Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've an upcoming interview on the 13th. But I have already been accepted to my #1 school.

However, I've already made plans to come down to Georgia and Alabama. Should I still go to the interview just for the experience? Or disregard it and just enjoy my mini vacation in Georgia?
If you got into your #1 ( congrats that's Awesome btw) then don't go, there's really no reason to. Maybe go and check out the area if you really want, but I mean again there's no reason to go you have already got into your first choice so your done with this process.. Move on lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If you got into your #1 ( congrats that's Awesome btw) then don't go, there's really no reason to. Maybe go and check out the area if you really want, but I mean again there's no reason to go you have already got into your first choice so your done with this process.. Move on lol
Agreed. If you really got into your number 1 and are definitely planning on attending that school don't go to the interview. Think about the time and effort the admissions committee and the interviewers have to put into your application and interview when they could be doing it for someone dying to go to ACOM especially if you're going to 100% turn down the offer anyways. Congrats on getting into your #1 though, that's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CAnt log in anymore....assuming that means rejection?

Email the school and let them know (politely of couse) that you have password issues. They will get you to the IT people who can reset it. Last year it happened to a bunch of us, what they told us was it was something about their system updating passwords every 90 days or so for prospective students. Not sure if that is what is happening to you but they are very fast and very nice about helping you with issues like that.

Deposit is due December sometime right for accepted students?

Deposit is due December sometime right for accepted students?

If accepted prior to Nov. 15th, you have until Dec. 14th to deposit! I think...
Double check the school in the AACOMAS guide.

Reactions: 1 user
BTW did anybody else read in the instructions that Visa is not accepted?

No clue, I don't want to pay by card anyways. It's a 2.5% processing fee.

I wish I didn't have to pay with a card, but frankly I don't have 2k sitting around after applying. That is one thing that is pretty freaking crappy about DO schools (the outrageous seat deposit). Yaaaaaaaa I know that it is to make sure people will actually attend with multiple acceptances etc... Just another hoop to jump through I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I didn't have to pay with a card, but frankly I don't have 2k sitting around after applying. That is one thing that is pretty freaking crappy about DO schools (the outrageous seat deposit). Yaaaaaaaa I know that it is to make sure people will actually attend with multiple acceptances etc... Just another hoop to jump through I guess.
My friend suggested pulling out a small private bank loan rather than putting the deposit on a card. You will get a better interest rate and it will not hurt your credit score at all. May be worth looking into

My friend suggested pulling out a small private bank loan rather than putting the deposit on a card. You will get a better interest rate and it will not hurt your credit score at all. May be worth looking into

Not a bad idea! Thanks for the tip. Honestly, I am just happy to have an acceptance when it all comes down to it.

"Interview Requested" status on ACOM Portal. So relieved. The more I learn about this school, the more I love it.

Edit: So I have both GPAs right below 3.2. My MCAT is 506. So, either 3.2 is NOT the Tier 1 cut-off, or perhaps if either your GPA or MCAT is above the cutoff, you are in Tier 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am seriously considering this school, but I have lived in New York all my life, I even attended school out east in Long Island, so New York has always been home. I love the South a lot, and wanted to practice here as well. But How was the transition for you guys to Dothan? Can anyway highlight about Dothan life? I have been accepted to LECOM Bradenton as well, and hear back from LECOM-E and NYIT by next week, but I felt this campus, along with staff support was the best! Can anyone offer insight??

Interviewed 10/23. MCAT - 29 GPA - 3.54 sGPA - 3.6
Out of state student. I was impressed with the school. Exceeded my expectations

Reactions: 2 users
I was a little worried at the fact that it's a new school, but after my interview all my fears were absolved. The staff seem to genuinely care about their students, the facilities are really nice, and the program in general seems like it's going to be very good for future docs. Really hope I get an acceptance call/email in the next week or two.

Hey guys, I am seriously considering this school, but I have lived in New York all my life, I even attended school out east in Long Island, so New York has always been home. I love the South a lot, and wanted to practice here as well. But How was the transition for you guys to Dothan? Can anyway highlight about Dothan life? I have been accepted to LECOM Bradenton as well, and hear back from LECOM-E and NYIT by next week, but I felt this campus, along with staff support was the best! Can anyone offer insight??

Hey man, I haven't lived in Dothan, but there's a ton of talk about this earlier in this thread!

Hey does anyone know the pre-secondary screen cutoffs?

Just received an II here. Not sure if I will attend or not.

Just received an II here. Not sure if I will attend or not.
Congrats! May I ask what your stats are? I'm still waiting! Was 'paperwork complete' since late September.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Congrats! May I ask what your stats are? I'm still waiting! Was 'paperwork complete' since late September.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Congrats! When were you complete? What makes you not want to attend?

