All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We go pick this little boy up on Sunday. He has Superfeet! (Double dew claws on back end) They are calling him a boxer cross, but looking at the rest of the litter and mom says dad was a Rottie (most of the siblings are black and brindle instead of black and tan or brindle) Mom is a 60 lb brindle mutt that looks like she could have been the sister of my old Mastiff mix, but tiny.

My hubby and I are looking for name suggestions. His current favorite is Fezzik. I could kinda go for it, but I'm sure there is something better. Anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 195003864.jpg
    195003864.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 users
Inconceivable. There is no better name than Fezzik.

Unless it's Inigo.

Members don't see this ad :)
We also thought about naming him Stormaggedon: Dark Lord of All or Alfie for short, because Stormy is kinda lame.

I know a cat named Shawshank.

Alfie is such a cute nickname for a Dark Lord. :p
It's Doctor Who.

But check out these toes. He looks like a polydactyl! (Sorry it's fuzzy, phone had slobber on it apparently)

Attachments

• 20160302_155440-1.jpg
    20160302_155440-1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 1 user
Wait, I missed a Doctor Who reference?

We had polydactyl kittens last year! I wanted to adopt* one so badly. They were the coolest cats.

*my phone just autocorrected adopt to shoot. Obviously it's time for bed.

Alfie is a baby. The Doctor claimed to speak baby and said Alfie preferred to be called Stormaggedon

Of course it's snowing, so poor Wally is freezing. And I had to bring him back today because he's developed hematuria that he didn't have when leaving. =(

I vote Stormaggedon/Alfie! Do you guys have other dogs, or will this guy be the spoiled only child?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mom called today to say our indoor/outdoor cat hasn't been home since Wednesday, which isn't like him. Starting to worry and wish I were there to help search :(

Someone PLEASE talk me out of getting a Corgi puppy...quickly...

Remember when I said this? We've been actively looking for a few weeks now. Waiting on one lady to email/call me back. I don't understand how you don't check/respond to email over the course of whole week?! So I left a voicemail today...hopefully a response soon so we can go look later today or tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Remember when I said this? We've been actively looking for a few weeks now. Waiting on one lady to email/call me back. I don't understand how you don't check/respond to email over the course of whole week?! So I left a voicemail today...hopefully a response soon so we can go look later today or tomorrow.

Yayyyy corgis!

I'm a little sad because the breeder I liked so far based on website and initial contact with my mom seems to no longer be breeding because her website is gone. :(

Have you checked out any corgi rescues?

We are currently at a cancer fundraising event with my corgis!! There are a few corgi rescues in TX, and I know of 1 in KS, but idk about other states. My corgi/aussie mix came from a rescue.

My friend got a "purebred corgi" from a breeder, and it ended up not being a full corgi. My little Hazel was from a breeder, and I made sure to see her parents first! She will be 9 this year!! ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 44
We are currently at a cancer fundraising event with my corgis!! There are a few corgi rescues in TX, and I know of 1 in KS, but idk about other states. My corgi/aussie mix came from a rescue.

My friend got a "purebred corgi" from a breeder, and it ended up not being a full corgi. My little Hazel was from a breeder, and I made sure to see her parents first! She will be 9 this year!! ❤️
So adorbs

So excited for you!! Hopefully she'll get in touch soon.

I vote Stormaggedon/Alfie! Do you guys have other dogs, or will this guy be the spoiled only child?
Only dog child for now. We've been trying to get a Swiss Mountain Dog since before my mastiff mix died 2 years ago, so eventually we will get one (or bale and get another mastiff). He's going to be totally spoiled!

My pittie child has his "gotcha" day this week. Crazy to think this time last year he was scared to leave the corner of one room. And now, he's squishing me into the corner of my queen sized bed taking up the whole derned thing. Comfortable much?

This sweet boy isn't really mine, but he's a stray that showed up around my apartment last weekend and has stolen my heart. He clearly belonged to someone at some point because he's SUPER affectionate, but I haven't had any luck finding his owner or someone willing to adopt him. :( I so wish I could keep him, but my boyfriend is horribly allergic. We had a friend that we thought would be able to take him, but then her boyfriend said no. He's staying with my parents temporarily, and I'm hoping they'll fall in love with him too and decide to keep him permanently, but they just took in another new cat a couple months ago, so I'll understand if they say no. I have an appointment to get him checked out at the clinic I work at on Tuesday, and I'm hoping if I take care of getting him vaccinated and neutered, it will be easier to find him a home. Maybe I'll get lucky and find out he has a microchip, but I would think someone willing to microchip their cat would also have gotten him neutered. Worst case scenario, my boyfriend's parents have a friend who'd take him as a barn cat, but we'd really prefer that he be someone's indoor lap kitty. I don't normally make a habit of taking in strays like this, but he's just such a sweetheart that I couldn't leave him out on the streets!

