Alameda County/Highland Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Program: Highland Hospital in Oakland, CA

Residents: There are 10 per year in a PGY 1-4 format. This is a very self-selecting program. The residents let you know it from the start. They are all happy to be there and really love and believe in the program. There is a mix of married and single people, and high camaraderie amongst them. I wasn't able to make it to the mixer the night before, but I heard there was great turn out, which is the usual for the group currently there. There were a few gripes, mainly being how difficult the patient population is to take care of, and the basic county issues. Otherwise, they were very happy.

Faculty: The PD, Dr. Snowey was awesome. He was very laid back and praised highly by the residents. The rest of the faculty I met/interviewed with were very young and energetic. Most had trained at Highland and absolutely love the place. The interviews were blinded, so it was nothing more than conversation about experiences, etc. A great group to work with, in my opinion. There is a large amount of teaching that goes on...I'll discuss some of it in the curriculum section.

Facilities/Ancillary services: The ED is about 2 years old. It has a strange layout, but what ED doesn't? I think there were around 50 or so beds, I can't remember the exact number. The hospital itself, is somewhat small, but they are constantly expanding it. As for ancillary services, I was told by a senior resident that you would be doing most of your lines/blood draws as an intern. Thereafter, the nurses do most of them for you. If anyone has heard differently, please speak up, but this is what I was told. Currently, everything is still paper. A digital chart should be up and running within the next few months, from what we were told.

Curriculum: From what I gathered, the EM department is the strongest department in the hospital. As such, when you do off-service rotations at Highland, you are running the show. Consults are very hard to come by, and you end up managing many things down in the ED. I see this as both a positive and a negative. But that's me. I think shifts are 8 hours in length, but I can't remember how many are worked per month. The associated hospitals, UCSF, SFGH, Oakland's children, are all awesome places to be, where you are really taught.

Speaking of Peds, you get 5-6 months of experience, including 4 months of peds at Oakland Childrens, a month of PICU, and another over at UCSF. Occasionally, peds gets thrown in at Highland. There is a fellowship available as well. So the peds exposure is strong.

The trauma team runs all traumas, with the ED taking care of airway. There are plenty of procedures as it was hinted that surgery isn't very strong at Highland. Take this with a grain of salt. Either way, there were plenty of procedures and trauma experience to be had...3 months in total.

US is particularly strong at Highland, as it also houses a fellowship. You will be certified upon leaving.

There is plenty of elective time (4.5 months) with plenty to choose from, including up to 6 weeks of international time.

Didactics are really strong here. On top of their weekly conferences, which include small group discussions (I liked that idea), there is a dedicated teaching attending during weekdays who is solely there to do bedside teaching. There are also daily morning, noon, and night conferences while eating. Plenty of teaching going on here!

There are a lot of medicine/MICU months, 4 to be exact, and as I said, you are running those.

Patient Pop: This is a county/indigent population with lots of diversity. It is a difficult patient population, as we were told by pretty much every resident. If you don't want to deal with a pop like this, do not rank the program. We've heard of patients spitting, yelling, etc. The census is about 75,000 per year, with 1/4 going through the urgent care area. There is high acuity. UCSF has your tertiary care population.

Location: Oakland, CA. Not the best place to live as a resident, but it's doable. SF is just across the Bay Bridge, so there is plenty to do. I grew up in the East Bay, so it's home to me. High COL, although not as much as LA.

Perks: There are A LOT of perks to this program thanks to the housestaff being unionized. There is a moving stipend, yearly educational expenses stipend, you get a bonus when working holidays (whether Christmas or Columbus day), and best of all, an extra 5 weeks off at the end of your intern year for everyone. It's not extra time, just rearranged time. You work that time up at the end of your 4th year.

Overall: I really enjoyed my day at Highland. It is a solid program and the faculty/didactics are a huge bonus. I do have some concerns about the program, and I really have to think about whether or not all the perks (and there are a lot), minimize these in my eyes. Having said that, I'm still trying to figure out where this will land on my list, but it will likely be in the top half. Regardless, I think it's an awesome program and I would feel lucky to train here. Plus, I grew up 20 minutes south of there, so it's home.

Members don't see this ad.