Nothing negative about ACOM, I like what they are about, but the medical school I was accepted to is very nice and I would be happy in attending there.

Stats: cGPA - 3.49 , sGPA - 3.21 , MCAT - 502

II! This is my first interview and I don't have such great stats so any helpful tips are appreciated! I turned in the secondary 9/19 and they sent an email that it was complete and in review on 10/13.

II by email this morning! But I've been accepted at vcom-auburn. Not sure if I want to go through the stress, drive, hotel, interview, etc all over again lol

II by email this morning! But I've been accepted at vcom-auburn. Not sure if I want to go through the stress, drive, hotel, interview, etc all over again lol
Lol, my twin, where have you been!?

If you have the resources, I would definitely check it out. I loved ACOM and will probably end up a student here as well! I was actually pretty skeptical (new school/other concerns) but they completely changed my mind. Being a DO school started by a hospital was a huge plus, and the support from the community/state is awesome too! Also, congrats on your acceptance to VCOM-Auburn. If you end up going to this interview, at least you know at the end of the day, you're in!

@Endorphins98 yea I have to talk with my parents. They're the ones funding these trips so I don't want to stress them out financially. I have heard great things about the school and have a few friends there. So I'm definitely curious but this could be a spot for someone else. Thank you! That's true, maybe it would be slightly less stressful with that in mind.

SR: 10/30 SS: 10/30
After submitting, I didn't get any "application complete" window or message or the like. Is this normal?
Also, I'm assuming once they receive the secondary, they send you the log in information, correct?
It also seems like people are having issues with logging in after 90 days or so.

II! This is my first interview and I don't have such great stats so any helpful tips are appreciated! I turned in the secondary 9/19 and they sent an email that it was complete and in review on 10/13.

Own up to whatever the reason was that your stats were low and tell them what you were able to take away from it. My stats were low too, and I just got an acceptance phone call today! Congrats on the interview!

I am a first year at ACOM, and I really think you shouldn't limit yourself to just that school. I have a few friends up there and also other schools, and it seems as if our curriculum structure as a school overall is going much smoother, and is much more integrated (anatomy + molecular + disease specific lectures)..(I could talk way too much about the school but a lot has already been said throughout the thread).

More specifically to VCOM-Auburn, I have heard their class is going through what our first class went through..a lot of roughness and needing to workout the kinks. I am not saying you shouldn't go to that school, but I definitely think you should look at both.

@Ipper91 that's understandable. The more I think about it the more I think I should too. At least to have a comparison and make an educated decision. Thanks!

Own up to whatever the reason was that your stats were low and tell them what you were able to take away from it. My stats were low too, and I just got an acceptance phone call today! Congrats on the interview!

Thank you! And congrats on your acceptance! :)

For those who got the acceptance call, have you gotten the acceptance e-mail yet?

What's the general timeline here?
From secondary received, submitted, complete, II, Interview attended, post decision

Hi everyone, I was hoping if someone could elaborate on the community outreach programs that are offered at ACOM. I roamed the website, but couldnt find any. If someone has a link or you know of any, can you post or pm me? Thanks

Hi everyone, I was hoping if someone could elaborate on the community outreach programs that are offered at ACOM. I roamed the website, but couldnt find any. If someone has a link or you know of any, can you post or pm me? Thanks

http://www.acomedu.org/sga/community-outreach/

That is ACOM SGA (Student Government Association)'s website specifically for community outreach. Under the Volunteer tab, you can find all the different community outreach programs they have. Also, there is a list of student organizations on the SGA home page and each organization has a website that would tell you what specific volunteer opportunities they do as well. :)

Interviewed 10/23. MCAT - 29 GPA - 3.54 sGPA - 3.6
Out of state student. I was impressed with the school. Exceeded my expectations
Just got the call today... ACCEPTED!
Just got the acceptance call! :)
"Interview Requested" status on ACOM Portal. So relieved. The more I learn about this school, the more I love it.

Edit: So I have both GPAs right below 3.2. My MCAT is 506. So, either 3.2 is NOT the Tier 1 cut-off, or perhaps if either your GPA or MCAT is above the cutoff, you are in Tier 1.
Hey guys, what were your timelines?
Secondary received, submitted, complete, II, interview date, post decision

Is anyone interviewing on November, 20th?

When did you submit your secondary and when were you complete?
We have very similar stats.
Supplemental confirmed on September 22nd. They completed my application on September 24th.

Hey guys, what were your timelines?
Secondary received, submitted, complete, II, interview date, post decision

Secondary received: July 1
Secondary submitted: September 10
App Complete: September 11
II: September 24
Interview Date: October 23
Post Decision: October 30

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk