Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many exams are there per semester?

Btw, is the mandatory attendance policy still in place?

Number of exams vary by the course. Your first semester will have molecular medicine and anatomy which will have 5 exams each. OPP, PCS and Foundations are 3 exams each. When you're in systems, it is usually 3 exams and 2 for the smaller system classes.

Yes, 80% mandatory lectures are still in place. Its not going change anytime soon so I would come to ACOM knowing that you will have to attend 80% of your classes, which honestly is not bad since we have DSAs that are basically classes done at your own time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
3 questions per lecture for the main courses and 5 per for PCS, OPP and Foundations courses since there are less lectures from them. Every exam is multiple choice, even anatomy lab practicals.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. What have you been doing to strengthen your app since getting on the wait-list?
To be honest I haven't done anything different. I work all the time and volunteer when I can at a health clinic. It seems like the last lot of acceptances were from the 2/12 interview on here and so think the class is pretty full.

To be honest I haven't done anything different. I work all the time and volunteer when I can at a health clinic. It seems like the last lot of acceptances were from the 2/12 interview on here and so think the class is pretty full.
I was in that 2/12 interview. It's weird because at the interview they said they we're about 60% full. Have you shadowed a DO? I called them actually and they said if I do that, it will increase my chances of getting accepted off of the wait-list. I have been scrambling to find a DO where I live that will let me do that in time.

I was in that 2/12 interview. It's weird because at the interview they said they we're about 60% full. Have you shadowed a DO? I called them actually and they said if I do that, it will increase my chances of getting accepted off of the wait-list. I have been scrambling to find a DO where I live that will let me do that in time.

They might be getting extra picky near the end and want to get the very best fit applicants. (I'm hoping to be on that list of acceptances. ) Good luck finding a DO to give you some extra OMM knowledge. I kinda don't understand why the profession is not as saturated with DOs for what extra they bring to the table.

Reactions: 1 user
They might be getting extra picky near the end and want to get the very best fit applicants. (I'm hoping to be on that list of acceptances. ) Good luck finding a DO to give you some extra OMM knowledge. I kinda don't understand why the profession is not as saturated with DOs for what extra they bring to the table.

Thanks. I found a site that links you to doctor mentors to allow you to shadow if you request. There were actually 22 DO's in my surrounding area. I messaged all 22 so I'm hoping something good happens. And to your OMM point: I think it depends on the specialty. Most family meds and orthopedic docs we're DO, and most Internal Med and OBGYNs we're MD. Not that surprising when you consider what OMM brings to ortho and what the DO philosophy brings to primary care.

Did ACOM have their first class matching to residencies this year or is that next year? I was hoping to see a match list

Sent from my XT1585 using SDN mobile

This next year they will have their first 4th year class if I am not mistaken. I'm interested to see it as well.

Interview Invite today! My first II... better late than never I suppose. The only date available was April 22nd.

Reactions: 6 users
March 18th folks,
Has anyone heard anything? I thought they were going to send accept/reject notices prior to spring break, i.e. March 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
March 18th folks,
Has anyone heard anything? I thought they were going to send accept/reject notices prior to spring break, i.e. March 25.

Not yet. I'm viewing this as an exercise in patience.

Were there any interview dates post-April 22? (even if they were all full?)
No April 22nd was the last date, but it's possible they will be adding more dates later I imagine. Last year they interviewed through May.

Is there a way to confirm whether or not all parts of our matriculation packet has been received through the acom portal?

Congrats!!! That's amazing! All of us still on the wait list are very envious ;)
Did you do anything special? Or they just called you?
Thank you so much I am ecstatic about it, it was my top choice. I didn't do anything special just stayed positive and after a couple of weeks got the phone call. I have many friends who are in medical school that were waitlisted so I think that helped to stay positive. I interviewed late and apparently with that territory waitlists are super common. Don't give up guys your acceptances are right round the corner. :luck:

Reactions: 8 users
To anyone who emailed a waitlist update letter to admissions, did you receive a reply back confirming they added it to your file?

I think he's just referring to things he's done since his placement on the waitlist.

Has anyone who interviewed March 18th heard back yet!? Anxiously waiting :)

I think he's just referring to things he's done since his placement on the waitlist.
Yeah that's what I meant, did anyone get a response back if they emailed an LOI? I was thinking of calling them to make sure my LOI was added to my file but at the same time I'm scared I'll come off as annoying.

Yeah that's what I meant, did anyone get a response back if they emailed an LOI? I was thinking of calling them to make sure my LOI was added to my file but at the same time I'm scared I'll come off as annoying.
If probably email and again express my interest and update them on anything new.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

When I sent an LOI I didn't get a response but I verified by phone. ACOM has told me multiple times keep calling every couple weeks to check on the status of my application and the wait list. They don't think it's annoying they prefer it actually- it's shows you are really interested.

Reactions: 1 users
SOoooo looking at the kit and contemplating stethoscopes and trying to not get overly excited yet... lol.

How many are getting the Master Cardiology? Getting your name on it (including Dr. ____ or ____ D.O.?)

SOoooo looking at the kit and contemplating stethoscopes and trying to not get overly excited yet... lol.

How many are getting the Master Cardiology? Getting your name on it (including Dr. ____ or ____ D.O.?)

My wife actually got me a stethoscope for Christmas, but I think I am going to get the Master Cardiology still (with my name engraved). Why have just one!! Especially at the price they are offering...

I have heard great things about the Harvey Elite that they are offering at base price. Im probably going to stick with that one until I graduate. Also, I probably won't engrave Dr/DO on it until that time either.

I have heard great things about the Harvey Elite that they are offering at base price. Im probably going to stick with that one until I graduate. Also, I probably won't engrave Dr/DO on it until that time either.

Nice avatar.

My wife actually got me a stethoscope for Christmas, but I think I am going to get the Master Cardiology still (with my name engraved). Why have just one!! Especially at the price they are offering...
My co-workers got me a littman II as a going away present as well but I agree these prices are actually really good so why not. The MC has best reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I work as a critical care nurse and will be starting at ACOM in the fall. I've used the master cardiology for a few years now and I love it. It is not a traditional stethoscope in that it doesn't have a separate bell and diaphragm. Once you master the techniques of light pressure for low frequency sounds and firm pressure for high frequency sounds and can tell the difference between the two, I honestly believe the master cardiology is the best stethoscope on the market and I will probably get another one in our kit just to have a spare.

Nice avatar.

tumblr_n36cz9k31m1twc22ho1_1280.jpg