Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean in my honest opinion it would be silly to not go to an interview if you were a) invited, b) can afford it, and c) want to travel a bit. I want to see what this school has to offer and see how I liked the setting and if I could picture myself at the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For the secondary...are they requesting current employment and volunteering activities or past (during college)??

thanks!

I am also a first year at ACOM and wanted to give my list of pros and cons. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pros:
-Clinical rotations. ACOM is as good as it gets with respect to clinical rotations, and they are always trying to expand more sites into the tri-state area (AL,FL,GA). Theyve been working on the sites well before the first class enrolled and it is paying off. ACOM has first dibs on rotation spots in AL.
-Curriculum and professors. I can already tell that the format the first two years for classses and our professors are top notch. Its well thought out.
-Location. While Dothan is not a huge city, it has everything you need. It doesn't destract you from studies, but is close to places like Panama City Beach and ATL.
-Student body. Everyone is helpful, including the 2nd years. Makes for a relaxing atmosphere since there doesn't appear to be any gunner problems.

Cons:
-MANDATORY ATTENDANCE. In just the first week alone, we had so much time to study taken away by having to sit in lecture. I do not do well with lecture and prefer to study alone but I have zero say in the manner since this is the first class theyre going to actually crack the mandatory attendance whip on. 80% of non-mandatory flagged lectures and 100% everything else (small group, IS, labs, mandatory tagged lecture) There are online lectures (DSAs) that are supposed to lighten the time in class, but its still far too much time in lecture. If you learn like me, I highly recommend thinking twice about ACOM if youre also accepted to school without mandatory attendance.
-Newer school
-House rental market is weak (but on campus apartments are solid for single students)

TL;DR: ACOM is awesome! Come here unless you hate attending lectures.
is it fail/pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
My flight back to California is cancelled-_-... Stuck at Atlanta.

Interview was laid-back(which can be a good or bad thing because you don't know how you did). Dr. Hayes was so passionate and awesome about OMT, I was about lie on the table and let him demonstrate on me. we hear back in 7-10 days.

Faculty was friendly, housing looks awesome, school seems perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users

Interview was laid-back(which can be a good or bad thing because you don't know how you did). Dr. Hass was so passionate and awesome about OMT, I was about lie on the table and let him demonstrate on me. This school is awesome! we hear back in 7-10 days.
would you be able to answer my question: For the secondary...are they requesting current employment and volunteering activities or past (during college)??

thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
It was very chill! I enjoyed my interview quite a bit. This interview was very cool and the docs I interviewed with were VERY cool. I'm glad my application was considered and I can honestly say that interviewing well and being able to communicate with numerous people is a skill that takes practice and I'm glad that I went and I can keep going on and on.

BTW... that was a HUGEEE run on sentence but IDC. lol good luck everybody else.
what's the weather like? did you sweat through your suit?

Interview was laid-back(which can be a good or bad thing because you don't know how you did). Dr. Hass was so passionate and awesome about OMT, I was about lie on the table and let him demonstrate on me. This school is awesome! we hear back in 7-10 days.
what is there do on the ATL layovers? the airport map looks scary. that place is huge

I don't remember but I think I put down both

Edited: I did put down both past and current.

would you be able to answer my question: For the secondary...are they requesting current employment and volunteering activities or past (during college)??

thanks!

Lol! It takes about a 25 minutes walk to get your luggage if you don't take the train. And another 15 minutes trying to figure out where the heck the car rental place is(gotta find the sky train).

what is there do on the ATL layovers? the airport map looks scary. that place is huge

Lol! It takes about a 25 minutes walk to get your luggage if you don't take the train. And another 15 minutes trying to figure out where the heck the car rental place is(gotta find the sky train).
Hey I just finised my application. After paying and then uploading my PDF file it brought me to "student self service." It makes no mention of the application successfully going through. Is this normal???

It should have gone through, check your card tomorrow just in case. And check your spam/junk mail for ACOM undeliverable emails these few days. These emails will include your ACOM credentials.

Hey I just finised my application. After paying and then uploading my PDF file it brought me to "student self service." It makes no mention of the application successfully going through. Is this normal???

I mean in my honest opinion it would be silly to not go to an interview if you were a) invited, b) can afford it, and c) want to travel a bit. I want to see what this school has to offer and see how I liked the setting and if I could picture myself at the school.

Just curious since you had posted earlier questioning if you were going to attend to begin with

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview day was very chill and very enjoyable, crazy how many of us SDNers were there at the same time and didn't even realize it! I was the one in the blue suit with a cold lol

Interview day was very chill and very enjoyable, crazy how many of us SDNers were there at the same time and didn't even realize it! I was the one in the blue suit with a cold lol
Glad you had a chill interview. Did they ask the typical med questions like why do? Why our school ? Etc.. Were there any ethical questions?

THERE'S A FRIGGIN TRAIN?? LIKE WITH RAILS & $#!T??

