All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any suggestions for any chews for my pup? I used to always buy the rawhide strips my family got, but after the "don't buy anything that you can't easily bend" lecture, I've been wary. I would like to get something that 1) wouldn't break my dog's teeth 2) won't break my wallet and 3) will take my dog more than 1 second to chew.

My dogs love the OraVet chews. They don't last a super long time but I have Labs and the heaviest chewer has destroyed Kongs so ...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think because she'll still have to follow up with chemo, and that her vets have so far estimated another year tops. She wants to know that he'll have a good year, not a year recovering from the amputation and chemotherapy and still be uncomfortable. She's still getting info from local university hospitals to see what her options are.

last dog we had in for amputation spent 3 days "recovering" and is back to her usual self. They didn't pursue chemo, but dogs tolerate chemo and the like really well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any chews for my pup? I used to always buy the rawhide strips my family got, but after the "don't buy anything that you can't easily bend" lecture, I've been wary. I would like to get something that 1) wouldn't break my dog's teeth 2) won't break my wallet and 3) will take my dog more than 1 second to chew.

1. oravet if you can
2. purina dental chewz if you can't

One day I'll learn that every foster I bring in will have fleas, whether it's been treated or not. My protocol should be to immediately toss them in the tub with some dawn soap (exceptions being for medical reasons).

Members don't see this ad :)
One day I'll learn that every foster I bring in will have fleas, whether it's been treated or not. My protocol should be to immediately toss them in the tub with some dawn soap (exceptions being for medical reasons).

Um, does this mean there are more babies and you haven't posted pictures yet?!?

Reactions: 1 users
It has always amazed me how much better animals seem to handle chemo than humans. Not sure if it's that different drugs are used or what, but they seem to do pretty well with it.
It's my understanding that a lower dosage is used in animals which is why we don't see as many side effects.

Um, does this mean there are more babies and you haven't posted pictures yet?!?
She's an older gal, about 2 years, recovering from a URI. Will post pics when she's dry. Super lovable little thing. Thought she was real cute rolling around on my bed until I noticed she was itching and biting herself too.

She's an older gal, about 2 years, recovering from a URI. Will post pics when she's dry. Super lovable little thing. Thought she was real cute rolling around on my bed until I noticed she was itching and biting herself too.

Aww, poor thing! Hope she recovers quick.

Sorry about the fleas again!

image.jpeg

Hello Miss Ivysaur

Reactions: 6 users

I've done almost 5K in dental CE in the past year...and I still give my dogs inappropriate chew toys. Beef bones, hooves, pigs ears.... I'm a bad vet. But my dogs have beautiful teeth! I'm just waiting for my first slab fracture to come along though.... and then I can make my boss extract for me. And I think that makes me worse than a bad vet, but oh well. I gave up on finding long lasting chew toys that were good for them and that I could afford.

Wish I could upload a video to show you guys what she's doing right now. I'm scratching her shoulders and she's stepping with her back legs. Honestly don't know if it's a quirk or if she's in heat or what, but it's goofy looking lol

Wish I could upload a video to show you guys what she's doing right now. I'm scratching her shoulders and she's stepping with her back legs. Honestly don't know if it's a quirk or if she's in heat or what, but it's goofy looking lol
Is she not spayed yet?
(It can be a heat thing. I've also seen a cat with bad hips that would do that when you scritched her tail head and we came to the conclusion that she said it "hurt so good!")

Is she not spayed yet?
(It can be a heat thing. I've also seen a cat with bad hips that would do that when you scritched her tail head and we came to the conclusion that she said it "hurt so good!")
I don't know, I'll need to double check her record. She came in as a stray last month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I diagnosed a cat as "in heat" today, lol. 10 months old and owner reported eating a little less and vocalizing more for a few days... flagging for me and super roly poly and friendly for exam. I like those diagnoses. ;)

I diagnosed a cat as "in heat" today, lol. 10 months old and owner reported eating a little less and vocalizing more for a few days... flagging for me and super roly poly and friendly for exam. I like those diagnoses. ;)
Well, that might just be it then. I've never had an intact female long enough to see one in heat. I got my own spayed at the first opportunity.

I figured the rolling and rubbing was itchiness. I did find two live fleas on me and washed/combed a handful off of her.

Both videos look pretty in heat to me. In the first she even points her hind end at you, cocks her tail to the side, and the stomping her feet thing is to help get traction and positioning right. She might not be, but she sure acts like she is in those 2 videos.