I am happy to elaborate more about the places I interviewed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Denver: (+): amazing program, amazing location, 4th years blew me away managing ED. (-): almost no elective time
2) Hennepin: (+): very surgery-based program, Pitbosses run the ED 3rd year, critical care emphasis. (-): Minnesota.
3) Highland: (+): autonomous training, great group of people, nice location, self-sufficient residents. (-): unsure about strength of off-service rotations.
4) MGH/BWH: (+): great city, great resources, phenomenal international health program. (-) young program, 1 million potential consultants to be called
5) New Mexico: (+): great program, super nice people, SICK patients, nice outdoor recreation nearby, critical care strong. (-): location seemed a little ghost-townish for me, issues with movement of pts through department & flow
6) UMichigan: (+): huge critical care, no medicine wards, diverse training sites. (-): not a huge fan of the location/weather, worried about the # of consultants that could be called.
7) Bellevue: (+): big time autonomy, self-sufficient residents, reputation. (-) I am a little intimidated about the idea of living in Manhattan .
8) Maine: (+): the most friendly people ever, location. (-) seemed a little cushy for me
9) BMC: (+): location, underserved patient population, lots of trauma. (-): 2-4, PGY2s do ALL procedures in dept.
10) OHSU: (+): location. (-): didn't gel with the people
11) UC Davis: (+): sick pts. (-): nothing really set them apart, location
12) UCSF Fresno: (+): Yosemite, nice people. (-): couldn't really see value of 4th year, living in Fresno.
13) Stanford: (+): Paul Auerbach, lots of resources, bay area. (-): pts not sick enough, a little too academically snooty for me
14) BIDMC: (+): location. (-): unfriendly, extremely academically snooty people
15) Indiana: (+): fantastic program. (-): location

I also interviewed for the UVM Preliminary Medicine Year and the Transitional year at UC San Diego, so feel free to ask me about those...

Please note: the (+) and (-) are only my opinion. I'm sure there are several other people who had totally different experiences and therefore completely opposite opinions (which is why the match works!)

4 years, 40 residents total. 80K visit county facility.

The residents: mostly from California and Ivy League medical schools. There is a rumor that you HAVE to rotate here to match here, but they insist that their "matchable" spots are split pretty evenly between rotators and non-rotators, but they have more past rotators rank them highly - thus more of them match. VERY fun, enthusiastic bunch of residents - definitely the kind you'd like to have a beer with. Very outdoors-y group.

Rotations: 1 month floor medicine intern year, 1 month third year - so your floor medicine team is supervised by your EM senior. Spend most of your time at Alameda County/Highland with some EM months, 1 peds EM month, neuro at UCSF. Do EM months at Kaiser Oakland, a community hospital, and Children's Oakland. The financil relationship with UCSF is all set for the next couple years, but the logistics may be changing as UCSF's program expands. Ortho sounds like it's one of their best rotations - they do 2 months and become VERY comfortable with ortho. Their ultrasound training is second to none - they have strong ultrasound faculty who are very present in the ED in a teaching capacity. The only residents are IM and gen surg, with rotators from a different hospital in ortho - so you get lots of good experience.

They are very open about the fact that this is a county program with all the benefits and some of the drawbacks that come with it. It seems like they've done a LOT to alleviate some of it - there's a fund dedicated specifically to improvement of patient care. There are 55 beds in the ED, 120 beds in the hospital, and a 20% admission rate - so that's 43 admissions/day if you do the math, so there is bound to be significant boarding.

Pay: starts off at 47K but increases dramatically each year to 68K in PGY4.

Overall: I really liked this program. You will be busy and work hard, but the residents seem very supportive of eachother. There's not much ivory tower university experience - so if that is important to you it's not the best program. The relationship with the ED at UCSF is in flux, so that's something to be aware of - but supposedly Kaiser is really developing "Kaiser Oakland" so that might end up being a really great relationship. The residents do work a lot, but seem very happy. If I were looking to move to the West Coast, this program would be first on my list without any reservations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some quick facts about programs from last year of interviewing. I tried to be non-biased as possible, but sometimes I threw in some subjective comments. Hope this helps.

FYI, some things may have changed at programs so be sure to ask.

Christiana - 3 years, 12 EM residents/year (+3 EM/IM and 2 EM/FM), 9 hr shifts with 1 hr overlap, 40 hr/wk as intern, 1 mo of night shifts with minimal night shifts on other ED months, >110k volume at main hospital with 72 beds, ~200k combined volume, 5 hrs lecture/week, daily morning conference, monthly animal lab, 1 month orientation, dedicated CT and radiology dept, OR in the ER, $200 mil expansion of Wilmington hospital by 2011, EM gets airway AND procedures in trauma, no anesthesia residents to intubate, no ortho/ENT/NS/optho residents either, fellowships in admin/EMS/US, 6 U/S machines with great U/S faculty, $49k as R1, 6 mo of ICU rotations over 1st two years, interns work >1/2 shifts at Wilmington, no floor months, no state sales tax, 30-45 min to Philly, 1 hr to Baltimore, 2 hours to DC/NY, 90 min to Atlantic City, moonlighting available

