Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe I read on last year's thread it's around 2/3 accepted per interview day.
If you would be so kind as to find that source then I would be a happy man hahahaha 2/3 acceptance after interview is fantastic.
If you're busy don't sweat it, I'll take a look myself.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who come August 12, I'll be in Dothan on the 11th. Let's meet up for dinner. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who come August 12, I'll be in Dothan on the 11th. Let's meet up for dinner. :)
I wish I could Mr. Wen (transliteration)! Had to reschedule for sometime in September or later.. meh

That's what I've read, and the Interview:Acceptance ratio is so darn high! I wish they had a better way to weed out applicants and interview only those that the school is really interested in. It costs thousands for the students to travel on the interview trail. The current students should ask the adcoms to take this into consideration. Pretty please.
Wait, the 2/3 accepted represents exactly what you're saying. They are basically only interview people they are very likely to accept. 66% of people will be admitted after interviewing, which sounds just swell to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Highly recommend reading "The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies From Admissions Faculty" by Samir Desai and Ranjani Katta. It was recommended to me by another SDNer and it is extremely helpful!! Definitely going to be referring back to it when preparing for this interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just bought this thanks a lot. I am trying to prepare for my LECOM interview in a week o_O

Congrats to all that got interviews today. Super bummed I didn't get one. Do you guys mind sharing your stats and timeline info. That would be greatly appreciated! This is my top choice! I just want an II

3.98 science GPA
4.0 non-science GPA
499 MCAT
No ties to Alabama, but strong LOR and a lot of experience working with the underserved

I just received a secondary. Must have been a mistake.
So you got the message and then a secondary invite showed up? I got the message, but no secondary invite....I'm so confused

Yes I did. However I emailed them right away explaining what happened. I recommend you do the same asap.

Sent from my LG-D950 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, the 2/3 accepted represents exactly what you're saying. They are basically only interview people they are very likely to accept. 66% of people will be admitted after interviewing, which sounds just swell to me.
I read that you wrote "2 or 3" per interview day. Okay, that makes me feel so much better :)

Does that 2/3 include those from the wait list or only interviewees pre wait list?

Interview scheduled on Aug 5th! See some of you there soon :)

Reading interview attire threads and regretting my decision to purchase a black suit !! Looks like I'll be heading to the mall tomorrow...

I have to shop in the petites section so it's really hard to find something that fits me. I couldn't find anything charcoal or navy when I went last weekend. I'll look around, but if I don't find anything then oh well!

Reading interview attire threads and regretting my decision to purchase a black suit !! Looks like I'll be heading to the mall tomorrow...

wait why?! are we not supposed to wear black..?

I have to shop in the petites section so it's really hard to find something that fits me. I couldn't find anything charcoal or navy when I went last weekend. I'll look around, but if I don't find anything then oh well!

I am wearing a black skirt suit with a cream blouse. I think black is just fine. But did you check Ann Taylor? They have a great petite section.

The neuroticism is real...

I am wearing a black skirt suit with a cream blouse. I think black is just fine. But did you check Ann Taylor? They have a great petite section.

That makes me feel better lol. I looked at their website, they do have a good selection. I was going to look there, The Limited, and Banana Republic.

Its gonna be really hot in august. So it might be more comfortable to have a navy (lighter color) attire.
I feel like I will be incredibly hot either way, so may as well go with something classic I will wear a lot.

That makes me feel better lol. I looked at their website, they do have a good selection. I was going to look there, The Limited, and Banana Republic.

The Limited's skirts and pants run very small, be forewarned. It made the experience so much more miserable. Banana will be 2x the price of Ann Taylor, because AT always has an amazing sale.

Agreed!

I took my new suit on a trial run 2 days ago. I lasted 3 hours before the heat was unbearable :bag:
I am wearing mine to a mock interview next week, and I am sure I will want to jump out of my clothes after a half hour.

The Limited's skirts and pants run very small, be forewarned. It made the experience so much more miserable. Banana will be 2x the price of Ann Taylor, because AT always has an amazing sale.

Thanks! I'll check out AT first. I've never actually been in the store, I was just browsing online last night.

Speaking of mock interviews...who else is doing one?

Are you doing it through your undergrad? I've been out of school for 3 years so idk where I would schedule one

Are you doing it through your undergrad? I've been out of school for 3 years so idk where I would schedule one

I have been out of college for two years, and I contacted a local University asking if there were any options for me. They happily took me!

Well a doctor who used to be on a admissions committee board is helping me with that. I also looked, and I don't think my school has mock interviews :( . However, from what I have researched, there are a lot of web pages (Accepted for example), that you can do it through.

I did mock interview with my pre-meds friends who are very good at criticism lol. I think the purpose is just to get feedback on how you will look and practice interviewing skills. It does not need to be with the pre-med committee (if you can get one, it's good).

Ann Taylor FTW. Got a navy suit and two tops for underneath. Couldn't decide on a color! 40% off!

Congrats to those interviewing! :)

I submitted my supplemental around 7/11. How soon after people submitted their secondaries did they receive an II? Just curious because I'm not sure if I got a silent rejection or if my app is still under review. BCOM got back to me pretty quickly so just wondering.

Thanks!

Congrats to those interviewing! :)

I submitted my supplemental around 7/11. How soon after people submitted their secondaries did they receive an II? Just curious because I'm not sure if I got a silent rejection or if my app is still under review. BCOM got back to me pretty quickly so just wondering.

Thanks!

I got a complete email 7/12 and got an II 7/20

Ah, okay. I guess I'll keep waiting then. Idk if I should go ahead and call or just wait another week or so before doing that.

I'm might be an anomaly. It could be that some people waited much longer than I had to. I'm not sure about calling though, I've never personally done that. Maybe someone else could chime in.

I'm might be an anomaly. It could be that some people waited much longer than I had to. I'm not sure about calling though, I've never personally done that. Maybe someone else could chime in.

Yeah, not sure. I know many people received the "secondary app received" email + the "application complete" before hearing about an interview. I only received the "secondary app received" email, haha. So not sure they're missing a document or something. I recently received my new MCAT score on July 6th, but I submitted it right away to AACOMAS so they should have it. But who knows, that's what might be causing the delay.

Yeah, not sure. I know many people received the "secondary app received" email + the "application complete" before hearing about an interview. I only received the "secondary app received" email, haha. So not sure they're missing a document or something. I recently received my new MCAT score on July 6th, but I submitted it right away to AACOMAS so they should have it. But who knows, that's what might be causing the delay.

I know some schools took a while to check off my mcat even though AACOMAS verified it a couple weeks before I submitted

I know some schools took a while to check off my mcat even though AACOMAS verified it a couple weeks before I submitted

Oh, really? Okay in that case, I guess I'll wait a little more before calling. Maybe in a few days or so they'll have that checked off.

I called the school and she assured me it should be back up today. She took down my email and would let me know when it was ready, and I will post what she says.

Side note, do you guys think "no more than a page" for each essay is single or double spaced? Because one page single space is actually a lot :(

did you find out about the single or double spaced?

It was probably unsigned or not on letterhead. That's what they told me when I called!
I talked to my professors and they said they did sign and letter head
In addition, I believe other schools like ATSU, UIW has no problem in completed my letter

What happens if it is not on letterhead? I've had my LORs for a while and I'm afraid they might not be. They wouldn't not accept me b/c of that right, just tell me to send a new one if it does end up being a problem?