Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Oct 2nd!! Just this past Friday

Wow that's fast!! Interview on Friday and acceptance on Monday! That's the way to go! Congrats!

Any other Oct 2 interviewee's get news today? Hoping it's a sign that I'll have an acceptance a week from today after interviewing the 9th!

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's crazy! I hope you get the good news soon!

Reactions: 1 user
I just cancelled my interview for this Friday, the 9th, so if one of you want to quickly grab it, go for it! Good luck to everyone!

Acceptance call this afternoon :). Congrats to all the other acceptances!! I am so excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks :)! You too!!!! You join the facebook group yet lol?

Did you receive an email about the adcom decision, too?
I haven't yet. Dr. Reynolds did say we would though. He also said we would get an acceptance letter in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now!! Saw it in the portal. SO HAPPY!!!! :joyful:

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else from the last 2 interview groups (9/25 and 10/2) hear back yet?

II just now!! Saw it in the portal. SO HAPPY!!!! :joyful:
Is II secondary or interview? I know it's a stupid question but I keep seeing it and I can't tell lol

Is II secondary or interview? I know it's a stupid question but I keep seeing it and I can't tell lol

II = Interview Invite! I can see where the confusion comes though hahaha

II= Interview Invite, I believe.

Congrats on the invite, and congrats to those who have gotten acceptances!

II = Interview Invite! I can see where the confusion comes though hahaha

II= Interview Invite, I believe.

Congrats on the invite, and congrats to those who have gotten acceptances!

Lol thanks guys, now I'll know what it means! I've seen it so many times and it's always in a context where I couldn't tell if it meant interview or secondary haha

Yup, intereview! I found that super confusing at first as well :p

when you guys say "complete" do you mean secondaries in + confirmation from the school, but no interview invite yet?

Do students move around a lot during rotations here? Or is there a 'home' hospital for 3rd year, at least? How are rotation sites assigned?

Sorry if this is earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find it!

It feels weird telling the Dean of Students that I want to use a shuttle.

It feels weird telling the Dean of Students that I want to use a shuttle.
One of the hotels on ACOM's list provides shuttle to/from hotel-airport-ACOM for free.

Do students move around a lot during rotations here? Or is there a 'home' hospital for 3rd year, at least? How are rotation sites assigned?

Sorry if this is earlier in the thread, but I couldn't find it!
All core rotations during 3rd year are done in Alabama at ACOM's affiliated hospitals; it's a lottery ranking system like in most schools.
For electives, you can go outside Alabama.
The rotation sites' locations are provided before the interview.

so how many ppl that itvwd 10/2 have gotten accepted?

Last edited:
Wait Listed

Interviewed on 10/2

Unfortunately I just got wait listed. Interviewed on 10/2. Nothing like more waiting!

I suspect wait listed for something on my application. Interview went very well.

Ah that's rough...do you mind my asking your stats?

Edit: Posted this right after you haha what about EC's and stuff as well?

I think my app is very strong but mcat is my weak point. I did take the mcat before taking prerequisite classes though. Non traditional student. Hoping to get pulled off the wait list because I would love to attend the school. I will provide ranges for my stats

GPA (3.6-3.8 range)
MCAT (498-503 range)

ACCEPTED. Interviewed 5 days ago. First acceptance!

Reactions: 11 users
Good luck to those of you with upcoming interviews! Let us know how it goes.

@Miss.P and @appleball5 how do you feel like your interviews went? Were your apps pretty strong? Any ideas why you may have been waitlisted?
I thought my interview went well and I was very impressed with the school. It is likely my stats (61 LizzyM) that put me on the waitlist. I am currently retaking one of my pre-reqs so I am betting they want to see that replacement grade. I hope to get pulled of the WL because I love this school.

Can anyone comment on the diversity of this school and the surrounding areas?

Can anyone comment on the diversity of this school and the surrounding areas?
Dothan is 2/3 white 1/3 AA. Small Hispanic population. Very little anything else.

Fairly even age range, median age of 38. Modest elderly population.

~18% of population is below poverty line.

Large southern baptist population.

From what I've read, it sounds like a pretty typical southern city.