All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel bad I didn't get the pigs anything for Christmas, so I'm thinking of buying them this and making/buying a "kitchen" area to contain their mess.

Piggy-Ranchc.jpg
That's awesome

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I have a black and white kitty named Tucker, when he yawned the other day I saw some black spots on his tongue. So I opened his mouth and they weren't raised at all, seemed almost like pigmentation but I can't remember if he's always had that. I checked some of my other cats and they all have pink tongues. Is this normal? I posted a pic of him as well. If I'm lucky I can get a pic of his tongue! I lost a cat to the deadly FIP disease two months ago. So every little thing scares me these days. Thanks in advance! View attachment 199371

Hello! I have a black and white kitty named Tucker, when he yawned the other day I saw some black spots on his tongue. So I opened his mouth and they weren't raised at all, seemed almost like pigmentation but I can't remember if he's always had that. I checked some of my other cats and they all have pink tongues. Is this normal? I posted a pic of him as well. If I'm lucky I can get a pic of his tongue! I lost a cat to the deadly FIP disease two months ago. So every little thing scares me these days. Thanks in advance! View attachment 199371
SDN is not intended for medical advice. If you're concerned about something, take your kitty to see a vet! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is not intended for medical advice. If you're concerned about something, take your kitty to see a vet! :)
Oh sorry! I know, I was just hoping someone has seen the same thing or something.

The other day I came home from school and went to feed my fish. I noticed my clown loach was upside down and fuzzy. I've had him for about 8 years I think, so I was pretty sad to see him like that. I took out a net to get him out, but when I touched him, he swam away. I had some hope that he would survive. Shortly afterward my son came home and called me up to his room because he was pretty sure our bristlenose pleco was dead. I took out the net again, and this time my poor fish was definitely dead and covered in fungus. I was so sad because the bristlenose was by far my favorite fish in the tank; his name was Iggy. I did a quick search on how to treat aquarium fungus and found that it's usually due to some kind of stress in the tank, which I didn't quite understand, but it's also commonly treated with malachite green, the active ingredient in Quick Cure, which I happen to have, so I ran up to start treatment in hopes of saving my second favorite fish, the clown loach. As I reached under the tank to grab the Quick Cure, I noticed the temperature reading was just 70! Well that could certainly be the cause of stress in the tank. Clearly my heater had broken. I flipped the switch off for the outlet that the heater was plugged into and went into our basement to see if we still had a spare heater. There was one, so I took it back upstairs, plugged it in, and the light didn't come on. Argh, I guess it doesn't work either, so I run out to the closest pet store and buy a new heater for $40. Go home, open up the new heater, start to set it up and as I'm about to unplug the previous heater I notice I hadn't flipped the switch back on for the outlet that the heater was plugged into. DOH! So I flip the switch and the light for the heater that I took from our basement instantly goes on. Within an hour the temperature in the tank is already starting to rise. I wrapped the new heater back up so I could return it, feeling pretty dumb for not checking the outlet before I went to get it.

The next day my clown loach was also very dead. I treated the tank again with Quick Cure and the other fish seemed to spring back to life. Today they were all much better, including my little clown pleco which had some signs of fungal infection a few days ago. Today I returned the new heater I purchased and while I was there picked up a new albino bristlenose pleco. All of our fish have names, so I decided to name this one Severus Snape. While the color isn't entirely appropriate, I think the name suits him and I hope he lives a long time!

Reactions: 1 users
The other day I came home from school and went to feed my fish. I noticed my clown loach was upside down and fuzzy. I've had him for about 8 years I think, so I was pretty sad to see him like that. I took out a net to get him out, but when I touched him, he swam away. I had some hope that he would survive. Shortly afterward my son came home and called me up to his room because he was pretty sure our bristlenose pleco was dead. I took out the net again, and this time my poor fish was definitely dead and covered in fungus. I was so sad because the bristlenose was by far my favorite fish in the tank; his name was Iggy. I did a quick search on how to treat aquarium fungus and found that it's usually due to some kind of stress in the tank, which I didn't quite understand, but it's also commonly treated with malachite green, the active ingredient in Quick Cure, which I happen to have, so I ran up to start treatment in hopes of saving my second favorite fish, the clown loach. As I reached under the tank to grab the Quick Cure, I noticed the temperature reading was just 70! Well that could certainly be the cause of stress in the tank. Clearly my heater had broken. I flipped the switch off for the outlet that the heater was plugged into and went into our basement to see if we still had a spare heater. There was one, so I took it back upstairs, plugged it in, and the light didn't come on. Argh, I guess it doesn't work either, so I run out to the closest pet store and buy a new heater for $40. Go home, open up the new heater, start to set it up and as I'm about to unplug the previous heater I notice I hadn't flipped the switch back on for the outlet that the heater was plugged into. DOH! So I flip the switch and the light for the heater that I took from our basement instantly goes on. Within an hour the temperature in the tank is already starting to rise. I wrapped the new heater back up so I could return it, feeling pretty dumb for not checking the outlet before I went to get it.

