Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I only have 6 IIs lol. But cancelled like 3. Too mich financial burden on me.
What you plan to attend? If u don't mind me asking

I was at MU-COM this past Saturday and KCU yesterday. The other 2 I have left are CUSOM and KCOM so I'll likely go to both unless I hear back from MU or KCU before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was at MU-COM this past Saturday and KCU yesterday. The other 2 I have left are CUSOM and KCOM so I'll likely go to both unless I hear back from MU or KCU before.

i know this is off topic, but how was KCU? I have an interview coming up there, you can PM if you like

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview here on 10/28. I'm planning to fly into Atlanta the day before, is anyone interested in splitting a rental?

Can anyone post the secondary prompts? Tried to look at old posts, but no luck.

Thank you!!

If you're as nice in person as you are here on SDN I think you'll do great in your interview! Every post of yours is so positive and supportive so all you need to do is just be yourself. Good luck!!

Aww thank you so much! I try to be as positive as I can since I know this is such a stressful time for everyone undergoing this grueling process. Excited for this school since it seems so amazing!

I wanted to give a flight tip to you guys: don't check your luggage. I was supposed to fly into Tallahase but the hurricane shut it down. I was diverted to Montgomery, however my luggage was not. I ended up at the airport until 12:30 am and did not arrive in Dothan until past 2:00 am. Needless to say, I was exhausted during the interview having flown in from California.

So far, no news post interview... Avoid the mistake I made, and trust yourself to carry your interview suit with you. Good luck aspiring doctors! The interview was as pleasant as an interview could be, so just be yourself and get some sleep the night before and you'll be fine.
Yeah. Please carry everything you can as a Carry On. I only pack my suit, 1 set of sleeping cloth and regular clothe, and personal equipment like toothbrush and toothpaste. That's all I bring to survive 2 days for interview. It should all fit in one single carry on

Reactions: 2 users
I wanted to give a flight tip to you guys: don't check your luggage. I was supposed to fly into Tallahase but the hurricane shut it down. I was diverted to Montgomery, however my luggage was not. I ended up at the airport until 12:30 am and did not arrive in Dothan until past 2:00 am. Needless to say, I was exhausted during the interview having flown in from California.

So far, no news post interview... Avoid the mistake I made, and trust yourself to carry your interview suit with you. Good luck aspiring doctors! The interview was as pleasant as an interview could be, so just be yourself and get some sleep the night before and you'll be fine.
I interviewed the day after Hermine. Arrived in Florida 2 hours before it hit. Tallahassee was a mess after that and I wound up sleeping in my rental car at the airport after my interview. Well, sort of slept. The rains were torrential and sleep was rare.

...andddd WAITLISTED. At least it's not a straight up axe. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Reactions: 5 users
...andddd WAITLISTED. At least it's not a straight up axe. Good luck to everyone still in the running!
Welcome to the club :highfive:.
We will get our chance in December when a number of acceptances drop their seat.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted too.... Do yall mind sharing your stats and state? You can pm if youd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps anyone, I'm sure 90% of you here on SDN have better stats than I do. I played a Division 1 sport in university, have good ECs ( no research though), and gave up a good career to pursue med school. Stats help you get an interview, but once you're there, a lot of it has to do with personality and who you are. Don't rely on your stats, but also don't let them define you.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! I (and my fiance) were recently accepted here and so excited about this program! Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances, and best of luck to those who are preparing for an interview! I felt that the interview was very conversational, easy-going, and enjoyed the faculty who conducted it. I know everyone says this, but remember to just be yourself - - you've been invited for an interview because they're already interested in who you are and what you've done. Now you can take the opportunity to impress on them just how much it means to you to acconplish your goal. Just relax, embrace the moment, and you will do just fine :)

Reactions: 4 users
Maintain that optimism! It's still early in the game and we've got at least a few quarters left to play.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone emailed admissions within the past week and they've gotten back to you? I submitted my secondary mid August and haven't gotten any confirmation aside from that they received my secondary. I emailed earlier this week in regards to my letters being the correct format but no response.

Anyone know how often they meet/check emails?

