Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCOM has been sending students to SAMC with the AMEC (Alabama Medical Education Consortium) before ACOM was established. The PCOM MEDNet has residency programs in various states.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Is it open file or closed? Was it 1 clinician and 1 faculty? Did you know the interviewers names prior to day of?
You will not know your interviewer prior. Could be anyone from Librarian to faculty. Mine was two faculty (MD and PhD)
Thank you! hoping to get some love from this school. I hope my stats are good enough. 3.7/27
Ya, your Stats are good for this school ( I do not know how much volunteering and healthcare exposure you have). But during my interview and through previous thread, I found that that ACOM really accepts students who are good fit for their school.
(serving underserved in tri-state area, patient centric mission e.t.c)
Anyway be positive, you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
It has been almost 4 weeks since I have been complete. Is it worth emailing admissions if I haven't heard anything? I know interviews aren't guaranteed but I thought I was a pretty good fit- 3.7/506, lots of clinical employment and volunteer experience with letters from both MDs and DOs :( I am out of state, not sure if this matters.

It has been almost 4 weeks since I have been complete. Is it worth emailing admissions if I haven't heard anything? I know interviews aren't guaranteed but I thought I was a pretty good fit- 3.7/506, lots of clinical employment and volunteer experience with letters from both MDs and DOs :( I am out of state, not sure if this matters.
I am not sure if you should contact them or not, maybe someone else can help with that but it looks like they have not sent out any II in weeks so I wouldn't panic. Seems like all the schools are slugging along slowly this year.

I'm not sure if your complete email said it or not, but mine said that I would be notified within three weeks. If yours did as well I would contact them since it's been longer than that. Admissions personnel are very friendly!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure if your complete email said it or not, but mine said that I would be notified within three weeks. If yours did as well I would contact them since it's been longer than that. Admissions personnel are very friendly!

That said, does anyone know if they give formal rejections after the 3 week period if not chosen for II or do you stay in running till the end of the cycle? I wondered this and it might be helpful to others if known..

Members don't see this ad :)
That said, does anyone know if they give formal rejections after the 3 week period if not chosen for II or do you stay in running till the end of the cycle? I wondered this and it might be helpful to others if known..

They usually send out a formal rejection in January and then at the end of the cycle.

Can anyone comment on how the day is structured? Interviews in the morning? @lnguyen1412
you meet up in the morning with all the itnerviewees in a big room, social for a little, then the Dean, Dr. R and a few other people talk about the school and lay out how the day is gonna be, some facts about the school and its rotations. Then everyone is lead to the initial tour, but a few get interviewed while most are in a room chilling with the OMM fellows, repeats until everyone is done itnerviewing. Then lunch, and after is final presentations on financial aid and stuff like that and cya. in at 8-9 and out at like 3ish

you meet up in the morning with all the itnerviewees in a big room, social for a little, then the Dean, Dr. R and a few other people talk about the school and lay out how the day is gonna be, some facts about the school and its rotations. Then everyone is lead to the initial tour, but a few get interviewed while most are in a room chilling with the OMM fellows, repeats until everyone is done itnerviewing. Then lunch, and after is final presentations on financial aid and stuff like that and cya. in at 8-9 and out at like 3ish

Interview tips? I heard it is very "relaxed/converstational" but were you asked any questions that you didn't expect? Other than the why DO? why medicine? etc.

Interview tips? I heard it is very "relaxed/converstational" but were you asked any questions that you didn't expect? Other than the why DO? why medicine? etc.
for me it was pretty chill, my app is slightly nontrad so i got asked about that, but some people in my group were GRILLED, like know your research, know your history of DO, but seems like they were just unlucky

II JUST NOW! Second of the season! Scheduled for January 6th but going to try to get an earlier date. If you are declining your II and have an earlier date, please PM me :).

Reactions: 5 users
II just now too! Scheduled for December 2. For everyone waiting, today marked 4 weeks after the complete email for me.

Hello everyone, wanted to share a bit about my application review:

Secondary received: 08/23
Secondary submitted: 09/14 (yeah...a bit late, had a massive amount of secondaries that I was trying to finish beforehand)
Application complete email confirmation: 09/15
II received: 10/13

So I received an II exactly 4 weeks post-completion. Hang in there guys!

II just now (complete 9/28)! Scheduled for January 20th. Going to also try to get an earlier date if possible. Congrats and Good luck everyone! :highfive::soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
II just now too! Scheduled for December 2. For everyone waiting, today marked 4 weeks after the complete email for me.

I got my II about a month after the complete E-mail as well!

Ugh, I can't even get in to schedule an interview. My credentials don't work. Called the guy and he has IT on it, but I'm just hoping the dates that are left aren't too late...:grumpy:

Anyone interviewing on 1/6/17 that is from Florida? Probably going to drive up from Miami Florida and would prefer to carpool lol. Plane tickets are expensive.

All my letters are not on letterhead. Should i bother applying?

Anyone interviewing on 1/6/17 that is from Florida? Probably going to drive up from Miami Florida and would prefer to carpool lol. Plane tickets are expensive.

I interview in December 9th also driving up from Miami so I'll let you know how the drive is!!

I got my II this morning and was complete on 9/22 so three weeks exactly :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all! If you have any questions about the school/interview/Dothan just hit me up! Its an awesome place.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview Invite! Complete Sept. 9. Also having trouble logging in to schedule my interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, I just got my first interview invite! I am from NY and was wondering how everyone traveled to Dothan, AL. Did you fly directly there (pricey for me), or did you fly to a bigger nearby airport and rent a car? Thanks!

Hi guys, I just got my first interview invite! I am from NY and was wondering how everyone traveled to Dothan, AL. Did you fly directly there (pricey for me), or did you fly to a bigger nearby airport and rent a car? Thanks!

I'm flying into Atlanta for my interview. Tix from the Northeast to ATL were like $125RT and then a rental car was $75. Much cheaper than trying to fly directly into Dothan ($600) or Tallahassee ($450).

For me the most expensive part is going to be the hotel. Two nights in Dothan is going to cost me $200. My hotel IN Chicago - you know... a major city - was less than half! Totally confused by the economics of it.

Regardless, I'm pretty excited to see and learn more about the school!

They said there aren't any Interview spots until January... how many people does this school interview?

I'm from NY myself.

NY->GA->Dothan
Flew to each

I'm flying into Atlanta for my interview. Tix from the Northeast to ATL were like $125RT and then a rental car was $75. Much cheaper than trying to fly directly into Dothan ($600) or Tallahassee ($450).

For me the most expensive part is going to be the hotel. Two nights in Dothan is going to cost me $200. My hotel IN Chicago - you know... a major city - was less than half! Totally confused by the economics of it.

Thank you for the info! It is definitely a costly process, but I hope it all pays off in the end. Best of luck!

yay got the II on the 3 week date! First one!!

Reactions: 3 users

Where are you getting $200 for hotel stay?

Ugh, I can't even get in to schedule an interview. My credentials don't work. Called the guy and he has IT on it, but I'm just hoping the dates that are left aren't too late...:grumpy:
Was this resolved for you, because I can't get into the system either!

Not yet...I called first thing in the morning then left an email a couple of hours ago. Still no reply.

As of 5 seconds ago, they sent an email for those receiving an error haha...

i Just called the IT guy and he changed my password and worked. When you call the school ask the operator to transfer you to the IT maintenance.

Just received an email saying they are having some IT issues, I was scared that they were gonna say they sent the II to the wrong person...:shrug:

Has anyone gotten accepted with suboptimal stats? Sub 503 mcat ish or 3.5 gpa? Just curious to where i stand...