my interview went "great" and everything else on my app looked great. Was so disappointing. Really liked that school

Its like I interviewed for a spot on the waitlist. -.- Really disheartening

Same thing happened to me at DMU. Got an interview, waitlist solely because of concerns about the MCAT. Said my interview went "great" and everything else on my app looked great. Was so disappointing. Really liked that school

Its like I interviewed for a spot on the waitlist. -.- Really disheartening

Hey waitlist is better than nothing though! you might get lucky towards the end of your cycle. I'm worried to about being in the same situation because my MCAT is also on the lower end (26). What was yours if you don't mind sharing?

Hey all! I'm wondering how long after a completion email did it take for a II? I had LOR issues, just received a complete email :( I really want to interview here!

I was complete september 11th, and received an interview invte september 24th, and scheduled for October 9th!!

From my understanding, it's your stats and your story that get you in the door for an interview. An interview is them saying they think you can handle medical school. After that, the deciding factors are usually ECs, LORs, and interview performance. Basically they use those to determine if you "fit" with their other students and mission.

TL;DR: stats are probably less important once you get an interview

This makes me happy and concerned lol. I just interviewed and I think it went really really well, so if I don't get in I'll be at a loss of what I did wrong at my interview.:eyebrow:

Why would they interview you just to deny you because of your mcat? that's so stupid. it's not like your mcat magically appeared on your application after you interviewed. They could have saved you a lot of money by showing some basic consideration.

That's accurate if you don't account for the inconsiderate nature of med school admissions departments. From my personal experience id say anything could count you out post-interview. It's not fair at all, but welcome to med school admissions.

They have the power to jerk you around for no reasonable reason. Nature of the game.

I can't argue they gave me an interview with a low MCAT. I've heard they usually interview Alabama residents if they have minimum stats. Just hearsay though.

I would hope medical schools have looked at your stats pretty thoroughly before giving you an interview. I feel like its probably different everywhere. I would think most do. I hope that would be common practice because no sense of false hope given.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
for accepted applicants here, what was you NEW mcat score (if taken). thanks.

Why does it say that the interview is over at 2:30 on the pdf? Did you already interview and it was 3:30??
If you need to leave early call now and let them know. They will make accommodations as needed for certain circumstances.

For all of the above concerns about interviews w low MCAT scores, acceptances and medschool admissions departments please realize this: Most of them across the nation are doing the best they can. They get thousands of applications to each school for a handful of seats. They know they are holding your dreams on a piece of paper. Go in with the best attitude possible, be helpful, dress professionally (GIRLS no bare shoulders, no tank tops, no short skirts....PLEASE!. GUYS- make sure your hair is brushed, that the label is off your suit coat sleeve, your suit tails are untied, and your shoes are not nasty.) I usually meet the interviewees in the AM before you start and I have seen a few too many of these issues lately. Don't give anyone reason to doubt you before you get a chance to shine. Show them who you really are, that you are an interesting, and hardworking person. Good luck!

I was notified that I was missing a Science faculty LOR. However, I did sent it with all of my other LORs. Who do I contact?

I emailed Linda Goodson @ [email protected], but I havent gotten a response. Is there a number I can call or another person I can email?

I was notified that I was missing a Science faculty LOR. However, I did sent it with all of my other LORs. Who do I contact?

I emailed Linda Goodson @ [email protected], but I havent gotten a response. Is there a number I can call or another person I can email?
Email her again and ask if your file is complete.

Thanks for responding. My file is ready to be reviewed, but my missing LOR is delaying the process. I will email her again.

I had the same problem. I emailed Robert Willis--> [email protected] and he updated it for me. I saw his email address at the bottom of the secondary email I believe.

did they stop giving out acceptance or what haha, this thread has been pretty quite.

I know...the silence is killing me lol...waiting on my ii here...was complete last Thursday...hoping to hear something soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone have any problem about a rejected LOR because it wasn't a pre-req science prof? and how did you resolve this issue?

Good luck to everyone interviewing in the morning, I look forward to seeing you there.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone interviewing in the morning, I look forward to seeing you there.
Eat a good breakfast, I made the mistake of eating very little for breakfast and was dying throughout most of the day!

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure with all of the stress cereal may burn off pretty quickly.

They have a few snacks and stuff that you can have throughout the day as well! Nothing beats a good breakfast though. Good luck!

have the people that interviewed on 9/25 heard anything, yet?

have the people that interviewed on 9/25 heard anything, yet?
I haven't. I have another interview tomorrow and thought it would have been super to have an acceptance to take some of the pressure off. Oh well...

We need more people in the fb group, so get accepted people!!!! ;)

Just rolled into Dothan! Driving through north Florida and Alabama to get here, this is most definitely the SOUTH! Which I have no experience at all with, this is like a different world to me but I love it. What are these boiled peanuts??

Anyway, interviewing here tomorrow. Who's with me?

What's the facebook group?? I will join immediately! haha

We need more people in the fb group, so get accepted people!!!! ;)
Oh I wish it were that easy lol! I am so nervous...I keep replaying the interview in my head trying to think if it went well or didn't. All these ppl saying they got rejected due to stats post-interview is making me a lot more nervous :(....

Reactions: 2 users
Very random but I came across one of those Med school parodies on youtube (Harvard makes absolutely amazing ones) and was thinking how D.O. schools haven't really done any except for MSU. You guys at ACOM should do one +pity+

This is going to sound like a silly question, but I already completed my secondary and I can't seem to remember my username to log back into the system. Does anyone know if there is a universal system set up for usernames or if we created our own?

This is going to sound like a silly question, but I already completed my secondary and I can't seem to remember my username to log back into the system. Does anyone know if there is a universal system set up for usernames or if we created our own?
Email I.T. their email should be in one of the emails ACOM has sent you. They get back super fast and send you your ID and Password