All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
image.jpg
I made this yesterday for National Cat Day (yeah, I'm one of those) and I realized I've never introduced my cats here :)
Top left is Dexter, I adopted him from the Feral Cat Project here in St. Kitts. Top right is Dizzy, who I adopted with my fiancé and is keeping him company back in Ohio. Bottom left is Nate, who is the first cat I ever owned and lives with my parents <3 I clearly need a fourth cat to fill that last square ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 186600
I made this yesterday for National Cat Day (yeah, I'm one of those) and I realized I've never introduced my cats here :)
Top left is Dexter, I adopted him from the Feral Cat Project here in St. Kitts. Top right is Dizzy, who I adopted with my fiancé and is keeping him company back in Ohio. Bottom left is Nate, who is the first cat I ever owned and lives with my parents <3 I clearly need a fourth cat to fill that last square ;)
Fluffy orange boys are my favorite :love:

IMG_0045.jpg Hey guys! This is my 5 year mini schnauzer, Brillo! (Yes, named after the Brillo Pad :laugh:) He is like an old man with his white beard and mustache. But though he's so cute, all he does is bark. All day.

7288_10200898679285286_1322262858_n.jpg This is one of my two cats, Almond. She's gorgeous, but has that crazy tortieshell vibe. She's super needy and clingy when she wants to be, demanding neck scratches with constant meows.
64508_4549540532608_1423168101_n.jpg This photo is probably more accurate.

400362_4536260320611_1225597927_n.jpg And this is my other baby, Wallace. He is exactly like the picture says, a lovable lump. He lays around and lets you do basically anything to him. He's a huge sweet heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
She was so proud of herself.
image.jpg

Last edited:
BI, is she a rat terrier? She is adorable! :)
Thank you! :) I DNA tested her just for kicks and all that they could figure out for sure is that she's a quarter staffy, an eighth boxer, and probably has some Mexican hairless and Irish setter in there. She's a giant mutt haha

My husband and I adopted our first puppy a couple weeks ago. He's SOOOO cute but very naughty. He goes potty outside, but will come in and go on our rugs right after. He also chews everything BUT his toys. I've bought him about 10 toys and he is interested in them for maybe a minute- he'd much rather rip off chunks of toilet paper or munch on a shoe. I've been using Positive reinforcement tactics to train and I'm not how effective that is. We have another dog but got her when she was about 2 so never had to go through the puppy stages! Do you guys have advice about good chew toys or potty training or anything? He's ~10 wks old. View attachment 186072

I got my german shepherd puppy at 7 weeks old she was my first puppy as well. To potty train her, we hung bells on the house door and when we caught her having an accident in the house, we'd quickly pick her up, tap the bell with her paw, and bring her outside. She was fully potty trained within a week (except for excited peeing). So I definitely recommend the bell trick for potty training. Also, if he has an accident and you can't get to him quick enough or if you don't catch him in the act, take him into a different room when you discover it and keep him in that room alone while you clean it up. If he watches you clean it up, it could make him think it's okay. If he keeps going in the same spot(s) in the house, there are special sprays you can buy that somehow discourage them from going in that spot. I got one and it worked for me and my puppy.
As for the chewing, we got my puppy a wooden chew stick that she absolutely loves. Stuffing kong toys with a treat is another good one. You can also get a rubber Nyla bone and keep it in the freezer so when your puppy does chew it, it can help sooth the pain from teething. And you can get a spray that dogs hate the taste of and that will prevent them from chewing anything you spray. So spray your shoes, or whatever else he chews. My dog loves chewing up toilet paper too so I simply keep bathroom doors closed and don't let her get near paper or cardboard products. But the wooden toys seem to be a favorite chew toy for my puppy. Hope you find something useful in all this!

My new pigeon!!!!!! Getting an armful of bruises and scratches from a mean trumpeter swan at the wildlife center tonight was totally worth it since I ended up coming home with a homeless domestic pigeon :) He/she was likely a racing pigeon before getting lost, so I'll probably have to work a little to get him/her tamed down to the point where he/she is as friendly as Minaj was, but he/she seemed pretty tame and not too scared of me, so hopefully it won't be too hard. Next step is coming up with a name... or perhaps deciding if it seems like more of a boy or a girl so I can stop referring to it as he/she.
photo 2 copy.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
My cute problem piggy is going into exotics again tomorrow. She's put on over 100g with no diet change and I'm a bit concerned because she's never gained this much weight in the winter months. I also feel like she's been a bit more sensitive about her abdomen (which she's always been weird about) so we're not sure if her cystitis is worse or something more serious is going on. Here's to another funny haircut after an ultrasound and hopefully no bad news.