The next day my clown loach was also very dead. I treated the tank again with Quick Cure and the other fish seemed to spring back to life. Today they were all much better, including my little clown pleco which had some signs of fungal infection a few days ago. Today I returned the new heater I purchased and while I was there picked up a new albino bristlenose pleco. All of our fish have names, so I decided to name this one Severus Snape. While the color isn't entirely appropriate, I think the name suits him and I hope he lives a long time!
Sorry bout your fishies :( I obsessively check the temps on my tanks because I'm so afraid of heater malfunctions. Congrats on your new guy :)

I've had my three betta boys for two months now, though it seems like so much longer. Two are healthy other than some fin issues (one is a biter, the other flared too much and his tail collapsed). The third, one of the ones that I bought as a baby, is still baby sized and barely eats anymore. He's still active and otherwise seems fine, he just doesn't want to eat anything except frozen bloodworms, and even those he doesn't eat much of. I figure he has some kind of genetic issue, he's the same age as the other baby who is just about full grown now. I don't expect him to have a very long life, but maybe he'll surprise me.

I still can't believe it's only been two months. Feels like I've been through so much with my Barricade Boys!

Sorry to hear :(

Bought my Juniper a used car tree. It's a nice sturdy one, has two nice big platforms to lay on, and he gave me an extra cat bed for added cushion.

She hates it. Because it still smells like the other cat.

What's the best way to clean a cat tree?

Bought my Juniper a used car tree. It's a nice sturdy one, has two nice big platforms to lay on, and he gave me an extra cat bed for added cushion.

Assuming it's carpeted, I'd use some sort of enzyme pet odor/stain cleaner made for carpet. Lightly spritz it all over, let it sit for a bit, and scrub it with a cloth and let it dry/air out. Hopefully that will take care of the cat smell she isn't liking!

Reactions: 2 users
The monkey see, monkey do method of dog training. Pup has no idea what the words "get out of the kitchen" mean, but she knows to copy the big dog.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1453087309.967846.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
I have two rescues who are pits or pit mixes and sometimes I get really bummed about all of the anti-pitbull rules everywhere from dog boarding to human housing! I wonder if my dogs pass as lab mixes or maybe boxer/lab mixes and if there is even really a way for anyone to prove they are pit bulls besides just how they look?

I have two rescues who are pits or pit mixes and sometimes I get really bummed about all of the anti-pitbull rules everywhere from dog boarding to human housing! I wonder if my dogs pass as lab mixes or maybe boxer/lab mixes and if there is even really a way for anyone to prove they are pit bulls besides just how they look?

It's probably going to come down to how their adoption paperwork/vet paperwork lists them as.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm taking my cat in for vaccines soon. This is the 2nd year I've had her and the last and only other time we've been to the vet she was REALLY stressed. She's a more grumpy cat to begin with- selective about who she likes. She's used to us but doesn't like when we have visitors. Anyway, she is really sweet/ cuddly once she gets used to someone, but at the vet she is horrible. I picked up some Feliway spray, but I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations?

Hey guys, I'm taking my cat in for vaccines soon. This is the 2nd year I've had her and the last and only other time we've been to the vet she was REALLY stressed. She's a more grumpy cat to begin with- selective about who she likes. She's used to us but doesn't like when we have visitors. Anyway, she is really sweet/ cuddly once she gets used to someone, but at the vet she is horrible. I picked up some Feliway spray, but I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations?
Leave the carrier out and let her get used it.

I've had clients ask to have their dog listed as lab mix or boxer mix and it we always did it. We even had one dog that was clearly a chow and we were asked to list it as a golden mix (super duper sweet dog too). I know some housing places base it off appearance, so I guess it depends.

She actually likes the carrier :confused:

Can you take the top off the carrier? If so, maybe try that at the vet- she gets to stay in the bottom half. I can get a good amount of my exam done that way. I much prefer it to forcibly extracting cats through tiny doorways and I hate when people come in with carriers zip tied/bolted/etc.

Can you take the top off the carrier? If so, maybe try that at the vet- she gets to stay in the bottom half. I can get a good amount of my exam done that way. I much prefer it to forcibly extracting cats through tiny doorways and I hate when people come in with carriers zip tied/bolted/etc.

This is a great idea for her! Thank you!

I've had clients ask to have their dog listed as lab mix or boxer mix and it we always did it. We even had one dog that was clearly a chow and we were asked to list it as a golden mix (super duper sweet dog too). I know some housing places base it off appearance, so I guess it depends.
Thank you for this advice hopefully I can get a veterinarian to do that for me!