Hennepin - 3 years, 11 residents (+2 EM/IM)/yr, 9 hr shifts, >100k volume, very little floor months but surgery heavy, 2 mo neurosurgery as R2, believer in "graduated responsibility" (AKA delayed gratification) so that as R1 you don't have many duties but by R3 you are running the dept, "pitboss" as R3 with no note responsibility, free food, 4 stabilization rooms with U/S mounted on each bay, airways only as R3, 12 U/S machines total which are directly linked to PACS, U/S tech hired to teach residents, EM on ALL traumas and surgery as consult, 1 mo community experience, OB/gyn involves inpt and outpt care, EMR (Epic), sim lab integrated into curriculum, great EMS relationship, 1 wk hospital orientation and 2 wk EM orientation, hyperbaric chamber

Brown – 4 years, 12 residents/yr, >100k volume, brand new ED with cath lab, 2 CT scanners, 72 beds with 6 crit care beds, awesome sim lab 1 day/mo, no boarding in the ED (is that possible?), strong peds EM program, large amount of trauma since they are the only show in town from New Haven to Boston, strong U/S program with fellowship available, 4.5 mo electives, trauma surg without scut work, conferences supposed to have more small group discussion this upcoming year, 20-22 shifts/mo, 9 hr shifts with 1 hr overlap, great international EM, 75 full-time facult, $50k salary as intern

Yale – 4 years, 12 residents/yr, 1 full month orientation, stong U/S program, 12 hour shifts, 18-20/mo as intern, 6 mo crticial care over residency, tox month at NYU Bellvue, 2 hours sim lab per month, 6 mo elective time, $51k as intern

USC – 4 years, 17 residents/yr, 12 hour shifts, 20? shift/mo, top-notch U/S program with over 20 machines, 12 resus bays, tons of procedures, EM has ALL hospital codes, work in the underground jail ED, excellent teaching with tons of videos uploaded every month, attendings doen’t write notes so that have more time to teach, observation unit run by attendings and NPs, new hospital with good facilities, no EMR using all paper notes but plans to upgrade

Highland – 4 years, 10 residents/yr, one month EM orientation, awesome U/S training with 2 U/S fellows, county program, great salary, uses EMR, ski cabin in Tahoe that residents share, one month off per year, 3 informal teaching session in the ED per day, free food all the time, no OBS unit so you must admit all low risk chest pain, rotate though many hospitals (Kaiser, UCSF, Children’s, SFGH), ortho rotation includes time in OR, great tox month at SFGH, weaker IM program can be frustrating

Carolinas - 3 years, 14 residents/yr, >100k volume, very nice hospital, only 1 hospital to rotate through, labs results broadcast to free PDA, didactics daily with free lunch and protected on off-service rotations, fellowships in tox/EMS/US/peds/research, large amount of off-service rotations but I was reassured that they are important, $45k/yr as intern, no EMR but orders by computer coming soon, no orientation month, 4.5 resus bays, no direct medical school affiliation, residents go to SAEM 2nd year and ACEP 3rd year

UMass - 3 years, 12 residents/yr, no medicine floor months but lots of ICU, 10 hr shifts, 20-22 shifts/mo, 5 u/s trained attendings and 8 toxicologists, volume 80-90K and growing, 200+ million dollar ED, new CT scanner, located in worcester (pronounced wooster), helicopter medicine - one month in PGY1 with a 2 or 3 running the show (the bird never flies without a resident) but can be grounded often in winter, every U/S is recorded and Q/A'd by U/S doc, likely elimination of PGY3 elective to Hawaii with free housing/car, 45-60 min from boston, plenty of trauma with all procedures/airway being done by EM residents, residents can moonlight in the ICU starting 2nd yr, 5 hours weekly of didactics, computer tracking system with labs/rads results but orders/vitals/nursing notes/MD notes are all paper and then scanned into computer that you can pull up later if needed.

Vanderbilt – 3 years, 12 residents/yr (increased by 1 this year), no floor months, 1 hr lecture each morning by PD or chair of EM, 1 month orientation with reduced ED shifts and great teaching, awesome EMR, >100,000 combined volume of main hospital and children’s, teaching by U/S fellowship trained EM physician, >3k level 1 traumas/yr, video review for each trauma, 2 BS toxicologists, ED radiology 24 hrs/day, emergency cardiologist in ED, 6 wks community ED, moonlighting allowed, 2 CT scanner, 4 active trauma bays, 10 hr shifts as R1, great sim lab with 1 day/mo, Keeping Up! (EBM review website) run by attendings, $49k as R1, fellowships for EMS/international health/peds, no anesthesia residents/attg necessary for PSA, tons of airway devices, evals p every shift/month/6mo, great EMS relationship

Review from here: http://tinaswu.blogspot.com/2010/01/highland-emergency-medicine-interview.html

Happiest residents in the world, they claim. I think it's true. It must be.

