Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post interview rejection this morning. I was super excited about acom so this is pretty disappointing,

Members don't see this ad.

Post interview rejection this morning. I was super excited about acom so this is pretty disappointing,
How do you think the interview went? I'm sorry about the rejection. I'm sure you'll find some schools that love you!

Reactions: 1 users
So even though the school website says the interview will be from 9am-3pm, we are actually done before noon?
No. When I interviewed, the day ended at around 3:30pm. But, I did go to the first interview date, so they may have changed the layout of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted.... I felt like they wanted me to mention OMT more (just my thoughts immediately following my interview)

Email said "remain encouraged" because the waitlists movement the next few months but I don't really feel there is much chance of moving to acceptance with ACOM at this point.

Guess I gotta nail these next few interviews.

How do you think the interview went? I'm sorry about the rejection. I'm sure you'll find some schools that love you!

I thought the interview went well. I'm going to ask admissions for feedback.

So even though the school website says the interview will be from 9am-3pm, we are actually done before noon?

Like a poster said above, the day actually ended up going a little past 3:30 PM. We got held up with some of the presentations and then the interviews took a little more time as well. good luck!

what are you stats if you don't mind sharing

3.72 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, CA resident, 505 MCAT

Just going off what I saw he'd posted in other threads. There must be something in his app that he is not telling us about (like a plagiarism or cheating violation) or he simply just didn't do well at the interview. Either way I'm sorry for him. I hope something good happens to you this cycle buzz!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. He sure has some nice stats! Like Alonzo said, there may be something off with his app or the interview didn't go as well as he'd hoped. Its okay! Keep ur head up @Buzzlightyear33 !

3.72 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, CA resident, 505 MCAT

Just going off what I saw he'd posted in other threads. There must be something in his app that he is not telling us about (like a plagiarism or cheating violation) or he simply just didn't do well at the interview. Either way I'm sorry for him. I hope something good happens to you this cycle buzz!
Those stats are correct and thank you sir.

I just checked on my status through the portal and it turns out two of my three letters went through on interfolio, but one is showing up as incomplete! It's weird because I didn't have this problem at my other schools. Did anyone else's letters update separately? I'm trying to get a hold of them, but haven't been able to through phone.

I just checked on my status through the portal and it turns out two of my three letters went through on interfolio, but one is showing up as incomplete! It's weird because I didn't have this problem at my other schools. Did anyone else's letters update separately? I'm trying to get a hold of them, but haven't been able to through phone.
I had the same issue! They told me that one of my letters needed a signature from the physician I shadowed, so I just sent another letter with the signature and everything was fine within a few days :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no, that's probably what happened! I told my professors this, but maybe one forgot. Looks like I'm going to be tracking them down.

I'm still waiting, but my application was only verified last week

Just made an account to let people who interviewed the 21st of august...

Just got the call from Dr.Renolds :] Accepted!!! Gl to the rest, had a great group of people with me

Reactions: 6 users
Received the accepted phone call today and interviewed on the 21st as well!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got accepted!!!! Yeeee!!! Was not expecting a decision so soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! ACOM is a great school, y'all should be proud! Can't wait to welcome y'all to campus as c/o 2020!

So humbled and excited to be accepted by ACOM! I interviewed 8/21/15 as well, hope to see some of you next year :)

Reactions: 2 users
Holy cow!! To those accepted, what was your interview like? Congrats!!!! Hahaha I bet that's a wave of relief.

Holy cow!! To those accepted, what was your interview like? Congrats!!!! Hahaha I bet that's a wave of relief.
Thank you! I am so grateful to have been accepted. I am a very shy person and don't feel that I interview well so this is truly a blessing for me! The interview was very relaxed. They genuinely seemed interested in getting to know me. They didn't try any tricky questions or back me into a corner like I've heard some interviewers can do.

Also for those accepted have you received an email yet? Im so bummed I missed the call so heard it over voicemail.

I also interviewed on the 21st but didn't hear back on a decision either way today.

Interview was very informative in the begging. It gives you a chance to write down notes on how you can maybe tailor some of your answers in with your own experiences during the interview.

Afterwards you go upstairs to mingle with M1 and M2 students and other colleagues who are their to interview. This is when they bring people back to get interviewed. 2:1 interviews, very relaxed and they make sure you're not nervous.

After interviews, its food and tours and some other administrative stuff.

I stayed in florida a day extra to meet with some friends so, if your flying down to dothan definitely go to florida and drive to dothan. You can save some $ and go explore Florida beaches and women.

So I submitted my secondary about 10 days ago... Would the interview invite come through the portal system or email?

just got waitlisted, and I was rejected from burrell... this whole process is so frustrating.

I'm scared I'll end up going to a caribbean school because I'm out of options which is now a strong possibility. I do have a few more interviews but I just can't understand what I have done wrong, and I feel like I should have been accepted here. I'm 27 years old, I can't afford to take a chance and wait a third year reapplying nor enough time or money to waste on a masters degree, to me my stats are just about the best they are going to get from my post bac. 3.3/3.3 27 mcat. DO & MD letter w/decent extracurriculars.