I'd be careful with this.
If it's a new client, sure I go off what they say if there is no record to indicate otherwise. They have to put their dogs breed in the new client paperwork and that goes in the record.

But a medical record is a legal document. I'm not going to put my license on the line changing the breed of a dog that's been seen a dozen times as a Pittie type, unless there is compelling evidence (Dna test, or tiny pup that grew up into something unexpected). IF I make a change it is documented as to when and why and that remains part of the record. I don't agree with BSL but changing breeds on an existing medical record gives me the heebie jeebies. Even with the sweetest dogs there can be "incidents" and I don't want to be the vet that falsified a record that resulted in something bad happening.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd be careful with this.
If it's a new client, sure I go off what they say if there is no record to indicate otherwise. They have to put their dogs breed in the new client paperwork and that goes in the record.

But a medical record is a legal document. I'm not going to put my license on the line changing the breed of a dog that's been seen a dozen times as a Pittie type, unless there is compelling evidence (Dna test, or tiny pup that grew up into something unexpected). IF I make a change it is documented as to when and why and that remains part of the record. I don't agree with BSL but changing breeds on an existing medical record gives me the heebie jeebies. Even with the sweetest dogs there can be "incidents" and I don't want to be the vet that falsified a record that resulted in something bad happening.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified, these were all first pet visits, and all from rescues, so breed really was unknown. The only other time we did it knowingly was for a client who has wolf mixes (illegal in our state) and we list them as Shepherd mixes, which is also true because they are part GSD.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified, these were all first pet visits, and all from rescues, so breed really was unknown. The only other time we did it knowingly was for a client who has wolf mixes (illegal in our state) and we list them as Shepherd mixes, which is also true because they are part GSD.

I think you can actually have them in PA, you just need to have a specific kennel set up on your property and a license. Not sure if they've come this year or will be, but a hybrid rescue in NJ comes and brings in a couple of hybrids for everyone to meet and kind of talks about them and why they shouldn't be kept as pets. I briefly looked into awhether you could own in PA and rceall thinking that it's stupid that I can't own a hedgehog but i can own a hybrid.

I think you can actually have them in PA, you just need to have a specific kennel set up on your property and a license. Not sure if they've come this year or will be, but a hybrid rescue in NJ comes and brings in a couple of hybrids for everyone to meet and kind of talks about them and why they shouldn't be kept as pets. I briefly looked into awhether you could own in PA and rceall thinking that it's stupid that I can't own a hedgehog but i can own a hybrid.
I don't know the exact legalities of it, but I guess he doesn't have the proper license. I recall just in the past 5 years, a "dog" was found in SE PA and found to be a wolf mix so they wouldn't release it back to the owners, who may have just been here visiting? I can't quite remember, do you remember that story? I just know it was easier for this client it we listed his dogs as shepherd mixes. His newest one is 3/4 wolf and seemed to prefer me to him, which drove him crazy. All of them were super nice, well behaved dogs, so hopefully he won't ever have any issues with them.

P.S. The hedgehog thing is silly! I know several of our classmates that have them as pets! They are so super cute.

Picked up my mini rex today :) the cousin/companion to my sister's bun, which we picked up last week and I posted about. She is SOOOOOOOO frickin soft :love: and being a couple weeks younger than the other, there's already quite a size difference--she's so tiny! My sister settled on the name Buffy for hers but I haven't decided on one for mine yet. Luckily their introduction went pretty smoothly, Buffy was a little territorial and "pushy" at first while investigating her but there was no fighting or outward aggression. Now they're just kinda tolerating/ignoring each other. I need to take pics!

Picked up my mini rex today :) the cousin/companion to my sister's bun, which we picked up last week and I posted about. She is SOOOOOOOO frickin soft :love: and being a couple weeks younger than the other, there's already quite a size difference--she's so tiny! My sister settled on the name Buffy for hers but I haven't decided on one for mine yet. Luckily their introduction went pretty smoothly, Buffy was a little territorial and "pushy" at first while investigating her but there was no fighting or outward aggression. Now they're just kinda tolerating/ignoring each other. I need to take pics!
Willow. You have to name yours Willow. :D

Reactions: 3 users
Are you able to also handle her a lot to help her get used to hands being on her? One of my cats isn't necessarily mean at the vet, but he's a screamer and doesn't tolerate much before he goes berserk. I found that taking him for short car rides and gradually increasing the time helped a bit too, since he had a phobia of car rides. Now he handles our 6 hour drive to/from school like a slightly whiny champ.