Think this is going to be the last foster I take in from this shelter. All three cats have had fleas, and now my apartment is harboring fleas even after the cats are clean. I get that fleas are a hazard of shelters and fostering, but clearly the flea prevention program isn't working and I can't bring more fleas into my apartment. I have bites on my feet and ankles and have plucked fleas off my feet. I can't take it.

Think this is going to be the last foster I take in from this shelter. All three cats have had fleas, and now my apartment is harboring fleas even after the cats are clean. I get that fleas are a hazard of shelters and fostering, but clearly the flea prevention program isn't working and I can't bring more fleas into my apartment. I have bites on my feet and ankles and have plucked fleas off my feet. I can't take it.

Flea Busters powder ;)
Amazon product

Guys, I'm internally struggling for reasons not to adopt this cat when she's better. Every time I check on her she's so lovable.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, I'm internally struggling for reasons not to adopt this cat when she's better. Every time I check on her she's so lovable.

You're asking to be talked off the ledge by people that will tell you to take the plunge :p

Reactions: 4 users
You're asking to be talked off the ledge by people that will tell you to take the plunge :p
I did my best.

I moved 3 cats here with me. We've been feeding and loving on the one we found here... and now my husband says he's seen a 5th cat only at night and wants to know what we should do with it. I'm not in any position to tell someone not to take on another cat.

With BF possibly moving in next May with his cat, I do not have room in my apartment. I do not have room in my apartment for three felines.

I have a 650sqft apartment. I truly don't. :laugh:
That's plenty of room! Between my roomie and me we have 5 cats in trailer that's not terribly bigger than your place. No problems with smells, inappropriate urination, or aggression. 50% of the time all five are hanging out together in the same room. The other 50% of the time they split off into the group of two and three.

Dog sitting my sister's two Bostons yesterday/today/tomorrow. My puppy used to terrorize the crap out of her younger male Boston - just constantly wanting to play, even when the other guy was done - but this time they're playing SO well together. My guy is so happy and it tuckers him out, the biggest bonus :)

Man, I just, LOVE finding flea dirt on my cat after giving her flea meds. Haven't found a live flea. Yet.

Is there some hard and fast rule about OD'ing a cat on flea meds? Is that a thing? Because she did rub some of her last dose onto my couch. But I don't want to administer more if there's gonna be an adverse side effect.

Man, I just, LOVE finding flea dirt on my cat after giving her flea meds. Haven't found a live flea. Yet.

Is there some hard and fast rule about OD'ing a cat on flea meds? Is that a thing? Because she did rub some of her last dose onto my couch. But I don't want to administer more if there's gonna be an adverse side effect.
One fat blood-filled flea found. On my treated cat. UGH.

*not medical advice*
If a client came in with a cat with really bad flea issues, and they had already used a topical preventative, we would give them a single capstar (Nitenpyram) to kill current fleas, and then tell them to wait 2 weeks post-topical application and then use a longer lasting oral preventative like comfortis. Also we would tell them to make sure to get rid of fleas in the environment as well.

**also not medical dvice, just personal experience**

what have you been using? Advantage and Frontline don't seem to do much around here.

I'd also probably pick up that Fleabusters powder vs. the Hartz to treat your environment. It works really well.

*not medical advice*
If a client came in with a cat with really bad flea issues, and they had already used a topical preventative, we would give them a single capstar (Nitenpyram) to kill current fleas, and then tell them to wait 2 weeks post-topical application and then use a longer lasting oral preventative like comfortis. Also we would tell them to make sure to get rid of fleas in the environment as well.
I'll keep that in mind. I'm working on fleas in the environment using flea powder in the carpet and I've borrowed my parents steam cleaner.

**also not medial cal advice, just personal experience**

what have you been using? Advantage and Frontline don't seem to do much around here.

I'd also probably pick up that Fleabusters powder vs. the Hartz to treat your environment. It works really well.
There was only hartz and Adams brands at my Walmart. Does the flea busters sell in pet stores?

Topical treatment was Kroger brand fipronil. Probably not the most suggested method, but it's what I could afford when the kittens had all their fleas.

I know that getting rid of these fleas is going to be an ongoing process, but I want them gone now now now now NOW

There was only hartz and Adams brands at my Walmart. Does the flea busters sell in pet stores?

Topical treatment was Kroger brand fipronil. Probably not the most suggested method, but it's what I could afford when the kittens had all their fleas.

I don't think so. You can get it on Amazon, and some clinics might sell it? Or another stronger environmental treatment.