The social night was at a local bar. We had appetizers and beer. There were tons of residents there. For only having 40 residents, the number of residents who showed up was very impressive. They really like each other.

They create an awesome interview day. We got a Highland coffee mug. I know it's not that big of a deal; I have 10 coffee mugs. But I thought it was a nice touch.

No need to read their website prior to the interview. We got a great overview.

Not that I would ever be able to implement this into my own program, but they have a 13 month internship year with 2 months of vacation.

The parts I loved about the program:
-5 months of pediatrics
-4.5 months of electives where they encourage global health electives
-teaching teaching teaching! Loved that they have "GI rounds" where they eat and teach.
-Pioneers of ultrasound
-Center for Social Emergency Medicine
-Bonus pay for holidays. This is the kicker. It makes all residents happier.
-$2000 moving allowance
-Highland ski cabin
-Every month, there is one conference canceled so they get to go out together

Not so much love: They have their vacation in a 4 week chunk. Probably logistically easier for them, but not so good for the residents.

I really liked that they had so many residents go on the tour. I think there were about 6-7 residents there. It was awesome.

The interviews were chill. I was lucky to interview with Dr. Bernice Perez. She was from Arizona also and extremely inspirational. She's absolutely amazing.

The worst part of their interview day was probably their crappy name tags, but that was about the only bad part of their program.

Because there are no OB and only occasionally an ortho resident when on those services you will be first assist on every c and ortho case which means lots of OR time and you have to be medicine chief for 1 month as a pgy3 where every other 4 year program has you do it as a PGY1 and you don't have to run the service. Very odd curriculum.

Anyone have any insight on whether the UCSF program has/will affect their curriculum? thanks!

The ucsf contract with highland was signed until the end of 2012
according to their presentation but they said that the future relationship is very unsure at this point. They were completely honest about having an unsure affiliate relationship with ucsf and mentioned that kaiser Oakland would be filling in a greater role just in case.

The ucsf contract with highland was signed until the end of 2012
according to their presentation but they said that the future relationship is very unsure at this point. They were completely honest about having an unsure affiliate relationship with ucsf and mentioned that kaiser Oakland would be filling in a greater role just in case.

Really? Thats not what they told us 3 days ago.

We were told that the money was the biggest issue originally. UCSF used to pay for their residents to come and would no longer do so. However, the higher ups at Highland had worked that all (as in Highland will be paying for you to go to UCSF for all your rotations there - neuro, EM, and a couple of others) and that they are adding the Oakland Kaiser to give you a little community experience. We were assured that the schedule we were given was the schedule we would get - UCSF experiences and all.

Huh, oh then maybe I misunderstood or knew things have been worked out since I rotated there in August. They definitely assured me that for my class they UCSF would remain intact.

Agreement is in place

This is a couples' match list...if it were just me, my list would likely look pretty different. Some programs would have been higher on the list (especially Cinci), but Vandy definitely would still have been my #1. :love:

I interviewed at 18 programs, and ranked all 18. This ROL is obviously just my (and my fiance's) opinion- no offense to anyone is intended. It was really helpful for me to look through ROLs from past years, so I thought I should reciprocate by posting mine.

I felt so fortunate to get to interview at these programs and honestly thought each of them had notable strengths. The couples match certainly complicates things (and requires LOTS of negotiation) but luckily I feel like I would be happy at a lot of these places.

Let me know if you have any questions about my list or the programs I visited. I'm happy to give my advice/thoughts to next year's applicants too- just message me!

1) Vandy: I am absolutely in love with this program. Love the faculty, love the Chair and PD, love the residents. It's one of the most resident-centric programs I have seen, with the best teaching in the country. Very busy ED with so many critical care patients. Tons of trauma because of huge cachement area; great relationship with trauma surg. Curriculum extremely well thought-out, including no floor months. Residents are very close and are amazing people. Very diverse patient population (tertiary care, uninsured/underinsured, bread and butter EM, peds, immigrants). Nashville is a really fun city, great COL, easy to live right by the hospital. Grads go anywhere in the country they want. This program has everything I want.

2) UCLA-Olive View: Truly amazing PD who has the residents over to his incredible house (and he was the medical director for the show ER- I thought that was pretty cool), and distinguished faculty. Well thought-out integration of county and tertiary care experience. Ronald Reagan is an incredible facility, and Olive View is a nice little hospital that has a new ED opening this April. Program curriculum is "front-heavy" (easier 3rd and 4th years), which I liked. Intern year is getting much better every year- there will be 6 months of EM during intern year 2011-2012 and fewer medicine/surgery ward months. PD described the program as a "liberal arts EM program," which I thought was an apt description and a pretty neat concept. Amazing international opportunities and a lot of elective time. My Spanish is mediocre at best, and that seems pretty essential (especially at Olive View). Trauma not as extensive as at other LA area programs. COL high and lots of commuting in nasty LA traffic.

