All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bok Choy was the first thing that came to my mind :p

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
F1suFuu.jpg

Help me SDN! My roomie is fostering this beast, and she is nameless! My normal attempts at getting her to be named something ridiculous and food related has (as always) failed and we would love suggestions.

She's very sweet, a youngish adult, and thinks ferrets are the coolest things ever to bark at. Otherwise we don't have any past history.
Evie McKnight

She really looks like a Brenda Tinklepants to me, but who wants to adopt a dog named Tinklepants?

Reactions: 1 user
F1suFuu.jpg

Help me SDN! My roomie is fostering this beast, and she is nameless! My normal attempts at getting her to be named something ridiculous and food related has (as always) failed and we would love suggestions.

She's very sweet, a youngish adult, and thinks ferrets are the coolest things ever to bark at. Otherwise we don't have any past history.
Wookie!

Hm...my suggestion is:

My cat knows well enough that when I am eating dinner, she's not allowed near my food. So I often eat my food in my room, on my bed. But, the bed is how she get to the windowsill.
My cat instead of breaking the "no cat near food rule" will sneak her way to the window by literally crawling up the side of my bed and slowly pull herself up to the window. While I watch.
I really need to get a video of it next time to show you guys.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And here my cat just shoves her head into whatever I'm eating and tries to help herself :laugh:

That's so cute! A video is a must.

my cat is usually good with food (I did train her to sit for food). But every now and then, if she wants something real bad, she'll try to paw my hand towards her mouth so she can sniff and/or eat it.

my cat is usually good with food (I did train her to sit for food). But every now and then, if she wants something real bad, she'll try to paw my hand towards her mouth so she can sniff and/or eat it.
I trained one of my kitties to sit too! She's a merciless beggar, and will do anything for food. She does the same pawing thing whenever I'm eating anything. But now there's this funny moment where you can just see the wheels turning in her head, and she suddenly stops pawing and composes herself into a pretty sitting position.

My boy isn't a beggar but I trained him to sit and "say please" before he gets his food. Sadly the older cat is the one who could use that kind of training, but she doesn't give a **** so all attempts have failed. She knows she is not allowed on the table but that does not stop her from jumping up there and coming over to investigate your food if it smells good enough.

0528162352a.jpg
0528162351a.jpg

Made Sampson a blanket tonight :) it's for the end of my bed where he sits and looks out the window during the day because my white quilt is quickly turning brown

Reactions: 5 users
I know you guys are waiting with bated breath for a final update. Mitzi and Bark Choy have been combined (sort of) for the final name to be Kimchi. I like it. :D Despite me not being a little dog person, this is probably my favourite of her fosters that she has brought home, super sweet and snuggly.

She is absolutely fascinated by the ferrets... they're less enthused:

1wk31O9.jpg

oZptsQv.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
My cat smacks my food with her paw, then licks her paw. This works great for ice cream as the ice cream sticks to her paw and she actually gets to lick some off her paw. She can't seem to understand that this doesn't work for all foods.

And she's really fast with the paw smacking, at times you don't even see her and definitely don't see the paw coming until too late. Other times you know she's there so you're on guard but even then she'll occasionally win and get her paw on the ice cream before you can pull it away.

Reactions: 3 users
Wasn't paying attention when I order hay for the piggies and ordered a different type of cut that is a little more stemmy/straw like than they like to eat. I've been trying out this new brand of hay since I can no longer get Oxbow cheap through school. I've only ordered it twice and it's been a great quality hay (green and nice smelling) but they have the option of all the different cuts (plus you can get it through Amazon, so yay 2 day shipping). Now I know that my guys prefer the 2nd cut hay.

I brought my pup in with me today because he was due for rabies vacc, and despite being understandably nervous at staying in the office he was such a good boy! Lots of compliments on him and his ears, haha. Every time I left the front desk area he had to go peek out from under the side door and watch/wait for me to come back.

ImageUploadedBySDN1465004001.786463.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1465004021.903952.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
My husband is out of town so these two take full advantage of bed hogging! I woke up squished against the wall. :laugh:
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone has pet mice, could you recommend a nice/fun cage to get? :D

38sGfWG.jpg

My two cats have really only begrudgingly tolerated each other since Pangur Ban (the white one) moved in last year. They got a good slow introduction and weren't ever aggressive or anything, but really just kind of lived in the same space.

Suddenly - over the last two weeks or so - they've been snuggling, sleeping next to each other, playing and being all sorts of adorable and nice. I don't know what's in the water but it makes me very happy.

:love:

Reactions: 15 users
What kind of stuff did you put in for enrichment? Like toys and things?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
I had a hamster ball that they could run around in outside of the cage, I swapped out empty Kleenex boxes and toilet paper rolls for them to nest in, had a wheel, and occasionally would buy random stuff at Petco (like the blocks of wood to gnaw on or treats). I also mixed their diet so it was mostly the pellets but with a seed mixture as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a hamster ball that they could run around in outside of the cage, I swapped out empty Kleenex boxes and toilet paper rolls for them to nest in, had a wheel, and occasionally would buy random stuff at Petco (like the blocks of wood to gnaw on or treats). I also mixed their diet so it was mostly the pellets but with a seed mixture as well.

