All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have experience with a random/sudden bout of feline acne? It's not severe, but both of my cats randomly have it right now. At first I thought they were getting messy with their wet food, but it doesn't look like that upon closer inspection. I'll make an appointment for them ASAP, but wanted to hear any thoughts from you all!
What kind of bowls do they eat and drink out of? Ceramic, metal, plastic?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of bowls do they eat and drink out of? Ceramic, metal, plastic?
All metal! No recent food changes. They both got bathed about 2 weeks ago, that's the only change I can think of. I wash their bowls every few days in the dishwasher, I suppose that could also be the problem.

Edit: My roommate's cat is unaffected right now, so it makes me wonder if it was in fact the bath (they use the same water bowls, and she steals from their food bowls). My cat has been bathed with that shampoo before, though. Not sure what else it could be unless they were stressing for finals as much as I was :p

Last edited:
Here's my Corgi :D

sideview_by_powderblue22-d9eiy93.png

madison_hotdog_by_powderblue22-d9eiy90.png

landinggearup_by_powderblue22-d9eiy8x.png

Her legs go up like landing gear.

areyoucomfortable_by_powderblue22-d9eiyis.png

She'll sleep like this.

madison_bum_by_powderblue22-d9eiyoy.png

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, has anyone ever had a dog or seen a dog eat an entire eos chaptstick? She didn't eat tube, but somehow managed to open it and eat the entirety of the contents.

Ugh, has anyone ever had a dog or seen a dog eat an entire eos chaptstick? She didn't eat tube, but somehow managed to open it and eat the entirety of the contents.

No, but that's totally something my Lab would do! He ate a tube of aquaphor once o_O

No, but that's totally something my Lab would do! He ate a tube of aquaphor once o_O

Yeah she's definitely the "if it's on the ground it's mine" type of dog. Gets us into trouble. At least it's not grapes... that's what it was last time (she found them on the street! :mad:) When your lab ate the aquaphor, did he have diarrhea or anything after that? I have to leave for work in an hour, I hope she won't be sick while I'm gone. It's been an hour since she ate it, and I take her out right before I leave. Just trying to gauge what to expect here (if anything).

Yeah she's definitely the "if it's on the ground it's mine" type of dog. Gets us into trouble. At least it's not grapes... that's what it was last time (she found them on the street! :mad:) When your lab ate the aquaphor, did he have diarrhea or anything after that? I have to leave for work in an hour, I hope she won't be sick while I'm gone. It's been an hour since she ate it, and I take her out right before I leave. Just trying to gauge what to expect here (if anything).

My guy was fine - no vomiting, no diarrhea. He had one stool that was slightly soft and gray in color and that was it!

You could always call ASPCA Animal Poison Control (888-426-4435) if you're nervous. I've called several times since my Lab is an indiscriminate eater and they've been super helpful. It costs $65 (100% worth it) and if you end up going to the ER they will consult with that doctor at no additional charge. I did that once when my Lab got into my husband's workout bag and ate 2 packs of gum containing xylitol. He spent the night in the ER after that, doh!

My kid has eaten 2 tubes of chapstick and half an eos tub in a day. She had some slimy poo that was a little tougher to clean, maybe a little softer. Otherwise nothing exciting.

Because apparently I like having things in pairs, meet my new bettas!

Eponine is a baby and has a whole 3 gallon planted tank that she only has to share with a little horned nerite snail (named Javert).
20151109_225445-1.jpg

And then I have this lovely adult female crowntail who does not have a name yet. Any suggestions?
20151109_224557-1.jpg

20151109_224633-1.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

A friend of mine called me m a panic when her chihuahua ate a whole mint EOS.. He was fine!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Perfect!

I love her. I was going to get another baby but I saw her and just had to get her. Though I may be going back to get that baby today. Poor thing has been at the store for a week and looks so sad.

I hate that :((

is it sad that I see the pics and after thinking how pretty/cute they are, I noticed the microchip tags and was really glad they were there?

Reactions: 2 users
is it sad that I see the pics and after thinking how pretty/cute they are, I noticed the microchip tags and was really glad they were there?

I'm the same way... I get so happy if I see a male dog who is neutered lol. When I find a stray with no collar and who isn't fixed, my heart drops a little because the likelihood of them being chipped is so low that I know it will be very difficult to find their home, if they even have one!

I'm the same way... I get so happy if I see a male dog who is neutered lol. When I find a stray with no collar and who isn't fixed, my heart drops a little because the likelihood of them being chipped is so low that I know it will be very difficult to find their home, if they even have one!

Years ago, back before I was allergic to cats, my family had cats and I remember how accomplished I felt when I was able to successfully campaign to my family for their spay/neuter surgeries. I remember picking up one of the females after her spay and I carried that carrier out of the vets like I was carrying a trophy xD lol! I love fixed pets, what can I say?

Thanks! I guess it's not every day you see one with hot dog coloration ;) Though hot dog corgis are increasing in popularity! lol

tumblr_nvknxxquga1unv7meo1_1280.jpg

And whoo you have a flashy merle dog! I love merles <3
I love merles too! We think he's half corgi and half aussie. We rescued him 3 years ago. I was going to do a DNA test on him for my SO for Christmas but he found out so now I have to think of something else lol

I love merles too! We think he's half corgi and half aussie. We rescued him 3 years ago. I was going to do a DNA test on him for my SO for Christmas but he found out so now I have to think of something else lol

He might be half Cardigan Welsh Corgi:
ChGarvinsBluePrints.jpg

They tend to have a more pronounced bend in the front legs than the Pembrokes:
tumblr_n0vl4qRkic1s8mgkyo4_500.jpg

Yeah, but he's bigger and longer than any cardigan or pembroke I've ever seen. His ears and head also look more aussie to me!

Yeah, but he's bigger and longer than any cardigan or pembroke I've ever seen. His ears and head also look more aussie to me!

Oh yeah, he definitely has something behind him that's not corgi. I was just acknowledging that this merle gene might have come from a Cardi :D

Oh yeah, he definitely has something behind him that's not corgi. I was just acknowledging that this merle gene might have come from a Cardi :D

It really could have! I really want to do the DNA testing but it's $100 and I'm not sure if I completely trust it.. Lol

By the way....I was at a Pembroke show once and I saw the longest Corgi I had ever seen. And my Corgi sniffed it lol

tumblr_inline_njw8niYlc51sz3cus.jpg

"HOW DID YOU GET SO LONG??"

Snake dog!

I don't trust the DNA tests at all. I know people that did the tests knowing what their dog was with as much certainty as possible and they were given crazy results. One example was a chihuahua/fox terrier mix that I saw the parents and the offspring looked exactly like a perfect mix of them and the test came back Norwegian elkhound/some kind of spaniel mix.

FYI- this is just my personal experience. Maybe I just haven't seen results from a reliable source yet.

I don't trust the DNA tests at all. I know people that did the tests knowing what their dog was with as much certainty as possible and they were given crazy results. One example was a chihuahua/fox terrier mix that I saw the parents and the offspring looked exactly like a perfect mix of them and the test came back Norwegian elkhound/some kind of spaniel mix.

FYI- this is just my personal experience. Maybe I just haven't seen results from a reliable source yet.

I have heard A LOT of mixed results.. Some people really don't trust it, and some people trust it a lot! I think it's really a hit or miss.

A friend of mine called me m a panic when her chihuahua ate a whole mint EOS.. He was fine!!

I love her. I was going to get another baby but I saw her and just had to get her. Though I may be going back to get that baby today. Poor thing has been at the store for a week and looks so sad.

That scale pattern is referred to as a dragon betta. Since she's an adult, hopefully they got her gender right (she sorta looks male though). I got 2 females over the summer and put them in my 65gal tank, and I'm fairly certain the one is male as it is aggressive and has blown bubble nests. I haven't seen any gill flares yet though.

I have heard A LOT of mixed results.. Some people really don't trust it, and some people trust it a lot! I think it's really a hit or miss.

You'll have to do some research to confirm this, but as I recall the accuracy depends on #1 what your dog is mixed with and #2 if the purebred ancestors were from mainstream bloodlines. Some breeds have DNA signatures that aren't as distinct. And some purebreds are from more obscure bloodlines. Both those things can make them harder to pick up in the DNA.

I was going to ask if he was part Cardigan. And don't let the size fool you. We've had massive Pembrokes in my family. My mom's current corgi is like 42 lbs but only a tid overweight. He's so long and has a massive head.
10945623_943718402313195_1342153602952290455_n.jpg

As for the Wisdom Panel, meh. I did it just for fun because I got it fairly cheap through work. This guy came back as mainly a Sharpei, Weimaraner and Keeshond mix with Newfie, Doberman, Mexican Hairless, Wired haired Doxie and Sheltie at smaller amounts.
10408508_10152614591099501_5874209794755278147_n.jpg

I was going to ask if he was part Cardigan. And don't let the size fool you. We've had massive Pembrokes in my family. My mom's current corgi is like 42 lbs but only a tid overweight. He's so long and has a massive head.
10945623_943718402313195_1342153602952290455_n.jpg

As for the Wisdom Panel, meh. I did it just for fun because I got it fairly cheap through work. This guy came back as mainly a Sharpei, Weimaraner and Keeshond mix with Newfie, Doberman, Mexican Hairless, Wired haired Doxie and Sheltie at smaller amounts.

OMG that is huge! My corgi is 20 pounds and my corgi mix is 35 ish. I have never seen one that size!
AND THAT DOG IS SO CUTE!! Lots of breeds in there.

OMG that is huge! My corgi is 20 pounds and my corgi mix is 35 ish. I have never seen one that size!
AND THAT DOG IS SO CUTE!! Lots of breeds in there.

I'm personally going with poorly bred, fluffy cardigan corgi after finding pictures that look exactly like him. Haha, but he's lacking in the corgi energy drive. Fairly content just hanging out, doesn't quite understand toys and only has a slight prey drive outside. Doesn't herd your ankles and rarely barks.

:laugh::rofl:That's what I was talking about! I swear most dogs come back part Mexican hairless. I've jokingly told friends, give me $50 and a dartboard of dog breeds and I'll give you more accurate results.

I'm personally going with poorly bred, fluffy cardigan corgi after finding pictures that look exactly like him. Haha, but he's lacking in the corgi energy drive. Fairly content just hanging out, doesn't quite understand toys and only has a slight prey drive outside. Doesn't herd your ankles and rarely barks.

It's so funny how different their instincts are! Hazel is AMAZING at agility and obedience, with mediocre herding skills and prey drive. Santiago is AMAZING at herding and he has great prey drive, but he isn't as focused with obedience and agility. They both enjoy all of it, but their skills and attitudes are super different. I also think it has a lot to do with their gender... Hazel is a girl and she wants to please me and is super quick on her feet. Santi is a boy and is kinda a big impulsive dummy.. but book smart. If that makes sense? lol

It's so funny how different their instincts are! Hazel is AMAZING at agility and obedience, with mediocre herding skills and prey drive. Santiago is AMAZING at herding and he has great prey drive, but he isn't as focused with obedience and agility. They both enjoy all of it, but their skills and attitudes are super different. I also think it has a lot to do with their gender... Hazel is a girl and she wants to please me and is super quick on her feet. Santi is a boy and is kinda a big impulsive dummy.. but book smart. If that makes sense? lol

Geordie aims to please as well. He really wants to do what you want him too. He learns quickly but I also think he outsmarts me really quickly and is stubborn as all hell. I've been trying to train him to be more toy motivated so that I can use that as an additional reward and as soon as you start rewarding him for the toy a few times, he just sits and stares at you because he just wants the treat. I feel horrible when I can't give him clear enough signals to train/shape more advances behaviors and tricks because I can tell that he's thinking and trying, but then we both get frustrated. I wish I was a better trainer...

That scale pattern is referred to as a dragon betta. Since she's an adult, hopefully they got her gender right (she sorta looks male though). I got 2 females over the summer and put them in my 65gal tank, and I'm fairly certain the one is male as it is aggressive and has blown bubble nests. I haven't seen any gill flares yet though.
If she is a male (s)he's got super short fins. But I don't know much about betta sexing! She's too dark for me to try to see her ovaries.
I've got my 3 separate. The newest baby (yeah, I got her today) is in one of those critter keeper things (so about 1 gallon) for now because it's kind of my hospital tank and she's in pretty bad shape. And so tiny! Honestly doesn't look more than 6 weeks old based on the age guides I've seen. Plan is to keep her there until she's bigger and I'm sure she's healthy and then divide one of the other tanks. I'm too paranoid to put two together! Though one day I hope to have a sorority tank.

Geordie aims to please as well. He really wants to do what you want him too. He learns quickly but I also think he outsmarts me really quickly and is stubborn as all hell. I've been trying to train him to be more toy motivated so that I can use that as an additional reward and as soon as you start rewarding him for the toy a few times, he just sits and stares at you because he just wants the treat. I feel horrible when I can't give him clear enough signals to train/shape more advances behaviors and tricks because I can tell that he's thinking and trying, but then we both get frustrated. I wish I was a better trainer...

Have you ever considered doing agility with him? It really helps strengthen the inherent bond of the human-dog working relationship. I used to do agility with mine just for fun, but there are no good places where I live now. I never did competitions or anything like that, even though our trainer really wanted us to. Agility really helped with the communication barrier between me and Hazel especially.. Like I SAW how much she loved using her brain and working at something fun to make me happy too. She would get so excited, whimpering with excitement when we would pull in the driveway lol. It makes them really pay attention to you, and you to them. I had an amazing teacher who taught me a lot about training and really helped me become a better trainer! We did strictly obedience the first 3 weeks, and then we would warm up with obedience before agility practice every time after that so that their obedience never falters! I highly recommend trying it out to see if you both can be passionate about it!
We started herding about a year after starting agility, and they had a lot of fun with that but I didn't like it as much because I wasn't able to be involved at all. It was a trainer who taught them and I just sat on the sidelines to watch.

If she is a male (s)he's got super short fins. But I don't know much about betta sexing! She's too dark for me to try to see her ovaries.
I've got my 3 separate. The newest baby (yeah, I got her today) is in one of those critter keeper things (so about 1 gallon) for now because it's kind of my hospital tank and she's in pretty bad shape. And so tiny! Honestly doesn't look more than 6 weeks old based on the age guides I've seen. Plan is to keep her there until she's bigger and I'm sure she's healthy and then divide one of the other tanks. I'm too paranoid to put two together! Though one day I hope to have a sorority tank.

I have always loved betas! They have become a big part of my aquariums over the years.. I've only ever had one at a time but I normally keep them together with my tetras and other bland looking fish! My most recent one was sorta an adoption from a guy who didn't want him anymore and he was in horrible shape... Discolored, sickly looking, not wanting to eat.. Well it turns out he was feeding him the wrong food and he got a lot better once he got a better diet! He was also living in his own waste in a tank with no filter (and never got cleaned).. Also, the idiot was using tap water with no de-chlorinator or anything. I don't know how he survived, I felt so bad for him! I hate when people have fish and have zero idea on how to take care of them. They are not hard but you have to do some cleaning and basic care too. Ugh

Have you ever considered doing agility with him? It really helps strengthen the inherent bond of the human-dog working relationship. I used to do agility with mine just for fun, but there are no good places where I live now. I never did competitions or anything like that, even though our trainer really wanted us to. Agility really helped with the communication barrier between me and Hazel especially.. Like I SAW how much she loved using her brain and working at something fun to make me happy too. She would get so excited, whimpering with excitement when we would pull in the driveway lol. It makes them really pay attention to you, and you to them. I had an amazing teacher who taught me a lot about training and really helped me become a better trainer! We did strictly obedience the first 3 weeks, and then we would warm up with obedience before agility practice every time after that so that their obedience never falters! I highly recommend trying it out to see if you both can be passionate about it!
We started herding about a year after starting agility, and they had a lot of fun with that but I didn't like it as much because I wasn't able to be involved at all. It was a trainer who taught them and I just sat on the sidelines to watch.

I've wanted to to do it just for fun (he's not much of a speed demon) but he's also got some leash reactivity so that's been something I've been trying to work on before we do it. I also just quite honestly don't know how i'd fit it into my clinics schedule/afford it right now. A colleague of mine does a lot of training (obedience, agility, etc) and I've been trying to work with her at times to set some stuff up for tips and to do some more controlled situations for his leash reactivity.