3) UNC: Residents were very happy and welcoming. I really liked the dual hospital system. I went back to do a second look and shadowed at both hospitals, which only served to increase my enthusiasm about their way of training. Of course, it does result in a lot of commuting but the traffic isn't bad so that didn't bother me. Amazing PD who is an outstanding teacher and very supportive of the residents. Program produces very well-trained EPs who also have satisfying personal lives. I love the location and the COL. Great moonlighting opportunities. Medicine and surgery ward months intern year (but at WakeMed so relatively laid-back). Not as much trauma as some other programs. Duke is obviously nearby so there is some division of patient populations, but I felt that was made up for by the WakeMed experience.

4) Highland: This is a well-known program that I felt lived up to its strong reputation. Faculty and residents are all very laid-back and fun. Strong family feel. A lot of the faculty trained at Highland (which may be a negative), but of course they stayed on faculty because they love it so much there. GI rounds TID seem like a great idea. Not an "official" Level 1 trauma center but there is none in the county, so serves as the de facto trauma center and see a lot of trauma. Not a stroke center, so do a month of neuro at UCSF. Amazing U/S experience. Peds is not integrated (no peds beds in HGH). Highest salary I saw on the trail (because they are unionized). Tahoe ski cabin sounds like fun. Sounds like they have everything worked out in regard to UCSF's EM program, but still made me a tiny tiny bit nervous.

5) BIDMC: The 3+1 (Junior attending year) is an amazing opportunity that I was very excited about. The curriculum is very well thought-out with a clear graduated responsibility. Rotate through 5 "affiliate" hospitals (community sites), which seems like a good experience to see how different systems work. Amazing EMR. Peds not integrated. Trauma pretty good but obviously there are a lot of hospitals (including four Level 1 trauma centers) in Boston. Relatively new program (10ish years) but has established itself extremely well. Had a great feeling about this program on the interview day and it was initially higher on my list; in the end, I decided that Boston is not at all ideal for me and that's what pushed it down the list a bit.

6) LA County: Another program that was initially much higher on my list. I was in awe of this program during the entire interview day. Very sick patients and a lot of trauma, in which EM has a huge role (they do essentially all procedures). EM also manages airways during codes on the floors (which at most other places is done by anesthesia or MICU)- I thought that was cool. Residents were really fun people and amazingly impressive. Work 12s all four years (except on peds). Facilities are amazing but very much divided up into pods. Not as many academic opportunities as a lot of other programs I looked at. This place, in my opinion, provides the best clinical training in the county but wasn't the best fit for my career aspirations and personal life once I got over the "sexiness" of the amazing clinical experience. Location also not ideal for me personally.

7) Wake Forest: I love this place. PD and Chair were both very enthusiastic. Very well-established (30 years old) program with a long history of producing great EPs. Residents were very family-oriented. Very busy ED, which pleasantly surprised me. Loved the city (can get an amazing house for very little money) but it did feel a bit isolated.

8) Emory: So many faculty, and a lot of them are really well known in EM. Increasing focus on research- get a lot of NIH funding. Grady is Grady- tons of trauma (only Level 1 in Atlanta). Hugely busy, exciting ED. Patient population at Grady not very diverse- primarily African American. ED divided into red (surgery/trauma) and blue (medical) pods. Residents were very diverse and most were single. Atlanta is amazing but of course the traffic sucks and it's relatively expensive. I expected to like the program more than I did, but I got a weird vibe on interview day. It was probably just me, though!

9) Indianapolis: LOVED this program but in the end the location just wasn't going to work well. Residents were incredible- really sociable, welcoming, and proud of their program. Outstanding clinical experience, with time split between Wishard (county) and Methodist (tertiary care). Residents have a huge role in their program (49% ownership) which I thought was amazing. Very much a team attitude. In ICUs, work one-on-one with CC-trained EM faculty- so a great experience. Residents were more regional than I had expected for a nationally well-known program.

10) BWH/MGH: Strong academic program. Well-known faculty and lots of research opportunities. Felt like this was a great place to jump-start a career in academics. Lots of elective time. Program grads are highly recruited and go wherever they want after training. From talking to the residents, seems like they do fewer procedures than most other programs I looked at. Also, medicine and surgery ward months. Residents said they felt a bit "looked down on" by other residency programs at the hospitals, for what that's worth. I'm not a fan of Boston.

11) UAB: Their PD is awesome. Very responsive program leadership. The residents are pretty Southern and a lot of them have kids. Great lifestyle. Do LOTS of moonlighting. 10-year old program but feels like it's been around longer (that's a good thing). Birmingham was a very pleasant surprise. Great physical set-up of the ED. Very impressed by the program but realized as interview season progressed that I wanted a place that produces more academicians.