ETA: USG was a little low, and there was some blood and protein on her UA. Going for the full ultrasound this time instead of just a focal so we can check everything.

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My parents found this one and a sibling in their recycling bin at home. Apparently one of them is becoming my birthday present. I'm honestly not sure how to react.
They're at the vet right now, apparently "my cat" weighs half a pound.
10749415_10152435751398015_417563454_n.jpg

My parents found this one and a sibling in their recycling bin at home. Apparently one of them is becoming my birthday present. I'm honestly not sure how to react.
They're at the vet right now, apparently "my cat" weighs half a pound.
10749415_10152435751398015_417563454_n.jpg
D'aww :love: Boy or girl?

Piggy did great today.

No masses or anything were seen on her ultrasound, although apparently her gallbladder was a bit enlarged. They did see a bit of a decrease in the distinction between the cortex and medulla in her kidneys, which is likely due to fat or mineralization and possibly indicates some more chronic changes (official report isn't in yet). Her bladder still has sludge and is thickened, but no stones noted. The weird finding was a random effusion around the bladder, so they decided to do a cysto and send her urine out for culture since right now were assuming the bladder is the source of the effusion d/t inflammation. We also ran a Chem screen to check renal values which are WNL at the moment, so we at least still have functioning kidneys.

U/A off the cysto came back isosthenuric instead of slightly hyposthenuric like her free catch samples did, so that's also good.

In a couple days, I'll probably separate and monitor her water intake vs Mowgli's to see if she's drinking more or less than him, which will determine if she actually is polydipsic or if I need to syringe feed her water/Pedialyte to help with diuresis.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
10689907_407394566081558_8610351619002707135_n.jpg

Blurry picture of my Juniper! She's 6w old, getting her dewormer and vaccinations soon. I'm going up to visit her this weekend :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Piggy owning friends, do any of your pigs have a toy they particularly like to play with?

Mowgli, my male piggy, has become a bit bored I think. He's taken to chewing (pretty consistently) on the ramp to their upper level...he's actually completely chewed through one of the supportive wooden rods so I probably need to get a new ramp.

They used to have a chew log, but I don't want to buy another one as they're made with alfalfa and honey, and my piggies need to have a low Ca diet. Also, they'd just chew 24/7 on that, and since they're in my bedroom, it's just straight up annoying (can't lie about that).

I've got two bird toys, a hay pigloo and a tunnel in there right now. I've had ping pong balls, cat toys, toilet paper tubes and crinkled up paper in the past, so I'm just looking for new ideas to try to keep things fun and exciting for him.

Piggy owning friends, do any of your pigs have a toy they particularly like to play with?

Mowgli, my male piggy, has become a bit bored I think. He's taken to chewing (pretty consistently) on the ramp to their upper level...he's actually completely chewed through one of the supportive wooden rods so I probably need to get a new ramp.

They used to have a chew log, but I don't want to buy another one as they're made with alfalfa and honey, and my piggies need to have a low Ca diet. Also, they'd just chew 24/7 on that, and since they're in my bedroom, it's just straight up annoying (can't lie about that).

I've got two bird toys, a hay pigloo and a tunnel in there right now. I've had ping pong balls, cat toys, toilet paper tubes and crinkled up paper in the past, so I'm just looking for new ideas to try to keep things fun and exciting for him.
i unfortunately have no suggestions for you. every toy item i've ever bought has been completely ignored. penny prefers to express her feelings by chewing on her cage bars (RAWR so very bad for her teeth). not sure if you have calcium issues, but penny just found herself upgraded to bottle water in an attempt to cut out even a very minimal source of calcium in her water (and washed soaked veggies to promote increased water intake).

i wonder if intermittently substituting one of those oxbow hay stackers for they hay ration would provide entertainment? theyre timothy hay so no calcium worries like with alfalfa. they're essentially compressed disks of hay that require some tearing apart to eat http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=10957

