All American Institute of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darksyde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. I hope this is posted in the right area. Has anyone ever heard of this Med school AAIMS ? Is located in Jamaica but seems to offer the US curriculum. Im Jamaican so Im not familiar with certifications/accreditation need by a US university so Im asking before I take that plunge. Here's a link to the accreditation section of their site: http://www.aaims.edu.jm/aboutus_accreditation.html

according to this page graduates can do residency in the US but I'd like a second opinion. Has anyone heard of or is a grad of AAIMS or know where i could find information to verfy their claims?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Its not LCME accredited. I think it would still be considered a foreign school, so you might have trouble getting a US residency. But I honestly don't know

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick responses.

Sent from my Bold 9790 using Tapatalk

If your goal is to get a residency and practice in the US, it's a bad idea.

So i did a little research on LCME, but they only accredit programs located in the US and Canada. are you saying students from other countries will have a hard time getting internships and residencies in the US.

So i did a little research on LCME, but they only accredit programs located in the US and Canada. are you saying students from other countries will have a hard time getting internships and residencies in the US.

Yep. This website is a great resource for this issue. In short: residency positions are subsidized primarily by American tax dollars, and give preference to American medical school graduates. American medical schools have gradually increased their class sizes over the past decade in response to a predicted large-scale physician shortage, while residency positions have remained relatively stagnant. As a result, it has become (and will continue to become) increasingly difficult for foreign/international students to obtain residency positions in the US.

If your goal is to end up practicing in the US, make sure you do a lot of research before applying to medical school internationally.

Ok. Thanks again.

Sent from my Bold 9790 using Tapatalk