Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the interest compound while in Med school or does it only begin to compound once you graduate? I've heard conflicting things on this
It compounds these days. You used to could get a mix of subsidized and unsub, but now it's all unsubsidized for med school.

Members don't see this ad.

It compounds these days. You used to could get a mix of subsidized and unsub, but now it's all unsubsidized for med school.

Yeah I know the unsubsidized compounds but I'm wondering When it compounds. Some people have said it begins annually following the first dispersement while others have said it only starts to compound once you graduate

Yeah I know the unsubsidized compounds but I'm wondering When it compounds. Some people have said it begins annually following the first dispersement while others have said it only starts to compound once you graduate
As soon as disbursed. They keep a percentage of it as well. It tells you all the details in the acceptance hoops you have to jump through. After they get your fafsa ACOM will send you and email with the online acceptance things.

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as disbursed. They keep a percentage of it as well. It tells you all the details in the acceptance hoops you have to jump through. After they get your fafsa ACOM will send you and email with the online acceptance things.

Actually I'm not so sure about that. I read the fine print. Interest begins to accrue immediately but it looks like it doesn't start to capitalize/compound (interest begins to accrue on the interest+principal) until the loan enters repayment, which would be once you graduate. Just looking for a current student to confirm this

Actually I'm not so sure about that. I read the fine print. Interest begins to accrue immediately but it looks like it doesn't start to capitalize/compound (interest begins to accrue on the interest+principal) until the loan enters repayment, which would be once you graduate. Just looking for a current student to confirm this
I looked it up on my current lender's site, as MOHELA has some decent FAQs.

Federal Grad Plus Loans

"You have the option of making interest payments while in school or we will add any unpaid interest during the in school period to the principal balance at the start of repayment (capitalization). Repayment begins 30 days after loan amount is dispersed but can be delayed with an in school deferment. "

So it would appear you are correct in that it isn't capitalized until after you are no longer in deferment. Perhaps someone can confirm this,

But then either way doesn't matter much unless you have another option. Good catch though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys! I did completely forget about audition rotations and interviews for 4th year. I still haven't received any email about my reward package but I'll give them a call on Monday to see what's happening.

<2 months guys & girls!

Reactions: 1 user
How do people do housing in 3rd and 4th year during rotations?

Because I don't want to study right now for my impending doom on Tuesday, I wanted to encourage those of you who are still on the waitlist. I was in your shoes last year, came home from the interview in May and got the email that I was waitlisted. I thought, oh great another year of scribing. However, one faithful day in July, I got a call from Reynolds saying that I was accepted. Do realize that the third week of July is orientation week, so you can imagine how late they pull people from the waitlist. My advice is this, go and do something you love outside of medicine and let fate take over because if you want to stay competitive in med school, you'll never have an ounce of free time again.

Reactions: 5 users
We are all doomed. I'm resubmitting my application.

We are all doomed. I'm resubmitting my application.
From what I've heard they take a lot of students later from the list, so ur prob not doomed yet, but I don't see anything wrong with resubmitting. Definitely keep them posted on anything you've done to improve your app.

Oh and still best of luck to you all!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I spoke to the admissions people and they said wait until at least the second week of June before resubmitting. They are still going through slowly but surely and that is when a significant amount of movement has finally been done.
So hold on to the hope! Prep your app but wait a couple more weeks!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to the admissions people and they said wait until at least the second week of June before resubmitting. They are still going through slowly but surely and that is when a significant amount of movement has finally been done.
So hold on to the hope! Prep your app but wait a couple more weeks!
So I guess 99% of the seats will be filled by the second week of June. After this, we shouldn't have any hope unless someone drops out in the last minute.

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my seat a few minutes ago, I hope it goes to one of you guys! Also have a deposit down on a 1 bedroom at Highland Hills if someone wants to snag it.

According to last year's thread, it was the first Thursday and Friday of June that people were added from the wait list. This means tomorrow could be a great day for some of us. At least I'm hoping.

Reactions: 3 users
I keep getting notifications when you guys post and I keep hoping it's an acceptance for you guys. Crossing my fingers!! Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Nobody on the wait list has heard anything, I suppose? :(
I mean, interviews are finished and several people just here on SDN alone have withdrawn. I suppose there has to be at least some waitlst movement right? Maybe next week...

