Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten accepted with suboptimal stats? Sub 503 mcat ish or 3.5 gpa? Just curious to where i stand...

Look back, several people.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an interview invite!!!!! It's my first one and I'm really excited about this school!!!!!!!!!!!! Complete 9/28/16 Unfortunately also unable to schedule, waiting for the new credentials.

Reactions: 6 users
Where are you getting $200 for hotel stay?

The Comfort Inn & Suites, which ACOM recommends, is $109 a night.... I'm staying the night before and after the interview as I'd like to checkout Dothan a bit.

LOL!!! I thought I would atleast pass the time waiting for the credentials by clicking the link to read about interview day but even that requires a log in! Guess I'll just be here tapping the table with my fingernails.

LOL!!! I thought I would atleast pass the time waiting for the credentials by clicking the link to read about interview day but even that requires a log in! Guess I'll just be here tapping the table with my fingernails.
LOL i did the same

Reactions: 1 user
I got an Interview Slot on January 27th. Hopefully one opens up before that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! First year student at ACOM here to answer any questions! And please ask, because I need a break from studying anatomy lol

Hi guys! First year student at ACOM here to answer any questions! And please ask, because I need a break from studying anatomy lol

Honest opinion, what do you wish you could change/dont like about ACOM?

The Comfort Inn & Suites, which ACOM recommends, is $109 a night.... I'm staying the night before and after the interview as I'd like to checkout Dothan a bit.

You picked an expensive place. There are cheaper if you want to save. There's very little congestion in the morning and I stayed 8 miles away.

I'm not very fond of the attendance policy. You have to attend 80% of lectures, which isn't a big deal except they will reduce your grade if you don't hit 80%. And you can't miss more than 2 mandatory lectures, which are practically every other day. Of course, I'm so paranoid about it that I haven't missed a single lecture...

I don't like that they are forcing the students to use the WolfPacc board prep course. Would much rather DIT because we could watch videos at our own leisure/pace rather than have someone lecture to us from 8am until 3pm for 3-4 weeks every weekday.

I don't like that they are forcing the students to use the WolfPacc board prep course. Would much rather DIT because we could watch videos at our own leisure/pace rather than have someone lecture to us from 8am until 3pm for 3-4 weeks every weekday.

When do you use the wolfpacc course? During year 2?

I'm not very fond of the attendance policy. You have to attend 80% of lectures, which isn't a big deal except they will reduce your grade if you don't hit 80%. And you can't miss more than 2 mandatory lectures, which are practically every other day. Of course, I'm so paranoid about it that I haven't missed a single lecture...

You allowed to miss more lectures if you have valid excuses?

When do you use the wolfpacc course? During year 2?

At the end of year two after you finish all of your courses, so at the beginning of May. It's about 3-4 weeks of the mandatory school board prep, then you have around a month of your own personal study time.

At the end of year two after you finish all of your courses, so at the beginning of May. It's about 3-4 weeks of the mandatory school board prep, then you have around a month of your own personal study time.
Is one month of personal study time enough? Seems like it isn't but then again with the prep maybe?

Is one month of personal study time enough? Seems like it isn't but then again with the prep maybe?

It depends from person to person. Some people need more time, some are fine with a month. I know some of my classmates were planning on only doing practice questions and tests from the beginning of May to the end of June. So some aren't happy with the program because it differs from their style of studying and learning.

Interviewing here next month...first tmie checking this SDN page and it has 47 pages! wow lol.

For sake of me not having to scroll through 47 pages here...can anyone (current student or someone that has itnerviewed here) comment on positives/negatives of the school? It is still relatively new so im curious as to what their board scores were, research opportunities available, campus community atmosphere, etc..

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. Remember just be yourself, relax, and you'll do great. Everyone there is so nice and non-intimidating:)

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how realistic it would be to miss 3-4 weekdays during the first two weeks of school? I really don't want to, but may have to, and just wanted to know how to go about it. Thanks in advance!

I will be declining my acceptance here. Not an easy decision. ACOM is a great school and am very fortunate to have been accepted. One of my favorite interview days and everyone is so caring and supportive. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
I will be declining my acceptance here. Not an easy decision. ACOM is a great school and am very fortunate to have been accepted. One of my favorite interview days and everyone is so caring and supportive. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where will you be headed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. Remember just be yourself, relax, and you'll do great. Everyone there is so nice and non-intimidating:)

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how realistic it would be to miss 3-4 weekdays during the first two weeks of school? I really don't want to, but may have to, and just wanted to know how to go about it. Thanks in advance!

I don't think the administration would mind as long as you request excused absences, but keep in mind the first few weeks are VERY anatomy heavy and you don't want to fall behind right off the bat.

Interviewing here next month...first tmie checking this SDN page and it has 47 pages! wow lol.

For sake of me not having to scroll through 47 pages here...can anyone (current student or someone that has itnerviewed here) comment on positives/negatives of the school? It is still relatively new so im curious as to what their board scores were, research opportunities available, campus community atmosphere, etc..

OMS I student here:
The boards pass rate for last years class was around 90%. I'm not sure what the average score was, but I know that ACOM is implementing WolfPacc as mandatory board prep for all of the OMS II students starting this year in order to improve scores.
In terms of research, ACOM just opened their research lab! We're all pretty excited about it and research opportunities will become available to students very shortly.
The campus community atmosphere is amazing. I came from a very competitive, cut throat undergraduate institution and I thought that would be the case in medical school, but it is not like that at all. Your teachers and classmates are always willing to help out. Just yesterday someone posted on our FB group asking for help with the arterial supply to the abdomen and at least 2 people posted pictures of the pathways to help them.
Let me know if you have more questions! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the physical acceptance letter and I want to frame it next to all of my rejection letters from last cycle :laugh:

Reactions: 12 users
Well I'm going to drop my acceptance here. @getfat i hope it goes to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from the 10/7 interview hear back today?

Interviewed today. Was told by Dr. Reynolds that the committee hasn't yet met to evaluate the 10/7 group so it'll be another week. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users