All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of you have your cats on heartworm preventative? I knew it existed and everything, but the vets I've worked with have always made it seem rather unnecessary. It's heartworm lunch lecture season and now I feel like I'm a bad cat mom. Elanco really stressed that cats should be on preventative and I'm worrying now.
Yeah I started both mine on it soon after I got my Banfield job (first time I heard about it was at one of our lunch and learns). We've had 6 hw positive patients in the last two months and one was a cat.

Members don't see this ad.

there is a test. There's a snap test. But it was part of a work up for vomiting and losing weight.

At that time we found out she had: heartworm, an atelectatic lung lobe for no discernible reason, and thyroid disease.
I wonder why Elanco said there's no test/tx?

I assume a snap test should be done prior to getting prevention?

There's no tx. And I believe you're supposed to verify with an antibody test after doing the antigen (snap) test. But we found our hw positive cat patient with a felv/fiv/hw snap test.

Members don't see this ad :)

Snap and confirm with antibody test. Elanco doesn't make it, so they may not know much about it.

You can start it at any time. tx in cats is the preventive.

Snap and confirm with antibody test. Elanco doesn't make it, so they may not know much about it.

You can start it at any time. tx in cats is the preventive.
Thanks so much guys! I'll have to find a source! I believe I can get free Bayer products, so Advantage Multi it is!

Thanks so much guys! I'll have to find a source! I believe I can get free Bayer products, so Advantage Multi it is!
Advantage Multi, Revolution (Zoetis), and heartgard feline (Merial) are the ones I recommend. You can also get them compounded

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a bad cat mom!! D: This baby isn't on hw preventative. Now I'm worried

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 33
Clinical signs of cats w/ heartworm can include vomiting and sudden death
My orange cat does vomit occasionally....99% of the time it's because he ate timothy hay or had a stuck poop and turned around and got a face full of it (yes, his own poop makes him sick).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, FL can outdo most average control. Rural here can be a problem, but not as much in town.
Yep. I use free topicals I have for the one that takes the chews (cheristin and activyl are what I have). Frontline wants to give me their product but it literally doesn't work here. They like to claim it still works because resistance hasn't been proven. But the comparable efficacy is like 50%. And one of the major flea guys does say it's likely resistance. just can't prove it yet.

Yep. I use free topicals I have for the one that takes the chews (cheristin and activyl are what I have). Frontline wants to give me their product but it literally doesn't work here. They like to claim it still works because resistance hasn't been proven. But the comparable efficacy is like 50%. And one of the major flea guys does say it's likely resistance. just can't prove it yet.
Lol...we were seeing some impressive resistance in Michigan, even during some winters. One client was seriously at his wit's end. He said his dog looks like a beehive on Frontline (with all of the crawling fleas :vomit:) and his house was infested. Merial wanted to stop paying for exterminators because they insisted he was doing something wrong.

The guy in KS? I could have sworn I heard he had some evidence but maybe I misheard and i haven't personally looked into it just yet. If I recall, our parasit people here are in favor of flea resistance.

The guy in KS? I could have sworn I heard he had some evidence but maybe I misheard and i haven't personally looked into it just yet. If I recall, our parasit people here are in favor of flea resistance.
Yeah, it really just makes sense. I think he's at Kansas. He comes to the major city near me every summer to test new products.

Merial just doesn't want to admit it. I literally have research from a competitor about the efficacy of their product v. frontline/generic. it wasn't an awful study either. I'd have to do some more research to see if there really isn't proof. But I've seen failure after failure on frontline and no failure with the newer products. I'm certainly not going to carry frontline

Yeah, it really just makes sense. I think he's at Kansas. He comes to the major city near me every summer to test new products.

Merial just doesn't want to admit it. I literally have research from a competitor about the efficacy of their product v. frontline/generic. it wasn't an awful study either. I'd have to do some more research to see if there really isn't proof. But I've seen failure after failure on frontline and no failure with the newer products. I'm certainly not going to carry frontline

I believe it. I have enough owners telling me they've had issues with it. I personally haven't used it with my guy. But I'm also not a fan of it because it's so much slower with it's tick kill compared to other products, which is probably a bigger issue up here. I'm currently a huge fan of the Bayer products. I'll probably start looking into the resistance issue more this upcoming week since Derm is my next rotation and I need to brush up on everything. Flea/tick/HWP are probably some of my favorite topics. Not really sure why.