12) Wash U: Very busy ED. Great elective opportunities. Strong off-service rotations, but lots of ward stuff 1st year. Division status (I asked about this and the program leadership said it's not an issue). Didn't really care for St. Louis.

13) Cincinnati: LOVED this program- would have been among my top few programs, but my fiancé really disliked it for his specialty. Oh well.

14) UVA: Very nice program leadership, good reputation. Relatively low volume (although also smaller class so it works out.) Not much trauma. I didn't really click with the residents. City was too small and isolated for me. Great program but not a good fit for me.

15) Michigan: Awesome program. Love the PD. Survival Flight sounds great, as does the trauma experience in Flint. I didn't really click with the residents. The main problem for me was the location. I just don't think I could tolerate those winters- I almost crashed my car about 5 times just while I was up there interviewing.

16) Duke: I thought the PD was incredible and the faculty were very impressive. Residents were nice but seemed pretty guy-dominated. The program seems to be still fighting some battles. Wasn't a good fit for me.

17) Louisville: Had a really weird interview day, in my opinion. I found the group interviews to be awkward. Relatively low volume ED but lots of trauma. Not what I was looking for, but it had a lot to offer.

18) Harbor: This one was a surprise. Very well known program with great pathology and amazing faculty, but not a good fit for me. I personally don't want to have to deal with the transition from 3 to 4 years and the move to a new physical ED. I greatly preferred USC-LAC, but that's obviously just me and it's good that not everyone loves the same program!

Previous years' ROL threads were a great help to me when I decided where to interview, so here's my part this year.

My list would also be much different were it not for 1) a spouse in the picture and 2) my interest in international EM, so take it with a grain of salt and to echo SuziQ, feel free to PM me with questions regarding any of the programs I interviewed at. Honestly, I'd be thrilled to land anywhere on my list.

1. Vandy Pros: INCREDIBLE faculty, residents, unparalleled teaching, the PD and chair are a dynamic duo that are very involved in resident education. Busy, busy university ED where you see ALL the trauma in a large catchment area, plus all the weird tertiary stuff, and your bread and butter. Great international opportunities with the Guyana residency, New Zealand, ect. Off service rotations are great, peds shifts are mixed into your regular ED months, residents are happy, 10 hr shifts with 1 hr built-in overlap, COL is incredibly low, Nashville has a great live music scene. Cons: Less diversity (in both staff and patient population), you're in a smaller southern city (+/-). Caveat: I rotated here, so I'm bias in that I'd already spent a month getting to know and love the people. But honestly, couldn't find a better program on the interview trail.

2. Brown Pros: this was the program that snuck up on me. I even considered canceling the interview. Like Vandy, a university program with a large single hospital program with a huge catchment area, very busy ED. Happy residents, warm faculty, great peds experience, strong support for international work and opportunities (currently setting up a training program in Nicaragua), 9 hrs shifts all 4 years, Providence has surprisingly low COL for the northeast and is a great little town with amazing food and recreational opportunities. Cons: It's in Rhode Island, 4 yrs > 3yrs.

3. New Mexico Pros: another single-hospital system with a huge catchment area (which I like for the reasons above), incredibly nice PD, down to earth faculty, happy happy residents, strong commitment to underserved care with a large indigent community, great international/wilderness opportunities, one of the best programs for critical care exposure, great reputation, large Spanish-speaking population, only 4 months of call all 3 yrs of residency, 9 hr shifts with 1 hr built-in overlap, you have skiing and hiking less than an hour away. Cons: the city's economy somewhat depressed, less job opportunities for spouse (this program would be my #1 or #2 if not for this), less ethnically diverse.

4. Highland Pros: well-respected program, hard-core county training, in a beautiful part of the country. Great service commitment, residents are happy, strong pedi exposure at CHO, tox at SFGH, 8 hr shifts. Cons: the faculty are quirky (+/-) and somewhat inbred, very weird interviews, draw your own labs as PGY1, ED itself felt a little small, not a Level 1, the cafeteria food (yes, that's picky).

5. OHSU Pros: old, well-respected program with happy residents in a beautiful part of the country, diverse hospital exposure (university, VA, community), faculty very supportive of residents, 1:1 with attending as PGY2.10 hr shifts PGY1, 8 hr shifts PGY 2-3. Cons: low-volume primary ED, only 1 mo elective time, have to drive a lot.