Second the toilet paper/paper towel rolls, a napkin or paper towel to shred, stuff to chew on and fruits/veggies. I also let mine run around in the (empty) bathtub while I changed out their bedding and had some old Barbie or whatnot play-castle thing that I put in there that they loved to climb all over.

I also let mine run around in the (empty) bathtub while I changed out their bedding and had some old Barbie or whatnot play-castle thing that I put in there that they loved to climb all over.
I've done the same thing with Guinea pigs too. It's a great that you don't have to find a separate container and its easy to clean up afterward--I also sometimes put a little bit of hay/other treats in the tub so they could have fun while I did that.

Watching my sister's two Bostons and my parents two budgies while they're on family vacation and I'm ready to pull my hair out. I don't trust the Bostons near the chickens (my guy is fine with them) so I've been keeping the chickens in their pen instead of free ranging in the yard. Two of them have figured out how to fly over the 6' enclosure fence so the last two mornings I've let the dogs out only to see a loose chicken. Fortunately the dogs recall well but UGH stay in your pen, chickens! Then the three dogs are constantly playing, wrestling, chasing each other, drooling everywhere, covered in saliva and then the two Bostons will jump up on the couch/bed/me (my guy isn't allowed on any furniture) and dig at me with their talons. At least they're all sweet dogs and otherwise well behaved but ugh :laugh: About ready to throw them all in the stew pot!

The second half of these came in the mail last night:
20160628_220323.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Did you do the Surprise or choose your breeds?
We chose. We have about 37 meat birds (10 Cornish X and 27 free range reds) and 18 more laying birds (a few Marans, leghorns, Rocks, Araucanas, Javas, ...) but they do send a surprise chick with the order.

We chose. We have about 37 meat birds (10 Cornish X and 27 free range reds) and 18 more laying birds (a few Marans, leghorns, Rocks, Araucanas, Javas, ...) but they do send a surprise chick with the order.

One of the hatcheries (Meyer, maybe?) will do an entire surprise order. Often includes a couple ducklings and perhaps a turkey or two. I think they send at least 50 though, so too much for my space currently, but it's fun to see what people end up with on BYC :)

One of the hatcheries (Meyer, maybe?) will do an entire surprise order. Often includes a couple ducklings and perhaps a turkey or two. I think they send at least 50 though, so too much for my space currently, but it's fun to see what people end up with on BYC :)
We have a tom and hen with 6 babies running around already. We are also on the creek and the culvert so we weren't sure if ducks wouldn't just nest down there and get eaten by something.

I'm such a bad dog mom. I forgot that my dog's gotcha day was yesterday. Having worked on Sunday, I keep getting my days and dates mixed up. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll make it up to him then.

mmmmm. Turkey. Is it TDay yet?! :hungry:
Naw, but the babies will be ready by Thanksgiving. He'll hopefully make more beautiful babies for us with his girlfriend... unless they don't grow well, then we'll change up the breeding program, because under all those pretty feathers he is a little skinny. I think he's too busy showing off.
. . . . I didn't know that turkeys can look like this. He's beautiful!
He's a Royal Palm turkey. He's actually got a couple feathers he's rubbed off on the chicken roosts, so he gets prettier. The red on his neck actually gets pale white too when he's not flirting.

2016-06-29 23.10.45.jpg
2016-06-29 23.12.44.jpg

And he just walks around like that whenever anybody is in view. If you hug him though, he coos and the feathers all go down so he can snuggle up against you and he head butts like our cats. Yeah, we'll have trouble eating him.

Reactions: 4 users
I think one of my cats may have ringworm. I have been so careful to change clothes at work and wash up super well when we've had confirmed or suspected ringworm kitties in the clinic too. FML.

I think one of my cats may have ringworm. I have been so careful to change clothes at work and wash up super well when we've had confirmed or suspected ringworm kitties in the clinic too. FML.

We have fleas at work. I have some bites (that itch like CRAZY), and I've been super paranoid that I'll bring fleas home with me (even though I know it's unlikely). I feel your pain.

We have fleas at work. I have some bites (that itch like CRAZY), and I've been super paranoid that I'll bring fleas home with me (even though I know it's unlikely). I feel your pain.

Ugh, fleas are the worst!

Really hoping I'm being paranoid, but we've had so many ringworm cats lately and I've been roped into working with all of them and in charge of disinfecting duty* afterwards, I wouldn't be surprised if I brought some home on accident.

But this isn't the kitty I spend the most time with, and said kitty has nothing on her, so fingers crossed its just some random flaky skin (and the red is just irritation from where I picked it off and is gone tomorrow....).

(*I think they have me clean up because they know I'm paranoid enough about it spreading that I won't leave anything untouched. Pretty sure the exam rooms count as a sterile environment when I'm done with them :laugh: )

Ugh, fleas are the worst!

Really hoping I'm being paranoid, but we've had so many ringworm cats lately and I've been roped into working with all of them and in charge of disinfecting duty* afterwards, I wouldn't be surprised if I brought some home on accident.

But this isn't the kitty I spend the most time with, and said kitty has nothing on her, so fingers crossed its just some random flaky skin (and the red is just irritation from where I picked it off and is gone tomorrow....).

(*I think they have me clean up because they know I'm paranoid enough about it spreading that I won't leave anything untouched. Pretty sure the exam rooms count as a sterile environment when I'm done with them :laugh: )
lots of cats are just carriers of ringworm

:whistle: