Alaska Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imfrankie

Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have informed or otherwise thoughts on anesthesiologist work in the AK? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of hot babes there.

2 of the guys from my class (UH-Case) signed with a group in AK. My understanding is, it's MD only, pretty much everything except cardiac (covered by another group or perhaps a division of the same group) and neonates (go to Seattle). I understand it's very lucrative although I can't quote exact numbers. Sounds like a decent gig, if you want to live in AK.

2 of the guys from my class (UH-Case) signed with a group in AK. My understanding is, it's MD only, pretty much everything except cardiac (covered by another group or perhaps a division of the same group) and neonates (go to Seattle). I understand it's very lucrative although I can't quote exact numbers. Sounds like a decent gig, if you want to live in AK.

Did they go with the Providence or the Denali Group in Anchorage, do you know?

(Fortunately I would be taking my own hot babe)

Lucrative across the board in AK - anes, GSx, ortho, neuroSx, rads, EM. A good friend is rads, and her group (from Seattle) covers a hospital near to Anchorage, and, believe it or not, the biggest time the locals look for locums/part timers is in June and July - not in the winter.

And when I say "lucrative", I mean filthy lucre. Serious.

We have two guys from our CA-3 class who got offers with a group in Anchorage, but one had to bow out apparently because of visa issues. The other is doing a peds fellowship and then joining the group.

The thing I've heard about Alaska is that the groups get burned a lot by people who come work for 2-3 years and then decide to leave because they find out they or their significant others can't stand the weather/lack of sunlight in winter. A good reason to want to be in Alaska or a proven track record of having lived there for an extended time could make you attractive.

Lucrative across the board in AK - anes, GSx, ortho, neuroSx, rads, EM. A good friend is rads, and her group (from Seattle) covers a hospital near to Anchorage, and, believe it or not, the biggest time the locals look for locums/part timers is in June and July - not in the winter.

And when I say "lucrative", I mean filthy lucre. Serious.

2 pain guys and a peds guy I knew took jobs there. If you can take the location, the pay and the benefits were amazing.
One of the pain guys wanted to retire, yes retire, after 10 years.
If I could handle the weather, I'd be there. Unfortunately, I can't even handle the pacific north west!:laugh:
Large signing bonus for 2 year contract as well.

2 pain guys and a peds guy I knew took jobs there. If you can take the location, the pay and the benefits were amazing.
One of the pain guys wanted to retire, yes retire, after 10 years.
If I could handle the weather, I'd be there. Unfortunately, I can't even handle the pacific north west!:laugh:
Large signing bonus for 2 year contract as well.

Sure, I'll take a large sign-on bonus for a two year commitment, if, and only if, that sign-on bonus was 1 mil + :laugh: I figured that I'll pack the bags with Prozac for the two year stint and then come back to civilization to pay off some debt....:)

Anchorage is actually a decent place to live and the only place I would consider in AK. Its winter is probably milder than MN/ND/WI etc. Still, you need a very good reason to move up there.

I have been reading some of the posts here and had to register just to respond to this thread. For those of you who are interested in learning about anesthesia practice opportunities in Anchorage Alaska get in touch with me. I came to Anchorage in 1996 and thought I may stay a year or two. Well, it is now 15 years later and I am still with the same group and can't imagine practicing anywhere else. We have a great practice, all MD with subspecialty teams in cardiac, pediatric, and acute pain anesthesia. There are several members of our group who will be either retiring soon or cutting back to half time. We are actively recruiting with a major emphasis on cardiac and pediatric fellowship trained anesthesiologists.

We all work extremely hard here but have ample time off to pursue our other interests and hobbies. If you enjoy hunting, fishing, skiing, biking, camping, wildlife, flying, boating, kayaking or 20 hours of summer daylight this is the place for you. Heck, you can even run into Sarah Palin at Costco!

Today I am completing a 24 hour OB shift, pretty typical with 4 c sections and about 4 labor epidurals so far. The good news is I am off tomorrow and will be able to get my driveway clear for my summer toys, I'm a sports car nut!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks AK. Definitely would like to learn more--and PM'ed you.
How's the hospital, group, staff atmosphere where you are? Folks happy, pleasant to be around?