And honestly, they have to think it's there. Why bother coming out with Nexgard if you're not having doubts? Although I guess it could have been just to make an oral product. I also vaguely recall our regional rep subtly hinted at it, but it totally could have been a rep for another company that said it.

I believe it. I have enough owners telling me they've had issues with it. I personally haven't used it with my guy. I'm currently a huge fan of the Bayer products. I'll probably start looking into the resistance issue more this upcoming week since Derm is my next rotation and I need to brush up on everything. Flea/tick/HWP are probably some of my favorite topics. Not really sure why.
Bayer - I like Advantage multi but take a look at their customer service one day. we had a client's cat react to the product. They returned the unused doses and we refunded. We called bayer to report and their rep told us that they will only replace the 1 vial. But it's been in a client's home. There's no way I'm going to resell the product to someone else when I can't guarantee anything. They do everything on a case by case basis.

I really like their seresto collars. But I also love Nexgard and Bravecto. Not only do they kill fleas/ticks, they can be used for demodex. And they are palatable. I tend to prefer non-topicals for dogs so the owners don't wash it off.

I believe it. I have enough owners telling me they've had issues with it. I personally haven't used it with my guy. But I'm also not a fan of it because it's so much slower with it's tick kill compared to other products, which is probably a bigger issue up here. I'm currently a huge fan of the Bayer products. I'll probably start looking into the resistance issue more this upcoming week since Derm is my next rotation and I need to brush up on everything. Flea/tick/HWP are probably some of my favorite topics. Not really sure why.

And honestly, they have to think it's there. Why bother coming out with Nexgard if you're not having doubts? Although I guess it could have been just to make an oral product. I also vaguely recall our regional rep subtly hinted at it, but it totally could have been a rep for another company that said it.
Our area rep said Nexguard came about because there was a demand for a flea product that seemed less 'chemical' to consumers. She also said "and you can use it with Frontline simultaneously for extra protection!" I don't think she realized it, but she kind of hinted there that you might want to be doing something like that with Frontline.

Bayer - I like Advantage multi but take a look at their customer service one day. we had a client's cat react to the product. They returned the unused doses and we refunded. We called bayer to report and their rep told us that they will only replace the 1 vial. But it's been in a client's home. There's no way I'm going to resell the product to someone else when I can't guarantee anything. They do everything on a case by case basis.

I really like their seresto collars. But I also love Nexgard and Bravecto. Not only do they kill fleas/ticks, they can be used for demodex. And they are palatable. I tend to prefer non-topicals for dogs so the owners don't wash it off.

I'll definitely keep the customer service bit in mind. Thanks for the heads up! Not quite something I've had to deal with just yet. I haven't worked at a place that carried it. Everywhere I've been has been mainly using Vectra/Vectra3D. And really, I'm probably a major fan of Bayer because of the Seresto collar. I love it. I love that it gets fleas and ticks and won't kill the cat in the house if they lick it. I like Advantage Multi over Revolution for dogs in regards to topicals because I believe Revolution had a slightly lower efficacy in regards to heartworm (could be wrong...this was in like 2nd year when I learned this info). I tried Nexgard and liked it too. I've heard some horror stories with Bravecto but then I've also heard people love it. I haven't personally looked into any documentation about the Bravecto issues, but I know a few at the hospital here aren't big fans of it.

Our area rep said Nexguard came about because there was a demand for a flea product that seemed less 'chemical' to consumers. She also said "and you can use it with Frontline simultaneously for extra protection!" I don't think she realized it, but she kind of hinted there that you might want to be doing something like that with Frontline.
meh. They're still chemicals (GABA specific I believe). I know Bravecto (similar compound) only affects insects and mites/ticks. I would just drop the frontline, honestly.

The company that makes an oral combo flea/tick/hw prevention that can be used in dogs and cats...that company will make a lot of money
it's going to happen soon. Well, not an oral for cats. Because cats like to be special little snowflakes and no 2 cats like the same things. But probably topical.

meh. They're still chemicals (GABA specific I believe). I know Bravecto (similar compound) only affects insects and mites/ticks. I would just drop the frontline, honestly.

it's going to happen soon. Well, not an oral for cats. Because cats like to be special little snowflakes and no 2 cats like the same things. But probably topical.
Oh definitely. But she was referring to owners smelling Frontline, getting it on their hands, etc. I've gotten that stuff (and Vectra) on my hands and it's gross. You can taste it within a few minutes.