The vet I worked for would also use lavender essential oil (real lavender, not like air freshener) on some angry cats. It was kind of hit and miss, but worth a shot I guess. I've seen it definitely work, and I've seen it definitely not work. She would put a drop in her hands, rub her hands together, and (if safe) kind of massage the cats face/head with it. I've also seen her rub some on the exam table/kennel walls and let the cat marinate for a few minutes before starting anything.

Are you able to also handle her a lot to help her get used to hands being on her? One of my cats isn't necessarily mean at the vet, but he's a screamer and doesn't tolerate much before he goes berserk. I found that taking him for short car rides and gradually increasing the time helped a bit too, since he had a phobia of car rides. Now he handles our 6 hour drive to/from school like a slightly whiny champ.

The vet I worked for would also use lavender essential oil (real lavender, not like air freshener) on some angry cats. It was kind of hit and miss, but worth a shot I guess. I've seen it definitely work, and I've seen it definitely not work. She would put a drop in her hands, rub her hands together, and (if safe) kind of massage the cats face/head with it. I've also seen her rub some on the exam table/kennel walls and let the cat marinate for a few minutes before starting anything.

Thanks for the advice! She's used to us picking her up and what not, it's just that she doesn't want someone else to. Since last year's vet visit I have been trying to handle her even more hoping it helps- we will see!! She's okay with everything (carrier, car ride, lobby) up until someone she doesn't know wants to touch her. I actually happen to have some lavender oil so I may have to give that a try!

Clean, happy aquarium!! :) also, I spy a catfish... :love:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 4 users

Update, didn't actually get the time to do a full de-smell of the tree. I did put some of her favorite treats on it and gradually coaxed her onto the tree. Two weeks later she loves it. She's always laying up on the top of it and watching me in the kitchen.

Only downside is that she sleeps in it too. So she doesn't sleep with me at night anymore :(

Update, didn't actually get the time to do a full de-smell of the tree. I did put some of her favorite treats on it and gradually coaxed her onto the tree. Two weeks later she loves it. She's always laying up on the top of it and watching me in the kitchen.

Only downside is that she sleeps in it too. So she doesn't sleep with me at night anymore :(

Aww :(

The same thing happened to me. I bought my cat a bed warmer, and now she sleeps on it a night most of the time. Plus pretty much spends all day on it as well. Literally considering buying another for my bed to use at night so she'll sleep with me again :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Aww :(

The same thing happened to me. I bought my cat a bed warmer, and now she sleeps on it a night most of the time. Plus pretty much spends all day on it as well. Literally considering buying another for my bed to use at night so she'll sleep with me again :laugh:
I have the opposite problem. I bought both of my cats really nice beds that they never use. I like sleeping with them, but my bed is tiny, so with both of them there's barely any room for me! At least I know they love me I guess :laugh:

Thanks :) and hazelmoo I'm just missing that third one lol (eventually)

I've been gone for four days, and when I got back both my kitties where super happy to see me. And the one who use to sleep with me but hasn't been because of the heating mat was all over me and hasn't left my side. Totally made my day :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Do any of you have your cats on heartworm preventative? I knew it existed and everything, but the vets I've worked with have always made it seem rather unnecessary. It's heartworm lunch lecture season and now I feel like I'm a bad cat mom. Elanco really stressed that cats should be on preventative and I'm worrying now.

Do any of you have your cats on heartworm preventative? I knew it existed and everything, but the vets I've worked with have always made it seem rather unnecessary. It's heartworm lunch lecture season and now I feel like I'm a bad cat mom. Elanco really stressed that cats should be on preventative and I'm worrying now.

I don't have cats, but some of my classmates have theirs on it. Not sure how many though.

I put mine on it first year after having a similar scary lecture. Haven't done it since though, so I'm right there with you in bad cat mom land.

Bad cat mom here, cats get heartworm? :confused:
They can! Per the lunch lecture...it's much less frequent, especially if your cat is indoors. I guess the pH of the cat's blood isn't quite as suitable as it is in the dog. No approved way to test a cat, but they present with coughing and a few other symptoms I cannot remember. She also said many cats have no symptoms and suddenly die, and the worms are found on necropsy (this is when I started to freak...).

So I think I found an epulis on my older boy's gum this evening. Have a photo but not sure if it was okay to post or not.

What's the usual course of treatment?

yup. Both cats are on hw prevention.

I had a cat who ended up contracting heartworm (and we discovered it while I was in vet school)

yup. Both cats are on hw prevention.

I had a cat who ended up contracting heartworm (and we discovered it while I was in vet school)
Oh ****. How did you find out if there's no test for it?

Oh ****. How did you find out if there's no test for it?
there is a test. There's a snap test. But it was part of a work up for vomiting and losing weight.

At that time we found out she had: heartworm, an atelectatic lung lobe for no discernible reason, and thyroid disease.