I have been reading some of the posts here and had to register just to respond to this thread. For those of you who are interested in learning about anesthesia practice opportunities in Anchorage Alaska get in touch with me. I came to Anchorage in 1996 and thought I may stay a year or two. Well, it is now 15 years later and I am still with the same group and can't imagine practicing anywhere else. We have a great practice, all MD with subspecialty teams in cardiac, pediatric, and acute pain anesthesia. There are several members of our group who will be either retiring soon or cutting back to half time. We are actively recruiting with a major emphasis on cardiac and pediatric fellowship trained anesthesiologists.

We all work extremely hard here but have ample time off to pursue our other interests and hobbies. If you enjoy hunting, fishing, skiing, biking, camping, wildlife, flying, boating, kayaking or 20 hours of summer daylight this is the place for you. Heck, you can even run into Sarah Palin at Costco!

Today I am completing a 24 hour OB shift, pretty typical with 4 c sections and about 4 labor epidurals so far. The good news is I am off tomorrow and will be able to get my driveway clear for my summer toys, I'm a sports car nut!

Sounds awesome... Except for this: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USAK0012

I started a conversation with/to you, I'm hoping that's the equivalent of a PM on this board...

One of the peds surgeons I worked with last year took a job in Alaska. Think it was anchorage... essentially he works one week a month and makes as much as he did at his former job.

When you guys talk about "MD only practices," is it safe to assume you mean there's no CRNAs and that you're receptive to DO gas guys?

Does anyone on this chain actually work as an anesthesiologist in Alaska. I'd be interested to talk to anyone who is currently working there, but this is a revival of a pretty old post.

I've been telling my wife since before med school that we're going to move to AK for a couple years after residency to pay off loans in 1-2 yrs. She hasn't bought in yet but like in inception, I've planted the idea. Now I just water it a little with a monthly reminder of all the hiking and fishing we'll get to do there. I even had her read this thread today!:laugh:

I've been telling my wife since before med school that we're going to move to AK for a couple years after residency to pay off loans in 1-2 yrs. She hasn't bought in yet but like in inception, I've planted the idea. Now I just water it a little with a monthly reminder of all the hiking and fishing we'll get to do there. I even had her read this thread today!:laugh:

Good luck with that. If your wife was doing that to you I think the success rate would be better. If you go there and she's not happy ....... you won't be happy either

If your wife isn't even more enthusiastic about Alaska than you are, DON'T GO! I grew up in Alaska, and I'm planning on going back once this whole med school and residency mess is done. Every year I saw a common pattern unfold in my military town: couples would get transferred up there in June, and the husband would immediately fall in love with the state and the hiking, fishing, hunting etc. The wife would complain about the lack of decent malls and the cold. By the following January she'd be back down in the Lower 48, along with half of Husband's stuff. He would then be stuck finishing the remaining eighteen months of his tour of duty in a state that instantly became a lot more cold and lonely. As others on this board have said, happy wife, happy life. No matter what the salary difference between Alaska and the Lower 48 is, it isn't going to be enough to offset the cost of a divorce.

The only thing more expensive than a wife is an ex-wife.

Reactions: 4 users
If your wife isn't even more enthusiastic about Alaska than you are, DON'T GO! I grew up in Alaska, and I'm planning on going back once this whole med school and residency mess is done. Every year I saw a common pattern unfold in my military town: couples would get transferred up there in June, and the husband would immediately fall in love with the state and the hiking, fishing, hunting etc. The wife would complain about the lack of decent malls and the cold. By the following January she'd be back down in the Lower 48, along with half of Husband's stuff. He would then be stuck finishing the remaining eighteen months of his tour of duty in a state that instantly became a lot more cold and lonely. As others on this board have said, happy wife, happy life. No matter what the salary difference between Alaska and the Lower 48 is, it isn't going to be enough to offset the cost of a divorce.
Ha! Excellent. No worries, my wife's happiness will be the largest deciding factor when choosing a job. I've already dragged her across the country for med school. It helps she has a sister that lives in AK, on Kodiak Island. While I dream about Alaska, I realize it will likely only be a vacation destination for me. Doesn't hurt me to keep trying :thumbup:

I don't know about anesthesiology in particular, but for physicians in general there's always plenty of locums gigs in Alaska if you want an extended working vacation. There's more demand for locums workers in the summer when the state's population swells, which also happens to be the season with the most daylight and best fishing and hunting opportunities.