Most likely will be withdrawing my seat from here. Hopefully it goes to one of you on the WL

Reactions: 6 users
I have had a completed application since August 10th and still have not heard back. Is this a silent rejection?

Quick question - which hotel did you guys stay in? What's the closest the school? All I could find was Clarion Inn & Suites, is that the only closest option?

And for those that did NOT drive to the school, any Ubers in the area? I won't be driving, so I'm worried as to how I'll get to the school.

So after lurking in this thread and studying it (lol), it seems that acceptances get handed out on Fridays. Do IIs also get sent out on Fridays?

Quick question - which hotel did you guys stay in? What's the closest the school? All I could find was Clarion Inn & Suites, is that the only closest option?

And for those that did NOT drive to the school, any Ubers in the area? I won't be driving, so I'm worried as to how I'll get to the school.
i think theres a hotel a mile away from the school, that also has a shuttle provided by the school, its in the interview packet information

"Comfort Inn & Suites (334) 792-7788 $ 89.00 www.choicehotels.com 1 mile to ACOM (New Hotel) *ACOM provides a complimentary shuttle at 8:45 am & 3 pm to/from Comfort Inn & Suites and ACOM"

So after lurking in this thread and studying it (lol), it seems that acceptances get handed out on Fridays. Do IIs also get sent out on Fridays?

I received my II on a Tuesday. I think it's fairly random

Reactions: 1 users
naw, its pretty random lol

Like captnjack said, stay at the comfort inn and take the shuttle. I did and it worked out great. Many of my fellow interviewees met in the lobby (surreptitiously) while waiting for the shuttle and it was quite pleasant to meet a few of them before the actual interview. Plus, there are several places to eat within walking distance from the motel.

there are no UBERS anywhere near Dothan unfortunately.

Interviewing this week! Very excited!

I am at work and cannot get the interview information site to load, can someone elaborate on the paperwork we need to bring? Will a US Passport suffice?

Interviewing this week! Very excited!
Me too!! Feels like it is taking forever for Friday to get here..and i moved my date up from November lol.

I am at work and cannot get the interview information site to load, can someone elaborate on the paperwork we need to bring? Will a US Passport suffice?
Yea unexpired passport or birth certificate

Just your ID and then some kind of proof that you're a U.S. citizen, so a passport would work!

Comfort Inn as well. Coming from Tulsa, OK.

My II came on a Tuesday (if I remember correctly) and acceptance came on a Wednesday. I think it's fairly random. At your interview they give you a good idea of when you will hear about your admissions decision. I really enjoyed how transparent they are about their timeline, it made waiting a lot easier.

There are others option but if u want to shuttle to school you need to stay at where they listed. I stayed at clarion too but I drove.
If you have a us passport card, that is all you need to bring. They provide a folder, a notepad and a pen

Oh and if you are married/had a name change apparently you need to bring the paperwork that supports this!!

Do they send an interview reminder the week of?

Thanks guys for your responses. Okay, I will look into the hotels that they school provided. I think taking a shuttle to the school will be my safest bet.

Sorry for all the questions but any cabs in the area? Taxis? I looked up Dothan city taxis and there seems to be a few services, just don't know how accessible they are from the hotel I am staying at. I need to go from my hotel to the Greyhound station in Dothan so not sure how I'll do that.

Thanks guys for your responses. Okay, I will look into the hotels that they school provided. I think taking a shuttle to the school will be my safest bet.

Sorry for all the questions but any cabs in the area? Taxis? I looked up Dothan city taxis and there seems to be a few services, just don't know how accessible they are from the hotel I am staying at. I need to go from my hotel to the Greyhound station in Dothan so not sure how I'll do that.

From what I read earlier and heard Dothan unfortunately only has one cab service

Also please book the room in advance because the day I tried to get the room, there was no room left available.

I stayed at the Sleep Inn about 10 mins away. I think it was like $70. Had a fancy little desk in my room too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I stayed at the Sleep Inn about 10 mins away. I think it was like $70. Had a fancy little desk in my room too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
sames! too bad my wifi didnt work when I was tryna do some last minute prep the night b4

Omg II! First one, I was losing hope for this cycle honestly :D

Reactions: 2 users