Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview schedule on 8/14! flying from Cali! I noticed there are so many interview spots open, did they not hand out a lot II this year?

Members don't see this ad.

interview schedule on 8/14! flying from Cali! I noticed there are so many interview spots open, did they not hand out a lot II this year?
this thread seems to be blowing up with II's

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the complete email did you guys find out about II's? I got the email on 8/6

I am an OMS I and will do my best to answer questions

If you don't mind me asking, I've noticed between different threads that the attendance policy is not "as strict" in enforcement. Can you comment on this? Can you get away with technically only going to class sometimes or is there strict enforcement of the 80% attendance policy? I ask only because I am a more self directed learner then learning in class.

How are you classmates? Is there any gunner mentality between your classmates?
Thanks!

Other then attendance policy, this is an amazing school !

If you don't mind me asking, I've noticed between different threads that the attendance policy is not "as strict" in enforcement. Can you comment on this? Can you get away with technically only going to class sometimes or is there strict enforcement of the 80% attendance policy? I ask only because I am a more self directed learner then learning in class.

How are you classmates? Is there any gunner mentality between your classmates?
Thanks!

Other then attendance policy, this is an amazing school !

The attendance policy is pretty strict. We have to attend 80% of the non-mandatory lectures and have to attend all of the mandatory events. We are responsible for checking in during class through an online portal. At the end of a class (or semester for fall of OMS I) they calculate our attendance and if we go under 80% we get penalized in our grade. Honestly lectures are not bad, they are very engaging. I find that I get a lot out of the lectures, especially when you have the opportunity to ask questions.

. I basically stopped looking at schools after I found ACOM. The family atmosphere is amazing. The faculty are very accommodating and genuinely want to to succeed. As for my classmates they couldn't be better. We are all about helping each other. I can't tell you how many study guides, flash cards, videos, concept maps, ect. Have been passed around between my class. The OMS II are great as well. They are always willing to give advice and help you out. We are pretty lucky since there are no true gunners in our class.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea! We have a good number of nontraditional students.
could you briefly outline their interview process? panel or one on one? open file/closed file? housing options around campus, rent rate?

could you briefly outline their interview process? panel or one on one? open file/closed file? housing options around campus, rent rate?
gonna barge in :)

interviews are generally 2 on 1, open file.

i recommend summerfield square, the on-campus housing where most students live (3 minute walk from campus)
http://www.acomedu.org/housing/
click on the floor plans for the rent rates
the current studio rate is actually $699/month, but not sure if that's a temporary discount for this year.

there's also students who live a little further away-
magnolia preserve- http://www.pegasusresidential.com/magnolia-preserve-dothan-al
highland hills- http://www.highlandhillsapartmenthomes.com/index.html

Reactions: 1 users
The interview day is really great. You have a tour and a couple faculty members come talk with you. You will have an interview with 2 faculty members and it is a open file interview. You also have lunch with current students.

Housing in the area is very diverse. There are a good number of students that live in houses or apartments on the other side of the circle while there is another good number that live at Summerfield Square (I totally recommend living there). SQ is the complex that is "on campus". I live here and have absolutely loved it. There are 1 and 2 bed units along with studios. The rates are all inclusive and worth every penny (plus you save gas money when you walk to campus). I have a roommate and we pay <$600 a month/ea (includes cable, electric, water, sewage, trash, ect.)

@miere Are there opportunities for students to participate in research? Is it encouraged there? From their website, I see that they have opened up a research facility, but I did not find anything in regards to student research.

Members don't see this ad :)
what EC opportunities does ACOM offer?

also, i saw the following on the ACOM website
"ACOM delivers a hybrid curriculum model utilizing discipline and system-based clinical presentation approaches in the pre-clinical years. The curriculum presents core concept knowledge in the traditional discipline manner followed by student-centered teaching and learning by way of patient-centered, clinical presentation/system-based integrated courses. The pre-clinical curriculum utilizes a blend of instruction methodologies with interactive lectures, basic sciences correlation sessions, clinical integration sessions, labs, small groups, simulations, designated student assignments, and online and interactive instruction. The blended methodologies provide opportunities for engaged learning, formative assessment and deliberate practice of clinical reasoning."
does this basically mean the first 2 years is hybrid of big lecture halls and small group PBL

Sorry for the delay, 2nd years had an exam this morning hence why I was offline for a few days. What EC opporutnities are you looking for?

As for the curriculum, yes it is a mix between big lectures, small group discussion, TBL, and at home assignments.

Are there any current ACOM students I can PM about the school?

I am an OMS2, I will be glad to assist you if you have question

@miere Are there opportunities for students to participate in research? Is it encouraged there? From their website, I see that they have opened up a research facility, but I did not find anything in regards to student research.

Are there any current ACOM students I can PM about the school?

I am an OMS2, I will be glad to assist you if you have questions.

Since we are a new school, our research is not as established as with other schools. Most of the research done at ACOM is done "out of house". Students have completed research and will be presenting their research at upcoming conferences. It is encouraged to participate in research but definitely not mandatory to complete.

