All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
These are my lovely pets that do everything together.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I think your questions could be considered asking for medical advice, which isn't what SDN is for, so I would say talk to the vet again. Your kitty is cute though!

I apologize - it wasn't my intention to come across that way! I can see how I did though... I blame my frustration and tendency for offering up excess information. :p

As form of apology, I offer up this picture my dad took this morning as he was leaving for work! Yep, that is my weird kitty sleeping by the shoes, where she normally waits for me to come home but apparently slept last night (instead of on my bed, like a normal cat). She is indeed strange. :laugh:

20150217_052243.jpg

talk to your vet. Blue Buffalo is NOT an appropriate limited ingredient diet for food allergies though. There is cross contamination and grains have nothing to do with common food allergies in cats.

Most common: chicken, dairy, fish. They still occur in less than 1% of cats. Blue buffalo is also quite rich and can cause GI upset in some animals.

If you're really concerned about food allergy, you have to do a prescription food. I personally prefer the novel ingredient diets to the hydrolyzed diets but both are acceptable.

I had no idea! I knew about prescription diets but was clueless about this aspect of BB. Thank you for the info!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update, miss Juniper's spay went very well, she is currently walking around the apartment, coned, and can't figure out why her nerf dart won't stay still. Or the floor. Or the walls.

Reactions: 3 users
My sweet puppy, who is nearly 11 months now, is going in for his neuter tomorrow plus a multitude of other things. Hoping all goes well. I'll be able to observe everything they are doing as well. He's also getting his hips and elbows radiographed; I'm pretty certain he has hip dysplasia, but still would like to think I might be a bit too paranoid and its nothing.

I've determined the only cure for my continuing migraine (currently day 8 with no end in sight) is a puppy. Specifically a little border collie that I've named Zaius.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424397295.557503.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424397331.508400.jpg

Met him tonight. He has the sweetest temperament. Parents are both wonderful dogs. He's coming home in two weeks. My first dog on my own.

Reactions: 6 users
I've determined the only cure for my continuing migraine (currently day 8 with no end in sight) is a puppy. Specifically a little border collie that I've named Zaius.
View attachment 189535View attachment 189536
Met him tonight. He has the sweetest temperament. Parents are both wonderful dogs. He's coming home in two weeks. My first dog on my own.
I had my first multiple-day migraine a few months ago. Excruciating...nothing would work. I hope you feel better. The puppy should help.

I had my first multiple-day migraine a few months ago. Excruciating...nothing would work. I hope you feel better. The puppy should help.
Thanks. I have an MRI scheduled for Monday since my symptoms are totally different than my normal migraines. Puppy will definitely help. Hard to focus on anything but the handsome baby.

He's absolutely adorable, hedgie. I hope you feel better soon. Sending all the good thoughts your way :)

Thanks. I have an MRI scheduled for Monday since my symptoms are totally different than my normal migraines. Puppy will definitely help. Hard to focus on anything but the handsome baby.
Fingers crossed for good results!

soooooooooooo cute!!! congrats!

My sweet pup did great for his surgery. He is home passed out on my bed right now. Hips and elbows look good from what we can tell. Just waiting on the radiologist's report. So relieved!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
did you have a PennHip series done?

Not PennHip but OFA rads done (and they did a bunch of other views, too. Being thorough, I guess...) Not going to send them in, he is a rescue and a mix.

In honor of Dental Month, my cat has a nasty rot tooth I just found. This is the first time he's let me get a good look in there (I've been introducing brushing and he's tolerating it well). Le sigh. My employee discount doesn't kick in until April.

I honestly couldn't tell you how to grade PennHip rads, but give me some OFA views, and I'll give it my best shot. I find looking at those are actually pretty fun.

Juniper keeps slipping out of her collar when I'm not looking, so my roommate and I fashioned a sort of yarn harness to keep her collar on.

I honestly couldn't tell you how to grade PennHip rads, but give me some OFA views, and I'll give it my best shot. I find looking at those are actually pretty fun.
you can't grade PennHIP films, they're done by a special set of statistics through the PennHIP people ;) its crazy because there is so much variation across breeds (something will look f-ed up and actually be decent for that breed...)

i'd be curious of others opinions, but i really think the pennhip series gives you a much better idea of what the hips look like. its insane to look at straight leg films and compare them to distracted ones and have them go from being really good looking to really terrible.

you can't grade PennHIP films, they're done by a special set of statistics through the PennHIP people ;) its crazy because there is so much variation across breeds (something will look f-ed up and actually be decent for that breed...)

i'd be curious of others opinions, but i really think the pennhip series gives you a much better idea of what the hips look like. its insane to look at straight leg films and compare them to distracted ones and have them go from being really good looking to really terrible.