2016-02-27 17.07.35.jpg
2016-03-04 16.16.25.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
This is Macaroni Jack! I adopted him from the animal control facility that I work at over breaks. He was a tiny little thing when he first came in, but he's quickly grown to monstrous proportions (the vet thinks he'll be about 14 pounds as an adult). He ended up staying in foster for a long time because he had ringworm on his tail, and then nobody wanted to adopt him because he was still recovering from the ringworm by the time we neutered him. He's my little buddy now. He's also a giant nuisance who likes to cause trouble - in other words, a cat.

1432833907790.jpg

The first day he came in to our facility - his name was Cream Cheese! :p
20150528_122614.jpg
IMG_1434.jpg

A few days before he was neutered. You can't see it well in this picture, but because of the ringworm he had a bald spot and then a tuft of hair on the end of his tail that made him look like a lion.
IMG951599.jpg
He quickly decided that pink is his color.
IMG_1623.jpg

Look at my Lil Mac!

He keeps getting more and more orange! :D

Reactions: 6 users
This is Macaroni Jack! I adopted him from the animal control facility that I work at over breaks. He was a tiny little thing when he first came in, but he's quickly grown to monstrous proportions (the vet thinks he'll be about 14 pounds as an adult). He ended up staying in foster for a long time because he had ringworm on his tail, and then nobody wanted to adopt him because he was still recovering from the ringworm by the time we neutered him. He's my little buddy now. He's also a giant nuisance who likes to cause trouble - in other words, a cat.

View attachment 201081
View attachment 201082 View attachment 201083
A few days before he was neutered. You can't see it well in this picture, but because of the ringworm he had a bald spot and then a tuft of hair on the end of his tail that made him look like a lion.
View attachment 201084 He quickly decided that pink is his color.View attachment 201085
Look at my Lil Mac!

Cute!

Also jealous of your jetted tub.

I have a question about biting in my female dog. Her name is Beatrix and she is 8 months old. When she was younger I had some issues with her biting me while playing, a bit more aggressively than I liked. I dog trainer I met in a park gave me some tips on how to squash this behavior and reinforce my dominance, which helped for a while (just stuff like firm assertive petting, which she seemed to like and find comforting). Recently though, she has started biting me if I leave the house for a minute, like to take out the garbage. when I get back she is frantic like I left for 4 hours and starts biting my legs and hands in an aggressive way. Also, she has started to become aggressive about garbage she wants to eat, and the other day bit my arm when I took away the door stop she was trying to eat, even though I offered her treats in exchange. Not sure if these two behaviors are coming from the same place but they started at the same time. I guess my questions are; does anyone have experience with this? and how can I eliminate this aggressive biting? Is this just a puppy phase, and I am misinterpreting play biting for aggression? Usually when she play bites she doesn't close her mouth, but she is recently started to leave welts.

any thoughts or tips would be great.

@LadyOtheFarm how's new puppy doing?
He's adorable!
Hubby won the name game via shear force of will and a blitz campaign that involved including the puppy in every conversation and calling him Fezzik every single time.

He won over both the girls in a matter of minutes. He did pee on the carpet a few times, but after the first he was warning me, I just didn't spot it. Mostly he went outside. He has a bit of diarrhea/colitis, but even that was solidifying through the day. He's eating well and good energy. Only yippee once when he thought I forgot him outside.

He's going to be a great dog!

Reactions: 3 users
I have a question about biting in my female dog. Her name is Beatrix and she is 8 months old. When she was younger I had some issues with her biting me while playing, a bit more aggressively than I liked. I dog trainer I met in a park gave me some tips on how to squash this behavior and reinforce my dominance, which helped for a while (just stuff like firm assertive petting, which she seemed to like and find comforting). Recently though, she has started biting me if I leave the house for a minute, like to take out the garbage. when I get back she is frantic like I left for 4 hours and starts biting my legs and hands in an aggressive way. Also, she has started to become aggressive about garbage she wants to eat, and the other day bit my arm when I took away the door stop she was trying to eat, even though I offered her treats in exchange. Not sure if these two behaviors are coming from the same place but they started at the same time. I guess my questions are; does anyone have experience with this? and how can I eliminate this aggressive biting? Is this just a puppy phase, and I am misinterpreting play biting for aggression? Usually when she play bites she doesn't close her mouth, but she is recently started to leave welts.

any thoughts or tips would be great.