6. Stanford Pros: Dynamic faculty, content residents, 3 hospital system with exposure to university (Stanford), community (Kaiser) and county (Valley), an AMAZING amount of resources for anything you could possibly be interested in, great fellowships, great international and wilderness opportunities, beautiful part of the country to live,time for research/scholarly project built into rotation schedule. Cons: COL (highest of anywhere I interviewed-this was huge for me), low-volume at primary ED (Stanford) which is where you spend 1/3-1/2 of your time, intern year spent with a lot of off-service rotations (including medicine and surgery wards and NICU time), 12 hr shifts, "country club" feel (the catered lunch comes to mind).

7. Carolinas Pros: incredible community program with great training, I loved the PD and faculty I met, residents are very tight and social, 1 hr conferences daily instead of a 5 hr block, single-hospital system, great U/S experience, starting an international fellowship, great COL. Cons: I thought Vandy was a better fit for me when it comes to Southern programs, their int'l focus is in Tanzania (my interest is Latin America), medicine and peds wards months, Charlotte, a very "proud" program.

8. USC Pros: Incredible faculty and residents who obviously enjoy working at LAC, probably the most amazing county training out there (certainly busiest ED in the country). Great diversity in both staff and patients, huge volume ED that probably sees some of the craziest trauma and pathology, residents run their own "pods" and jail ED, commitment to indigent care, in SoCal. Cons: 12 hr shifts all 4 years, maybe a little too autonomous for my taste, can only do international rotations on your vacation time, LA is not my favorite city.

9. BWH Pros: amazing resources for international EM, great U/S program, friendly, well-connected faculty, great opportunities for research and an interesting mix of pathology, shifts are a mix of 8,9, and 12 hrs. Cons: residents were the geekiest bunch of the trail (but seemed very happy!), greater focus on research, Mass Gen's ED felt very cramped, COL in Boston, 4>3 yrs.

10. Emory Pros: great service commitment, huge county program that is also academic, diverse residents and patients, busy ED. Cons: the number of patients I saw in hallway beds!, not as much international support, very county feeling, strange interview.

11. Harbor UCLA Pros: amazing country program in LA, great training, well-respected, good autonomy. Cons: not much international support, LA.

12. Baylor Pros: amazing county hospital with incredible pathology and young, enthusiastic faculty. Shifts 8's on weekdays, 12's on weekends. Cons: too new of a residency program.

13. Duke Pros: Dynamic PD, good mix of faculty, happy residents, time for scholarly track, COL. Cons: not very diverse, Durham, still young residency program, hard PGY1 year with lots of off service rotations, not as many intl opportunities.

Hi, since it's been several years since the last major updated review, can someone familiar with the program (preferably a current resident or recent grad) comment on the following:

• Average number and length of shifts per month for each PGY year. Is there enough time to pursue academic/professional/extracurricular interests?

• Are shifts stratified by acuity (e.g., “trauma” shift or “resuscitative” shift), or is the entire spectrum of pathology seen on each shift? In other words, is trauma only seen during concentrated blocks of training or throughout the entire residency experience in the ED?

• Which team runs the trauma? Is it an alternating schedule with the surgery residents? Who does the procedures (intubations, chest tubes, resuscitative thoracotomies, etc), is it shared with anesthesia/surgery residents based on odd/even days or MRN numbers? Are there any emergency procedures that EM residents are not allowed to do (RSI, thoracotomies)?

• Is there frequent commuting between off-site locations (outside of the dedicated training blocks)?

• Is there an EMR? Is it Epic quality or a horrendous excuse for a computer program? Is there still paper charting?

• How is the scut work for EM and non-EM months (e.g., transporting own pts to CT, obtaining vitals).

• Is the environment family friendly? What percentage of the residents are married, have children?
Thank you so much for your time!

Hi, since it's been several years since the last major updated review, can someone familiar with the program (preferably a current resident or recent grad) comment on the following:

• Average number and length of shifts per month for each PGY year. Is there enough time to pursue academic/professional/extracurricular interests?

• Are shifts stratified by acuity (e.g., “trauma” shift or “resuscitative” shift), or is the entire spectrum of pathology seen on each shift? In other words, is trauma only seen during concentrated blocks of training or throughout the entire residency experience in the ED?

• Which team runs the trauma? Is it an alternating schedule with the surgery residents? Who does the procedures (intubations, chest tubes, resuscitative thoracotomies, etc), is it shared with anesthesia/surgery residents based on odd/even days or MRN numbers? Are there any emergency procedures that EM residents are not allowed to do (RSI, thoracotomies)?

• Is there frequent commuting between off-site locations (outside of the dedicated training blocks)?

• Is there an EMR? Is it Epic quality or a horrendous excuse for a computer program? Is there still paper charting?

• How is the scut work for EM and non-EM months (e.g., transporting own pts to CT, obtaining vitals).

• Is the environment family friendly? What percentage of the residents are married, have children?
Thank you so much for your time!