I'd call your vet and ask what flea products they rec for the area. Theyll probably be more expensive but hopefully kill everything.

so....the off brand stuff seems to work less well than frontline, which is having some efficacy problems. if you have a personal vet you can see if they carry cheristin or activyl (newer drugs). Or try to find advantage (cat kind only please).

Hartz and Adams are like the worst. It's better to buy a cheap, crappy flea collar and put it in the canister or bag of your vacuum and vacuum daily.

so....the off brand stuff seems to work less well than frontline, which is having some efficacy problems. if you have a personal vet you can see if they carry cheristin or activyl (newer drugs). Or try to find advantage (cat kind only please).

Hartz and Adams are like the worst. It's better to buy a cheap, crappy flea collar and put it in the canister or bag of your vacuum and vacuum daily.
I figured that was the case. The off brand was the only thing I could afford at the time. Since she rubbed off the last dose Tuesday, would she be okay to add advantage now? My other option is to give her daily dawn baths until I can get ahold of my vet on Monday (they're closed today).

Glad the Hartz was cheap at least. Don't feel like I wasted too much buying the powder. I'll pick up a couple flea collars for the vacuum and my cats today.

I figured that was the case. The off brand was the only thing I could afford at the time. Since she rubbed off the last dose Tuesday, would she be okay to add advantage now? My other option is to give her daily dawn baths until I can get ahold of my vet on Monday (they're closed today).

Glad the Hartz was cheap at least. Don't feel like I wasted too much buying the powder. I'll pick up a couple flea collars for the vacuum and my cats today.
no no no. not on the cats. they can have reactions.

I think wait another week to be safe

Flea collars suck, we would usually pull them off the dogs/cats that came in because they tend to get irritated.

It's off-label use, but at animal control we would buy packs of revolution for huge dogs and then individually dose it out for smaller animals. I know one pack of the 120 mg/ml concentration of revolution for extra large dogs (3 doses in a pack) was enough for about 24 adult cats when you dosed it out, so it ended up being really cost effective for us. We used to recommend the same to some people in our community with low funds but a large number of animals (our city ordinances allowed for up to 6 pets in a house) because otherwise they just wouldn't use flea control at all and their animals would all get sick. Revolution is a pretty great product, though unfortunately it doesn't control tapeworms (dang cestodes! :sendoff:) so if you have already seen fleas on your cat you should keep an eye out for any wormy friends she may have picked up.

Of course, it's one of those things that you should definitely talk to your vet about before doing (especially to make sure you're getting the dosing right and not medicating the heck out of your cat), but in the long run it can be a viable cost effective option for flea control.

Here's a little information on it from UC Davis' Koret Shelter Medicine Program: http://www.sheltermedicine.com/library/selamectin-revolution-dosing-chart

Flea collars suck, we would usually pull them off the dogs/cats that came in because they tend to get irritated.

It's off-label use, but at animal control we would buy packs of revolution for huge dogs and then individually dose it out for smaller animals. I know one pack of the 120 mg/ml concentration of revolution for extra large dogs (3 doses in a pack) was enough for about 24 adult cats when you dosed it out, so it ended up being really cost effective for us. We used to recommend the same to some people in our community with low funds but a large number of animals (our city ordinances allowed for up to 6 pets in a house) because otherwise they just wouldn't use flea control at all and their animals would all get sick. Revolution is a pretty great product, though unfortunately it doesn't control tapeworms (dang cestodes! :sendoff:) so if you have already seen fleas on your cat you should keep an eye out for any wormy friends she may have picked up.

Of course, it's one of those things that you should definitely talk to your vet about before doing (especially to make sure you're getting the dosing right and not medicating the heck out of your cat), but in the long run it can be a viable cost effective option for flea control.

Here's a little information on it from UC Davis' Koret Shelter Medicine Program: http://www.sheltermedicine.com/library/selamectin-revolution-dosing-chart
a few things:

flea collars suck except for seresto. And it's mostly because they have very focal action. Hence, they are excellent to use in vacuums where fleas cannot escape. would never put one on an animal.

Please don't recommend off label use. And there are enough issues with people mixing up advantix and advantage as it is.

You can't get revolution without a prescription from a doctor because it has heartworm prevention.

20160827_193339.jpg
Some of the ladies if the farm say it's dinner time.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know how I ended up with a cat that likes to attack my feet/legs when he's feeling playful or after he's been super affectionate but here I am...sigh. Figure it must be something I did or am doing but I don't know what and I have no idea how to stop the behavior. Just realized this morning I've got a little road map of superficial scratches (from his teeth) on my lower left leg.