I just can't help feeling like a failure even after trying my best. feels real bad.

just got waitlisted, and I was rejected from burrell... this whole process is so frustrating.

I'm scared I'll end up going to a caribbean school because I'm out of options which is now a strong possibility. I do have a few more interviews but I just can't understand what I have done wrong, and I feel like I should have been accepted here. I'm 27 years old, I can't afford to take a chance and wait a third year reapplying nor enough time or money to waste on a masters degree, to me my stats are just about the best they are going to get from my post bac. 3.3/3.3 27 mcat. DO & MD letter w/decent extracurriculars.

I just can't help feeling like a failure even after trying my best. feels real bad.

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear about the waitlist and rejection. You still have a chance with the other interviews, don't give up hope! You've made it this far, and you got those interviews which means you have what it takes and schools are interested in you based on your stats /PS/secondaries. Do you have someone to practice interviewing with? Friends, career services people at your post bacc institution? It seems like the interviews are not going your way, and that is something absolutely you can improve on and practice. Talk to your bosses or people who have gone through the process and have them actually interview you under "interview conditions"as practice (dress up if you feel that you don't get the same pressure as when you don't dress up). Don't lose your confidence--you know your story better than anyone and you can sell it the best out of anyone. Best of luck!

As philotic said, your stats are competitive for medschool. What you need to do is analyze what you did during interviews and fix that. I would suggest getting the blue interview book and read that a lot. I would also practice in front of the mirror. It is very early in the cycle and you will get more II invites I am sure. Remember the only way we can get better is to analyze our failures. I believe in you, keep your head up and keep on pushing. I know it's hard to get advice from someone not in your position, but I've had so many failures in life that I know how it feels. The blue book really helped me in my interviews for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
As philotic said, your stats are competitive for medschool. What you need to do is analyze what you did during interviews and fix that. I would suggest getting the blue interview book and read that a lot. I would also practice in front of the mirror. It is very early in the cycle and you will get more II invites I am sure. Remember the only way we can get better is to analyze our failures. I believe in you, keep your head up and keep on pushing. I know it's hard to get advice from someone not in your position, but I've had so many failures in life that I know how it feels. The blue book really helped me in my interviews for sure.

+1 you deserve a medal. Congrats on your acceptance!

Just arrived at Dothan. The town seems eerily quite... but nonetheless excited about tomorrow's interview ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Did you contact both schools to ask for feedback? I know you're frustrated but try to stay positive. I felt the same way that you did in the beginning of this cycle. All it takes is one interview/acceptance to change that and you still have interviews so maybe it just wasn't meant to be with these schools. Keep your head up, good luck.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Quick question. Did you guys get a complete email? Or did your status change to complete? Mine says SuppAppRecd with Fee. I was worried because my letters never showed up as received until I called and I wanted to make sure that they didn't forget to change me to complete. Thanks for the help!

Driving in tonight gonna be out there around 12 tn, staying at the la Quinta.

Anyone else staying at this hotel

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Quick question. Did you guys get a complete email? Or did your status change to complete? Mine says SuppAppRecd with Fee. I was worried because my letters never showed up as received until I called and I wanted to make sure that they didn't forget to change me to complete. Thanks for the help!

I'm interviewing Next week, but I got a supplemental received e-mail, a complete e-mail, and an interview e-mail. I hope this information helps!

I received a complete email from linda saying my app was ready for review. However you can email linda about any questions you have, she is very helpful and nice.

Can someone help me with this:

So I submitted all of my application materials, but when I login to the portal and go to my checklist, I have an "Incomplete Task" for a "D.O Letter of Recommendation".

The requirements for letters state that an M.D or D.O letter is required, and I do have an M.D. letter. So this is confusing me...

I have not received a complete email, do I need a D.O. letter to be complete? Those of you with an M.D letter, do you have this "Incomplete Task" and have you received a complete email?

Thank you for any input.

Can someone help me with this:

So I submitted all of my application materials, but when I login to the portal and go to my checklist, I have an "Incomplete Task" for a "D.O Letter of Recommendation".

The requirements for letters state that an M.D or D.O letter is required, and I do have an M.D. letter. So this is confusing me...

I have not received a complete email, do I need a D.O. letter to be complete? Those of you with an M.D letter, do you have this "Incomplete Task" and have you received a complete email?

Thank you for any input.

I submitted an MD letter and it was fine.
But, if it isn't on official letterhead and signed, it will be marked as incomplete. Neither of my science professors did this and I didn't ever receive a phone call from ACOM. I finally called and they told me that that was he issue.

I submitted an MD letter and it was fine.
But, if it isn't on official letterhead and signed, it will be marked as incomplete. Neither of my science professors did this and I didn't ever receive a phone call from ACOM. I finally called and they told me that that was he issue.
Anybody have the web address to the portal...I accidentally deleted my emails and they sent me login info but I tried the my acom login and that didn't work.