See, hence why I don't know what I'm doing when I look at them. I can definitely point out a set taken for PennHip... yep... I kind of like utilizing both methods and if I had a dog I wanted to do OFA rads on and send them in, I might opt to do PennHip at the same time... Because they really are giving you two different kinds of information.

I've heard they're great and know the basics, just not all the details. My bf probably knows a bit more since he just finished Radiology here and had to review the whole process, but I'm too lazy even though he's sitting next time.

This is my dog Emma, she gets sort of upset when we put her in outfits, but she's a pug and sort of made for it...:)
10848013_912645152094000_6660007133860825050_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
My cat is addicted to my keyboard and won't leave it alone, but he has a dangerous history of stepping on just the right keys to erase, save, and close whole documents. Or when he's feeling lazy he simply makes the computer crash and shut off. It's a good thing cats are so cute.:yeahright:

My cat is addicted to my keyboard and won't leave it alone, but he has a dangerous history of stepping on just the right keys to erase, save, and close whole documents. Or when he's feeling lazy he simply makes the computer crash and shut off. It's a good thing cats are so cute.:yeahright:
If I fits, I sits.

My cat has a thing for my phone charger. I've woken up too many times to it being disconnected and my phone didn't charge at all overnight, lol. He also has a thing for chewing plants. Being the good cat mom that I am, I went out and bought him those cat grass planter things. Did he take any interest? Nope. Good thing I have my rabbit.

My cat one time walked across my laptop and she must have perfectly hit buttons because she made it so that the screen flipped upside down.

(Ctrl, Alt and down arrow together flip it upside down. Ctlr, Alt and up arrow flip it back).

Reactions: 1 users
My cat one time walked across my laptop and she must have perfectly hit buttons because she made it so that the screen flipped upside down.

(Ctrl, Alt and down arrow together flip it upside down. Ctlr, Alt and up arrow flip it back).
Not on my computer....:(

Cats should teach computer classes, they know all the shortcuts.

So I got muh kitties a cat shaped cat condo. They love it.
Muh kitties.png

Reactions: 3 users
Dear piggies,

Just because I move in my bed, does not mean I am ready to get up. Please stop demanding breakfast by chewing on your grids non stop in the morning.

Sincerely,
Exhausted vet student who wants to sleep in on her week off

Last edited:
Dear piggies,

Just because I move in my bed, does not mean I am ready to get up. Please stop demanding breakfast by chewing on your grids not stop in the morning.

Sincerely,
Exhausted vet student who wants to sleep in on her week off
It makes me really happy to know I am not the only one with a monster in my bedroom!

They're worse than the dog. This is a rather new development too. They didn't start doing this until probably this semester.
The dog knows better (well the pig knows better too, she just doesn't care). This is fairly New for penny too actually. Started a couple of months ago (waking me up in the middle of the night or in the morning for treats/food). She's been a bar chewed for years to no avail.

The dog knows better (well the pig knows better too, she just doesn't care). This is fairly New for penny too actually. Started a couple of months ago (waking me up in the middle of the night or in the morning for treats/food). She's been a bar chewed for years to no avail.

I think it started with my first externship that had me getting up at like 6 AM so they're still on that clock. Then this past rotation I was getting up around 5:30 or earlier so they're ready for breakfast really early.

I think it started with my first externship that had me getting up at like 6 AM so they're still on that clock. Then this past rotation I was getting up around 5:30 or earlier so they're ready for breakfast really early.
i wish i could correlate it with school, but i was on externship getting up more reasonably! last fall i was getting up between 4a and 530a and she didnt do it then!

Had my 9 month old German Shepherd puppy neutered yesterday. He was sleepy almost all of yesterday but today he has gone bonkers. Not having his walks/playtime/running around the backyard is driving him (and me) nuts. Picked up some acepromazine this morning but it seems have no effect thus far. He alternates between crying at the backdoor to go play and running circles around the living room. Not sure how to get him through these next 4 days of rest...

Had my 9 month old German Shepherd puppy neutered yesterday. He was sleepy almost all of yesterday but today he has gone bonkers. Not having his walks/playtime/running around the backyard is driving him (and me) nuts. Picked up some acepromazine this morning but it seems have no effect thus far. He alternates between crying at the backdoor to go play and running circles around the living room. Not sure how to get him through these next 4 days of rest...

This might be super creepy but does he have an Instagram account? If so, I think my dog might follow him on Instagram. We saw a GSD with the cone on the other day and mom is an Ohio State vet student.

Grrr. My dog has started eating dog poop...but so far it only seems to be when it's cold outside and they're frozen/semi-frozen. It's so gross and it's usually not his poop that he's eating but the other dogs.

any suggestions for getting my kitty to lose weight? He's at roughly 16 pounds now, and I've been told he could be a 12 pound cat.

