Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't emailed any credentials, only secondary and secondary received emails..
Check your spam, after submitting secondary three emails are sent to you, One with the portal link, one for the username and one for the password. For some reason, they came into my spam with the subject line: undeliverable

Members don't see this ad.

Check your spam, after submitting secondary three emails are sent to you, One with the portal link, one for the username and one for the password. For some reason, they came into my spam with the subject line: undeliverable

Excellent call lol. They were in my spam folder..

Problem is the email is all jumbled up. Definitely giving them a call tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Problem is the email is all jumbled up. Definitely giving them a call tomorrow!
Mine were pretty jumbled up as well, look for the following in each of the emails:

Active Directory/Network Username:
Active Directory/Network Password:

Reactions: 1 user
Mine were pretty jumbled up as well, look for the following in each of the emails:

Active Directory/Network Username:
Active Directory/Network Password:

I was looking through my phone and couldn't find it. I checked on my laptop and found the credentials, thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

So I'm getting pumped for my interview on Nov 20th!!! Anyone have any advise specific to ACOM's interview process?

So I'm getting pumped for my interview on Nov 20th!!! Anyone have any advise specific to ACOM's interview process?

Just be yourself. Do not rehearse a script. They will probably ask you about a "hot topic" in healthcare or something like that. Just pick an issue and a stance. They have all your info, and will ask you questions about your experiences. Just speak from the heart and be yourself. No need to nervous.

Just be yourself. Do not rehearse a script. They will probably ask you about a "hot topic" in healthcare or something like that. Just pick an issue and a stance. They have all your info, and will ask you questions about your experiences. Just speak from the heart and be yourself. No need to nervous.

Brush up on your ethics. I had a lot of ethics questions. Looking at previous posts, it seems so did a lot of people.

Brush up on your ethics. I had a lot of ethics questions. Looking at previous posts, it seems so did a lot of people.

Oh yeah. I was asked about cheating. I said I would report anyone who ever cheated

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

yeah i had the cheating one too! So definitely brush up on your ethics!

Reactions: 1 users
I also was given a cheating question and kind of screwed it up. They didn't seem very happy at all with my answer and I had to do a lot of backtracking lol. I was accepted, though, so apparently it wasn't too bad. Moral of the story: make a HUGE deal out of how awful you think cheating is!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Yall, so I am from Long Island, NY, and am wondering how life is in Dothan?? How was the transition for you guys? And Are you guys satisfied with ACOM??

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be giving up my interview on the 20th of November here soon. Take it over if you'd like!

Any current students living at Summerfield Square, in a Houston possibly? How do you like it, pros and cons of living so close from school apart from the convenience?

Last edited:
I'm getting more and more excited about moving down there :). Hubby and I will probably be coming down there in May-ish to look for a house. Any recommendations appreciated!! (I think we are going to forego the on-campus apartments due to having 2 kids and needing more space).

I'm getting more and more excited about moving down there :). Hubby and I will probably be coming down there in May-ish to look for a house. Any recommendations appreciated!! (I think we are going to forego the on-campus apartments due to having 2 kids and needing more space).

I would recommend checking zillow.com for the Dothan area, there are a couple of homes in Dothan up for rent near ACOM if you are interested. I am sure more homes will open up for rent later on in the year when the 2nd years who may be moving for rotations have to leave Dothan.

Homes here are very affordable. You can rent a three bedroom house for about 650 a month and up. I was born and raised here so if you have any questions about neighborhoods of houses you are looking at I can let you know info. Feel free to message me on here at any time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome, thanks!!! I will probably have some questions when we get a little closer to summer.

Just gave up my Nov. 20th interview slot. Go get it! :)

ACCEPTED!!!! (Interviewed 11/13)

This may sound lame, but it felt good to change the 'status' on sdn.

Reactions: 15 users
first acceptance. Im in tears. (interviewed 11/13)

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted!!! Interviewed 11/6. Really liked this school -- I even looked at the apartments after my interview there!!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today as well! Very excited to get this all started

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!! My first. SO EXCITED.

Also interviewed 11/13! Happy to see some of my co-interviewees getting accepted this fine Monday as well!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to those who were accepted! :D

I wonder how long those of us interviewing on 11/20 will have to wait for an answer, what with the holiday being the following week?

ACCEPTED!!!! OMG I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!! This is my first acceptance and I'm so honored to have been given a spot at this school. I loved the faculty, program, and enjoyed meeting my fellow interviewees. I interviewed 11/6. Congrats to everyone!!!

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!!!! OMG I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!! This is my first acceptance and I'm so honored to have been given a spot at this school. I loved the faculty, program, and enjoyed meeting my fellow interviewees. I interviewed 11/6. Congrats to everyone!!!
Congrats! I hope you enjoy!

Congrats to those who were accepted! :D

I wonder how long those of us interviewing on 11/20 will have to wait for an answer, what with the holiday being the following week?

Hopefully not long....maybe they will meet early and have yours done before the holiday!!