SDN not for medical advice...visit your local veterinary behaviorist. Good luck :)

View attachment 201081
View attachment 201082 View attachment 201083
View attachment 201084 He quickly decided that pink is his color.View attachment 201085
Look at my Lil Mac!

Flame point!!! :love:

So the search for a permanent home for my stray kitty is now on hold, because I brought him to work today to get him checked out, and he tested positive for feline leukemia. :( The vet I work with said it could just be a transient infection, and he'll need to be tested again in six weeks, and he can't get neutered until then. But he got his rabies and DRCP vaccines, and he's now on Clavamox and has drops for his eye infection. My parents are going to continue fostering him for the time being, and keep him quarantined from their other cats (they've been vaccinated for FeLV, but better safe than sorry, and the eye infection is contagious too). I'm at least glad that he's not still on the streets spreading the virus, and I didn't give him away to someone who might not have gotten him tested. It might sound stupid, but I kind of think this guy came to me for a reason so that I could help him out. Prayers and good thoughts that he'll be able to fight off the virus would be appreciated!

So the search for a permanent home for my stray kitty is now on hold, because I brought him to work today to get him checked out, and he tested positive for feline leukemia. :( The vet I work with said it could just be a transient infection, and he'll need to be tested again in six weeks, and he can't get neutered until then. But he got his rabies and DRCP vaccines, and he's now on Clavamox and has drops for his eye infection. My parents are going to continue fostering him for the time being, and keep him quarantined from their other cats (they've been vaccinated for FeLV, but better safe than sorry, and the eye infection is contagious too). I'm at least glad that he's not still on the streets spreading the virus, and I didn't give him away to someone who might not have gotten him tested. It might sound stupid, but I kind of think this guy came to me for a reason so that I could help him out. Prayers and good thoughts that he'll be able to fight off the virus would be appreciated!

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel :( I fell in love with an abandoned stray last year, and the first place we went was to the clinic. He ended up testing positive for FIV. I was so sad because he was the SWEETEST thing, but I ended up finding him a home with no cats. It could still work out, don't give up hope yet!

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel :( I fell in love with an abandoned stray last year, and the first place we went was to the clinic. He ended up testing positive for FIV. I was so sad because he was the SWEETEST thing, but I ended up finding him a home with no cats. It could still work out, don't give up hope yet!
Just an FYI - FIV positive kitties can often live with non-infected cats with no problems. It's really only transferable through sex and blood to blood contact, like really bad fights. Lots of FIV cats live nice long normal lives too. FeLV is more easily transferred and their prognosis is not nearly as good.

Just an FYI - FIV positive kitties can often live with non-infected cats with no problems. It's really only transferable through sex and blood to blood contact, like really bad fights. Lots of FIV cats live nice long normal lives too. FeLV is more easily transferred and their prognosis is not nearly as good.

I know, and I debated and debated for days on whether I should have kept him or not... I decided that I absolutely could not take the risk and I didn't want to infect my kitten (especially since he loves to play rough). I did so much research and read TONS of papers on FIV during that time that I felt like an expert!

I'm sorry to hear it :( AAFP has a good hand out on FeLV/FIV if you're interested on reading up: http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/RetrovirusGLS-Summary.pdf

Hahaha YES, we got a Cardigan on Saturday :D I haven't been on Facebook since before Thanksgiving but my sister posted a picture there. So I'll have to get it so I can post it here for all to see.

He is a cute little devil, doing decently with housebreaking. He's such a complainer about everything but he's starting to settle down after you leave him by himself. He lived in a small, crowded house with someone home all of the time so he needs to learn that sometimes you're alone, get over it. I'm working on socializing him - he's shy at first which makes me freak out in the behavior section of my vet brain, but I brought him to work and had people give him treats and snuggle him and he did great. Planning for either me or the huzz to bring him places every day for more socialization. My old soul dog was a rather aloof lady - she would allow peasants people to pet her and then be like kthx, let's go now - so I don't mind that he isn't like a Lab or something, but I don't want him to be nervous with new people.