Here is some basic info that was requested a long time ago:

- Shifts: 18-20/month while in ED, 8 hour shifts at Highland, 10-12 hours at Children's hospital and Kaiser ED. Some months the workload is significantly less and you could definitely pursue other interests throughout residency -probably easier as an R3-R4 to engage in research.
- As an intern, you can see patients in high and lower acuity side in every shift. As R2s and beyond, you rotate between high/low acuity sides, but you can find a mixed bag of great cases on either side.
- Traumas: airways are for ED residents. We do dedicated trauma months as compared to traumas throughout the year, which is great!. You will get plenty of traumas on those dedicated months. Run by trauma service, but there is always an intern and senior ED resident rotating in the service. No fighting over procedures.
- Commuting is not bad, only 1 month in SF every year. The other sites (Kaiser, CHO) are within a few miles from Highland
- EMR is about to switch to epic next year (currently is Wellsoft in ED, Sorian for inpatient, some monster EMR for outpatient setting)
- Scut work in ED months is minimal if any at all, most non-ED rotations are just as good
- Family friendly for sure, I feel like everyone has had a baby, program is very accommodating with those issues. Majority of people married or in serious relationships, and 25% or so with babies.
- Other great things: strong social medicine component, ultrasound, pain & addiction medicine, and graduating seniors are so amazing and up to great things.
- Cherry on top: unionized (great salary in CA and housing stipend), one of the most diverse cities in the US, fun place to live, beautiful weather and outdoors, and so many amazing things all around.

Last edited:
It's a residents union (IM, EM, and surgery), pretty much there are negotiations and a contract comes along every couple years with improvements in salaries and other benefits and whatever other things are to be implemented on the floors that would improve residents' ability to work efficiently. We have things like double pay on holidays, housing stipend, and other smaller benefits, but overall it's nice to have some representation, we have resident delegates who work with administration and make sure we are treated fairly.

Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

Alameda Health/Highland: 4-year county program, all 8 hr shifts + 1 hr for sign-out. VERY STRONG social mission. everyone is very into social justice, substance abuse, etc.. to the point where I was dissuaded from ranking them higher; Im actually very into community outreach and it was a big part of my app, but it isn’t my identity, and when asking questions about trauma, critical care etc. every resident would emphasize how residents come here for the social mission. Anyway. Definitely a friendly vibe here everyone gets along well. Robust (top-notch) ultrasound division, tons of research available. Decent volume, decently high acuity. All ortho reductions go to EM! All trauma airways but how trauma is run is somewhat complicated; EM runs all level 3 traumas (lower acuity traumas), and trauma runs all level1 and level 2 traumas; you get your level 1/2 trauma experience on dedicated trauma rotations (PGY1, PGY3). GI rounds = residents and faculty eat together every shift for high yield topic/case presentations. Residents Hang out a lot. Night shifts scheduled together or on blocks. TEE not currently being used in ED, but working on getting up and running again. Moonlighting at PGY4. Great outdoors in area and within few hours driving.

Sounds like woke residency is woke. Lame, because that's not what EM actually is at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

Alameda Health/Highland: 4-year county program, all 8 hr shifts + 1 hr for sign-out. VERY STRONG social mission. everyone is very into social justice, substance abuse, etc.. to the point where I was dissuaded from ranking them higher; Im actually very into community outreach and it was a big part of my app, but it isn’t my identity, and when asking questions about trauma, critical care etc. every resident would emphasize how residents come here for the social mission. Anyway. Definitely a friendly vibe here everyone gets along well. Robust (top-notch) ultrasound division, tons of research available. Decent volume, decently high acuity. All ortho reductions go to EM! All trauma airways but how trauma is run is somewhat complicated; EM runs all level 3 traumas (lower acuity traumas), and trauma runs all level1 and level 2 traumas; you get your level 1/2 trauma experience on dedicated trauma rotations (PGY1, PGY3). GI rounds = residents and faculty eat together every shift for high yield topic/case presentations. Residents Hang out a lot. Night shifts scheduled together or on blocks. TEE not currently being used in ED, but working on getting up and running again. Moonlighting at PGY4. Great outdoors in area and within few hours driving.

Sounds like woke residency is woke. Lame, because that's not what EM actually is at all.

God it sounds awful. We get a bunch of Highland folks at my hospital. They are good. But I'll tell ya
not a single doc whose been out for more than 3 years focuses on the social mission.
the fastest way to the smallest paycheck and the quickest burnout.

Reactions: 1 user
God it sounds awful. We get a bunch of Highland folks at my hospital. They are good. But I'll tell ya
not a single doc whose been out for more than 3 years focuses on the social mission.
the fastest way to the smallest paycheck and the quickest burnout.

Delusion is protective from burnout.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd rather be delusional or grumpy. I guess it depends if you have awareness of your delusion?