I've heard some horror stories with Bravecto but then I've also heard people love it. I haven't personally looked into any documentation about the Bravecto issues,
I haven't heard these, but there was an instance where it was being treated similar to Trifexis. In the owners were blaming it when it wasn't related.

And Merck acted on it quickly and efficiently - both with the public and behind the scenes.

I have many patients on it and no complaints so far.

I haven't heard these, but there was an instance where it was being treated similar to Trifexis. In the owners were blaming it when it wasn't related.

And Merck acted on it quickly and efficiently - both with the public and behind the scenes.

I have many patients on it and no complaints so far.

When I first heard things, I thought it was the whole Trifexis thing again too, but then someone in the hospital recently said it they were wary of it as well and he's one that I would trust to base it on something with more proof than just stories, but who knows. It's on my list of things to look into myself.

Trifexis is the one product my dog has decided he does not like though so it's one I don't use anymore.

When I first heard things, I thought it was the whole Trifexis thing again too, but then someone in the hospital recently said it they were wary of it as well and he's one that I would trust to base it on something with more proof than just stories, but who knows. It's on my list of things to look into myself.
So several people think because it's "such a high dose" compared to Nexgard, it's something to be concerned by. And Merial likes to tell people it causes birth defects. There need to be more studies on that area, but there was no statistical difference when compared to birth defects of other litters by those dams. But still, that's easy to avoid. Don't give it to pregnant bitches. The mechanism of action would seem to limit the potential for truly bad side effects. So if it does cause an issue, I'd be interested in *how* it does that.

Damn cats! :rage:
I have mine on Revolution right now because that's the only hw prevention I can get for them at work.

I use DE topically for flea preventative...works year-round with the exception of August (typically our warmest month here). Always keep a supply of K9 Advantix II on hand for that one month.

So several people think because it's "such a high dose" compared to Nexgard, it's something to be concerned by. And Merial likes to tell people it causes birth defects. There need to be more studies on that area, but there was no statistical difference when compared to birth defects of other litters by those dams. But still, that's easy to avoid. Don't give it to pregnant bitches. The mechanism of action would seem to limit the potential for truly bad side effects. So if it does cause an issue, I'd be interested in *how* it does that.

I guess I get that, but the safety study (I like that the website has links to the papers) even dosed them at q8 weeks instead of the recommended q12 and it looked like it was mainly GI issues and not even at the highest dose level, so I dunno. I don't really buy it. I'd probably use it on my dog. I just haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I guess I get that, but the safety study (I like that the website has links to the papers) even dosed them at q8 weeks instead of the recommended q12 and it looked like it was mainly GI issues and not even at the highest dose level, so I dunno. I don't really buy it. I'd probably use it on my dog. I just haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Yeah, I don't buy it either. I really like the product. It definitely helps with flea compliance.

The GI side effects are likely from it being excreted unchanged in the feces. Because it isn't metabolized in the liver/kidneys. So I'd be really interested in learning more about these horror stories.

The company that makes an oral combo flea/tick/hw prevention that can be used in dogs and cats...that company will make a lot of money
We've had multiple clients that think Trifexis is for fleas, ticks, and heartworms. No, sorry, that's not what the "tri" means...

Everybody forgets about the intestinal parasites :(
I don't! ;)

Actually asked a client today if she was current on hw prevention because she had seen a long worm in the stool. She thought I was trying to berate her for not being compliant and I was just trying to see if roundworms were higher or lower on my list than tapeworms :)

I came home last Saturday after running around all morning to find my one dog had a massive anal sac abscess. After checking my options, I took him to my school's ES. Annoying problem, but no biggie, right? Well the dr thought the swelling seemed weird/excessive. He was concerned about anal sac adenocarcinoma. Thankfully his lymph nodes are all normal, he's not hypercalcimic, and the attempted aspirates were normal. But, he also suddenly had a grade IV heart murmur. He's an 8yo cavalier, so a murmur isn't really surprising, but it's odd that just one year ago he only had maybe a I/VI. The abscess ruptured during the exam, which was good, but we couldn't get sufficient pain relief from methadone and we didn't want to risk deeper anesthesia with the new heart murmur, so the abscess didn't get cleaned out as well as needed. He went home on antibiotics and NSAIDs. Swelling went down a lot and he was rechecked today. There is still a small mass dorsal to the anal sac; possibly scar tissue or neoplasia. So they want to remove the sac, which makes me nervous since he already had the other one removed a few years ago, and I worry about the possibility of fecal incontenence. Thankfully his chest rads showed a normal sized heart. To top it off, one of my other dogs, another cavalier, was also diagnosed with a III/VI murmur.

