Albert Einstein College of Medicine taken over by Montefiore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bulbasaur

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are medical schools usually owned by these giant corporations?

Another example of how expensive it is to train physicians and conduct research. Tuition alone usually don't cover the actual cost of training a medical student.

Another example of how expensive it is to train physicians and conduct research. Tuition alone usually don't cover the actual cost of training a medical student.
Not even close. The last time I looked at this, tuition covered about 20% (even at private MD schools).

Not even close. The last time I looked at this, tuition covered about 20% (even at private MD schools).

How does Carib manage to turn a profit? Do they really cut THAT many corners?

I really saw AECOM as a tremendous medical school. Does their perception - fairly or unfairly - take a hit nationally as a result of this? I'm sure they will land solidly on their feet, but does their research output take a hit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently they do run more of the enterprise on tuition but I don't have independent knowledge of the financing of DO schools.
So what/who cover the other expenses of these private MD schools?

I really saw AECOM as a tremendous medical school. Does their perception - fairly or unfairly - take a hit nationally as a result of this? I'm sure they will land solidly on their feet, but does their research output take a hit?
Nobody knows but I think the merger will be great for AECOM in the long run if yeshiva gives up total control of AECOM (which I don't think is happening). Essentially, they would be parting ways with a bankrupt university and becoming affiliated with a very financially stable hospital system (I believe I read somewhere that montefiore has been the only hospital in NY to actually make a profit after the ACA was put into place). However, I think research wise, it is better to be affiliated with an university, albeit yeshiva doesn't really do much research itself in the first place.

I think it will ultimately be like the system mayo has (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is an undergraduate university associated with mayo medical school).

At the end of the day, these are things that hospital CEOs and school deans (top of the food chain) worry about. The extent to which their actions affect those on the bottom of the food chain (medical students like me) will hopefully be insubstantial.

From the article:
It states that in addition to losses in research grant funding, Y.U. is primarily suffering because it has lost money on its investments and it is spending too much on student financial aid, faculty and facilities…..
They don't state this, but I think this because of their heavy investment with Bernie Madoff.

Last edited:
I thought research costs were covered by NIH/foundation funding?

The machine (infrastructure) necessary to be successful at securing grants must constantly be renewed and must be in place before you can get a grant.
huh. and here i thought that med schools were getting rich off tuition...

From the article: They don't state this, but I think this because of their heavy investment with Bernie Madoff.
Actually, only a small portion of Yeshiva's money problems can be attributed to Madoff. It was estimated Yeshiva lost $100 million from their >$ 1 billion endowment due to Madoff. Universities typically spend 5% of an endowment per year, so that represents only $5 million per year in lost revenue. Yeshiva is currently looking at a budget deficit north of $100 million per year. Most of YU's financial issues are due to dramatically increased spending over the past few years, without increased revenue. Giving Einstein to Montefiore will help Yeshiva manage its deficit somewhat, and Montefiore's strong financial situation can only benefit Einstein.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
there is no way it costs ~300k a year to train a medical student.

throw in whatever unreasonable costs you want, there is no way you can hit that number.

Its a graduate student and why does it matter?

Are you implying that grad students at Berkley don't know how to regurgitate information they find and do simple math?

I think this will help out the school in the long run. The hospital will take on more of the cost of running the school which benefits them in the long run anyway.