He's on Science diety healthy weight, does stairs on his own, and really only plays when I bring the laser out.

OTC weight loss products aren't very good. If you want to do it the easy way, do an rx weight loss diet.

Otherwise, decrease the amount your feeding. Ask your vet for caloric guideline and feed a weight loss amount of food. A vet should be able to give you that info.

any suggestions for getting my kitty to lose weight? He's at roughly 16 pounds now, and I've been told he could be a 12 pound cat.

He's on Science diety healthy weight, does stairs on his own, and really only plays when I bring the laser out.
Around the time I was taking my animal nutrition class I took the formula the textbook used for overweight cats, calculated the calories my kitty should be getting, and put her on a diet with her regular food. She started out at just over 12 pounds (she really should be in more of the 8-10 pound range) In August, and by December she was down to 10. Might have been slower than necessary but I didn't want to over do it. Unfortunately I can't remember the formula now so it's not that helpful...But I'm sure if you ask a vet they can give you the appropriate caloric intake and you can go from there.

Other things I made my family do since I wasn't there: I bought a variety of toys to keep her interested and they made sure she played for at least a total of half an hour every day, in short bursts because that's how cats tend to be, especially older ones. I also got one of those food balls with the small openings, so she had to work more to get her food. Oh, and I got a kitten for her to chase around the house, which probably helped a lot :p

Around the time I was taking my animal nutrition class I took the formula the textbook used for overweight cats, calculated the calories my kitty should be getting, and put her on a diet with her regular food. She started out at just over 12 pounds (she really should be in more of the 8-10 pound range) In August, and by December she was down to 10. Might have been slower than necessary but I didn't want to over do it. Unfortunately I can't remember the formula now so it's not that helpful...But I'm sure if you ask a vet they can give you the appropriate caloric intake and you can go from there.

Other things I made my family do since I wasn't there: I bought a variety of toys to keep her interested and they made sure she played for at least a total of half an hour every day, in short bursts because that's how cats tend to be, especially older ones. I also got one of those food balls with the small openings, so she had to work more to get her food. Oh, and I got a kitten for her to chase around the house, which probably helped a lot :p
It could be because he's overweight...but my cat plays only with his laser. I can ask for the caloric intake, definitely. He's only four, so I'm hoping his time as a pudge won't cut down on his life too much. He was raised by an elderly woman as a lap cat. He's not playful at all...lol

Grrr. My dog has started eating dog poop...but so far it only seems to be when it's cold outside and they're frozen/semi-frozen. It's so gross and it's usually not his poop that he's eating but the other dogs.
Poopsicles!!

Trazadone??

Hey guys! Figures this might be the thread to ask this, do you let know of your caged pets to your landlord on your rental application? My current landlord was so cool with animals. He loved my snakes but he only got to know of them when he saw them. I didn't specifically let him know when I got the snake, because we had a "all pets ok" in our contract and the guy loved all animals. Having to move for vet school, I'm worried if other landlords won't think the same about my snakes :rolleyes: But since they are caged animals, do you have to let the landlords know?? I read online about some who just didn't let the landlords know, but that doesn't feel right either. I would probably let the landlord know - but how do you convince the landlord that exotics are okay to have? Anyone have any experience renting while having exotic pets? Any advice? :)

I also have a pitbull, so finding an apartment is starting to look like an impossibility, lol.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Figures this might be the thread to ask this, do you let know of your caged pets to your landlord on your rental application? My current landlord was so cool with animals. He loved my snakes but he only got to know of them when he saw them. I didn't specifically let him know when I got the snake, because we had a "all pets ok" in our contract and the guy loved all animals. Having to move for vet school, I'm worried if other landlords won't think the same about my snakes :rolleyes: But since they are caged animals, do you have to let the landlords know?? I read online about some who just didn't let the landlords know, but that doesn't feel right either. I would probably let the landlord know - but how do you convince the landlord that exotics are okay to have? Anyone have any experience renting while having exotic pets? Any advice? :)

I also have a pitbull, so finding an apartment is starting to look like an impossibility, lol.
you should look long and hard at what the consequences of them finding out would be. my complex has a very strict $600 fine for any undeclared animals. we have a 2 pet maximum, but they didnt mind me having a guinea pig on top of the 2 dogs my roommate and i have. previously i lived in a private apartment that didnt allow any pets and hid my guinea pig and it all worked out...but thats probably not a safe thing to assume.

i installed some plexiglass panels into my piglet's house to prevent her from chewing her cage bars for attention and treats. currently, you can tell that she approaches the bars and thinks "what the heck!!!" we'll see how long this lasts before she outsmarts me haha