Is anyone still waiting for the login credential email?? The last email I got from them was "supplemental received" on 8/04...
been checking my spam folder as well. :-/

It's A/B/C/F for the first 2 years, I think 3rd and 4th year clerkships are Pass / Fail.
do you feel like the environment would be less competitive if it were pass/fail for the first 2 years?

Just curious since you had posted earlier questioning if you were going to attend to begin with

Yeah and then I decided to. Plus, the food and little goodies and fancy folders they give you are cool little souvenirs to bring back home lol

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone still waiting for the login credential email?? The last email I got from them was "supplemental received" on 8/04...
been checking my spam folder as well. :-/
how long did it take you to get supplemental received email?

how was the grub

It was alright. They had plenty of options like pizza slices and pasta and burgers and sandwiches. You fill out a piece of paper in the beginning with what stuff you want and what you want it. I had a heavy breakfast at the hotel I was staying at so I ordered some chicken thingamjig with random stuff in it. Sadly there was no chipotle in Dothan... OH MY GAWDDDD I LOVE CHIPOTLAAAYYYYY... CHIPOTLAYYY'SSS MYYYY LIIIFFFEEEE :rofl:

how long did it take you to get supplemental received email?
I got the "received" email 2 days after submitting the supplemental. Still waiting on the login credential /app complete email

do you feel like the environment would be less competitive if it were pass/fail for the first 2 years?

Honestly, I don't. It doesn't feel very competitive now with letter grades, and I'd say most everyone is open to sharing resources with everyone else if they think it will help them do better.

It was alright. They had plenty of options like pizza slices and pasta and burgers and sandwiches. You fill out a piece of paper in the beginning with what stuff you want and what you want it. I had a heavy breakfast at the hotel I was staying at so I ordered some chicken thingamjig with random stuff in it. Sadly there was no chipotle in Dothan... OH MY GAWDDDD I LOVE CHIPOTLAAAYYYYY... CHIPOTLAYYY'SSS MYYYY LIIIFFFEEEE :rofl:
Dang i was hoping for a buffet. I feel like I could eat all of those options

It was a good interview day and very relaxed, the current students were very friendly, and the whole towns loves you to pieces even if your just interviewing.
Good luck to all that interviewed, let the waiting begin.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed on 8/14!! I am hoping that all of us will hear a good news by end of this week!

I just got an email from them saying they are missing required documents from me but when I check my status it looks like they have everything... I'll call them later but did anyone else get this email?

you should call them.

i was notified of missing recommendations.....

The committee meets the following week and decision could go out by friday. It is a pretty quick turn around. Speaking of quick CUSOM tells you the very same week you interview.

The committee meets the following week and decision could go out by friday. It is a pretty quick turn around. Speaking of quick CUSOM tells you the very same week you interview.

That's incredible. Love the efficiency!

Hi all, I will be cancelling my interview for this Friday. If anyone wants to jump on it - keep an eye out for an open slot tonight.

Hello everyone, I have lived in Dothan my entire life. If you have any questions about the area just ask and hopefully I can help. I submitted my supplemental application today and anxious for the invite.

Hello everyone, I have lived in Dothan my entire life. If you have any questions about the area just ask and hopefully I can help. I submitted my supplemental application today and anxious for the invite.

What is there to do, outdoors wise, in the surrounding area? Hiking, rivers, running trails?

What is there to do, outdoors wise, in the surrounding area? Hiking, rivers, running trails?
Westgate park and Troy university Dothan campus both have running and biking trails. There are shorter nature trails at the botanical garden on 431 North.
the main two rivers around here are the Choctawhatchee and Chattahoochee . The Chattahoochee is the most popular because it has a huge dam that forms Lake Eufaula. We have a place at the lake and spend most of our free time up there in the summer fishing and boating. There is really a lot to do here, outdoors wise anyway. Panama City Beach is only one hour south. Eufaula is 45 min North. If your into hunting there are two management areas that are free to the public, I have only been once to each of them though. I mostly hunt on my property.

So guys, I know I should know this but.... what do we wear to the interview?? ...a suit? business casual and a tie....? what is everyone else wearing

Ah I've got another one for ya. Best hotel to stay at for interview day?

Ah I've got another one for ya. Best hotel to stay at for interview day?

I stayed at Super 8 because I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money and it was fine. Free breakfast. About ten minutes from the school, maybe less. Was quiet when I was there

giphy.gif

Will be landing in ATL tomorrow and driving down. Anyone going to be in Dothan and want to grab some dinner, possibly go over some interview questions? A bit nervous for my first interview and not too sure what to be expecting

Will be landing in ATL tomorrow and driving down. Anyone going to be in Dothan and want to grab some dinner, possibly go over some interview questions? A bit nervous for my first interview and not too sure what to be expecting

Same here, I might be down for dinner !