Alibaba (BABA) IPO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12balla

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IPO is today, selling at $68/share. Anybody going in or know when it will be open to the public to buy shares?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like those who got in for the ipo made a 30% profit in one day. Not bad...

Only really gonna happen unless you have stupid crazy money(in terms of being able to get in), to the point where I doubt any attendings would be even close or you work for them or a subsidiary. But yeah, pretty good return

lol IPOs are anything but public. No one gets in at those prices.

Reactions: 1 user
I have my 401k with Fidelity and they were allowing people to get in on the IPO, but you had to have at least $500k in your account. My financial advisor tried to get some but said all of the shares went to institutions.

I have my 401k with Fidelity and they were allowing people to get in on the IPO, but you had to have at least $500k in your account. My financial advisor tried to get some but said all of the shares went to institutions.

I wonder how concrete the usage of "let" there is. 500k is chump change for IPOs, I'd think we're talking 10x+ that at the minimum just to actually get a shot at any

I wonder how concrete the usage of "let" there is. 500k is chump change for IPOs, I'd think we're talking 10x+ that at the minimum just to actually get a shot at any

Yeah, those are the minimum requirements. They say nothing of guaranteeing you will get any.

I've gotten in pre-IPO for big IPOs like Visa, FB, etc. You have to have a strong relationship and a large account. Didn't ask for BABA, better option was to play YHOO in the weeks leading up to the BABA IPO

I tried the YHOO play and bought some calls but it didn't pay off for me. YHOO dropped just before expiration. I have some more calls expiring this Friday that are starting to recover, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Baba has so many risky things about it that I wouldn't touch individual shares. I'd even prefer if my mutual funds avoided it, but I don't make that decision. Before you buy, I would recommend that you do some reading on how the company got a U.S. IPO and what you are buying into.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2014/09/15/four-reasons-to-avoid-the-alibaba-ipo/

That link includes some of the pitfalls. While stocks all include risk, alibaba tops the list in my opinion.

None of the mutual funds or ETFs in my 401k have any shares. I was just hoping to get some in the IPO (or through the YHOO options) with some play money.

LOL.

Jon Stewart had a great segment. The IPO is not for AliBaba itself but for a holding company that owns AliBaba that is incorporated in the Caribbean. And because of Chinese securities laws, they did not list them\selves in the Chinese or Hong Kong exchanges, instead putting it on NYSE.

Like the WhiteCoatInvestor, I went in on IPO day as well an I didn't have to spend 1 penny. :D