Accepted yesterday! So excited. The school was really interesting and the staff was transparent and wanted to see students succeed. Interviewed on 11/06. Congrats to everyone else as well.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who were accepted, did you guys get the email yet or just the phone call?

For those who were accepted, did you guys get the email yet or just the phone call?

Got the phone call Monday night and the email about the deposit about an hour ago.

So here's something I wrote for someone who private messaged me..

I absolutely love my time at ACOM here so far. I actually had a few options as well, including MD schools, but ended up choosing ACOM for many reasons, the OPP being one of them. Some of our professors/teachers/physicians put it best, if you want to be a good physician, you want to choose the best DO school that will give you the most hands on experience. You wouldn't believe the stuff we can feel and touch on our bodies. This is especially in contrast to MD schools where you gain more didactic experience (relating disease to science). Their strength in contrast to ours is that they can integrate science better with diseases (therefore do more research, etc.), where as DO's can just feel the tendon, tissue, whatever and feel the illness. So that describes a difference between MD and DO, but to become the best DO physician, you need good hands training, which is what I thought ACOM did best.

Our OPP faculty and PCS faculty are some of the best across the country and especially at teaching. They make time and help to really make us understand and get better at using our hands and the fine motor skills. This past week we had our first "aha" moment so to speak. We were able to feel a whole bone move..and it isn't the way you would typically expect. "It is like moving a boat with your hands" our professor told us. If you move a boat, you won't just push as hard as you can and then expect it to move. No, you'll literally put your hands on the boat, and just hold it there. Slowly but surely it'll move on its own. It's hard to fully explain, but the way they taught it, it was amazing. One day I woke up with the worst back pain, I was so glad I was at our school because not only was my problem designed for an Osteopathic physician, but we have fellows(3rd year students who choose to stay at the school and tutor/teach/get a masters in educations/practice OPP) who were able to fix up my back and have me pain free in 30 minutes. So the way our OPP and PCS work is amazing. Our dean has started many schools and worked at many, so he knows what works and what doesn't. Our school constantly evolves and they seemed so much more organized and caring than many others I had seen.

TL;DR: Our professors have a lot of passion due to their experience of helping patients, and truly use that passion in teaching us at developing better hand skills.

Another aspect that made me love this school was the rotation sites are already established and have been rotating students for close to 10 years now. The students don't have to cold call different places hoping there is an opening. These rotation sites know how to educate and have been educating for many years. Yes, we may not be at universities and such, but honestly, in some aspects that is an advantage because I have heard of students being able to perform procedures not even allowed at other more respectable hospitals. NUMEROUS times we have heard our school is students are more prepared, mature, and dependable than the largest MD school in Alabama (UAB). This was also a reason that UAB was upset when Blue Cross Blue Shield picked ACOM to receive scholarship and financial assistance money. Going with the fact that our rotation sites across the state have been active for 10 years, the physicians and faculty at those sites know what makes a good student. They said ACOM students perform much better than other students in the past. Why? Because this school prepares you well!! - They won't even let you take the COMLEX until you show that you can pass the COMSAE exams(which the cost in included in our tuition and so the school administers it).

Lastly is the curriculum. I have friends at other schools and they have told me about their exam schedules, curriculum structure, etc. I can say ours is hands down designed to make you become a great physician. I don't know who in the world designed it, but it integrates so well between all our classes. As soon as I see the gallbladder, pancreas, and portal system in anatomy gross lab, we cover it in our molecular medicine course and can actually picture the ducts and veins that things flow through.

I am here for two years and paying 80k along the way(4 year/160k total..but last 2 years you'll be hospital based), I am going to make sure I get the best return on investment possible, and this school does that. We are even about to have our research facilities set up by next semester where we will have actual science research labs at our school. Yes, I mean actual research labs that you see in universities with post-docs, PhD's, undergrads, and all (I am referring to the equipment here..not the actual people).

So yeah you can go to a big named college, big city, and think you'll have more opportunities, but heck...you wanna become an amazing physician? No need to look further than ACOM. The city isn't distracting, the people are amazing, and the school does a fine job.

I apologize if the structure of this didn't make much sense, but I was writing whatever came to mind about our school. If anyone has an interview and does not come look at why this school is amazing, then it is your own loss. Most people are gonna be 200-300k in debt by the time all is said and done..what is another 1k in interview costs to make sure you set yourself up for the best possible route. Don't take this as I am saying we're the best..no..there are other great schools out there I am sure...but there are way more that are worse.

Reactions: 15 users

I absolutely love my time at ACOM here so far. I actually had a few options as well, including MD schools, but ended up choosing ACOM for many reasons, the OPP being one of them. Some of our professors/teachers/physicians put it best, if you want to be a good physician, you want to choose the best DO school that will give you the most hands on experience. You wouldn't believe the stuff we can feel and touch on our bodies. This is especially in contrast to MD schools where you gain more didactic experience (relating disease to science). Their strength in contrast to ours is that they can integrate science better with diseases (therefore do more research, etc.), where as DO's can just feel the tendon, tissue, whatever and feel the illness. So that describes a difference between MD and DO, but to become the best DO physician, you need good hands training, which is what I thought ACOM did best.