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/accessories looks like oxbow makes a bunch of timothy chew products

i unfortunately have no suggestions for you. every toy item i've ever bought has been completely ignored. penny prefers to express her feelings by chewing on her cage bars (RAWR so very bad for her teeth). not sure if you have calcium issues, but penny just found herself upgraded to bottle water in an attempt to cut out even a very minimal source of calcium in her water (and washed soaked veggies to promote increased water intake).

i wonder if intermittently substituting one of those oxbow hay stackers for they hay ration would provide entertainment? theyre timothy hay so no calcium worries like with alfalfa. they're essentially compressed disks of hay that require some tearing apart to eat http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=10957

I do have some hay stackers, so maybe I'll just throw one in their cage. Not a bad idea. I also now have a cat litter box in there for a "kitchen" so I was thinking of just evening dumping piles of hay in there for them to play in.

Haven't switched to bottled water (I used to use Brita for a while, but with the two of them and 4 water bottles, it's a lot) but I'm actually going to start syringe feeding her some super dilute Naked Green/Blue Machine juice or Strawberry Pedialyte as her water intake isn't quite as high as we'd like it. I might go back to Brita water...it won't be as much of a PITA to fill now that I have a designated piggy mini fridge in my bedroom.

Hey everyone. So my little kitten has a recurring eye infection, partially due to non-compliance to the antibiotic regime by my family who's watching her until I can take her home. I'm home for the holidays so I've taken over/restarted her antibiotic eye creme because her eye crusted shut last night. I read the label on the tube but I'm not sure what the general proper procedure is for applying eye cream? My parents can't really remember, and the vet office is closed tomorrow.

Hey everyone. So my little kitten has a recurring eye infection, partially due to non-compliance to the antibiotic regime by my family who's watching her until I can take her home. I'm home for the holidays so I've taken over/restarted her antibiotic eye creme because her eye crusted shut last night. I read the label on the tube but I'm not sure what the general proper procedure is for applying eye cream? My parents can't really remember, and the vet office is closed tomorrow.
Usually we do a small strip two - three times daily.

Usually we do a small strip two - three times daily.
Right but is that in the corners, over the whole eye, lid open or closed? I know it's probably common sense but I just want to make sure. I've been lightly spreading a strip over the closed lid.

Right but is that in the corners, over the whole eye, lid open or closed? I know it's probably common sense but I just want to make sure. I've been lightly spreading a strip over the closed lid.
Over the whole eye, lid open. You can put the ointment in your pocket for a few minutes to warm it up to body temp; they don't seem to mind it as much that way.

International Cat Care has a lot of good how to vids for thigns like administering tablets etc ^_^ They have one for eye meds:

my typical spiel for people with cat eyes: 1/4 inch strip applied twice daily. I pull the lower lid down and squeeze ointment onto the conjunctiva there to help spread the ointment out. You don't need as much as most people apply. Ointments spread pretty easily.

Reactions: 1 users
Sweet Pea's still scared of me, but that doesn't stop her from being adorable.
*IMG_7998 copy.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
My mom just called and told me that our family cat was euthanized this morning. He apparently was in renal failure and had abscesses inside his mouth. He was indoor/outsdoor, but preferred being outside most of the time, so they didn't know he was sick. We got him when I was in 6th grade :( so sad...

My mom just called and told me that our family cat was euthanized this morning. He apparently was in renal failure and had abscesses inside his mouth. He was indoor/outsdoor, but preferred being outside most of the time, so they didn't know he was sick. We got him when I was in 6th grade :( so sad...
I'm so sorry, HTML. Sending thoughts your way :(.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I just found out my sister's dog (Boston terrier) was attacked by her boyfriend's dog (pittie) last night. Her dog seems to be doing okay, but has bites all over her neck.

Seriously. She was like dragging my notes away from me. She's so funny though. If you rub her rump, she'll purr and kick out a leg.

It's fun to see other cavy slaves on SDN. Tell your piggies, my piggy Gizmo, says hello!
IMG_20141107_232108.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
My guinea pigs are definitely the overlords of the house.

My (new) bubby. Poor guy is on 'kennel rest' for going on 9 weeks now

10599637_10205316200727234_561642134670196385_n_zpsdfdf3c51.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Just bought Mowgli and Solstice some piggy holiday outfits. I'll be sure to post pictures once I put them in them.
OMGGGGGGG SOOOO CUTE! Can't wait to see them.

And I agree, where'd you get them?