My bf's family has some agility pieces in their backyard and I've gotten him to do some of the jumps so I think he would do it. He's pretty fearless, and will do basically anything for food.

I have always loved betas! They have become a big part of my aquariums over the years.. I've only ever had one at a time but I normally keep them together with my tetras and other bland looking fish! My most recent one was sorta an adoption from a guy who didn't want him anymore and he was in horrible shape... Discolored, sickly looking, not wanting to eat.. Well it turns out he was feeding him the wrong food and he got a lot better once he got a better diet! He was also living in his own waste in a tank with no filter (and never got cleaned).. Also, the idiot was using tap water with no de-chlorinator or anything. I don't know how he survived, I felt so bad for him! I hate when people have fish and have zero idea on how to take care of them. They are not hard but you have to do some cleaning and basic care too. Ugh
I've kind of fallen in love with them after doing research to help my sister with hers (RIP Ralph, Ralph Jr., and Jean-Pierre). She was your typical ignorant fish owner and honestly I didn't know anything about them either at that time. So we had death by water toxicity (not her fault...Ralph was a victim of the public school system), temperature shock, and...an incident with a filter. Then there was Arson, who went kamikaze when I accidentally filled his lidless tank a little too high. So I guess it's a learning experience. Hopefully these girls will live longer. I've got all the care stuff down, it's just the freak accidents that we can't seem to stay away from!

Kind of upsetting how pet stores perpetuate sub-part care of fish (bettas especially) but with the internet there's really not much of an excuse. There are multiple websites devoted to that stuff! I'm surprised any betta survived the conditions you described @hazelmoo, he must be a tough guy.

He really is! When I first got him he was soooo pale with barely any color at all. But he's doing a lot better now, and he does great with my other fish!
Freak accidents are the worst!! I witnessed my beta have a seizure/spasm and die when I was in high school. It was so sad! I had already had him for over 3 years. I don't know what happened, but it was freaky. My others have always died of natural causes. It's funny how attached you get to the little guys!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 28

Many tubes of chapstick fell prey to our old golden retriever... No adverse affects after any of the incidents, though :)

I've wanted to to do it just for fun (he's not much of a speed demon) but he's also got some leash reactivity so that's been something I've been trying to work on before we do it. I also just quite honestly don't know how i'd fit it into my clinics schedule/afford it right now. A colleague of mine does a lot of training (obedience, agility, etc) and I've been trying to work with her at times to set some stuff up for tips and to do some more controlled situations for his leash reactivity.

My bf's family has some agility pieces in their backyard and I've gotten him to do some of the jumps so I think he would do it. He's pretty fearless, and will do basically anything for food.

It can get expensive, but it's usually only once a week for about an hour. I paid $60 per dog for 6 weeks at a time. I hope there's a good place for it wherever I end up for vet school next year so we can start again!

He really is! When I first got him he was soooo pale with barely any color at all. But he's doing a lot better now, and he does great with my other fish!
Freak accidents are the worst!! I witnessed my beta have a seizure/spasm and die when I was in high school. It was so sad! I had already had him for over 3 years. I don't know what happened, but it was freaky. My others have always died of natural causes. It's funny how attached you get to the little guys!
He's gorgeous!

I got very, very attached to Arson even though I didn't have him very long. And now I'm basically in love with my little Eponine. She has such a fantastic personality.

He's gorgeous!

I got very, very attached to Arson even though I didn't have him very long. And now I'm basically in love with my little Eponine. She has such a fantastic personality.

I'm sorry about Arson :( that's the worst. Eponine is so cute!! I've never had a female before. My betta is named Casper because I thought he would always be white.. Lol

I thought Madison had no herding instinct until I took her to an instinct test! She shocked me by passing:

It was an all-Corgi event and only about 1/3 of the dogs there passed!

Reactions: 1 users
It can get expensive, but it's usually only once a week for about an hour. I paid $60 per dog for 6 weeks at a time. I hope there's a good place for it wherever I end up for vet school next year so we can start again!

I'll have to look around and see what prices are around here. It's Philly, so I imagine it being many $$$$ . It might be something I can fit in with my rotations next semester. Some of them are less demanding and I'll be done with boards/internship applications at that point, so I'll be less a stress ball.