Our OPP faculty and PCS faculty are some of the best across the country and especially at teaching. They make time and help to really make us understand and get better at using our hands and the fine motor skills. This past week we had our first "aha" moment so to speak. We were able to feel a whole bone move..and it isn't the way you would typically expect. "It is like moving a boat with your hands" our professor told us. If you move a boat, you won't just push as hard as you can and then expect it to move. No, you'll literally put your hands on the boat, and just hold it there. Slowly but surely it'll move on its own. It's hard to fully explain, but the way they taught it, it was amazing. One day I woke up with the worst back pain, I was so glad I was at our school because not only was my problem designed for an Osteopathic physician, but we have fellows(3rd year students who choose to stay at the school and tutor/teach/get a masters in educations/practice OPP) who were able to fix up my back and have me pain free in 30 minutes. So the way our OPP and PCS work is amazing. Our dean has started many schools and worked at many, so he knows what works and what doesn't. Our school constantly evolves and they seemed so much more organized and caring than many others I had seen.

TL;DR: Our professors have a lot of passion due to their experience of helping patients, and truly use that passion in teaching us at developing better hand skills.

Another aspect that made me love this school was the rotation sites are already established and have been rotating students for close to 10 years now. The students don't have to cold call different places hoping there is an opening. These rotation sites know how to educate and have been educating for many years. Yes, we may not be at universities and such, but honestly, in some aspects that is an advantage because I have heard of students being able to perform procedures not even allowed at other more respectable hospitals. NUMEROUS times we have heard our school is students are more prepared, mature, and dependable than the largest MD school in Alabama (UAB). This was also a reason that UAB was upset when Blue Cross Blue Shield picked ACOM to receive scholarship and financial assistance money. Going with the fact that our rotation sites across the state have been active for 10 years, the physicians and faculty at those sites know what makes a good student. They said ACOM students perform much better than other students in the past. Why? Because this school prepares you well!! - They won't even let you take the COMLEX until you show that you can pass the COMSAE exams(which the cost in included in our tuition and so the school administers it).

Lastly is the curriculum. I have friends at other schools and they have told me about their exam schedules, curriculum structure, etc. I can say ours is hands down designed to make you become a great physician. I don't know who in the world designed it, but it integrates so well between all our classes. As soon as I see the gallbladder, pancreas, and portal system in anatomy gross lab, we cover it in our molecular medicine course and can actually picture the ducts and veins that things flow through.

I am here for two years and paying 80k along the way(4 year/160k total..but last 2 years you'll be hospital based), I am going to make sure I get the best return on investment possible, and this school does that. We are even about to have our research facilities set up by next semester where we will have actual science research labs at our school. Yes, I mean actual research labs that you see in universities with post-docs, PhD's, undergrads, and all (I am referring to the equipment here..not the actual people).

So yeah you can go to a big named college, big city, and think you'll have more opportunities, but heck...you wanna become an amazing physician? No need to look further than ACOM. The city isn't distracting, the people are amazing, and the school does a fine job.

I apologize if the structure of this didn't make much sense, but I was writing whatever came to mind about our school. If anyone has an interview and does not come look at why this school is amazing, then it is your own loss. Most people are gonna be 200-300k in debt by the time all is said and done..what is another 1k in interview costs to make sure you set yourself up for the best possible route. Don't take this as I am saying we're the best..no..there are other great schools out there I am sure...but there are way more that are worse.
Ipper91

great post! I had a question in regards to the third years teaching while getting their masters. I thought when I went for my interview that they mentioned that the third years who do the teaching get one year of tuition free plus their masters. Is that the case or did I misunderstand?
Thanks!!

Any current students living at Summerfield Square, in a Houston possibly? How do you like it, pros and cons of living so close from school apart from the convenience?

There is nothing like convenience. Medical school is extremely busy so its nice. Don't see any downsides

Ipper91

great post! I had a question in regards to the third years teaching while getting their masters. I thought when I went for my interview that they mentioned that the third years who do the teaching get one year of tuition free plus their masters. Is that the case or did I misunderstand?
Thanks!!
Yes. You get one year of tuition forgiven if you are chosen for the fellowship. You also receive a stipend that covers the cost of the master's degree. You have to borrow living expenses for an additional year though so some of the financial benefits are offset but I feel like the skill set and training are worth it.

I will be giving up my acceptance to ACOM. It was the first school to give me a chance and I truly loved my experience there. Congratulations to all who are accepted and best of luck to all those who are still applying/waiting to hear back!

How fast are applicants receiving II after secondaries? Is it similar with all the DO schools?

I'm interviewing in December. Is it likely I'll be waitlisted since December is so late?

Interviewed 11/20, so based on previous posts...hoping to hear something today!

Interviewed 11/20, so based on previous posts...hoping to hear something today!

I also interviewed on 11/20. They said this week they were going to meet and discuss the interviewees. But unfortunately the Dean is out of town and won't be back until next week and he will make the final decisions and call by mid-week next week.

Oh! Ok, so we won't hear until after Thanksgiving then I guess.