Sorry for the delay, 2nd years had an exam this morning hence why I was offline for a few days. What EC opporutnities are you looking for?

As for the curriculum, yes it is a mix between big lectures, small group discussion, TBL, and at home assignments.
interested in community outreach, such as free clinics and tutoring youth

interested in community outreach, such as free clinics and tutoring youth

ACOM is very involved in the community outreach aspect of medical school. Most of our organizations do community outreach regularly in Dothan. You can also set up your own personal outreach program with any group in Dothan. On the free clinic side there is very little that I know of. I do know our OPP department is getting a clinic together so that we can help patients in the community using OMT but that is the closest clinic plan I can think of at the moment.

I've been complete since the 30th but no rejection, hold notice or II

Did you guys get an actual complete email? The only correspondence that I have received since paying for and submitting my secondary was the following:

"Your Supplemental application has been received. Thank you for your continued interest and quick response. You will be notified in subsequent email reminders if your application is missing any requirements. All completed files are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review weekly. You will be notified by ACOM if you are selected for an on-campus interview" email?

I got that email almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since then. I checked my self-service portal and it just says SupAppRecd-with Fee / 7/31/2015.
Just trying to figure out if I should send an email out or not.

Did you guys get an actual complete email? The only correspondence that I have received since paying for and submitting my secondary was the following:

"Your Supplemental application has been received. Thank you for your continued interest and quick response. You will be notified in subsequent email reminders if your application is missing any requirements. All completed files are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review weekly. You will be notified by ACOM if you are selected for an on-campus interview" email?

I got that email almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since then. I checked my self-service portal and it just says SupAppRecd-with Fee / 7/31/2015.
Just trying to figure out if I should send an email out or not.
I got that email and another one a couple of days later saying that my application is complete and has been sent to the committee for review.

Interview invite just now!!! :clap: complete last week, very quick turnaround !

II as well! WOOT WOOT!!

Side note: Anyone remember what our login credentials were? Having trouble signing in to schedule....

EDIT: Nevermind, IT saved the day

Last edited by a moderator:
II as well! WOOT WOOT!!

Side note: Anyone remember what our login credentials were? Having trouble signing in to schedule....

EDIT: Nevermind, IT saved the day
Same here. What did the IT say?? Did you email them or called them?

EDIT: Nevermind. They just replied my email!

Complete 8/6 as well. Signed up for Sept. 4th, hope to see some SDNers there!

For anyone still waiting on an II, do not stress. There are a **** ton of interview spots open

I just signed up for my interview on September 25. So excited about this school! Also, new to SDN ;)

Do you guys think I should move my interview earlier? My husband and I are both on vacation the week of September 25, which is why I chose it...that won't be "late" will it??

II this morning. Signed up for 8/28.

upload_2015-8-12_15-58-14.jpeg

Which email had our login credentials?

Any interview tips from those who have successfully managed to matriculate here? Looks like an awesome school and program!

Complete 8/6 as well. Signed up for Sept. 4th, hope to see some SDNers there!

For anyone still waiting on an II, do not stress. There are a **** ton of interview spots open
I'll see you there on the 4th

Any interview tips from those who have successfully managed to matriculate here? Looks like an awesome school and program!

Know your application, know why you want to go into medicine, and specifically why DO. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Last edited:
Just got to Dothan!!! not sure what I should do now, should i go visit ACOM? :rolleyes::banana:

or anyone wants to grab lunch/dinner and practice interview?

Be yourself! I know it is cliche but all they want to see is who you really are!

I'm a recent SDN lurker, but just in case any other underdogs are out there right now, questioning their sanity as they spend $$$ on apps, there is definitely hope! I received a II here and my stats are less than stellar. Don't ever give up, we'll all make it through somehow :)

In case anyone wanted to know my timeline:

Secondary Submitted: 7/22/15
Secondary Complete: 7/28/15
II email: 8/3/15
LizzyM: 61

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
how do you know if your app is completed and nothing is missing???

For those of you who interviewed today, congrats, you're done- now it's just the wait!! And how was it?!

For those of you who interviewed today, congrats, you're done- now it's just the wait!! And how was it?!
It was very chill! I enjoyed my interview quite a bit. This interview was very cool and the docs I interviewed with were VERY cool. I'm glad my application was considered and I can honestly say that interviewing well and being able to communicate with numerous people is a skill that takes practice and I'm glad that I went and I can keep going on and on.

BTW... that was a HUGEEE run on sentence but IDC. lol good luck everybody else.

Reactions: 2 users
It was very chill! I enjoyed my interview quite a bit. This interview was very cool and the docs I interviewed with were VERY cool. I'm glad my application was considered and I can honestly say that interviewing well and being able to communicate with numerous people is a skill that takes practice and I'm glad that I went and I can keep going on and on.

BTW... that was a HUGEEE run on sentence but IDC. lol good luck everybody else.

So did you go just for practice or are you actually considering attending? Haha