I'm just really stressed about all of it. I know cavs get mitral valve disease, so I knew it was coming, but that doesn't really make it any easier.

I came home last Saturday after running around all morning to find my one dog had a massive anal sac abscess. After checking my options, I took him to my school's ES. Annoying problem, but no biggie, right? Well the dr thought the swelling seemed weird/excessive. He was concerned about anal sac adenocarcinoma. Thankfully his lymph nodes are all normal, he's not hypercalcimic, and the attempted aspirates were normal. But, he also suddenly had a grade IV heart murmur. He's an 8yo cavalier, so a murmur isn't really surprising, but it's odd that just one year ago he only had maybe a I/VI. The abscess ruptured during the exam, which was good, but we couldn't get sufficient pain relief from methadone and we didn't want to risk deeper anesthesia with the new heart murmur, so the abscess didn't get cleaned out as well as needed. He went home on antibiotics and NSAIDs. Swelling went down a lot and he was rechecked today. There is still a small mass dorsal to the anal sac; possibly scar tissue or neoplasia. So they want to remove the sac, which makes me nervous since he already had the other one removed a few years ago, and I worry about the possibility of fecal incontenence. Thankfully his chest rads showed a normal sized heart. To top it off, one of my other dogs, another cavalier, was also diagnosed with a III/VI murmur.

I'm just really stressed about all of it. I know cavs get mitral valve disease, so I knew it was coming, but that doesn't really make it any easier.

Ugh. I'm sorry about all of this. But they are absolutely adorable! I said hi to them all when I was wandering around outside ES today.
And if it makes you feel any better, I had a patient on anesthesia that had an intermitted Grade IV/VI (previously had only been described as a II) and he did fine under anesthesia. Granted, he wasn't a cavie (was an ectodermal dysplasia colony dog though so who knows what was going on) and it was chalked up to being physiological at the time but he did fine under anesthesia.

Any tips on getting a dog to stop barking his head off in a crate? The roommate has tried kongs, and we're tried covering his crate up and making it darker. And we've tried Adaptil. A neighbor put in a noise complaint (which is ironic since he drums as 4AM).

Any tips on getting a dog to stop barking his head off in a crate? The roommate has tried kongs, and we're tried covering his crate up and making it darker. And we've tried Adaptil. A neighbor put in a noise complaint (which is ironic since he drums as 4AM).
Probably do some short term crating while there are people home and around and rewarding for calming down and being quiet. Starting with like 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour etc with people around and then do the short trips outside the door. Probably a long route, but the other option I would think of would be anti-barking devices which, depending on why the dog is barking, may just exacerbate the problems.

Probably do some short term crating while there are people home and around and rewarding for calming down and being quiet. Starting with like 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour etc with people around and then do the short trips outside the door. Probably a long route, but the other option I would think of would be anti-barking devices which, depending on why the dog is barking, may just exacerbate the problems.
My roommate's only had him for about a week, so it could just be general anxiety. He's silent otherwise, doesn't even play bark. We'll have to try the intervals thing, but apparently there isn't even a 5 minute period where he isn't barking while we're gone. When she crates him and I'm home, I have to let him out because he doesn't. stop. barking.

My roommate's only had him for about a week, so it could just be general anxiety. He's silent otherwise, doesn't even play bark. We'll have to try the intervals thing, but apparently there isn't even a 5 minute period where he isn't barking while we're gone. When she crates him and I'm home, I have to let him out because he doesn't. stop. barking.
Even if there's just a couple seconds where he stops barking, try to reward him then. If you continue to let him out when he barks, it'll become a learned behavior (bark=someone lets me out) and it'll get harder to train him out of it. You could also try teaching him to bark on command, which will facilitate teaching a "quiet" command.

Even if there's just a couple seconds where he stops barking, try to reward him then. If you continue to let him out when he barks, it'll become a learned behavior (bark=someone lets me out) and it'll get harder to train him out of it. You could also try teaching him to bark on command, which will facilitate teaching a "quiet" command.
Unfortunately, it no longer matters. She snuck the dog in the first place and the noise complaints went to the landlord and he got himself evicted :( He also broke out of her crate during our midterm and destroyed her room. It's sad...he's such a good dog, just has separation issues. She doesn't want to take him back to the shelter, but idk what another option would be. Thanks for the help, guys.