Overall: holy crap, why did I get a puppy again?! But he is so very cute :)

Hahaha YES, we got a Cardigan on Saturday :D I haven't been on Facebook since before Thanksgiving but my sister posted a picture there. So I'll have to get it so I can post it here for all to see.

He is a cute little devil, doing decently with housebreaking. He's such a complainer about everything but he's starting to settle down after you leave him by himself. He lived in a small, crowded house with someone home all of the time so he needs to learn that sometimes you're alone, get over it. I'm working on socializing him - he's shy at first which makes me freak out in the behavior section of my vet brain, but I brought him to work and had people give him treats and snuggle him and he did great. Planning for either me or the huzz to bring him places every day for more socialization. My old soul dog was a rather aloof lady - she would allow peasants people to pet her and then be like kthx, let's go now - so I don't mind that he isn't like a Lab or something, but I don't want him to be nervous with new people.

Are Cardigans the ones with the floofy tails?? :love:

Since we have failed miserable at meeting up so far, now we need to try for puppy play dates!

Since we have failed miserable at meeting up so far, now we need to try for puppy play dates!

I think I've told you that I work with the girl who was at your job before you got there and whenever she mentions her old job I think of you and facepalm that I've been so slacking! Now that the weather is nicer though we definitely need to puppy playdate :)

Also, my work people are so great. I've gotten two welcome-new-puppy gift bags full of treats and toys! He'll work on two of his Kong-type toys when there's food in them and he's figured out how to eat out of his eat-slower-swirly bowl for food but his favorite seems to be the puppy Nylabone my coworker gave me. Nylabones make me nervous because of heard of dogs cracking their teeth on them but apparently this is supposed to be softer for puppies specifically? So we're just keeping a close eye on him while he has it. But it is the toy that makes him silent, soo... ;) He has no interest in the various antlers/bones he was sent home with.

I think I've told you that I work with the girl who was at your job before you got there and whenever she mentions her old job I think of you and facepalm that I've been so slacking! Now that the weather is nicer though we definitely need to puppy playdate :)

Also, my work people are so great. I've gotten two welcome-new-puppy gift bags full of treats and toys! He'll work on two of his Kong-type toys when there's food in them and he's figured out how to eat out of his eat-slower-swirly bowl for food but his favorite seems to be the puppy Nylabone my coworker gave me. Nylabones make me nervous because of heard of dogs cracking their teeth on them but apparently this is supposed to be softer for puppies specifically? So we're just keeping a close eye on him while he has it. But it is the toy that makes him silent, soo... ;) He has no interest in the various antlers/bones he was sent home with.

I totally understand the fear. I feel guilty because my dog has a Benebone (sort of similar to a nylabone i guess) and an antler (he rarely uses this). He chews the benebone the most but I'll trade out a different toy if I feel like he's chewing too vigorously.

Foster dog is beginning to show some legit signs of separate anxiety. I'm on my behavior rotation and unfortunately I still don't really have a grasp of how to really deal with it because from the clinic side of things, you used a SSRI/TCA + behavior modification while the shelter he is from doesn't like to use drugs right away (which I get but separation issues is hard to deal with) . Also doesn't help that I have a roommate who reinforces it by letting him out if he's whining at her.

I did just take him for a longer walk (he's a tri-pod so still slightly exercise restricted) and tried to do some training before hand so hopefully that will help. I also gave him a kong toy with frozen peanut butter but he's not as food motivated as compared to my actual dog so I don't think it holds his focus for as long.

Foster dog is beginning to show some legit signs of separate anxiety. I'm on my behavior rotation and unfortunately I still don't really have a grasp of how to really deal with it because from the clinic side of things, you used a SSRI/TCA + behavior modification while the shelter he is from doesn't like to use drugs right away (which I get but separation issues is hard to deal with) . Also doesn't help that I have a roommate who reinforces it by letting him out if he's whining at her.

I did just take him for a longer walk (he's a tri-pod so still slightly exercise restricted) and tried to do some training before hand so hopefully that will help. I also gave him a kong toy with frozen peanut butter but he's not as food motivated as compared to my actual dog so I don't think it holds his focus for as long.
soooo many ways to start with behavior modification. Including but not limited to changing your routine so that it doesn't trigger anxiety and having a distraction treat or toy in a crate. Reconcile has a really nice dvd on the behavior mod side (you don't need to use meds).