I was expecting movement in first week of May since that's what they told me. I'm putting my plans on hold because of this wait. I thought that AACOMAS May 15 rule would speed things up substantially.
--> May 15: DO schools know who got multiple acceptances. Ask if those with multiple acceptances plan to attend their school. Give 15 days to respond. If no response, rescind offer.
--> May 30: They should know who will definitely attend and who won't.
I'll resubmit if I don't hear by Friday June 10 the latest. So frustrating.

I suppose it's possible that all of us in this SDN thread were all skipped over in the wait list movement, at least for now. Does anyone know if any has indeed taken place today?

I was expecting movement in first week of May since that's what they told me. I'm putting my plans on hold because of this wait. I thought that AACOMAS May 15 rule would speed things up substantially.
--> May 15: DO schools know who got multiple acceptances. Ask if those with multiple acceptances plan to attend their school. Give 15 days to respond. If no response, rescind offer.
--> May 30: They should know who will definitely attend and who won't.
I'll resubmit if I don't hear by Friday June 10 the latest. So frustrating.
Keep in mind that our semester just ended. The administration is currently dealing with finalizing grades, handling remediation (if necessary), COMSAE practice board exams, dealing with OMSII heading to clinicals etc. I know it is stressful and everyone wants to know something right now but I promise they will be getting to the waitlist soon and will pull from it until the very last day before classes start if they have to.
Hang in there.
Byron

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have any idea how many seats have been filled by this time?

Question for current students:
1 Does ACOM offer any type of institutional funding (merit, need based, or just random scholarships) that is provided directly from the school and not from an outside company or scholarship fund?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea how many seats have been filled by this time?
In last year's thread someone mentioned that they typically take 30-35 people off the wait list, and the class size is 162. I suppose we can estimate that 132-137 seats will be filled by the time any major wait list movement happens.

I've been watching this thread recently, and was wondering, for those of you who are anxiously waiting to get off the waitlist, have you been accepted somewhere else and just have a preference for ACOM?

I've been watching this thread recently, and was wondering, for those of you who are anxiously waiting to get off the waitlist, have you been accepted somewhere else and just have a preference for ACOM?
I haven't been accepted anywhere else. I really loved ACOM out of the schools that I interviewed at, so I would be stressing either way.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't been accepted anywhere else. I really loved ACOM out of the schools that I interviewed at, so I would be stressing either way.
Same here...

Do you think the majority of movement will finish by second week of June (end of this week)?

Same here...

Do you think the majority of movement will finish by second week of June (end of this week)?

I hope, for all of our sake, that most of it happens this week. Once it starts, I think within 2 weeks the majority will be done. However, looking back at the wait list decision email, it says:

Remain encouraged that our WAIT LIST is a living document filled with qualified students, any of whom can gain ACCEPTANCE into the Alabama College of Osteopathic medicine between now and August of 2016.

This could mean that we may be in for a long wait... Let's just hope it begins this week.

Same here...

Yes, it's likely that the majority of movement happens soon when students need to make decisions on which acceptance to stick with - however the process could trickle on into orientation week (late July) with a few spots. For the odd student that drops out 1st week of class they will say August, but that's not likely.

There have been tons of waitlist movements at other schools. Hopefully we'll get called tomorrow!

Last edited:
It's second week of June. I'll resubmit my app today.
sigh

Last edited:
Has anyone on the thread heard anything toady?

Honestly kind of surprised that only one person from SDN has been added off the waitlist and we're 10 days into June. Maybe more were added but they aren't SDNers. I am hoping that they are just taking their time.

Honestly kind of surprised that only one person from SDN has been added off the waitlist and we're 10 days into June. Maybe more were added but they aren't SDNers. I am hoping that they are just taking their time.

A couple of new people have popped up on the ACOM Facebook page as well.

Best of Luck to those on SDN still waiting, I'm rooting for you!

Is there an overall less wait list movement this year compared to previous years?

Is there an overall less wait list movement this year compared to previous years?
As the school reputation improves and we get closer to the combined residency program I believe that more people are willing to keep their place. The first two years it was a new school with no track record so there was more movement. Hang in there. They will pull up to the first day of classes if they need to.

For those on the waitlist: I'm waiting for a few schools that I'm on a waitlist for, so don't lose faith. If I hear back from one of those schools I'll be giving up my seat at ACOM, and it could very well go to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users