Not technically a pet, but this is "my" owl I care for at the wildlife center. I love her so much, she's come such a long way since when I first started working with her! I take her to programs and events to teach people about owls and other birds of prey. I almost cried today thinking about how much I'm going to miss her when I leave for vet school. She's such a good baby! This is her looking especially pretty ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 6 users
Not technically a pet, but this is "my" owl I care for at the wildlife center. I love her so much, she's come such a long way since when I first started working with her! I take her to programs and events to teach people about owls and other birds of prey. I almost cried today thinking about how much I'm going to miss her when I leave for vet school. She's such a good baby! This is her looking especially pretty ❤️
Aww :love:

Unfortunately, it no longer matters. She snuck the dog in the first place and the noise complaints went to the landlord and he got himself evicted :( He also broke out of her crate during our midterm and destroyed her room. It's sad...he's such a good dog, just has separation issues. She doesn't want to take him back to the shelter, but idk what another option would be. Thanks for the help, guys.
Aw man, poor pup :(

Honestly, sometimes the best thing is realizing you're not the best home for that animal in that given moment. I've known several people who have adopted animals with extreme separation issues (that weren't really documented prior to adoption) and while they wanted to work with them and give them a good home, they realized their current living situation wouldn't allow it. It 100% sucks but you have to do right by the animal and this at least gives them the chance to find a place that works. None of us want to give an animal back to the shelter but sometimes the fit isn't right in that moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, sometimes the best thing is realizing you're not the best home for that animal in that given moment. I've known several people who have adopted animals with extreme separation issues (that weren't really documented prior to adoption) and while they wanted to work with them and give them a good home, they realized their current living situation wouldn't allow it. It 100% sucks but you have to do right by the animal and this at least gives them the chance to find a place that works. None of us want to give an animal back to the shelter but sometimes the fit isn't right in that moment.
We spent 6 months on a Great Pyranees. We were told she was crate trained, house broken and great with horses.
She had severe separation anxiety. She tore her claws and gums chewing her way out of her kennel when we left her alone during the day. We trained her to be fine in it while we were home, but no amount of treats or toys could keep her in when we weren't there. We gave up eventually and tried leaving her in the livingroom. She destroyed the house. We started locking her in the kitchen with all food, dishes, everything cleared away.

She was food aggressive. We trained her to let us touch her and her food and actually enjoy it. She never did bite, but she threatened to with the kids. She say them as unable to say no.

She chased and barked at the horses. We taught her not to, but again, only when we were watching.

She loved dogs, but tried to kill and eat my goats and chickens. I tried to teach her that they were friends and she stopped barking when she tried to kill them.

On leash she was perfect. Off leash or out of the yard, she bolted every time. She hated going for walks and runs with us. She played fetch, but got bored after a few throws.

Eventually, we had a dog that was only happy on the couch with us or at the dog park. She was the perfect old family dog. Worst farm dog ever. We gave up after she started lunging for the baby goats when we looked away and couldn't be trusted not to knock over the kids to steal their food even with us in the room.

We brought her back to the rescue. It broke my heart. I felt like a failure. But, I was able to show all the work we had put into her. All the tricks she could do. Her immaculate grooming and willingness to put up with an hour of brushing every day. Her hugs. Her kisses. We described the perfect family: city family, kids over 10 and able to say no firmly, short walks and either dog park or obedience work rather than a jogger, tall fenced yard and hopefully a second dog. Cats were ok if they were dog savy. I had broke her habit of trying to kill the cats at least, even though we were told she was great with cats when we got her.

Sometimes we aren't the right family. No matter how hard we try. I did everything I could. I made her better for the next family. Twelve year old boy and sibling, city family with a lab that needed energy burned. She is happy. We still need another dog, but we learned our lesson on pushing it and are waiting for the next one to show up and ask to come home.

Reactions: 2 users
Aw man, poor pup :(
Yeah I feel bad for him and my roomie. We just can't be there for the dog all day. It sucks because when she went to pick him out, he was the only dog that was calm as can be in a room full of kenneled dogs. No barking whatsoever, that's why she picked him. Her decision is to either give him up completely or try to find someone to 'foster' him until the summer when she'll have time to at least try to work with him and give him another shot. We're moving into a house next year, so he'd be happier there anyways if that's the case. I just feel so bad because I get the whole anxiety thing.